Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,540 members, 7,830,609 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

If A Man Has Two Wives..? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If A Man Has Two Wives..? (1284 Views)

Is It Sin For Man To Have Sex Together With His Two Wives?- Man Asks Daddyfreeze / Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives / Beautiful Wives Of Nigerian Pastors (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

If A Man Has Two Wives..? by AntiChristian: 11:24am On Mar 16, 2022
"If a man have two wives..." Deuteronomy 21:15a

The passage of Deuteronomy 21:15-17 is a specific instruction in the Law Itself to any man with "two wives". If polygamy was a sin, then it would not be possible for a "man to have two wives" in the Law.

"If a man has two wives, one beloved and the other unloved, and both bear him sons, but the unloved wife has the firstborn son, 16when that man assigns his inheritance to his sons he must not appoint the son of the beloved wife as the firstborn over the son of the unloved wife. Instead, he must acknowledge the firstborn, the son of his unloved wife, by giving him a double portion of all that he has. For that son is the firstfruits of his father’s strength; the right of the firstborn belongs to him" Deuteronomy 21:15-17.

Source-Biblical Polygamy
http://www.biblicalpolygamy.com/exegesis/if-a-man-have-two-wives/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:34am On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:

The passage of Deuteronomy 21:15-17 is a specific instruction in the Law Itself to any man with "two wives". If polygamy was a sin, then it would not be possible for a "man to have two wives" in the Law.

"If a man has two wives, one beloved and the other unloved, and both bear him sons, but the unloved wife has the firstborn son, 16when that man assigns his inheritance to his sons he must not appoint the son of the beloved wife as the firstborn over the son of the unloved wife. Instead, he must acknowledge the firstborn, the son of his unloved wife, by giving him a double portion of all that he has. For that son is the firstfruits of his father’s strength; the right of the firstborn belongs to him" Deuteronomy 21:15-17.

Source-Biblical Polygamy
If a woman has two husbands! undecided

https://www.britannica.com/topic/polyandry-marriage

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by advanceDNA: 11:46am On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:

Source-Biblical Polygamy

U are a Muslim yet you keep looking into Bible text you don’t understand it’s interpretation to justify things like polygamy....u don’t even understand what you are copying and pasting.

are u begging christain to become polygamous...
face your polygamous religion

One minute u Muslims will call the Bible adulterated... next minute u will be using the same bible to justify your religion, prophets and the rubbish you do

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by AntiChristian: 11:48am On Mar 16, 2022
advanceDNA:

U are a Muslim yet you keep looking into Bible text you don’t understand it’s interpretation to justify things like polygamy....u don’t even understand what you are copying and pasting.

One minute u Muslims will call the Bible adulterated... next minute u will be using the same bible to justify your religion, prophets and the rubbish you do

Off points! Face the post not the poster!

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by AntiChristian: 11:49am On Mar 16, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

If a woman has two husbands! undecided

https://www.britannica.com/topic/polyandry-marriage

Which Bible verse is that one sir?
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by advanceDNA: 11:55am On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:

Off points! Face the post not the poster!

If you ddnt post wrong I won’t address you.. your points are actually off...
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:57am On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:

Which Bible verse is that one sir?

God created one man for one woman.

That's what Jesus said about the beginning, it's due to mankind's fall that people began taking more than one husband or wife.

So God permitted his own people since the Messiah will come and tell them how to live in Paradise! smiley
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by AntiChristian: 11:59am On Mar 16, 2022
advanceDNA:

If you ddnt post wrong I won’t address you.. your points are actually off...

Sorry! Won't reply you anymore if you can't attack the message with Biblical proofs. I thought you are advanced Deoxyribonucleic acid. lol
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by thorpido(m): 12:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
...... in the Law.

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels,the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,1 Timothy 1:8-9

John 1:17 says,
For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Let the one that readeth get understanding.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by advanceDNA: 12:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:

Sorry! Won't reply you anymore if you can't attack the message with Biblical proofs. I thought you are advanced Deoxyribonucleic acid. lol

Enter a civil biblical conversation with you...?? You must be joking.....
You that can’t see the flaw in your own Quran to debate it with your Islamic leaders, now wants to talk bible with me...
you can’t see that you are a hypocrite, trying to justify your terrible Islamic doctrine with another religious text your call adulterated.

Man...no let me change am for you

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by AntiChristian: 12:07pm On Mar 16, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

God created one man for one woman.
Where in the Bible?

That's what Jesus said about the beginning, it's due to mankind's fall that people began taking more than one husband or wife.
Where?

So God permitted his own people since the Messiah will come and tell them how to live in Paradise! smiley

Quote verses please.
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by AntiChristian: 12:12pm On Mar 16, 2022
thorpido:
...... in the Law.

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels,the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,1 Timothy 1:8-9

Paul wrote these in his first letter to Timothy! How does this concern our polygamy talk?

Jesus said:
“Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. Mat 5:17

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by thorpido(m): 12:20pm On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:

Paul wrote these in his first letter to Timothy! How does this concern our polygamy talk?

Jesus said:
“Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. Mat 5:17

He said,I am the way,the truth and the life.John 14:6
Have you ever come across that scripture above?Do you know what it means?Do you believe it?
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:21pm On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:
Where in the Bible?
God created one man for one woman!
Genesis 2:22-25
AntiChristian:

Where?
Jesus referred to the beginning as the standard for marriage between a man and a woman!
Matthew 19:4-5
AntiChristian:

Quote verses please.
So the Israelites including all those who had more than one wife were in expectation of the Messiah that's coming to teach them how to live in Paradise {Deuteronomy 18:15-19} that's why David could refer to the coming Messiah as "Lord" who will sit by the right hand side of God {Psalms 110:1} this means whatever this person says about everlasting life in Paradise is final! Psalms 110:4-6
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by AntiChristian: 12:23pm On Mar 16, 2022
thorpido:
He said,I am the way,the truth and the life.John 14:6
Have you ever come across that scripture above?Do you know what it means?Do you believe it?

Yeah, i have. All prophets told their people the same. Without following them you can't get to the Lord that sent them.

But that verse is unrelated to the the original post below!

AntiChristian:

Source-Biblical Polygamy
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by RisenJoe(m): 12:25pm On Mar 16, 2022
It's a shame that most of those quoting the op didn't counter his fact backed argument with a superior fact but rather resort to insults and name calling.

In the Ten Commandments God didn't tell us the number of women to marry, so I don't know why someone will say that polygamy is a sin.

thorpido:
Please show me where any prophet called himself ...the way,the truth and the life.

@second bold..escapist as usual.

Sir, please don't derail or shift the goal post, face the issue at hand.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by thorpido(m): 12:29pm On Mar 16, 2022
AntiChristian:

Yeah, i have. All prophets told their people the same. Without following them you can't get to the Lord that sent them.

But that verse is unrelated the the original post!

Please show me where any prophet called himself ...the way,the truth and the life.

@second bold..escapist as usual.
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by thorpido(m): 12:34pm On Mar 16, 2022
RisenJoe:
It's a shame that most of those quoting the op didn't counter his fact backed argument with a superior fact but rather resort to insults and name calling.

In the Ten Commandments God didn't tell us the number of women to marry, so I don't know why someone will say that polygamy is a sin.
Did you read the thread and follow the scriptures before posting?

Get understanding!
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by RisenJoe(m): 12:53pm On Mar 16, 2022
thorpido:
Did you read the thread and follow the scriptures before posting?

Get understanding!

Yes I did, maybe you can correct me if am looking at it from the wrong perspective.
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:59pm On Mar 16, 2022
RisenJoe:

The mistake most Bible readers do make is thinking the Mosaic laws has anything to do with them.
Before God gave Moses those laws He (God) told the Israelites:

Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. Exodus 19:5-6

So the laws were given (not to any other people) but only the Israelites!

But afterwards God told Moses:

I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him. Deuteronomy 18:18-19

Here God is telling the same people that this laws will only guide them until the coming of another prophet who will teach them something of higher value than what Moses gave them. Apostle Peter confirmed that Jesus of Nazareth is the prophet God was talking about! Act 3:22
By the time Jesus arrived in Israel the Mosaic laws were about to be kept aside as the mirror through which they're able to see their sinful nature and an evidence that they need a healer. But the Israelites thought the law is everything they needed that's why Jesus told them:

"You will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I am the one (to come and teach you how to see everlasting life), you will die in your sins.” John 8:24

So Christians have nothing to do with the laws anymore because we have something greater than the law which is Jesus Christ of Nazareth {Romans 10:4} whoever wants to see eternal life only need to study Jesus' thoughts, words and actions. Once you're able to master this you will have everlasting life! John 3:16; 17:3

But all those keeping the laws yet failed to accept Jesus as their personal Lord and saviour will PERISH. Jesus told the man who kept all those laws right from his youth that he still needs to become one of Jesus' disciples {Luke 18:18-23} otherwise all his righteousness are filth before the true God! Isaiah 64:6

That's why Apostle John could say:

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. John 1:18

So let everyone know today that failure to accept Jesus as Lord and obey all what he commanded the true God has no business with you because the Mosaic laws has fulfilled it's purpose namely to lead the Israelites to the Christ and nothing more! Galatians 3:23-25

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by RisenJoe(m): 1:08pm On Mar 16, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

The mistake most Bible readers do make is thinking the Mosaic laws has anything to do with them.
Before God gave Moses those laws He (God) told the Israelites:

Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. Exodus 19:5-6

So the laws were given (not to any other people) but only the Israelites!

But afterwards God told Moses:

I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him. Deuteronomy 18:18-19

Here God is telling the same people that this laws will only guide them until the coming of another prophet who will teach them something of higher value than what Moses gave them. Apostle Peter confirmed that Jesus of Nazareth is the prophet God was talking about! Act 3:22
By the time Jesus arrived in Israel the Mosaic laws were about to be kept aside as the mirror through which they're able to see their sinful nature and an evidence that they need a healer. But the Israelites thought the law is everything they needed that's why Jesus told them:

[b]"You will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I am the one, you will die in your sins.” 25 So

So? I don't understand why you had to quote me to write all these.

Are you saying that the mosaic law which supports polygamy is for the Israelites alone so we shouldn't marry more than one wife because we are not Israelites?

If that is so, what about our forefathers that married as many wives as they wanted as long as they were able to cater for them all, does the coming of Christianity makes that part of our tradition a sin as well?
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:14pm On Mar 16, 2022
RisenJoe:

So? I don't understand why you had to quote me to write all these.

Are you saying that the mosaic law which supports polygamy is for the Israelites alone so we shouldn't marry more than one wife because we are not Israelites?

If that is so, what about our forefathers that married as many wives as they wanted as long as they were able to cater for them all, does the coming of Christianity makes that part of our tradition a sin as well?

Polygamy before Christ is not a sin because the Son of God has not come to declare God's judgment regarding everlasting life.
But after Jesus' mission anyone who stubbornly turn against Jesus' order is on his/her own! John 3:16-18 smiley
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by Broveens42(m): 1:21pm On Mar 16, 2022
advanceDNA:

I'm highly disappointed at your response. I was expecting a strong response to op's post about the Bible supporting polygamy

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by RisenJoe(m): 1:22pm On Mar 16, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Polygamy before Christ is not a sin because the Son of God has not come to declare God's judgment regarding everlasting life.
But after Jesus' mission anyone who stubbornly turn against Jesus' order is on his/her own! John 3:16-18 smiley

Sir, pls give me a passage in the new testament that explicitly prohibits polygamy?

I know you will quote the book of Timothy or Matthew but let's wait and see.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by RisenJoe(m): 1:24pm On Mar 16, 2022
Broveens42:

I'm highly disappointed at your response. I was expecting a strong response to op's post about the Bible supporting polygamy

Honestly, that's what got me engaged in this thread, I don't like people blabbing their mouth when they have absolutely nothing to say.

They leave the message and face the messenger

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by advanceDNA: 1:26pm On Mar 16, 2022
Broveens42:

It is my opinion not to place a gold ring in the nose of a pig.....there’s no point....
it’s not my first time of encountering the guy.
His aim is to ridicule Christians and the Bible
When it's convenient, he uses the same bible to justify the Quran and his prophet...

I’m not about to make such person see reason it’s a waste of time.... u don’t have to see it my way
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by Broveens42(m): 1:33pm On Mar 16, 2022
thorpido:
...... in the Law.

Lol. So grace and truth did not come through other biblical characters?
Religion is really funny with a lot of hallucinations.
Where was grace and truth when biblical ananias and Sapphira were murdered in cold blood ?
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by Broveens42(m): 1:33pm On Mar 16, 2022
thorpido:
...... in the Law.

grin
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by Broveens42(m): 1:38pm On Mar 16, 2022
advanceDNA:

It is my opinion not to place a gold ring in the nose of a pig.....there’s no point....
it’s not my first time of encountering the guy.
His aim is to ridicule Christians and the Bible
When it's convenient, he uses the same bible to justify the Quran and his prophet...

I’m not about to make such person see reason it’s a waste of time.... u don’t have to see it my way

No
Your response is an Express way for practicing christians doubt their beliefs.
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:40pm On Mar 16, 2022
RisenJoe:

Sir, pls give me a passage in the new testament that explicitly prohibits polygamy?
I know you will quote the book of Timothy or Matthew but let's wait and see.

I am not your Master, Lord and King but Jesus of Nazareth should be!

When talking about marriage he referred to the standard God set in the garden of Eden as the perfect setting for marriage:

“Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? Matthew 19:4-5

It is the TWO that can become one flesh as they both agree on terms and conditions of staying together. Whatever makes any of the party think of bringing another person into the marriage is what Jesus called EVIL:

“All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them. This, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean" Matthew 7:12

According to Jesus Christ of Nazareth if you will not tolerate rivalry then don't get a rival for the woman you married and promised to stay with her till death do the parting!

“‘You must not take a woman in addition to her sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while her sister is alive" Leviticus 18:18

Your wife is your Christian sister so marrying another Christian sister while she's still alive is what Sir? Matthew 7:12

Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by RisenJoe(m): 1:52pm On Mar 16, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

I never called you master or anything.

When talking about marriage he referred to the standard God set in the garden of Eden as the perfect setting for marriage:

“Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? Matthew 19:4-5

Ok, so does it now mean that he outrightly condemned polygamy? Of course we all know that God created male and female in the garden of Eden because that was his grand plan, not necessarily meaning the polygamy is sin and the reason the question was asked was because the Jews were trying to trap Jesus with the question of resurrection

It is the TWO that can become one flesh as they both agree on terms and conditions of staying together. Whatever makes any of the party think of bringing another person into the marriage is what Jesus called EVIL:

So if those two later agree to add one more person to their midst, does it make them sinner.

“All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them. This, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean" Matthew 7:12

According to Jesus Christ of Nazareth if you will not tolerate rivalry then don't get a rival for the woman you married and promised to stay with her till death do the parting!

Ok,what if she asked you to marry another woman?

“‘You must not take a woman in addition to her sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while her sister is alive" Leviticus 18:18

Your wife is your Christian sister so marrying another Christian sister while she's still alive is what Sir? Matthew 7:12

If my wife is my christian sister,then have I no committed incest by marrying my sister, and where in the bible did you get that statement from

Sir, your argument is full of loophole here and there, have a nice day
Re: If A Man Has Two Wives..? by Broveens42(m): 1:57pm On Mar 16, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Question: is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife ON ANY GROUND?
Answer:
A.Have you not heard the one who created them made them male and female
( the biblical concept of female made from man)

B.For that reason of creation ( since female wasn't created independently) ; a man will leave... and stick to his wife and they shall be one.(back to creation)
The writer used B to validate A and A to discourage divorce. And has nothing to do with monogamy and polygamy
#English language

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet And Ask An Atheist Questions / The City That God Has Prepared / Angdatingdaan.org What Do You Think About This Site?let Have A Real Debate!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.