Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? (15058 Views)

My Ugly Experience On My First Day At Work. / What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share / Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by Dollarremix(m): 8:07pm On Mar 27, 2022
zedegit:

I just gave you an idea. Make the move.
Nonsense ingredients.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by Dollarremix(m): 8:08pm On Mar 27, 2022
1billionman:

Thought you said there's a job offer of 20k earlier
No mind the yahoo yahoo job giver

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by frozen70(f): 8:53pm On Mar 27, 2022
zedegit:
Please I discovered long ago that I am very temperamental and don't like being shouted on especially when I know I am in the right.

I usually flare up at my boss for shouting on me and this doesn't seem right although it is true bosses shouldn't shout at their employees.

How do you cope with this at your workplace?

Your Boss is your Boss and you don't have to shout back at him no matter how sincere you are

All you need to do is go back to him later to clarify yourself

By the time you do this severally, he will discover that he is the one that is actually wrong not you
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by joetem(m): 9:26pm On Mar 27, 2022
zedegit:
Please I discovered long ago that I am very temperamental and don't like being shouted on especially when I know I am in the right.

I usually flare up at my boss for shouting on me and this doesn't seem right although it is true bosses shouldn't shout at their employees.

How do you cope with this at your workplace?

i walk away anytime it happens, once i sense toxicity , i move, even if i never get another job... i hate nonsense
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by Londonland: 9:49pm On Mar 27, 2022
1billionman:

Thought you said there's a job offer of 20k earlier
send me mail if you are in ibadan
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by 1billionman: 9:52pm On Mar 27, 2022
Londonland:
send me mail if you are in ibadan

Ok Sir
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by SKhanmi: 10:22pm On Mar 27, 2022
Ekende:

May I ask how one deloads emotions?

You can channel them into strenuous aggressive exercises like punching bags in the gym, pushups, short sprints or any other activity till exhaustion. Crying works for some etc. There is actually a more detailed study about this topic & healing traumas through inducing involuntary body tissues shakes but I'm too busy to dig it out. Basically the premise revolves about how animals who just had near death encounters have been observed to handle the emotional stress by shaking their bodies & moving on with no issues. Humans also have a similar mechanism.
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by iukpe: 3:20am On Mar 28, 2022
The question that needs to be asked here is, what are the things that make those bosses shout?
If the intellectual capacity of the workforce meets the business needs then usually this may not occour. Graduates, experienced and trained staff.
What are their relevance, causes and effects?
Are they actions that go against the code and ethics of your workplace and business?
Are these issues prohibited, has there been previous corrections, warnings against these actions?
Only a rude crazy boss will shout at a worker instead of correction.
Only a careless staff will create repeated or silly occurrences and expect to always be soft talked especially when this may lead to image defamation or service quality issues.
If the intellectual capacity of the workforce is below work expectations then this may occur very often. SSCE holders.
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:17am On Mar 28, 2022
SmileDance:
In my former workplace
Staff to supervisor: I want to go and buy food Ma
Supervisor: Common go and sit down!
God Abeg

grin grin
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by Joeyfizzo: 5:09am On Mar 28, 2022
2braithe:

No cult dey superior.
When men start to dey put am for him body wotowoto,he go sabi.
ok o.. I hear u sir.
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by MARS1(m): 6:11am On Mar 28, 2022
Mercychen:
Before I became my own boss, I used to walk out on them when they start shouting or talking rudely to me. Sometimes I shout back. Kpata kpata na sack.

Then I was still young and staying with my parents. So I damned the consequences. Even the last one, I was already staying alone but I picked up my bag and walked out on the director as she was shouting.
It was after that I prayed that I was never going to work for anyone again. That God should establish me. God answered and today, I don't face such. The highest would be to dialog with a school director and resolve it amicably.

Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by MARS1(m): 6:56am On Mar 28, 2022
Mercychen:

Shout?? I don't have strength to shout. If I assign you to a school and you don't show up, na your salary go tell. That way, I get to save my breath.

Anyways, most of my staff/team members are married women. So they corporate.

For me, even while I taught, I've never been shouted at, I don't shout at people, when I have disagreement or misunderstanding, we just have to reach a common cause by shifting grounds. Why would any one result to shouting because you're a boss, that's absurd to me, no one's a kid here. Even if eventually a boss shouts at me, I would maintain a cool and calm demeanor as if nothing serious happened but, I have this colleague that can even shout at her boss, she doesn't care, so everyone deals with her with respect.

I work in tech and in telecoms, so why would anyone be resulting to shouting, nothing can even cause it.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by brainycaleb(m): 7:19am On Mar 28, 2022
My Indian boss shouted at me during a discussion because someone else wrongfully reported me to him, he refused to hear me out, wanting none of what I had to say, I simply resigned immediately! I knew my worth. My colleagues asked about me, he said he didn't fire me that I could still return if I want...

Same day I was replaced but... The damages my replacement would cause before understanding the job, would take almost 3 months and machine replacement parts would cost millions of naira.

I'm running my own shop right now with peace of mind.
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by uncleFola(m): 9:19am On Mar 28, 2022
How do I contact you please. In need of the job

Thank you

Will you take a #20 000 salary job

Mondays - Fridays 7am to 5pm?[/quote]
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by Inishalom(m): 11:49am On Mar 28, 2022
Iamrespected1:

Qualifications ontop 20k work
You need to check your head

Chai comrade, your mouth no good o
grin
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 28, 2022
MARS1:

For me, even while I taught, I've never been shouted at, I don't shout at people, when I have disagreement or misunderstanding, we just have to reach a common cause by shifting grounds. Why would any one result to shouting because you're a boss, that's absurd to me, no one's a kid here. Even if eventually a boss shouts at me, I would maintain a cool and calm demeanor as if nothing serious happened but, I have this colleague that can even shout at her boss, she doesn't care, so everyone deals with her with respect.

I work in tech and in telecoms, so why would anyone be resulting to shouting, nothing can even cause it.

It depends on the setting of your department and where you work.

Then, I was either working directly with the chairman of a company as a secretary or a full time teacher. So if mails don't posted or checked in time, it can warrant some shouting.

The last shouting experience I had as a teacher was during that Ebola period ( 2014) when we were asked to use protective materials to prevent the spread.

The school was trying to be smart by not providing enough materials and this is a school that charges kinders 95k then for school fees yet we keep having shortage of protective hand gloves.

Then I was handling the nursery class where you still need to hold some of them to aid them in writing. Meanwhile, most of them just got back from abroad as they travelled during the long summer break which makes it even more risky to handle them with bare hands. So I got angry and said I was not going to attend to any child if the school doesn't provide gloves.

The bursar went and reported to the director and she came shouting, that I'm always trying to dictate to the school, bla bla bla. I just picked my bag and walked out on her when I couldn't stand her blabbings. That was how I left the school. I cant come and contract Ebola.
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by zedegit: 1:19pm On Mar 28, 2022
frozen70:

Your Boss is your Boss and you don't have to shout back at him no matter how sincere you are

All you need to do is go back to him later to clarify yourself

By the time you do this severally, he will discover that he is the one that is actually wrong not you

Kile wrong ni. Which boss will ever admit being wrong?
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by zedegit: 1:22pm On Mar 28, 2022
Bobbyjay001:

Are meteorology graduates not employable in Nigeria?

It's like asking are Petroleum engineering graduates not employable.

Where it happens it's rare. It's more viable abroad.

I remember a guy that wanted to read aeronautical engineering.

Las las he advised himself and went for medicine. He's doing well now.
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by frozen70(f): 1:23pm On Mar 28, 2022
zedegit:

Kile wrong ni. Which boss will ever admit being wrong?

That's why he is your Boss

If you can't work under him, walk away by resigning, instead of being sacked
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by MARS1(m): 1:24pm On Mar 28, 2022
Mercychen:

It depends on the setting of your department and where you work.

Then, I was either working directly with the chairman of a company as a secretary or a full time teacher. So if mails don't posted or checked in time, it can warrant some shouting.

The last shouting experience I had as a teacher was during that Ebola period ( 2014) when we were asked to use protective materials to prevent the spread.

The school was trying to be smart by not providing enough materials and this is a school that charges kinders 95k then for school fees yet we keep having shortage of protective hand gloves.

Then I was handling the nursery class where you still need to hold some of them to aid them in writing. Meanwhile, most of them just got back from abroad as they travelled during the long summer break which makes it even more risky to handle them with bare hands. So I got angry and said I was not going to attend to any child if the school doesn't provide gloves.

The bursar went and reported to the director and she came shouting, that I'm always trying to dictate to the school, bla bla bla. I just picked my bag and walked out on her when I couldn't stand her blabbings. That was how I left the school. I cant come and contract Ebola.

I knew you to be a no nonsense lady...

A trait i love....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 28, 2022
MARS1:

I knew you to be a no nonsense lady...

A trait i love....

Lol.. it wasn't funny then though. I don't like people playing on my intelligence.
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 28, 2022
iukpe:
The question that needs to be asked here is, what are the things that make those bosses shout?
If the intellectual capacity of the workforce meets the business needs then usually this may not occour. Graduates, experienced and trained staff.
What are their relevance, causes and effects?
Are they actions that go against the code and ethics of your workplace and business?
Are these issues prohibited, has there been previous corrections, warnings against these actions?
Only a rude crazy boss will shout at a worker instead of correction.
Only a careless staff will create repeated or silly occurrences and expect to always be soft talked especially when this may lead to image defamation or service quality issues.
If the intellectual capacity of the workforce is below work expectations then this may occur very often. SSCE holders.

Most times it's not a case of having low intellectual capacity or qualifications. Sometimes it may come from a place of hatred or resentment. Like in my case, the school refused to provide protective kits during the Ebola period and when I refused to attend to the pupils, it resulted in shouting.

In this case, who's fault was it and what would you term it?
Is that not tyranny?
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by MrValthegreat: 8:15pm On Mar 28, 2022
VACANCY! VACANCY!! VACANCY!!!
A foremost publishing company in Nigeria is hiring a Sales Representative in Asaba Delta State.
Qualifications:
B.Sc, HND, NCE or ND
If interested and qualified forward your CV to okparaval@gmail.com
Or by WhatsApp to 0703546278
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by UCHIHAmask: 11:07am On Sep 28, 2022
Before I became my own boss, I used to walk out on them when they start shouting or talking rudely to me. Sometimes I shout back. Kpata kpata na sack.

Then I was still young and staying with my parents. So I damned the consequences. Even the last one, I was already staying alone but I picked up my bag and walked out on the director as she was shouting.
It was after that I prayed that I was never going to work for anyone again. That God should establish me. God answered and today, I don't face such. The highest would be to dialog with a school director and resolve it amicably.

Now that GOD has settled you,hope you aren't guilty of unnecessary shouting at your inferiors.
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by lavylilly: 11:21am On Sep 28, 2022
I worked with a woman like that, when I resign she was not only shocked but devasted.
Joeyfizzo:
In the military u bloody hell shut up n recieve the bashing from ur superior. After he's done u bloody hell salute him. That's discipline
Re: How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? by lavylilly: 11:55am On Sep 28, 2022
I was set up by my Boss...

In my career, I've had two difficult bosses..

While I was working offshore as a Team Leader in the mid-2000s, I had a Superintendent with whom we didn't agree. He didn't like me, he had his boys and he treated the other team members poorly. I tried to mend it, but he was a workplace bully who enjoyed shouting, so, I reclined and went into my shell.

He was bent on ranking me low, so, he needed to push the narrative. An incident happened in the field while I was off duty. An operator on night duty slept off with the Flowstation on bypass and by morning, we had produced crude oil into the atmosphere. It was very bad. Everywhere was charged with the fumes from the crude oil, and we could not shut down because we needed to meet production target.

I was called from home by my boss to go to the field to audit what happened. I got in, saw what happened, and proffered a solution. He insisted I should stay back to fix it. I stayed back, put measures in place to arrest the situation and pumped back the crude oil from the bund wall into the process, and remediated the contaminated areas. Instead of getting a thank you, my boss blamed me for the incident and put it on me.

Some people will lie against you, believe the lies, and use them against you. They're that mean, biased and manipulative. Overcoming workplace adversity is a skill that prepares you for the challenges ahead.

I was shocked and disappointed. Unfortunately, I wasn't there when he spoke with his bosses and told them it was due to my fault, and that incident affected my appraisal that year. I felt cheated, I was angry and I had an emotional outburst. I remembered all I had endured from him and went off on him.

If it happened now, I would have handled it differently. I would do the following:

1. I will assert myself. Instead of reclining, I will respectfully speak up.

2. I will manage up and ensure my boss's colleagues and boss are aware of my performance and the situation I was passing through.

3. I got emotional. I should have kept my emotions under check, stayed professional, and kept delivering on my job.

4. I should have asked for a transfer to another location.

5. I should have made others aware of what I was going through.

6. When he wanted to blame me for what I didn't do, I should have notified the manager and asked for an independent audit or investigation instead of keeping quiet.

Anyway, the incident made me stronger. I overcame all that he threw at me, got my career back on track, and enjoyed accelerated promotions with my next boss, who was objective, visionary and transparent.

In the course of your career, you'll face a difficult boss at least once. Always remember to keep delivering on your job, stay professional and never get emotional.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Seven Up Recruitment-submit Cv / Kaduna State Releases List Of Successful Teacher S Board Candidates / Reputable Oil & Gas Conglomerate Fresh Graduate & Exp.job Vacancies-47 Positions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.