Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,556 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? (31002 Views)

Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? / Driving Interstate With A Car That Is Not Yours. What Are The Cons? / 10 Things To Know Before Moving Abroad For Study - Nairalander Reveals. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by jesmond3945: 7:23am On Mar 19, 2022
Originalsly:
Loneliness. How bad depends on your age of migrating ... the older the worse. The younger one is the larger his friend base ... friends he will make at school. School mates will be from his neighbourhood or one nearby. After school they hangout and will build an even wider base and circle of friends. One arriving and attending university will not make a large base.... one will barely know his class mates and they are from far and wide. The elderly suffer the most from loneliness since they do not have a base. A sign of lonely people are those who are always in contact with 'back home' as if they never left.
Rat Race..... every man for himself period. Emeka is now abroad doing well..... but before he left and was jobless he spent six months at me .... didn't have to pay a kobo for food nor drinks nor shelter ... plus I would give him pocket change. When I get abroad I'll
stay at him ... just for two months while I settle and find a job
. Really?
Have a support system..... but be prepared to fend for yourself.
No Papers.... you are finished.
friendship in abroad is fickle and fake. When chips fall down you are on your own.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by jesmond3945: 7:26am On Mar 19, 2022
BigDawsNet:

Bad weather

I don't believe in Racisms..it depends how you manage yourself... 97% of my friends are whites

You will pay taxes for the rest of your life

Loneliness may set in at some point

No paperwork? you will suffer small

As man.. That African man of the house mentalitydoesn't exist here

You will not really become a millionaire..but you will leave comfortably

You will miss your family... In my own case..I'm not bothered..na only my elder bro dey naija...d rest with ma parent they here

Food is expensive here... So if you the type that love African food...you will hav to pay extra to enjoy it

you have white acquitances. Doesn't mean they are friends. Some can be friends though but it takes events and time.

25 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by jesmond3945: 7:44am On Mar 19, 2022
truthsayer009:
I don't know why you asked for only negatives but okay. For non-english speaking countries or cities: In germany, language is a barrier, while I was on the train I always had people stare at me in amusement, It was a non-english speaking area. I felt very uncomfortable most times.

In the UK it feels a lot better but they show sublte racism by not sitting close to you in a Bus, crossing over to the other side on the side ways in the night. Cost of living also depends if you are in the major city. Eating out is very expensive, you must know how to cook. Package delivery is terrible except for Amazon deliveries. So much depression in the winter because people hardly go out.

At the end, to me all this things are still minor.
in uk personal space is a thing. If you are a foreigner it becomes bigger. However, the mantra is this good fences make good neighbours.

15 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by BigDawsNet: 8:28am On Mar 19, 2022
jesmond3945:
you have white acquitances. Doesn't mean they are friends. Some can be friends though but it takes events and time.

They are good close friends broda

You don't know them...
We have been friends for a while..
And I'm currently dating one...

So to be honest they are good people...
They are different and I kinda fancy them

12 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by jesmond3945: 10:24am On Mar 19, 2022
BigDawsNet:

They are good close friends broda

You don't know them...
We have been friends for a while..
And I'm currently dating one...

So to be honest they are good people...
They are different and I kinda fancy them
you stay in north America?
Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 10:37am On Mar 19, 2022
jesmond3945:

Thank you for that key word "acquaintances" not friends.

Only reason I communicate with them is to learn their culture, mannerisms and lifestyle.

Apart from that, their friendships count for nothing for me anyways.

But what gets to me most are those their smiles even they literally hate you, I'd prefer you tell me to bugger off or be irritated rather than displaying the set of 32. grin

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by BigDawsNet: 11:00am On Mar 19, 2022
jesmond3945:
you stay in north America?

Ofcourse

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by ENG0701: 12:09pm On Mar 19, 2022
bepositive11:

Others have complained about racism. Do you also experience racism?

Honestly no. I know there is in Canada also, but much better than a lot of other countries including US. One of my reasons for choosing Canada over US is that Canadians are much more open to immigration

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 6:44pm On Mar 19, 2022
ENG0701:

Honestly no. I know there is in Canada also, but much better than a lot of other countries including US. One of my reasons for choosing Canada over US is that Canadians are much more open to immigration

Ok. Thanks for sharing your experience
Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 6:48pm On Mar 19, 2022
BigDawsNet:

Millionaire in $ not naira...

Yes, I understood that.

Is it that the environment doesn't encourage people to own businesses?
Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 6:48pm On Mar 19, 2022
chukwuibuipob:
there's always a Judas out of 12.The company u keep can make/destroy u.The insects that destroy a vegetable is beneath it.

That's very true
Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by BigDawsNet: 7:57pm On Mar 19, 2022
bepositive11:

Yes, I understood that.

Is it that the environment doesn't encourage people to own businesses?

Starting a business in a western country shows you are very fit financially... So i believe if you pump some good funds into the buisness...it will yield very good profit..

What I meant is that.. Hustling on Blue collar job, menial job... you can never become a millionaire... You will only work, make some money... Pay bills and continue to follow the system.... Sometimes you may need to even apply for credit card...

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 8:26pm On Mar 19, 2022
BigDawsNet:

Starting a business in a western country shows you are very fit financially... So i believe if you pump some good funds into the buisness...it will yield very good profit..

What I meant is that.. Hustling on Blue collar job, menial job... you can never become a millionaire... You will only work, make some money... Pay bills and continue to follow the system.... Sometimes you may need to even apply for credit card...

I get what you mean now. Thanks for explaining

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Bifwoli: 1:28am On Mar 20, 2022
sweetmelanin:
Con 1: Loneliness
If you are going as a student, this wouldn't be an issue for you as you will always meet your fellow Nigerians and other Africans on campus. There will always be afrocentric societies or events to join especially in countries like USA, UK, Canada etc... Another major solution is to find a Nigerian, Ghanaian, any black or multi-cultural church near you.. make sure to explore options before settling to become a member of a church.. RCCG is often a great place to start but make sure you are compatible with the crowd there.. this helps a lot.

Con 2: Strict laws
The laws are strict but that's the price to pay for a sane society that works. Don't bring Nigerian lawlessness here and expect to get away with it.. pay your taxes, do things through the right channel, obey the rules but never lose your humanity.
Con #2 is so very unfortunate .We Africans have been raised really badly to think street vending ,trashing everywhere ,having area boys ,bribe authorities and being late /loose with rules is the accepted norm.
The we come here and start feeling squeezed and uncomfortable with the many rules (which is a virtue) because we've been wrongly conditioned our whole lives to normalize/accept disorder .We see positives as a con.

35 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Bifwoli: 1:36am On Mar 20, 2022
BigDawsNet:

But don't give potential immigrants the wrong expectations it can be very depressing when they finally get here.
Truth is millionaires are few (even amongst the native born )and in fact worldwide its only the top 5% to 10% of the whole population become millionaires.The vast majority of Americans ,Brits ,Germans ,Australians ,Japanese have never had $1m in their accounts or even in terms of net wealth of assets such as cars,houses and liquid money.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 5:05am On Mar 20, 2022
Totilopussylick:

You can be walking towards a white person to ask for a direction, they'll begin to walk faster away from you cry

I think we need to be honest with ourselves here. Nigerians are well known for making a bad name for themselves. We are well known around the world for fraud. Unfortunately, the innocent ones end up paying a price

How can they differentiate between the Nigerians who are genuine, honest, and kind and the Nigerians who are liars, fraudsters, and thieves?

I honestly don't blame them for being afraid. Even us Nigerians, we are sometimes suspicious of the intentions of our fellow Nigerians

13 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 5:10am On Mar 20, 2022
jesmond3945:
be careful relating with Nigerians. Other African countries are okay.

Please, why do you say so?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 5:16am On Mar 20, 2022
Bifwoli:
The vast majority of Americans ,Brits ,Germans ,Australians ,Japanese have never had $1m in their accounts or even in terms of net wealth of assets such as cars,houses and liquid money.

shocked shocked shocked

So is the comfortable life abroad just a myth?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by BigDawsNet: 8:28am On Mar 20, 2022
Bifwoli:
But don't give potential immigrants the wrong expectations it can be very depressing when they finally get here.
Truth is millionaires are few (even amongst the native born )and in fact worldwide its only the top 5% to 10% of the whole population become millionaires.The vast majority of Americans ,Brits ,Germans ,Australians ,Japanese have never had $1m in their accounts or even in terms of net wealth of assets such as cars,houses and liquid money.

Absolutely bro...
Like I said the more he invest on his buisness...the more he makes cool income... Other factors may set in tho

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 20, 2022
bepositive11:

I think we need to be honest with ourselves here. Nigerians are well known for making a bad name for themselves. We are well known around the world for fraud. Unfortunately, the innocent ones end up paying a price

How can they differentiate between the Nigerians who are genuine, honest, and kind and the Nigerians who are liars, fraudsters, and thieves?

I honestly don't blame them for being afraid. Even us Nigerians, we are sometimes suspicious of the intentions of our fellow Nigerians

Okay, please let's analyse this together. You see a man walking towards you in the UK asking for direction & you start moving away.

So how do you know this "certain black man" is from Nigeria or any other country in Africa, is there a Nigerian flag placed on black people's forehead?

I don't know when it is okay to accept that this Brits are simply racist, until they print it on A4 paper and send to you before you accept the reality.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Wazzaowner(m): 9:27am On Mar 20, 2022
Yeah, In Europe most whites tend to avoid blacks in trains, trams, even at nightclubs.. I have adjusted to the life already.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by jesmond3945: 11:07am On Mar 20, 2022
truthsayer009:

Okay, please let's analyse this together. You see a man walking towards you in the UK asking for direction & you start moving away.

So how do you know this "certain black man" is from Nigeria or any other country in Africa, is there a Nigerian flag placed on black people's forehead?

I don't know when it is okay to accept that this Brits are simply racist, until they print it on A4 paper and send to you before you accept the reality.
it depends on where you are, North UK is not like that
Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by jesmond3945: 11:20am On Mar 20, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Thank you for that key word "acquaintances" not friends.

Only reason I communicate with them is to learn their culture, mannerisms and lifestyle.

Apart from that, their friendships count for nothing for me anyways.

But what gets to me most are those their smiles even they literally hate you, I'd prefer you tell me to bugger off or be irritated rather than displaying the set of 32. grin
if they tell you to bugger off, they won't be able to eat your money or talent

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 11:41am On Mar 20, 2022
truthsayer009:

You need to learn how to see things from their perspective. While you're thinking "they're racist", they're thinking "it's better safe than sorry"

We can't deny the fact that Africans, Nigerians especially, have made a bad name for themselves. If we want people to feel safe with us, we need to start working on our reputation

12 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by bepositive11: 11:48am On Mar 20, 2022
Wazzaowner:
Yeah, In Europe most whites tend to avoid blacks in trains, trams, even at nightclubs.. I have adjusted to the life already.

It's good that you've adjusted, but I honestly don't blame them, and I don't think that it's racism. We need to start working on our reputation

In Nigeria alone, the news we see every day - ritual killings, kidnappings, armed robbery, jungle justice, rape, drugs, fraud, scam, sexual harassment. And a lot of them take these abroad

On top of that, the political corruption is draining our economy and dragging millions into poverty

How can people from other nations respect us?

11 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Princewill1(m): 12:28pm On Mar 20, 2022
1. Racism And Discrimination.

2. Loneliness And Absence Of African Communal Living.

3. Strict And High Taxation.

4. Severe Weather Conditions.

5. Exposure To Natural Disasters: Hurricanes in North America, Earthquakes And Tornado in Asia etc.

6. Feminism And Favourable Women's laws. If you're a man.

7. Proneness To heavy Indebtedness: They run a credit-based economy.

8. Being Forced To Accept Anti-African Culture And Behaviors: Polygamy is forbidden and illegal, while LGBT is promoted.

9. High Cost And Limited Access To Lots Of African Foods.

10. The last And Not The Least Is: RAT RACE
It will take wisdom and God's intervention for you to escape from it.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by pocohantas(f): 12:41pm On Mar 20, 2022
mamatwiny:
Child care is the worse case. You may lose your child to government if you are not careful. You could go to jail for childcare.

My friend relocated to America years ago. She innocently told the doctor that her child has been refusing to eat and she had to force-feed the child. grin grin

She got carried away with the smile and thought she could confide in her doctor. The man started asking her questions, then he said “Do you need help with the baby?” Her husband almost brought down the roof. Say ah, talo ran e ise?!!!

Hahahahaha!

28 Likes

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 1:29pm On Mar 20, 2022
jesmond3945:
it depends on where you are, North UK is not like that

I agree with you, maybe it's because of the predominantly Asian population in the north.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 1:31pm On Mar 20, 2022
truthsayer009:

There's also "accent based discrimination" which is why a Black Brit would prefer to be friends with a white than an African.

All in all, discrimination is ingrained in Human D.N.A: Race, Accent, Tribe, Religion, Marital Status, Class etc.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Itzlinda(f): 5:05pm On Mar 20, 2022
Princewill1:
1. Racism And Discrimination.

2. Loneliness And Absence Of African Communal Living.

3. Strict And High Taxation.

4. Severe Weather Conditions.

5. Exposure To Natural Disasters: Hurricanes in North America, Earthquakes in Asia etc.

6. Feminism And Favourable Women laws. If you're a man.

7. Prone To heavy Indebtedness: They run a credit-based economy.

8. Being Forced To Accept Anti-African Culture And Behaviors: Polygamy is forbidden and illegal, while LGBT is promoted.

9. High Cost And Limited Access To Lots Of African Foods.

10. The last And Not The Least Is: RAT RACE
It will take wisdom and Gods invention for you to escape from it.

What’s this rat race. Abi dem no de make money there?
Re: What Are The Cons Of Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 20, 2022
Totilopussylick:
I left Nigeria 23rd September 2020 to Spain, and my flight was 'Air France' so I landed in Paris airport.

I boarded Flix Bus going to Spain, inside the bus was a white man and a woman seated by my right side, and a group of Indians seated in front of me.

I noticed that the white people don't like seating next to black fortunately we are seated according to the numbers on the ticket, so they has no choice.

We had several stop by during the journey, the only thing that unit both of us was cigarettes.

You can ask a white person for cigarette, they are not stingy.

In Spain, you are not attended very well if you don't know Spanish and worst of it all if your black.

You can be walking towards a white person to ask for a direction, they'll begin to walk faster away from you cry
Bleep!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Car Accident Along Bori Road In Rivers State Leaves Scores Injured- Graphic Phot / Cow Crashes Into Car In Delta (photos) / Heavy Duty Vehicle Fell At Okorocha Tunnel In Owerri- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.