Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator (15942 Views)

Single Nigerian Ladies In Diaspora, Any Reason Why You Turn Down Our Guys? / How Do You Turn Down Someone's Food Without Offending Them?? / Lady Tried To Turn Off Gas In Her Kitchen. See What Happened Next. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by bepositive11: 4:23pm On Mar 24, 2022
Why do you on the gen when going to sleep? For fan or AC? Can you continue sleeping without them when it turns off?

Hezzyluv:
On 10pm off 2am.
I don't even wakeup to off it, I just guage the quantity of fuel that can take me within 4hours and pour into the gentank before going to bed.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by shortgun(m): 4:25pm On Mar 24, 2022
SunKamSolar:
1 million for 1 Yr on fuel can never be 24hours a day.
Go solar and tou will never back off.
I see you are into solar.
I don't like much talk.
Here's the deal, I will give you 1m and you will set up a solar system for me that will power 1 AC unit(1.5hp),
1 freezer(120litr), 1 fridge and other home appliances like TV and decoder that will last for 1 year.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Hezzyluv: 4:37pm On Mar 24, 2022
bepositive11:
Why do you on the gen when going to sleep? For fan or AC? Can you continue sleeping without them when it turns off?

Lagos heat wear g-strings grin
Around that kind 2-3am, no more heat again
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by SUPERPACK: 5:10pm On Mar 24, 2022
shortgun:
Most people shouting install solar panels up and down on this thread don't have it or use only the small ones that can power only fan and TV for 4 hrs.

It doesn't make sense for someone to spend 1m naira on solar power system yet it can't power ACs and freezers, it's a total waste of money.

3k Naira fuel daily in a medium size generator will give steady power for all home appliances for one year with that 1m naira.
Nonsense solar power angry angry

You did not mention that each solar panel you buy has a 25 years warranty compared to your Generator that has 2 years. Solar is a long term investment not short term like your gen. If you have one million for fuel per year it is not bad to go for a solar system of 4 million that will give you what you want. Countries are moving into solar, they are not drunk they are simply seeing what you fail to see.

When you add generator oil and maintenance, plus the fact we have few good generator engineers you will end up spending more than one million a year, then add it to the price you bought the gen too.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Prayfortheworld: 5:23pm On Mar 24, 2022
Exkandayee:
I don't have generators and never joined grid,,,,,I just carry pannels ehh full rooof,I no dey play, I really spent alot on that shit I swear
E Dy carry your AC chairman
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by 360command: 5:41pm On Mar 24, 2022
Exkandayee:
I don't have generators and never joined grid,,,,,I just carry pannels ehh full rooof,I no dey play, I really spent alot on that shit I swear
how much you spend and what year did you do it.. does it serve you 24hrs/7days?
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Oluwapresley(m): 5:48pm On Mar 24, 2022
PointZerom:

The law says you should put off your gen at 12am. Unless it is an hospital etc.

Ohoh. So there is a law like this. Can you help with a link please?
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by PointZerom: 6:13pm On Mar 24, 2022
Oluwapresley:

Ohoh. So there is a law like this. Can you help with a link please?

I don't HV the link but we have handled a case on it before in the court of law. A landlord dragged one of our relatives to court for refusal to put off his gen by 12am. The court ruled that the tenant should pay 500k for environmental pollution/ public nuisance and said that the gen should always be put off by 12am unless if there's any special case(s) eg, hospital, a pregnant woman/nursing mother Bellow 6 months.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by PointZerom: 6:15pm On Mar 24, 2022
Prayfortheworld:

Very well but not all AC,
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Dminister(m): 6:22pm On Mar 24, 2022
Lol steady burning of fuel. On 6pm and off 6am daily
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by shortgun(m): 6:25pm On Mar 24, 2022
SUPERPACK:
You did not mention that each solar panel you buy has a 25 years warranty compared to your Generator that has 2 years. Solar is a long term investment not short term like your gen. If you have one million for fuel per year it is not bad to go for a solar system of 4 million that will give you what you want. Countries are moving into solar, they are not drunk they are simply seeing what you fail to see.

When you add generator oil and maintenance, plus the fact we have few good generator engineers you will end up spending more than one million a year, then add it to the price you bought the gen too.
Solar is always good when people talk about it but in practice in doesn't come close to what people say.
You stylishly didn't talk about the expensive batteries that will need to be replaced after few months of use, the inverters that blow up appliances.

Other countries that are embracing solar as you said are doing so through solar farms on grid level where every necessary components, equipments and machinery are put in place and adequately monitored by professionals for optimal performance not on household level like we do here.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by SUPERPACK: 6:31pm On Mar 24, 2022
Prayfortheworld:

All appliances that use electricity have an AC and a DC version. If you want to go solar it will be better to buy all DC appliances to conserve energy. DC appliances are known to use half or even 1/3 of energy consumed by their AC conterparts.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by SUPERPACK: 7:02pm On Mar 24, 2022
shortgun:

Solar is always good when people talk about it but in practice in doesn't come close to what people say.
You stylishly didn't talk about the expensive batteries that will need to be replaced after few months of use, the inverters that blow up appliances.

Other countries that are embracing solar as you said are doing so through solar farms on grid level where every necessary components, equipments and machinery are put in place and adequately monitored by professionals for optimal performance not on household level like we do here.
What do you say about faulty generators that damage appliances on daily basis too? My phone charger got roasted by a generator and even a standing fan too.

Buying an inverter requires a good model and proper installation too, it also requires knowledge of maximum load of an inverter too. Same way a generator gets spoilt when you overload it is same way an inverter gets damaged.

As for the battery, all batteries are not equal, most people buy the normal car battery and use on their solar installation which is wrong, go for a solar battery meant for solar panels. Each battery has a charge cycle that must be maintained, most batteries have 500 charge cycle for the cheap ones while the stronger ones have 3000 charge cycles.

Also it is advised to switch to DC appliances as against AC appliances for more energy conservation. You cant be using a 2500 watts fridge when we have 300 watts fridge with same capability, using an AC fan of 150 watts, use 30 watts DC, Use a 700 watts DC pressing iron instead of a 2000 watts AC iron, use a DC air conditioner instead of an AC energy wasting air condition.

Note: Most people that do solar installation for people have little knowledge of how the systems function.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Exkandayee(m): 7:08pm On Mar 24, 2022
Prayfortheworld:

Sure 12 A.Cs
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Exkandayee(m): 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2022
360command:
how much you spend and what year did you do it.. does it serve you 24hrs/7days?
Lolz, funny guy,is 24/7
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by enoch273: 7:14pm On Mar 24, 2022
I turn on my gen 8:00pm, and off at 11:00pm, enough time to fully charge my 27000mah oraimo traveler 3 byte powerbank, and it lasts a week.

Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Coolgent(m): 8:37pm On Mar 24, 2022
I dont use Generator, solar energy is the best!
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by charlsecy(m): 8:48pm On Mar 24, 2022
Hezzyluv:
I just guage the quantity of fuel that can take me within 4hours and pour into the gentank before going to bed.
Is this healthy for the generator? How about power being restored?
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Hezzyluv: 8:54pm On Mar 24, 2022
charlsecy:
Is this healthy for the generator? How about power being restored?

Lots of people had quoted me saying, "it's not good for gen". But, do I have choice? Coming down from the third story building to put off gen around 2am looks somehow to me.
@bold, there's change over inside the house.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Mom007(f): 9:39pm On Mar 24, 2022
Exkandayee:
Na you get sense pass bros! You investment is now paying you like white!
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Olushevy: 10:16pm On Mar 24, 2022
jaelz:
I would like to know what time you usually turn on and off your Generator set during this massive heat and fuel scarcity period, mine is turned on around 9 p.m and switched off by 12:00 p.m on the dot.
8pm - 10.30pm
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Hybrid600: 10:32pm On Mar 24, 2022
You be flexing a 10 KVA?

Exkandayee:
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Prayfortheworld: 10:47pm On Mar 24, 2022
SUPERPACK:
All appliances that use electricity have an AC and a DC version. If you want to go solar it will be better to buy all DC appliances to conserve energy. DC appliances are known to use half or even 1/3 of energy consumed by their AC conterparts.
What's DC
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by SUPERPACK: 11:27pm On Mar 24, 2022
Prayfortheworld:

What's DC
DC is Direct current, AC is alternating current. Solar panels produce DC current, while generators and alternators produce AC current. Read more on the difference.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by SUPERPACK: 11:32pm On Mar 24, 2022
Hezzyluv:

Lots of people had quoted me saying, "it's not good for gen". But, do I have choice? Coming down from the third story building to put off gen around 2am looks somehow to me.
@bold, there's change over inside the house.
Buy a wire that can run from your room to the generator, then open the point where the on and off switch of the generator is located. Connect the wire in place of the switch and then keep the switch in your room. You can then off it as you wish.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Prayfortheworld: 11:34pm On Mar 24, 2022
SUPERPACK:
DC is Direct current, AC is alternating current. Solar panels produce DC current, while generators and alternators produce AC current. Read more on the difference.
Is their ac with DC current?
Or can solar power inverter AC?
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by SUPERPACK: 11:51pm On Mar 24, 2022
Prayfortheworld:

Is their ac with DC current?
Or can solar power inverter AC?
There is Air conditioning units that run on DC current but I don't think they are available here in Nigeria. Saw some on amazon and ebay.

Solar panels can also run an AC inverter but this will depend on your battery capacity and if you don't have a battery then you have to have enough panels to power them directly when it is sunny.

Note: Solar can power any appliance be it an industrial or household appliance, na money dey talk.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Prayfortheworld: 12:05am On Mar 25, 2022
SUPERPACK:
There is Air conditioning units that run on DC current but I don't think they are available here in Nigeria. Saw some on amazon and ebay.

Solar panels can also run an AC inverter but this will depend on your battery capacity and if you don't have a battery then you have to have enough panels to power them directly when it is sunny.

Note: Solar can power any appliance be it an industrial or household appliance, na money dey talk.
thanks sir if i buy enough battery and solar panels it can power everything both Fridge?
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by SUPERPACK: 12:16am On Mar 25, 2022
Prayfortheworld:

thanks sir if i buy enough battery and solar panels it can power everything both Fridge?
Solar can power anything you want, I mean anything even a car. The question is do you have enough money to do a one time investment on it. We have factories, hospitals, companies and banks running solely on solar how much more a single individual consumption.

Go for energy efficient fridges in place of the old fridge to cut cost, but that wont be an issue if you have enough money.
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by Prayfortheworld: 12:41am On Mar 25, 2022
SUPERPACK:
Solar can power anything you want, I mean anything even a car. The question is do you have enough money to do a one time investment on it. We have factories, hospitals, companies and banks running solely on solar how much more a single individual consumption.

Go for energy efficient fridges in place of the old fridge to cut cost, but that wont be an issue if you have enough money.
If i budget 2m for the purchase of solar that can power everything will that be enough?
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by bepositive11: 12:58am On Mar 25, 2022
Hezzyluv:

Lagos heat wear g-strings grin
Around that kind 2-3am, no more heat again

grin grin grin
Re: Around What Time Do You Turn On And Turn Off Your Generator by SUPERPACK: 12:58am On Mar 25, 2022
Prayfortheworld:

If i budget 2m for the purchase of solar that can power everything will that be enough?
It depends on what you want to power with it, I will have to know the equipments you intend to power to know if it is possible. When you use generators you can't expect I pass my neighbour to do what a 10Hp generator can carry, that is how it is with solar too, bigger consumption more solar kit needed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do You Deal With A Close-minded Spouse? / 6 Surprising Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production: Personal Experience / 3-Year-Old Boy Missing In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.