Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,026 members, 7,849,140 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 03:08 PM

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) - Properties (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) (294562 Views)

How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 12:21pm On Jan 07, 2012
steo:

@Prince, your plastering cost is not that bad, considering you are building in Lagos too. I know it can always be better, at least you can now bargain better when you are doing the top work.

Thanks guys for all the valuable information!!
For sure I have learned a lot both on different building threads here and from my little experience doing my down floor.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 1:22pm On Jan 07, 2012
@ Obamedo, yes you need to. But there are so many fake treatment materials out there. I will not treat mine just now, till after the roofing, then I will spray it with one chemical solution.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by diordaves(m): 1:32pm On Jan 07, 2012
spyder880:

3x4x12 = Inyi
2x4x18 = ebenebe
2x3x12 = ebenebe

Spyder880, do you by chance know the botanical names of those woods? As you know, not all your well wishers are East based, so may struggle to apply this useful wood knowledge in other parts of the country because I guess those names are local parlance.

Guys, if you have confirmed knowledge of the best (weak, poor) prevalent roofing wood in your part of the country please kindly share with the local names and if known, the botanical names.

Guys, if you must protest do so peacefully and stay safe. Too many blood shed so far.  We shouldn't " die for Nigeria", rather "live for Nigeria" to build not only our homes but also a better future for our children.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by za85: 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2012
@ spyder
these recent pics did the house a lot of justice. One can see that it is the camera or the way the pics were taken was the problem and not the house its self that is bended. smiley and man is it really coming out good. Nice !
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 3:52pm On Jan 07, 2012
@ Diordaves, e hard o, lol. I have an A in Agricultural science and another upper credit in Biology back in the my SSCE days. But to remember those botanical names, money don wipe some knowledge off my head. But I will try, maybe give it one weekend and identify the species and their botanical names.

@za85, na the camera. Everyday I notice that it doesnt give enough credit to our perfection efforts.
Meanwhile the carpenter has not started with the roof yet, he is still correcting some things before the roofing. The guy is asking for N150k to do only wood work for the roof. I will still beat him down to around N120k.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by diordaves(m): 4:55pm On Jan 07, 2012
Spyder880, I can imagine the difficulty with the botanical names. Can you imagine that I did technical drawing and woodwork in Secondary School but thought nothing of it because I felt both subject had no bearing to my career path. I boast of Warri/Sapele (center of timber) as my home but knows nothing about timber/wood. Na wa o! On my next visit home, I think I should research this because timber/wood is a hugely neglected and undermined facet in the building industry in Nigeria. I believe more could be done in the deployment of wood as decking, partitioning/cladding, flooring etc to bring down the overall cost of building or maybe not.

Come to think of it, why is wood so expensive in Nigeria and most are of poor quality? Why can't we treat wood (factory treated) to resist the elements in Nigeria like in the west? Why is it impossible to find Nigerian Engineered Wood doors which are normally rock bottom cheap and durable here in the UK with little forest.

Well done sha.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 7:33pm On Jan 07, 2012
Teach us more, we are willing and learning
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Favourme2: 9:06pm On Jan 07, 2012
Just opened a separate thread for my proposed building.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-841271.0.html#msg9915941

Architect is currently drawing up the plan. my plan is to kick start the building by March. Please, gurus in the house remember to visit my thread and guide me through.

Just one thing: my supervisor is suggesting we use 6inches block instead of 9 inches since its only a storey building with just 1 decking. He said if I am building like 2 storey building, 9inches block would have been ideal.

Please, is this right? All I want is a strong building that will last. If 6inches will be enough, then I can save money from there.Please, what is your opinion?

Thank you.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Kingekeh(m): 9:18pm On Jan 07, 2012
I spent almost 44 million on mine. Size and location depends though.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 10:49pm On Jan 07, 2012
Cant stop loving all that is happening
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 11:33pm On Jan 07, 2012
Favour_me:

Just opened a separate thread for my proposed building.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-841271.0.html#msg9915941

Architect is currently drawing up the plan. my plan is to kick start the building by March. Please, gurus in the house remember to visit my thread and guide me through.

Just one thing: my supervisor is suggesting we use 6inches block instead of 9 inches since its only a storey building with just 1 decking. He said if I am building like 2 storey building, 9inches block would have been ideal.

Please, is this right? All I want is a strong building that will last. If 6inches will be enough, then I can save money from there.Please, what is your opinion?

Thank you.

Hollow blocks or solid?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by sixtus4: 11:49pm On Jan 07, 2012
Uploading the building plan is not the issue,but the dimension needs to be in detail
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Favourme2: 2:31pm On Jan 08, 2012
spyder880:

Hollow blocks or solid?

I think its solid but will confirm later when I speak with him.

But can you advice me on both types of block. If its solid, is 6 inches ok? If hollow, what is normal?

Also, which is better: solid or hollow? And what is the current price per hollow and solid block. I will like to hear from you first before I speak to my supervisor so that I can make better and informed suggestions to him.

Thank you.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 2:50pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^^ please look at my other thread, I think most of those questions were answere there "The technology of block making" if you dont find the answers you seek, ask from there and I will come there and answer, lets not derail this one. Looking out for your question,bye.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Kingekeh(m): 3:21pm On Jan 08, 2012
Double post.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by benimeogu(f): 2:16am On Jan 09, 2012
F
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 3:21am On Jan 09, 2012
Busy all day and could not be around to learn . . . any homework for us please?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 4:49am On Jan 09, 2012
Kingekeh:

@Spyder880 , I'm rather surprised as it seemed to me, you have intentionally wished not to provide me an answer to my request .  Please help , it is very important to me . Below is my request;

@Spyder880 , recommend to me a good anti termite chemical solution to spray on my roofed duplex . Please, this is very important to me , because I was been informed by my people back home that termites have started wreaking havoc around the building surroundings .

Meanwhile, more grease to your elbow, the shape of your house is coming out nice .

Solignum is the most popular one, there is another one I cannot remember its name now, sold in a bottle shaped container, odorless. I will supply the name by the end of the day, or ask anyone that sells solignum to show you another brand of termite killers.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Kingekeh(m): 10:07am On Jan 09, 2012
Double post.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by bisanjay: 3:18pm On Jan 11, 2012
@ spyder880, Flamming, & Princenox

i am fellow nairalander- i started catching up on the thread recently, and have see the great work you guys are doing. well done. i intends to start walling the top floor of my 2 blocks of 3 bedroom flat. i understood from Spyder880's answer to Princeoxn question that he would need about 4000 blocks to complete from decking to roofing level. from your experience how much do you think would be ideal cost of bricklayer job (to set the blocks) from decking to roofing level (including lintel and the layers after lintel). i thinks i'm about to be ripped-off by my bricklayer who is demanding N150,000 to set block to lintel. what do you think? could this proposal not have been enough to compete the job to roofing level ? pls i need your advise
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by steo: 3:44pm On Jan 11, 2012
@bisanjay,if this will be of any help, I paid N50 per block laid (bricklayer & helper) for up work and N40 for down work. Mine is in Ajah area of lagos, as you may already know that location can increase/decrease cost.

Assuming you are using 4000 blocks to roofing level at the rate of N50 per block laid, that will equal N200,000. So, N150,000 to lintel level is not far from the truth. I personally don't think you are being ripped off.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by sixtus4: 4:34pm On Jan 11, 2012
One good thing i have learnt on site is to be proactive in all expenses.Having being on site for four years now it has being a great experience.There is a lot to learn,technical aspect,managing funds,cordination of workers on site.communication method etc.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 5:19pm On Jan 11, 2012
I guess Nigeria is on fire thus, all these cancelled class lectures
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 11:01pm On Jan 11, 2012
bisanjay:

i am fellow nairalander- i started catching up on the thread recently, and have see the great work you guys are doing. well done. i intends to start walling the top floor of my 2 blocks of 3 bedroom flat.  i understood from Spyder880's answer to Princeoxn question that he would need about 4000 blocks to complete from decking to roofing level. from your experience how much do you think would be ideal cost of bricklayer job (to set the blocks) from decking to roofing level (including lintel and the layers after lintel). i thinks i'm about to be ripped-off by my bricklayer who is demanding N150,000 to set block to lintel. what do you think? could this proposal not have been enough to compete the job to roofing level ?  pls i need your advise 

I dont think its too much, especially in areas like Lagos, I charged a prospective client 95k for a floor block work in Enugu and he is telling me its too much. This amount includes the block setting money and the money for guys serving masons.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 12:31am On Jan 12, 2012
work will resume on this site by tomorrow as my men moves back to top some blocks, cast some concrete and get this house ready for roofing, the roofing wood are already on the ground.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 1:05am On Jan 12, 2012
bisanjay:

i am fellow nairalander- i started catching up on the thread recently, and have see the great work you guys are doing. well done. i intends to start walling the top floor of my 2 blocks of 3 bedroom flat. i understood from Spyder880's answer to Princeoxn question that he would need about 4000 blocks to complete from decking to roofing level. from your experience how much do you think would be ideal cost of bricklayer job (to set the blocks) from decking to roofing level (including lintel and the layers after lintel). i thinks i'm about to be ripped-off by my bricklayer who is demanding N150,000 to set block to lintel. what do you think? could this proposal not have been enough to compete the job to roofing level ? pls i need your advise

Ol'boy long time! good to hear that you're are getting set to wall the top of your house. I have not started walling mine yet so I won't be in the best position to advise you on prices but I still recall my contractor said N40 per block which is about N160,000 if we use the estimated 4,000 blocks and that does not include labourer.
Men! it will also be nice to see some pictures of your project so far or shot me an email if you still have my mail address. Good luck!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 3:11pm On Jan 12, 2012
Another day with so much to learn . .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by atasteve: 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2012
spyder880:

I dont think its too much, especially in areas like Lagos, I charged a prospective client 95k for a floor block work in Enugu and he is telling me its too much. This amount includes the block setting money and the money for guys serving masons.
I agree with the guru himself. The price is fair for 4000 blocks, if you can squeeze the guy to give you some discount will be an added advantage for u.
The guy that is complaining that 95k is too much should be careful less he gets into the hands of the quack engineers
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 12:22pm On Jan 13, 2012
@All,
I have tp appologize for being elusive for sometime now, actually in Nigeria and access to in ternet has been eractic coupled with the NLC and TUC struggle, whic to me is legitimate, cos the price of building wares has soar to high heavens, in any case i agree with a brother that adviced those outside Niaja to make out time to visit and supervise thier project on this, i can not tell you how fast my porject has gone just beacause i made out time to get my feet and clothe soiled cos i have been going to site and will still go to site until i travel back.
Before my entry to Nigeria i was at the fillimg stage which was not even completed as against information reaching while away, but currently i have done the german floor and even at lintel levels. i will update with pic soon, i am open for advice and counter advice. Long live NL long liuve the gurus and students alike.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 2:37pm On Jan 13, 2012
Morning, People
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 8:07pm On Jan 13, 2012
Roofing woodwork workmanship settled at N130,000. This amount will include the wooden skeleton, the ceiling noggings, the outer scaffold labour, the ceiling installation. Roofing starts tomorrow morning.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by sixtus4: 9:09pm On Jan 13, 2012
you are doing great,keep it up

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (93) (Reply)

Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.