Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change (50303 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant / Do Not Accept A Banking Job - I Refused To Listen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Fortune118005(m): 2:38pm On Mar 14, 2022
BusinessDream:

Most Telecom orgs now offer FREE youtube data. MTN starts at 11pm to 5am. Just dedicate 1 hour every night to practice while learning.
I'm using MTN, please how can I subscribe to this free YouTube data?
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by bikefab(m): 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2022
Don't waste your time always trying to be happy. Take the good with the bad and learn from it. You can't always be happy but you can always be growing. All you need is a change of perspectives and a strong will.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by bluefilm: 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2022
Kajaard:

Lol cheesy grin cheesy

I taya for that guy, aswear
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Connected1: 2:40pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

P,S. I worked 12 hours a day and its impossible I merge the two together.

In whatever you are trying to do, don't leave your job until you are have gotten a string foundation in your new found career.

Bad/Wicked Bosses are everywhere, only the lucky ones get good bosses.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Iamfrank(m): 2:40pm On Mar 14, 2022
Sometimes I wonder how some nairalanders think. Someone has a problem with his job n career change and asked for an advice towards it, some person's began to insult him saying he is ungrateful and doesn't value what he has. The truth is that, there is a point in life, a person's deserves more on what he or she is getting. That is while we see footballers signing a new contract with higher pay or musicians leaving their record labels to start theirs. I believe the OP is at that stage of life because of his experience n his level of information has really expanded. I wanted opening d same topic coz am passing through exactly d same tin, but I have only saved 1.1m.

2 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by bepositive11: 2:42pm On Mar 14, 2022
Lots of great comments already. Just want to say make sure that you believe in yourself first

In fact, first of all, what are your strengths and weaknesses? To thrive in tech, you need to be a very good problem solver and creative thinker

You can start at any age, as long as you are a fast learner and dedicated, and your strengths align with tech

You can also test some programming tutorials to see if you like it

As for your current situation, you have no one to blame but yourself. Take responsibility and work towards improving your situation. Whether that means getting a new job or starting a new career or business

Don't forget to think about your future plans. If you want to start a family soon, you'll be at a great disadvantage by starting from scratch it tech. It will take time for you to establish yourself and you may face some discrimination based on your older age. Your age mates would be far ahead than you in the tech industry and your tech boss may end up being someone younger than you. Just some other things to keep in mind

Betterprospect:
Good day Nairalander. I'm single, 30 years old. I studied agriculture related course at University level, and I presently worked in that field and I earned about 120k monthly.

I feel unfulfilled and I'm lacking interest day after day. The unfulfillment brewed mostly from my bosses egoistic and narcissistic approach to his employee, the insane working hours, and the lack of liberty, and most importantly, I feel I could do better. Now I have a meagre 2 million naira saved up, small? I know. Buy I'd like to pursue my passion in tech albeit from ground zero.

Now my dilemma is:

1. Seeing that I'm old and already past my prime for a career change at 30 yrs old, does a pursue of another career make sense?

2. Knowing that 2 million is small and would not last long. Does is it make sense to just up and leave?

3. I have a small biz I ideal which I feel could give me close to 50k monthly, but thing is, this is Nigeria and I might be wrong.

4. Should I just suck it up and continue for another year or two? Everyone I asked seems to think I should.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by kay29000(m): 2:42pm On Mar 14, 2022
Exkandayee:
Bro you senior me with 2 years and I worth close to 500k dolls,,,I dropped out of school at 23, through wuru wuru I found myself hereinAmericase,but life is not easyoooh,see ehh bro, lemme tell you something,use that your 2 mili,[b]300k go get you sk Visa, [/b]just japa,,and hustle hard,I bet it before you clock 35 you go deh alright, find one mixed race marry or kpatakpata marry Asian you go see how happy you go be,no marry naija girl or you go be unhappy

Please what is "sk visa?" Thanks in advance.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by LyfeJennings(m): 2:43pm On Mar 14, 2022
Loewe:

Just to correct the above- there are people in their 40s who changed careers successfully. You haven't passed your career prime, don't be fooled. 30 is still very much young.

Don't mind the boy
Life didn't start for me till 30
I am 37 now
I'm still trying to figure it out

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by princeemmma(m): 2:43pm On Mar 14, 2022
Rubbiish:

Menhh u are really trying @bold
the op think he is facing hardship.................... some people are facing terrorship, and they still keep there head up
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by princeemmma(m): 2:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
Munzy14:

Mehnnnnn!!! This life sef...
abi wetin person go do, life no balance, op they complain, but some people no even get that kind of savings
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 2:45pm On Mar 14, 2022
Michealupdate43:
Those that have cap do not have heads, those that have heads do not have caps( irony of life,).

How can you can 2milion in this economy small.
You say you work 12 hours a day, meaning you still have a few hours in the day to work on starting up something for yourself.

Stop feeling sorry and get started with something already, 30 years is not the end of life.

Be greateful my friend, it all starts from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtL78qBaiFI

Thanks. I will try this, but I just think going all in, and giving it my all will be better. Why give 2 hrs when you can actually give it 12 hrs .??
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Kajaard: 2:47pm On Mar 14, 2022
princeemmma:
My man you are you own problem, no matter how much you save, its still won't be enough for your life and future, sometimes life is not really about how much you save, its about how much you are ready to face life....... i was once a business owner, i thought my business could sustain me to any length, because my income at the end of the month sometimes is more 50k....... but during the covid19 pandemic, everything crash up,............... i picked up myself, and applied for a job where i am currently earning less than 50k monthly and am married with a kid................. I pay house rent and feed my family with this few money....

How am i surviving? i don't f$cking know.....

Happy birthday bro (I see today is your birthday)

But how do you survive on less than 50k monthly as a married man? Just keep pushing bro, something good will come out soon. Cheers cool

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Exkandayee(m): 2:47pm On Mar 14, 2022
seanwilliam:
how come you worth 500k$ when you had just 2m last year nov and you even got deported.. ? Pls interested
I've sorted myself out bro,,, you can dig for Africa just to burst me,,,but I'm cool, that 2 milli is only cash with me then, later God is really a miracle working God, I don japa again and everything recoverd
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by princeemmma(m): 2:47pm On Mar 14, 2022
sammirano:

Na una dey live life like gamble. Its too risky. You need a financial planner
we have to gamble, we don't know how much we have to live........... beside man are all born to work (feed them, care for them nurture them) for woman weather we like it or not, i got married to a woman and my first kid is a (girl) woman too, so i have to feed them and carter for them either i like it or not................ nothing concern them, especially that my daughter, she fit chop like

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 2:48pm On Mar 14, 2022
christejames:
Bro, don't get yourself overly worked up because of some societal pressure...

Of all the problems you listed, let marriage be the last one on your mind. If the environment you are working has become too toxic for you and you had been rendering your services efficiently to the growth of the company, don't you think if you transfer that energy into your own private business that is generating about 50k monthly will make you an employer that would even pay his workers about the same amount as salary in the future?

Well, if it's me, knowing that where I work is no longer comfortable and I already have side hussle, I will just be working with the mindset to take the company by surprise when I will finally leave them, because I won't stay with them forever.

My thoughts exactly. I dont see marriage as a problem for now, I stated it here as a criteria to consider while making my decision of quitting and starting from ground zero up.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by vikkogg: 2:49pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Boss, give thanks to God for yours is still better. I'll be 33 years by June, I'm single and unemployed. I am a graduate of Statistics from U.I. I have no source of income whatsoever. No money to startup any business and I'm yet to get a job. But...I won't give up because I know God will remember me one day. Bro, just keep managing that your job till you get a better one. Stay blessed.

3 Likes

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by dannex4adx(m): 2:49pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Pray about it.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by LashellBeazley: 2:50pm On Mar 14, 2022
If you are male and single in your 30s then it is not a big deal. Even it is not a problem to not marry at the age of 30s. The world has changed. Try to live with it.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 2:51pm On Mar 14, 2022
Kobicove:
I have 2 comments:

Why is it that a thread that was opened by an account that was created today made it to front page

This story sounds more to me like this person is trying to use reverse psychology so that gullible people will start contacting him to do business with him which would provide an opportunity for him to make some gains (I don't want to use the word "scam" at this stage) undecided

Lols, how people reason this way eludes me. TRY TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND. the whole world is not out to get you. I'm trying to make a career change and somehow you think someone will invest in my career change, or in a business I said I don't like?
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by princeemmma(m): 2:52pm On Mar 14, 2022
Kajaard:

Happy birthday bro (I see today is your birthday)

But how do you survive on less than 50k monthly as a married man? Just keep pushing bro, something good will come out soon. Cheers cool
thank you my bro.............. i really appreciate your concern...... but what do i do, everything was going well when i got married...... so do i run out of the marriage? Nil............. i have to continue being like that
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Michealupdate43: 2:53pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Thanks. I will try this, but I just think going all in, and giving it my all will be better. Why give 2 hrs when you can actually give it 12 hrs .??

That's the spirit my friend
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 2:55pm On Mar 14, 2022
IamDavid:
Convert your 2M to dolls first. I don't have any serious advice like dat but just know that tech is getting saturated already. You have to be really skilled to edge others now. No matter what you think, you're actually doing better than some others

Thanks. That's something worth thinking about. I know I am doing better than some. But the thought of regrets or miserable later on if I dont do this is getting in my head.

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by BusinessDream: 2:55pm On Mar 14, 2022
Fortune118005:

I'm using MTN, please how can I subscribe to this free YouTube data?
You should see it bro. I think it is all tariff that gets it. A lot of people have it but they are not using it and it is just wasting away. Check your phone when u sub data... if you don't see it, let me know.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 2:56pm On Mar 14, 2022
ACRI:
If possible work with the company for a little while and keep expanding the side business and also increase your savings

You are not doing badly with the 2M you tired.
When you have saved some little more , move on with your life. You deserve to be happy. And its still good you re still single....less responsibilities.

Trust me you ll be fine when you leave, I have done so before though it was hard at first but don't let that place toy with your mental health.

Thank you. I appreciate this
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by seanwilliam(m): 2:56pm On Mar 14, 2022
Exkandayee:

I've sorted myself out bro,,, you can dig for Africa just to burst me,,,but I'm cool, that 2 milli is only cash with me then, later God is really a miracle working God, I don japa again and everything recoverd
good on how you jumped from 2m to over 250m and back to the base you were deported in 3month .

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Truvelisback(m): 2:56pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

Bro, every big Breast u see today was once a Nipple, so don't give up in Life. grin

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Rubbiish(m): 2:56pm On Mar 14, 2022
anewchapter:
When you get married you will yearn for when you were single...who no go no know
Why do a lot of people always say the bold
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Munzy14(m): 2:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
Betterprospect:

Now my dilemma is:

First, I see a low self esteem case in you..

Many people, even married people are in your condition...Doing the job for the bills...Nothing else..
Whoever employed and pay you, is like a god you have here....With the talk down on boss mentality, are you sure you can be a boss? I doubt.

2Million is meagre to you? Another case of lack of confidence in yourself..Some people who live in flats with a car, may not even have upto 100k in account...Just one shady deals to another but using packaging to mess your ego.

You work 12hours, you still have time to engage in side hustles...Use it to test how hard it is to start and grow a business in out volatile Economy, then you will learn to appreciate your boss...You think it is easy sad employ just one person and you will know humans are the worst animal to control on earth. We are too stubborn.

Lastly, the marriage talk @30 you are putting yourself under unnecessary pressure, mind you, depression is real..
Guys wise up, you must have that mental, psychological and a bit financial security before you will go and frustrate somebody's daughter.

You might be a bit financial secured, but from your write up, you seem indicisive undecided such men don't make good husband...I mean how you be soo scared of your little achievements and so unsure of yourself @30.

As a man, life starts @30...Your life just started..Go and conquer your world...You started well and on a fair table.
Your 2million should be saved in dollars If you are not using it in the next 5months...Or you go for a genuim landed property if you are not going to use the 2million in the next 2-3years..When the land appreciates you resell and take your capital and profit.

At this stage, you must learn to move at your pace..the only competition you need is you, and yourself...Working smart to double whatever you have...And strive to marry at 35.....

Remove yourself from peer pressure...you are now a man...How confident you are is a what makes you super attractive for the woman you are going to settle down with...

No age is small to change career in tech world if it is your passion.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by qtguru(m): 2:59pm On Mar 14, 2022
Rubbiish:

Why do a lot of people always say the bold

We are in Nigeria, traditionally it's the man that provides for most, the financial burden is mostly on us, unless you are fortunate to meet a "help-mate" which is not rare, but the sentiments even on NL is that the man is the main provider.
Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by lilvicky68(m): 3:00pm On Mar 14, 2022
From the look of things even if you have money you won't still be happy..

You just have to create your own happiness whether single or married, jobless or jobful

1 Like

Re: I Am 30, Unmarried And Unhappy At My Job. I Want To have a career change by Betterprospect: 3:01pm On Mar 14, 2022
prophetic69:
At least your own better you get job...most graduate dey over 30yrs no job talk more of savings and settling down....baba get your priorities right joe.

Baba I no dey ungrateful bro.. Na everybody get where the shoe dey pain am. Even billionaires

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Groundnut Hawker Wearing Suit And Tie (Photos) / Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / Access Bank Green Internship (2021)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.