Stats: 3,151,175 members, 7,811,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It (20517 Views)

Which School To Best Apply For Computer Science In Nigeria. / Studying Computer Science At 40? / Can I Be A Good Programmer Without Studying Computer Science In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 1:56pm On Feb 20, 2022
tctrills:

Stop confusing the young man. Money is a great motivation to get an education or to learn a skill.
If you are not motivated by money, others are.
I wake up every morning thinking of how much I would make that is my deal.
We all can't be like you

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by nnemak(m): 2:22pm On Feb 20, 2022
Its great, with computer Science you are not boxed to any of the divisions within ICT: Software, Hardware, Networking , Cyber Security, Data Science, etc.

You can be whatever you want to be and your degree gives you an edge over those that would want to come onboard via other means.

But you have two important things to focus on now,
1. Get very good grades in school.
2. Get hands-on skills outside school.
Follow trends, at this initial stage locate the nearest GDG and be a part, identify yourself with the cyber cafe or ICT hub around you, in church join the ICT unit.
By your 3rd year give a certification a shoot, by then you should have affinity toward a particular ICT sector.

I did computer Science over 20+ ago, and it's easy to run to any of the new spinoffs of computer Science... all the best

Tobedated:
i'm planning on studying computer science in unilorin but it seems the public consensus is that computer science taught in nigeria university is outdated so is it worth the money and time to still study it.
I love computer science but i'm mainly doing it for the money and i'm currently learning python so is it worth going to study it in the university to get the certificate or being self-taught is better

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Legendguy(m): 2:28pm On Feb 20, 2022
SeriouslySense:
What about University of the people, its an online American university and its says its tuition free.

It has computer science, if you are at home still struggling to gain admission, you can just apply and start there, if Nigerian University are not ready to accept you or proving too good. LOL

https://www.uopeople.edu/
Have you enrolled for University of the people.
I tried enrolling in d past but was told to pay certain amount of money

Also Saylor academy has free e-material, then i think it has test online that assesses your knowledge and then you can be like a graduate who has being taught the necessary curriculum as a self taught or online student.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Jennifer89(f): 2:45pm On Feb 20, 2022
pvicky:

I am really interesting in this Google admob. But the problem is issue of trust in Nigeria. I have been scammed before. And this have made me not to trust a lot of people. Are you honest with your words....
Also I can't find your contact details.

So you want to be scammed again
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by ChiefS(m): 3:02pm On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:
i'm planning on studying computer science in unilorin but it seems the public consensus is that computer science taught in nigeria university is outdated so is it worth the money and time to still study it.
I love computer science but i'm mainly doing it for the money and i'm currently learning python so is it worth going to study it in the university to get the certificate or being self-taught is better
A thousand and one people have studied computer science in Nigerian Universities and excelled in their chosen vocation. A lot depends on you and not the institution.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Babaelemu: 3:04pm On Feb 20, 2022
https://musik-player-project.netlify.app/

https://phonebook-storage.netlify.app/

Please review my app it not responsive if viewing on mobile devices you'll have to enable view as desktop site somewhere on your browser setting.

IMO i don't think it a bad idea to go study the course and on other hand do some certifications mind you I'm a forklift driver and i code just for Fun

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by rottable(m): 3:05pm On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:
If you are doing it for the money, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. Yes there is presently a lot of money in Tech, but the most successful folks are motivated by things other than money.

I got into tech long ago. Many years before it started hitting the spot light locally. My motivation then (and now) is to solve problems whether I make a buck or not. I ha e done several personal projects purely for the fun of it and wanting to know how certain things work.

God bless you Sir
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by jclassiq(m): 3:33pm On Feb 20, 2022
Why not save money and time and just do a professional program in any IT academy like Aptech and the rest.

Computer science in nigeria is not worth it.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by bluefilm: 3:39pm On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:

It's a total waste of time.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Youngzedd(m): 3:41pm On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:

Don't waste your time, go to Edx.org and be useful.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by jakizio42(m): 4:03pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Yes it's worth it. You will learn data structures and systems design. If you are going in I will advise you to make leetcode your friend from day one. With even a pass degree, so long as you can solve at least half of the questions on leetcode. A multi million naira a month job is waiting for you on graduation.

Are u on reddit
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Trymeagain: 4:07pm On Feb 20, 2022
Tobedated:

No
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Badilstical(m): 4:48pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Continue deceiving yourself. I got my first remote job after 8 months of learning on my own. A nairalander here who is still learning got a remote job with a netherlands company. She hasnt learnt for six months.

How una the get this remote jobs na?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Eyakuare: 5:13pm On Feb 20, 2022
My brother it's more than worth it. Get the university degree first thereafter you can add other certifications like python and the rest.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by flam5: 5:17pm On Feb 20, 2022
Op, computer science(cs) is far beyond the python language you are learning. Do a proper research before you begin. I think people mistake cs for just programming, that is why they say it's outdated. You will be drilled in various aspects, with ABSTRACT maths as the foundation. You could see someone talking about how very hard leetcode is, maybe because he doesn't have CS background. Think about these things before making your choice.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 20, 2022
Can someone tell me why someone will go to covenant university to study biochemistry?

Biochemistry of all course, course that they give to people that didn't reach medicine and surgery cut off mark.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by deluxeT(m): 6:17pm On Feb 20, 2022
Uncharted56:
I am free tonight and you I hate keyboard warriors like you, that job ad on my app is a test ad and also it is when the job ad expires to show that you don't read well, the app itself is still in development and I am posting to get people to test the app. It's mofos like you that claim to be everything and I hate people like you. I could kill you don't test me, you don't know my story and you are busy typing nonsense from behind your phone, you think I'm like other programmers I am a hard born hustler boy, I've been on the streets.

Useless piece of shit

I will eat your meat, meet me face to face and I will show you what survival has done to me in this harsh economy, I will decend all my anger on your useless face and break that useless hand you are using to type rubbish, try me if you get mind.

You really get mind to call me small boy.

Thank you Seun for this platform.
At least,we can smile no matter how depressed one is.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:40pm On Feb 20, 2022
SeriouslySense:
cheesy cheesy, I remember when i did some courses In a Nigerian University XX with a computer science department, they were so scared we might spoil the computer, even when we were typing, we were also scared lol.

And we used mostly Fortran, anyway it was a basic intro, into algorithms and their flow chart, and procedural programming.

Although the environment was so rushed and fearful, i developed interest, one does not really gain anything in such a tense atmosphere, online tutorials, having my personal computer, and the ease of access coupled with self Study definitely made me a professional.

There are so many online resources, free and paid, i recommend one should be very observational, and bookmark the resources online.

There are bootcamps, even schools, and places, where one can gain experience, i consider Nigerian universities as sad places and trash.

What's wrong with learning to code in FORTRAN? I learned to code in BASIC which is even older than FORTRAN. And I also learned FORTRAN in school. The programming language learnt in school is only a means of expressing the concepts and algorithms learned in programming. And oh, I forgot to also mention that I work remotely for a foreign based firm. And I studied I. A Nigerian University. And live here as well. If you know where to look, you'd be taken aback by the number of (well-paid) openings available for FORTRAN programmers.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:42pm On Feb 20, 2022
lexy2014:

Are you the one that gave them the jobs? How do u no that there are less than 1000leetcodr users in Nigeria? Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to? What is FAANG?

If you don't know FAANG then you shouldn't be making sweeping comments, especially about leetcode and IT openings. My candid advice is to start of by doing research.

Facebook
Apple
Amazon
Netflix
Google

FAANG

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:48pm On Feb 20, 2022
Indispensable85:
Go do for road side. Nigeria university own nor get practicals and have old curriculum.
Imagine they're still doing fortran,pascal and na even theory sef. Nonsense

I really laugh when people say this. Berate PASCAL and FORTRAN. Languages that I also learnt. What is bad in learning them? Don't you also have to implement Quick Sort or Breadth First Search in these languages? Don't you use Linked Lists and arrays there? Let me tell you from experience, learning in these languages sef is even good as you learn old school techniques of strongly typed languages. I'm a pupil of both languages, and learning to program with them did not in anyway limit my chances of getting employment. The most important thing is to always self-develop

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:50pm On Feb 20, 2022
Golan007:

But why is it that you guys have no idea who the person at the other end is, yet you insult and threaten them like you are all powerful.

It is worse when someone eventually finds you are still quite young with very little to back up your claims.

Golan, leave that small boy alone. I was going to bring our heavy artillery for him until I did a background check. Not worth it and I honestly feel stupid to have engaged him

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:51pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Na I am not. I earn about 50k working for a no name Nigerian firm but you can't use me as an example to play for yourself

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Best to keep the disguise on make your NL followers no go explode
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:54pm On Feb 20, 2022
nnemak:
Its great, with computer Science you are not boxed to any of the divisions within ICT: Software, Hardware, Networking , Cyber Security, Data Science, etc.

You can be whatever you want to be and your degree gives you an edge over those that would want to come onboard via other means.

But you have two important things to focus on now,
1. Get very good grades in school.
2. Get hands-on skills outside school.
Follow trends, at this initial stage locate the nearest GDG and be a part, identify yourself with the cyber cafe or ICT hub around you, in church join the ICT unit.
By your 3rd year give a certification a shoot, by then you should have affinity toward a particular ICT sector.

I did computer Science over 20+ ago, and it's easy to run to any of the new spinoffs of computer Science... all the best

20+ years ago! Take me back to the old days comrade. When we coded and saved the code on diskettes. Diskettes sef were an upgrade from saving them on TDK radio cassettes with our computer connected to TVs.

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:56pm On Feb 20, 2022
jakizio42:

Are u on reddit

I am. And that's were I get most of my remote jobs from. Reddit though is not a job hunting platform but if you play the game right there are easy pickings there

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:58pm On Feb 20, 2022
Nuttella:
Can someone tell me why someone will go to covenant university to study biochemistry?

Biochemistry of all course, course that they give to people that didn't reach medicine and surgery cut off mark.

Same Biochemistry that people are using to get remote jobs while in Nigeria?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 6:59pm On Feb 20, 2022
deluxeT:

Thank you Seun for this platform.
At least,we can smile no matter how depressed one is.

Na my "meat" he say he wan chop o. And I was entertained as well
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 7:01pm On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

If you don't know FAANG then you shouldn't be making sweeping comments, especially about leetcode and IT openings. My candid advice is to start of by doing research.

Facebook
Apple
Amazon
Netflix
Google

FAANG

I haven't made any comment. I only asked u questions which u unable to answer. Is comment & question d same thing? Meanwhile,

Are you the one that gave them the jobs? How do u no that there are less than 1000leetcodr users in Nigeria? Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to? What is FAANG?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 7:04pm On Feb 20, 2022
lexy2014:

I haven't made any comment. I only asked u questions which u unable to answer. Is comment & question d same thing? Meanwhile,

You are still asking what FAANG is when I literally posted it there?

Like I said in the screen grab, you really need to start doing your research

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 7:09pm On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You are still asking what FAANG is when I literally posted it there?

Like I said in the screen grab, you really need to start doing your research

Since u have done your research, how come answering d following questions is a challenge for u?

1. Are you the one that gave them the jobs?

2. How do u no that there are less than 1000leetcodr users in Nigeria?

3. Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to?

4. What is FAANG?

NB: FAANG is an acronym. I didn't ask u for a list. I asked "what is FAANG"?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 7:11pm On Feb 20, 2022
lexy2014:

Since u have done your research, how come answering d following questions is a challenge for u?

1. Are you the one that gave them the jobs?

2. How do u no that there are less than 1000leetcodr users in Nigeria?

3. Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to?

4. What is FAANG?

NB: FAANG is an acronym. I didn't ask u for a list. I asked "what is FAANG"?

FANG and subsequently FAANG also known as the Tech Giants, Big Four, or Big Five, is a name given to the presently four or five largest, most dominant, and most prestigious companies in the information technology industry of the United States.

Regarding your question about Nigerian Leetcode users, the data is there if you care to query the sources.

Am I the one that have them the jobs? No. But the community of remote workers working for these companies is a small very elite group. They are out there working discretely for their employers to avoid unnecessary attention

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Laryfrosh: 7:14pm On Feb 20, 2022
[quote author=lexy2014 post=11038481

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App / Viewing And Creating Reports In Java - Share Ur Experiences / So You Want To Be A Programmer...?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73