Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,204 members, 7,815,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act (35213 Views)

NATO Rejects Ukraine's No-fly Zone Request / Zelensky: If West Won't Impose No-fly Zone, "Give Me The Planes" / "It Means I Won" - Trump Reacts To Georgian Governor's Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by XTHRONE(m): 1:39pm On Mar 02, 2022
ken6488:

Ukraine capital is already under attack

Who doesn't know that Russia is stronger than Ukraine
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by dappydozzy(m): 1:40pm On Mar 02, 2022
KingEverest:
That journalist was very emotional I really felt her emotions, but NATO can't enforce a no fly zone unfortunately it will be declaration of war on Russia

No fly zones are place over the airspace of countries which have lesser military capabilities than you. placing one on Ukraine will escalate the situation.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by ken6488(m): 1:41pm On Mar 02, 2022
XTHRONE:

Who doesn't know that Russia is stronger than Ukraine
that the main reason the foolish president should ha stayed neutral
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Deepthoughts: 1:45pm On Mar 02, 2022
grandlexuz:

Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania are all very small countries. Spying Russia from Ukraine could be easier done than elsewhere. Russia has an interwined history with Ukraine that transcends the days of USSR.
If their interwined history was good would Russia need to use force to compell Ukraine to remain in alliance with them?such interwined history isn't a justification because it's clear it was never a fair history.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by KingEverest: 1:46pm On Mar 02, 2022
dappydozzy:

No fly zones are place over the airspace of countries which have lesser military capabilities than you. placing one on Ukraine will escalate the situation.
you're not getting the point, who will place the no fly zone and who will enforce it? If NATO place it then it means they have to enforce it and wat does that mean? Shooting down Russian planes undecided

1 Like

Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Keegan: 1:46pm On Mar 02, 2022
XTHRONE:

Many kids are on this forum, this is one. What is wrong with being a comedian.

And you don't ask yourself what's wrong in calling a comedian comedian?
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Deepthoughts: 1:50pm On Mar 02, 2022
wink2015:

President Vladimir Putin is using this Invasion of Ukraine to draw the REDLINES over what has been the constant tradition of the west to take countries that were part of the former soviet republics to join NATO.

Infact, he had endured this pains for so long till the west got him charged up to fight back.

Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, etc are now NATO members.

Russia is not happy with this development as Russia told the west not to advance Eastward into former Soviet territory.

BRITAIN, USA AND THE EU with their KNOW KNOW kept on cripping into Russia controlled state.

UKRAINE represent the last warning.
If communism were good, would these countries you mentioned drift towards the West n away from Russia, Russia is still wrong.

1 Like

Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by EkelediliBuhari: 1:51pm On Mar 02, 2022
legba1:

True about the USA, but I believe Putin had not been too caring along his corridor of influence to have made nations bordering Russia to want to join NATO. And with this invasion, Ukraine"s fear of Russia high handedness is not misplaced...He was always going to do it regardless

Neither has USA been to Mexico or Cuba

Neither has Britain been… ie BRExIT
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Kindledlight(m): 1:53pm On Mar 02, 2022
HigherEd:

Yea the comedian is on the street fighting in the trenches with his people, while the KGB coward is hiding inside a bunker when no man chase him.

Please tell them ooo

Nigerians and hypocrisy, they condemn Buhari but Putin is the best thing to happen to them.

I don kuku stop wasting my time commenting or quoting because most of them here are just too myopic and hypocrites.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Deepthoughts: 1:57pm On Mar 02, 2022
27Pushing30:

Estonia population - Just above 1m
Latvia population - Close to 2m
Lithuania population - close to 3m

...Ukraine population ? - 41m

If you critically look at those numbers alone you should understand ... if you don't then sorry keep being misled being CNN.
I thought the worry of Russia was NATO having bases in territories very close to their borders,many of the former USSR or WARSAW PACT countries who are now in NATO share land borders with Russia but Russia ignore them n pick on Ukraine that was yet to gain NATO membership,why?
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by babyfaceafrica: 2:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
XTHRONE:

Many kids are on this forum, this is one. What is wrong with being a comedian.
Nothing, except they think everything is a joke
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Oyiboman69: 2:10pm On Mar 02, 2022
ichidodo:
No fly zone would escalate the conflict from regional war to a global catastrophe....
nothing will happen if they declare it...Russia like I said will be exterminated if they try to use what ever weapon they so desired and all their allies won't do shit...
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Pharmboy24: 2:30pm On Mar 02, 2022
Hanibbal:
Zelensky the comedian wants NATO to place a no-fly zone on a powerful nuclear armed state like Russia as if Russia is Somalia/Libya/Iraq.

Only a clown reason this way o. Ukraine don enter one chance with this Zelensky the comedian.
Zelensky once a clown will forever be a clown
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by adedehinbo(m): 2:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
favour32:
Those wey dey happy because Ukrainians dey die due to Russia attack....
na so their misfortune go be and people go dey happy too.
hope you also said this when libya was bombarded and gadaffi killed
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by XTHRONE(m): 3:01pm On Mar 02, 2022
ken6488:
that the main reason the foolish president should ha stayed neutral

Pray you don't meet bullies, they never stop demanding
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by XTHRONE(m): 3:05pm On Mar 02, 2022
Keegan:

And you don't ask yourself what's wrong in calling a comedian comedian?

Nope, calling him a comedian president sounds awkward, he just making a show of it, he is a lawyer,, is more like a medical doctor who picks a proffesion of making comedy, if he eventually becomes a president people will tag him a comedian forgetting what he first was.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by XTHRONE(m): 3:08pm On Mar 02, 2022
ken6488:

Ukraine capital is already under attack

They are marching into a trap. Did you see how they are moving in a convoy unopposed. Ukraine are waiting to serve them breakfast
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by ken6488(m): 3:13pm On Mar 02, 2022
XTHRONE:

Pray you don't meet bullies, they never stop demanding
this is a pointless war
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by XTHRONE(m): 3:16pm On Mar 02, 2022
ken6488:
this is a pointless war

Blame Putin.attacking a sovereign nation for whatsoever reason is uncalled for. Any president that refuses to act is a sissy, a joke and a pubbet .
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Thetruthshallse(m): 3:57pm On Mar 02, 2022
Cowardly US and their lap dog uk and France but you can enforce in Libya. COWARD!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:13pm On Mar 02, 2022
JosephXavier:
Russia are loosing this war because they don't have any influence in international politics and secondly because they don't control the media

Russia needs to get themselves involved beyond Europe just like China did beyond Asia

China exported their language and culture(through Chinese movies and restaurants)

They exported their technology ( cars and electronic gadgets)

They exported their companies (Tecno, Hawaii and infinix)

They are exporting their intellects who work in other regions of the world and now control Africa in terms of business and Trade

That is the exact thing Russia should do

Export their language, invest in other countries just as china did ( boy this, I don't mean selling of AK 47 and military hardware to rebels)

Export their indigenous companies and invest more in IT and technologies

Export their goods more to Africa and Asia and even South America

Set up international media giants to protect their interests and project their voice just as US did with CNN

Open their border to immigrants (especially skilled immigrants) just as Canada is doing
that's what I v been saying.
Putin is jealous & think the west Hates Russia but it's his character that's killing the country. Stalin did it. Alexander did it in ancient times. Them swear for the country ni?
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Appleyard(m): 4:31pm On Mar 02, 2022
HigherEd:

Yea the comedian is on the street fighting in the trenches with his people, while the KGB coward is hiding inside a bunker when no man chase him.

Yeah, continue believing in western propaganda. The comedian president Zelensky is not even in Kiev anymore, hiding in a bunker Lvov. Just because he puts on a military suit doesn't mean he is in the frontlines fighting.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Invitationn: 4:31pm On Mar 02, 2022
XTHRONE:

I always mind my business, I just hate mis information, insensitivity and poor commenting or let's say inconsequential talks, it drives me mad, next time before you comment , make some research, don't just type because you feel you got to.
Oga, I have heard you. angry
I've work to do
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by kponkedenge(m): 4:41pm On Mar 02, 2022
Kastonkastroll:
I hate wasting my time with dimwits. I guess cnn and BBC fed you those gibberish. See mumu dey call north America. Who and who constitutes north America?

Mugu like you

Lol. Mumu man

All these countries came out from USSR: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan, a handful of them are in the EU and some are in NATO.... Only Belarus shares a good relationship with Russia, the rest would rather pitch their tent with EU and US without even forcing them to join.

Maybe, just maybe the problem is with Russia and not these countries or the West, but idiots like you wan die on top US matter....as if....if dem give you visa now, you won't go.

Ukraine is basically begging, begging to join EU and NATO... Is it the West that's pushing them? No!

They know Russia too well and know they can't trust them.

I don't know how else I'll explain this thing to people like you..... because you are already programmed to hate the West for whatever reason best known to you.

Maybe you should look at Russia and ask yourself why all those countries are running away from having a partnership with them.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Blackdisciple(m): 5:12pm On Mar 02, 2022
Hanibbal:
Zelensky the comedian wants NATO to place a no-fly zone on a powerful nuclear armed state like Russia as if Russia is Somalia/Libya/Iraq.

Only a clown reason this way o. Ukraine don enter one chance with this Zelensky the comedian.

Do he look like the afghan president who ran away allowing afghan civilians to be killed...
A comedian president is out there in military outfit fighting, clap for yourself
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by planetx: 6:53pm On Mar 02, 2022
jcross19:
ahahahahahaha who told you that Mr comedian is on the street? Ahahahahahahah funny Nigerian!!!.
Comedian that is hiding deep underground. The CNN reporter that interviewed him yesterday had to go through extensive diversion and security to get to him in his bunker.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by prettyboi1(m): 7:39pm On Mar 02, 2022
ivandragon:
Hmm...

A no-fly zone will certainly bring the West into direct conflict with Russia.

This war was unnecessary. Russia could have used progressively tougher political, economic, diplomatic & social sanctions to frustrate Ukraine being made a NATO member...

That Putin feels annexing Ukraine is the best way to stop Ukraine joining NATO shows that Ukrainians were right all along to be worried about the Russian threat...

Ukraine is an independent nation & reserves the right to defend its territory from external invasion... however, Zelensky needs to also quickly explore a diplomatic avenue out of the impasse while Putin needs to show good faith by halting further attacks & advances so as to give chance for a diplomatic resolution of the matter...

I love your point of view & I feel it's objective especially as you've acknowledged what both sides could have done better.

The thing is this though, Russia didn't just get to this decision overnight. It's taken many years of Russia appealing, pleading & even having a gentleman's agreement with the US/NATO for them (US/NATO) to stop expanding towards them(Russia) as at some point their expansion towards Russia would definitely be taken by Russia as a threat to Russia which is logical considering that US/NATO & Russia are sworn-enemies. NATO says they(NATO) are a defensive alliance & that Russia has nothing to worry about.

US/NATO have consistently flouted that understanding/agreement & now are exactly at Russia's borders & Russia now has to fight to protect itself....almost any country in Russia's shoes would do the same thing Russia is doing today(except if the country is not as powerful as the expanding opposition country). Russia & Ukraine share cultural & Historical ties & also are both soviet countries. Besides US/NATO(which are sworn-enemies of Russia & vice versa) flouting several agreements & expanding towards Russia, Russia certainly feels betrayed that Ukraine refused to stay Neutral & chose to side with its enemy & furthermore bring its enemy to its border.

If you watch Putin's Speech, you would be able to tell that he felt emotional about having to get to this point of fighting Ukraine(he kept sighing in between the speech) , but at this point his hands have been forced cos it's either Russia fights for the soul of its country or Russia gets crushed. In that same speech, he appealed to all Ukrainians that Russia's not fighting them but their government. He mentioned that the fight is a fight between US/NATO & Russia & they(US/NATO) used the Ukrainian government as a pawn for a proxy war against Russia & that the fact is that sooner or later US/NATO & Russia may have to face each other even of it takes 1000 years(seeing clearly that if NATO takes Ukraine, at some point in history, these two opposing powers of US/NATO & Russia would be face to face in a showdown & so it's better that Russia starts to protect its homeland now.

Anyways, I would post you the video of his speech so you understand it on your own terms.

Lastly, I'd attach a map of the countries around one axis of Russia. (NATO countries in blue, Russia in Red, Unaligned countries in Yellow.

See for yourself how NATO has almost completely encircled Russia on one wide of its borders & let me know what you'd do differently if you were Russia's president. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lasT-5Mrpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qS6J-WbTD8

Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by MikkySexy23(m): 7:58pm On Mar 02, 2022
KingEverest:
and who was Libya fighting? How do you guys reason sef? undecided my God

You are just being hypocritical. No matter Gaddafi's offence, his country was in Africa not Europe where NATO was supposed to cover.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by ivandragon: 8:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
prettyboi1:

I love your point of view & I feel it's objective especially as you've acknowledged what both sides could have done better.

The thing is this though, Russia didn't just get to this decision overnight. It's taken many years of Russia appealing, pleading & even having a gentleman's agreement with the US/NATO for them (US/NATO) to stop expanding towards them(Russia) as at some point their expansion towards Russia would definitely be taken by Russia as a threat to Russia which is logical considering that US/NATO & Russia are sworn-enemies. NATO says they(NATO) are a defensive alliance & that Russia has nothing to worry about.

US/NATO have consistently flouted that understanding/agreement & now are exactly at Russia's borders & Russia now has to fight to protect itself....almost any country in Russia's shoes would do the same thing Russia is doing today(except if the country is not as powerful as the expanding opposition country). Russia & Ukraine share cultural & Historical ties & also are both soviet countries. Besides US/NATO(which are sworn-enemies of Russia & vice versa) flouting several agreements & expanding towards Russia, Russia certainly feels betrayed that Ukraine refused to stay Neutral & chose to side with its enemy & furthermore bring its enemy to its border.

If you watch Putin's Speech, you would be able to tell that he felt emotional about having to get to this point of fighting Ukraine(he kept sighing in between the speech) , but at this point his hands have been forced cos it's either Russia fights for the soul of its country or Russia gets crushed. In that same speech, he appealed to all Ukrainians that Russia's not fighting them but their government. He mentioned that the fight is a fight between US/NATO & Russia & they(US/NATO) used the Ukrainian government as a pawn for a proxy war against Russia & that the fact is that sooner or later US/NATO & Russia may have to face each other even of it takes 1000 years(seeing clearly that if NATO takes Ukraine, at some point in history, these two opposing powers of US/NATO & Russia would be face to face in a showdown & so it's better that Russia starts to protect its homeland now.

Anyways, I would post you the video of his speech so you understand it on your own terms.

Lastly, I'd attach a map of the countries around one axis of Russia. (NATO countries in blue, Russia in Red, Unaligned countries in Yellow.

See for yourself how NATO has almost completely encircled Russia on one wide of its borders & let me know what you'd do differently if you were Russia's president. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lasT-5Mrpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qS6J-WbTD8

I have watched the videos before.

Nato's expansion East has always been viewed as provocative... but a pertinent question to ask is that why do former Soviet satellites find the west more attractive? Why do they feel Insecure with Russia?

Russia itself needs to address these issues which is what the satellites have also always complained about that Russia treats then like slave States & interferes too much in their internal affairs. Take Georgia for instance, Russia repeated attacked & annexed territories in Georgia & till today occupies some territory there.

Austria, Finland & some other countries in Europe far from Russia have nor be coerced or forced to join NATO.

For me, strong sanctions across board (political, economic etc) by Russia on Ukraine would have been the second phase of its resistance to Ukraine joining NATO.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by Benny6944: 8:27pm On Mar 02, 2022
ken6488:

Rubbish

Russia saved Europe from Hitler who captured Hitler?

Putin is fully aware NATO has nuke to

It is called Mutual assured destruction

Since NATO has nukes why don't they enforce the no fly zone?

You reason through your anus. its obvious. Why would they do it? Is Ukraine in EU? Right now Eu and nato are doing everything possible not to instigate WWIII, its obvious when it such happens its civilians that will surfer it most, not even the culprits. that's the ideas behind it which you have to understand to. If you don't want, go kill yourself
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by prettyboi1(m): 8:38pm On Mar 02, 2022
ivandragon:

I have watched the videos before.

Nato's expansion East has always been viewed as provocative... but a pertinent question to ask is that why do former Soviet satellites find the west more attractive? Why do they feel Insecure with Russia?

Russia itself needs to address these issues which is what the satellites have also always complained about that Russia treats then like slave States & interferes too much in their internal affairs. Take Georgia for instance, Russia repeated attacked & annexed territories in Georgia & till today occupies some territory there.

Austria, Finland & some other countries in Europe far from Russia have nor be coerced or forced to join NATO.

For me, strong sanctions across board (political, economic etc) by Russia on Ukraine would have been the second phase of its resistance to Ukraine joining NATO.

You have points. Here's the thing, Militarily, Russia will match the US pound for pound, science-wise, Russia would also match the US pound for pound, we can go on & on & mention a few things that Russia would match the US on. However, when it comes to cultural war, US trumps Russia by a wide margin. American culture is global & nobody really knows Russian culture.

It's the dominance of American culture that the US uses to more easily persuade and/or influence people & other countries. It's like Davido & Wizkid... They are both great musicians but David is more social & extroverted while Wizkid is more introverted. Davido certainly has more following on social media(people want to see him more) than Wizkid does cos he(Davido) is more extroverted & not necessarily because he(Davido) is better than Wizkid. Using that same analogy, US(the extrovert) has its culture spread all around the world & other countries see it more than Russia (the introvert) so they just want to have a bite of it(kind of like a superstar & how women troop after them).

In short, US's cultural dominance is what they use to persuade/influence other countries but since Russia doesn't have that level of cultural dominance, it lags behind the US in the aspect of influencing other countries.

Secondly, coercing or persuading (whichever one of them) countries far away from Russia to join NATO is not necessary to US/NATO if other countries closer to Russia are willing to be part of NATO. The closer you are to be able to strike your enemy, the better therefore I don't think US/NATO consider Austria as important/as valuable as Ukraine in this showdown.
Re: Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act by ivandragon: 8:47pm On Mar 02, 2022
prettyboi1:

You have points. Here's the thing, Militarily, Russia will match the US pound for pound, science-wise, Russia would also match the US pound for pound, we can go on & on & mention a few things that Russia would match the US on. However, when it comes to cultural war, US trumps Russia by a wide margin. American culture is global & nobody really knows Russian culture.

It's the dominance of American culture that the US uses to more easily persuade and/or influence people & other countries. It's like Davido & Wizkid... They are both great musicians but David is more social & extroverted while Wizkid is more introverted. Davido certainly has more following on social media(people want to see him more) than Wizkid does cos he(Davido) is more extroverted & not necessarily because he(Davido) is better than Wizkid. Using that same analogy, US(the extrovert) has its culture spread all around the world & other countries see it more than Russia (the introvert) so they just want to have a bite of it(kind of like a superstar & how women troop after them).

In short, US's cultural dominance is what they use to persuade/influence other countries but since Russia doesn't have that level of cultural dominance, it lags behind the US in the aspect of influencing other countries.

Secondly, coercing or persuading (whichever one of them) countries far away from Russia to join NATO is not necessary to US/NATO if other countries closer to Russia are willing to be part of NATO. The closer you are to be able to strike your enemy, the better therefore I don't think US/NATO consider Austria as important/as valuable as Ukraine in this showdown.

Well, our discussion boils down to one of perspective. I do not think Russia matches the US in the areas you mentioned. Culture is part of ideology & cannot be divorced from the instruments for 'expansion'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Trump Cancels Automatic Citizenship For Children Of US Citizens Born Abroad / Nigerian, Julia Oparah Appointed Provost Of University Of San Francisco / Biden Plans Reversing Trump's Jerusalem Move Despite Strong Objections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.