Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,693 members, 7,831,145 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users (29130 Views)

Threads Surpasses 95 Million Posts & 50 Million Users, As Musk Cries Foul / SIM Registration Of 95.7 Million Subscribers Invalid - NCC / Nigeria, South Africa Deepen Global Internet Penetration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by oilykid(m): 3:28pm On Mar 02, 2022
Basheer22:

Truth is Igbos are backwards in matters relating to digital tech. How many tech founders are Igbos compared to others? Very few.

Most tech startups are owned by igbos..go do your research..

The biggest startup by an African ever acquired by apple was founded by an igbo man and sold by $1billion dollars then..

How many are even owned by yorubas
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by shortIGBOman: 3:29pm On Mar 02, 2022
VEHINTOLAR:
It can't be a mere coincidence that every available growth and development indicator keeps returning negative for the South East. A pointer to the fact that all is not well with that region but some people would like to tell whosoever that cares to listen that everyone is a billionaire in that enclave !

Smart people would have used a report like this one and many more alike to make a genuine request for more federal presence and infrastructural developments in their region but ego won't allow Igbo people to do that ! What a shame ! Igbo man always wants to be seen as "the best" in everything even in the face of contradictory evidences ! He claims that he is the most marginalised yet he won't stop bragging over nothing ! The region's IGR performance is nothing to write home about,Internet penetration report is woeful and Ekene di Chuckwu buses keep arriving other regions in droves ! What does that tell anyone ? Your guess is as good as mine;there is high level poverty in the East !

It's worst than this. When you come to the East, you will know how poverty and underdevelopment has eaten deep in the East. The media hardly report most things that happen in the East, cause other Nigerian don't come here for work. And Igbo journalist will never write about the negative part of the East. You know how proud Igbo People are.

I live in Owerri and I tell you this. It's worst here.

6 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 02, 2022
Angelfrost:

I am deeply shocked by such a reply honestly. What is even wrong with the guy?!! Na wa o!

Some people don't want to ever move forward in life... Such a shame this nation is filled with them. Imagine him comparing me to touts. Like seriously! undecided

You are a dense fool for thinking that we don't want to move forward. A state that doesn't want to move forward in the south east just commisioned an airport with a runway larger that Abuja airport and second to MMA. You idiots just come online and play cheap politics with data all because of politics and elections to justify your paymasters
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Caseywilliams(m): 3:30pm On Mar 02, 2022
afroniger:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/internet-penetration-why-south-east-remains-lowest-at-13-7-million-users/
and i was thinking owerri was the headquarters of bombing nation keyboard FC.
it's well.
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Nobody: 3:36pm On Mar 02, 2022
Aidejay:
@afroniger what did I tell you.
It's like you wrote all that only for the imp to strengthen his resolve in ignorance and as usual paint everyone against his ideas a paid agent manufacturing false info. What a schmuck.

Your parents really made a poor error giving birth to a simpleton like you. I know what i am saying i will not allow idiots like you denigrate us. We have our challenges, but all this denigration is uncalled for. why this hatred and it is from Kids like you that have not seen anything in life.
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 02, 2022
georgeakins:

Only Ibos live in Iboland. That is the only region in Nigeria that you won't non indigenes residing. It says a lot about them.

You see how much of a liar you are. Go to the south east and see your people working and earning a living there. Stop hiding behind a keyboard in your one room in Ijegun to type nonsense.
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 02, 2022
afroniger:

Stop allowing your ego to get the best of you. The stats for the report were gotten directly from the Telecom companies themselves. You can't know better than the Telcos in this regard. But if you claim to, then you have to show us superior data to counter theirs. No need calling Seun. You can view a more exhaustive/comprehensive report of the data/stats here (I hope you have data because the following link contains an 18mb PDF file that breaks down the data):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://nigerianstat.gov.ng/download/1241133&ved=2ahUKEwi-reDOlaf2AhUH14UKHci1Ah8QFnoECCMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3wIJELSGkXBnW0wHZWKSBI

Some of you just find it difficult accepting facts that disagree with you assumptions.

You said it was gotten from telecom companies. That data is from NBS you see where you lied big time. Everyone knows how flawed NBS stats are in this country, even serious minded businesses do not take their data seriously even government agencies dispute their figures. How can an insurgency ravaged north east have more subscribers where as Borno does not have subscribers than Anambra
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 02, 2022
goody2019:
The reason is this: only indigenes live there. There are very, very few strangers. Only natives with little need for internet. Few business ventures. The business-minded indigenes are all over the country/world making their living.
Ain't there no living to make there?

You people don't like to be with people, yet travel everywhere disturbing others. Twisted bunch grin

This means you need others, they don't need you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Mrdigitech(m): 3:44pm On Mar 02, 2022
When they say our institutions of higher learning in Nigeria are nothing to write home about we start complaining and bickering. Look at the poor statistical report produced by half-baked statisticians in Nigeria. I'm so ashamed.

Let me educate them a bit. First and foremost, I'm no statistician. I studied accountancy in a one of the universities in Lagos. However, I offered statistics as a course in my freshman year.

When you talk about internet penetration, you are simply talking about a percentage of a given populace that have access to the internet. It isn't based on the total number of internet users in a given region, state and country.

For Example, Let's say Nigeria, with a total population of 200milliion, has about 50million users with access to the internet. The percentage internet internet penetration is 25%. Denmark and UAE, two countries which the total Nigerian internet users exceed their total population, have an internet penetration of 99%, aren't you surprised? Same principle should be applied to the respective States in Nigeria. The total number of internet users in a given region has nothing to do with internet penetration.

A state may consist of 100,000 people, and 80,000 of the inhabitants may have access to the internet, that will give you a better internet penetration stats than a state with 200 million people with only 80 million inhabitants having access to the internet. Our educational system needs to be overhauled. All the people who use this stats to mock and cast aspersions irrespective of tribe are half baked as well, if at all they attended any of the so-called institutions of higher learning in Nigeria.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/227082/countries-with-the-highest-internet-penetration-rate/

2 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Orch1981: 3:50pm On Mar 02, 2022
splashbaby:
Very true..,nothing dey for the Easter parts of Nigeria especially those Igbo hinterland states. Economic opportunities is near zero. Just wake up and tell someone you are going to Anambra to seek for opportunities...your people wont be pleased with you.
Guy come my area make you see how your Yoruba brother dey carry bread for head Waka all place I dey sorry for them honestly [color=#770077][/color]

1 Like

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Karemarealty288(m): 3:50pm On Mar 02, 2022
Cryofigbos:

Hw many estate do u own nw or any of ur family?

U igbo like making plenty noise when u have small money but u personal do u?....u r being deceived

Go buy moimoi eat..

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by doggedfighter(f): 3:51pm On Mar 02, 2022
pocohantas:

Painfully many of them do not know. The things Lagos online sellers use to do shakara are scattered all over the streets of Aba and Onitsha. If I were residing in those places, PH and Uyo people for done hear am. I go buy Benz before Christmas. grin

I reside there. Teach me how to do it cry

When I say this, it looks like I am not Igbo enough. We have so much business acumen, but we are plagued with the worst leaders in the SE. I would never understand why my people are more obsessed with Tinubu and Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by doggedfighter(f): 3:52pm On Mar 02, 2022
pocohantas:

Painfully many of them do not know. The things Lagos online sellers use to do shakara are scattered all over the streets of Aba and Onitsha. If I were residing in those places, PH and Uyo people for done hear am. I go buy Benz before Christmas. grin

I reside there. Teach me how to do it cry

When I say this, it looks like I am not Igbo enough. We have so much business acumen, but we are plagued with the worst leaders in the SE. I would never understand why my people are more obsessed with Tinubu and Biafra.

I reside there, teach me how to do it cry
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by emmykk(m): 3:53pm On Mar 02, 2022
georgeakins:

Only Ibos live in Iboland. That is the only region in Nigeria that you won't non indigenes residing. It says a lot about them.

You are so pain.i am an isoko both know the Nigerian tribe that travel far and wide in Nigeria for business.
After the igbo it is the Hausa.
The yoruba hardly leave their enclave.

So when internet user statistics is out and the south east figure is low ,that shows their usage contribute to those of other region.

Go to Lagos,Abuja,pH and even interior villages of any part of these country they are there.

Some comedian have even said if you visit any Nigeria city and you don't find igbo man you should run.

It doesn't tell much about them that they don't accomodate but that they travel alot.

So if you are so pain over obvious truth you better go and check yourself.

1 Like

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Angelfrost(m): 3:53pm On Mar 02, 2022
obynzo:

You are a dense fool for thinking that we don't want to move forward. A state that doesn't want to move forward in the south east just commisioned an airport with a runway larger that Abuja airport and second to MMA. You idiots just come online and play cheap politics with data all because of politics and elections to justify your paymasters

This will be my last response to you sir.

I wasn't referring to the entire SouthEast above, just as you couldn't have been speaking for every person from there. You and I are in no position to speak for everyone, and I don't make silly generalizations. I simply addressed backward individuals who happen to know themselves; if you are one of them, shame on you!

I have lived and worked everywhere in Nigeria, and will not insult an entire region! People who looked down on something as futuristic and relevant as online work or engagements are the ones I am specifically addressing sir, not the entire SouthEast.

When a problem is pointed out, any sensible person would be more concerned about getting to the solution instead of getting unnecessarily defensive, engaging in insults, or shifting blames... The earlier you grow mentally, the better!!! Bye!!!

2 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by pocohantas(f): 3:53pm On Mar 02, 2022
doggedfighter:

Let me send you a PM. If that works.
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by afroniger: 3:53pm On Mar 02, 2022
obynzo:

You said it was gotten from telecom companies. That data is from NBS you see where you lied big time. Everyone knows how flawed NBS stats are in this country, even serious minded businesses do not take their data seriously even government agencies dispute their figures. How can an insurgency ravaged north east have more subscribers where as Borno does not have subscribers than Anambra

Guy, you know quite well that NBS aggregated the data in the report from data received from the Telcos. If you are so sure that they didn't get it from the Telcos, I dare you to prove that the data is fake/cooked-up since that's what you're implying -- the onus is on you to prove your allegation. Or better still, I dare you to refute and counter NBS with the research data you claim to have in your possession.

You have every right to reject the report since it doesn't sit well with your ego-driven assumptions. But what you can't do is to impose your weak attempt to discredit the NBS data with your unverified claims, on others. You aren't dealing with kids here, so your antics won't fly.

4 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by emmykk(m): 3:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
adefitim:

So what’s your point?

You are so pain.i am an isoko both know the Nigerian tribe that travel far and wide in Nigeria for business.

So when internet user statistics is out and the south east figure is low ,that shows their usage contribute to those of other region.

Go to Lagos,Abuja,pH and even interior villages of any part of these country they are there.

Some comedian have even said if you visit any Nigeria city and you don't find igbo man you should run.

It doesn't tell much about them that they don't accomodate but that they travel alot.

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by drlateef: 3:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
SmartPolician:
IMO, internet penetration is low in the east because most young people from the east don't reside in the region.The SE leaders haven't made effort to create opportunities for our people in order to keep them there. The implication is that every young Igbo wants to migrate to Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt or elsewhere in the world in search of greener pastures.

People often say that anywhere you go and you don't see an Igbo man, you know that nothing is happening there. Funnily enough, our people see that as a good thing. The truth is, there's nothing good about a region's most brilliant minds leaving in droves.

And I wonder how Biafra will be actualised. A lot stacking against the success of such sessionist move. But Kano is a fraud, and others can’t see that now.

1 Like

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Judgesledge(m): 3:58pm On Mar 02, 2022
Jacobx007:

Is Nairaland the source of the data? Those are figures from an official establishment, deal with it.
warped interpretation of data, would rather have used proportion of internet users against total population of each region in assessing penetration
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by georgeakins: 3:58pm On Mar 02, 2022
emmykk:

Only Ibos live in Iboland, period.

I don't care where you come from, I have expressed my mind.

4 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Basheer22: 4:01pm On Mar 02, 2022
oilykid:

The biggest startup by an African ever acquired by apple was founded by an igbo man and sold by $1billion dollars then..

Flutterwave is worth more than 3 Billion Dollars. It was founded by Yoruba guys.
Most Unicorns founded by Nigerians are owned by Yorubas.
Trading? Yes. Tech? No.

6 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Nobody: 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
Angelfrost:

This will be my last response to you sir.

I wasn't referring to the entire SouthEast above, just as you couldn't have been speaking for every person from there. You and I are in no position to speak for everyone, and I don't make silly generalizations. I simply addressed backward individuals who happen to know themselves; if you are one of them, shame on you!

I have lived and worked everywhere in Nigeria, and will not insult an entire region! People who looked down on something as futuristic and relevant as online work or engagements are the ones I am specifically addressing sir, not the entire SouthEast.

When a problem is pointed out, any sensible person would be more concerned about getting to the solution instead of getting unnecessarily defensive, engaging in insults, or shifting blames... The earlier you grow mentally, the better!!! Bye!!!

I didn't go defensive here there is a mischievous intention behind this post that is my annoyance and again we know there is an infrastructural deficit in the south east partly due to deliberate marginalization after the war and the stupid governors that we have, but some states are beginning to get it right. Anambra from Ngige and now to Soludo has been excelling, and we have Ebonyi, but you know this forum so many paid e-rats will use this to denigrate a region. My apologies for insulting you i was so angry at the comments made here
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Nyanmiridunce: 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
oilykid:

Haaaaaaaaa, na lie go kill you. This guy said most tech startups are owned by ibos. Are you even serious right now?

Flutterwave recently became the most valuable African tech company. Both flutterwave and paystack are owned by yorubas. Kuda nko? Calendly nko? Should I go on? You people derive joy in ego-massaging, I swear. You will lie and still find happiness in such lie. What manner of tribe are you people?

Can you then list your 'most' tech startups by ibos.

6 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Aidejay(m): 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
oilykid:

You're talking about Chinedu Echeruo, and the company he sold is hopstop.

do your research do your research... but you didn't do any research before typing that thing up there.

btw! Africa's biggest startup is flutterwave and it's owned by (go and do your research) it's valued at 3billion dollars.

7 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Aidejay(m): 4:04pm On Mar 02, 2022
Nyanmiridunce:
Haaaaaaaaa, na lie go kill you. This guy said most tech startups are owned by ibos. Are you even serious right now?

Flutterwave recently became the most valuable African tech company. Both flutterwave and paystack are owned by yorubas. Kuda nko? Calendly nko? Should I go on? You people derive joy in ego-massaging, I swear. You will lie and still find happiness in such lie. What manner of tribe are you people?

Can you then list your 'most' tech startups by ibos.
grin guy!!! the lie fall me. And the wet floor of an idiot was typing do your research.

would anyone who has ever done any form of research come up with something like that.

3 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Basheer22: 4:07pm On Mar 02, 2022
Ecos:
mumu criminal. U are doing yahoo . Wasting ur life away thinking ur busy but na thunder go fire u. Crook.

Guy, I don't like paupers quoting me.
Look at your father, compare him with his mates. Look at yourself, compared to your mates. You're following the same trajectory of failure
If you continue like this, you will serve those junior to you.

2 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by oilykid(m): 4:07pm On Mar 02, 2022
Aidejay:
[s]You're talking about Chinedu Echeruo, and the company he sold is hopstop.

do your research do your research... but you didn't do any research before typing that thing up there.

btw! Africa's biggest startup is flutterwave and it's owned by (go and do your research) it's valued at 3billion dollars. [/s]

Was not the biggest startup then before apple bought it or not.. I was just trying to keep your fellow afonja informed.. they are many startups owned by igbos as well as other tribes in Nigeria..
Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by VEHINTOLAR: 4:09pm On Mar 02, 2022
obynzo:

Oga i knew the aim of this report is to spread hatred and nothing else. This is not from any telco it is from NCC and this report even in the industry is faulted. Anambra has more internet users than Yobe and Borno according to international data from consultancy firms and i didn't even mention Imo that is more of a school area that utilizes more data. You say south east has negative indices but ironically it has the best in unemployment indices. Let us stop deceiving ourselves with all this stats that are cooked. How has it impacted the common man? even you that is talking how has it impacted you. because it is 2023 you guys are justifying your paymasters by concocting data to put the south east as a useless region whereas none of you have even visited the south east in the first place.

This is laughable,you know ? It is only the NCC that's in a position to render a report like this one but not any telco as you erroneously assumed ! Isn't it the NCC that regulates the activities of all telecommunication companies in Nigeria and in possession of all users data base ? So,what are you talking about man ? That report,just like others before it,is accurate and can't be faulted by any telco.

Please,show it here that report that says south east "has the best in unemployment indices" ! I'll like to read it. It will be nice as well to read here,the reports of those "consultancy firms" with their "international data" that claims that Anambra has more internet users than Borno and Yobe. As for your claims about Imo,don't you know that there are schools in Borno and Yobe too ? You think the people over there are monkeys ? They are not;they attend schools too just like other Nigerians.

Nobody hates Igbo people and there is nobody paying anyone to write shit about you guys. Fact,no matter what remains what it is and it is a fact ! Igbo people always like to exaggerate their actual capacity and that's what makes it looks like the whole world hates you guys when a verifiable,lie bursting fact like this one comes to the fore !

......waiting for those reports I requested.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Nisiw365: 4:09pm On Mar 02, 2022
oilykid:

Flutterwave, abeg, paystack, calendy, etc are owned by yorubas. Tech and igbos shouldn't be in the same sentence

7 Likes

Re: Internet Penetration: Why South East Remains Lowest At 13.7 Million Users by Angelfrost(m): 4:13pm On Mar 02, 2022
obynzo:

I didn't go defensive here there is a mischievous intention behind this post that is my annoyance and again we know there is an infrastructural deficit in the south east partly due to deliberate marginalization after the war and the stupid governors that we have, but some states are beginning to get it right. Anambra from Ngige and now to Soludo has been excelling, and we have Ebonyi, but you know this forum so many paid e-rats will use this to denigrate a region. My apologies for insulting you i was so angry at the comments made here

I am not offended sir... I clearly could tell that we misunderstood each other.

Why would anyone even insult an entire region of progressive individuals... That person has mental issues.

If there is an error in this report, then a proper report needs to be put forward to counter this. In any case, we all must continue to drive technology in our communities, states and regions even if our leaders choose to remain daft.

God bless you for the passion you have for the good of your people! Peace!!!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Price, Specs Of Infinix Note 6 In Nigeria / To Check Airtime Balance and Access Expiry Date on MTN via SMS / Tecno Camon C10 Specs And Price: What You Should Expect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.