Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,705 members, 7,831,208 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story (44523 Views)

Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story / Virginity Doesn't Guarantee A Stable Marriage (a Must Read for young ladies) / My Marriage; A Blessing Or A Curse. Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by intruder15(m): 5:48pm On Apr 17, 2022
odinson1:

2. most men get married because of the Thought of Endless sex. This is really laughable because most of the time,their wives become lazy and sexually unresponsive to them after their 2nd or 3rd child. So getting married because you want an endless supply of sex is Foolish and very short sighted. And don't forget,that Sexiness you see in her today will fade away before she Hits menopause,or when/if she Gets Fat after her 1st baby.
3. Feminism! The whole purpose of marriage have been defeated by 3rd wave feminism,and it's even worse if you are a Christian or Muslim. I just watched a video today on youtube where a white woman said "breastfeeding of babies is not natural,and women shouldn't be tasked with it as a responsibility" because after all,there are milk formulas children can be given. What is being implied here is that imposing that kind of responsibilites on women is sexist and demeaning. Now tell me if you'd want a woman like that as the mother of your kids. Granted,not all women are feminists,and certainly only a small percentage of women think like that. But...DEM NOR DEY WRITE AM FOR HEAD
I know I will be called all sorts of names like "alfa male", small boy,broke and frustrated, mummy's boy etc. But it's all just shaming tactics and emotional blackmail really,a Logical thinking person wouldn't give in to all that nonsense. So my fellow men,i employ you today to GIVE ME JUST ONE BENEFIT OF MARRIAGE THAT IS EXCLUSIVE TO ONLY MEN.
And before you give me "the joy of having children" as your answer,just remember that you can most certainly have kids without getting married

I don't think anybody gets married because of endless sex. How can a playboy that can have different girls every week settle for one? I think it's a difficult decision for the playboy to settle down if it was because of sex.

1 Like

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Sureplug123(m): 5:49pm On Apr 17, 2022
ukaface:
what are the benefits?
I know of a lady that wants to get married because she's tired of paying bills. Women are like that.

4 Likes

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by omosuper(m): 5:50pm On Apr 17, 2022
NewSoul:
There are no more marriageable women! I repeat there are no more marriageable women. Men getting married these days are putting their lives and well being on the line
I beg to differ. I enjoy my marriage even after having a girl and a boy as children. My only regret's why did I have to wait this far before I proposed to her. "One man's inputs is another man's outputs".
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Cutehector(m): 5:50pm On Apr 17, 2022
ExcelDBM:

A simp spotted. It'll be a wild goose chase arguing with you.
swears.

1 Like

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by phemmyfour: 5:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
advanceDNA:

Fallacy...

Spouses die..Children grow up and leave to live their lives...sometimes, that bearly have enough to feed themselves...dont you are old people working and even begging

Make money and get ready to take care of yourself at your old age..whethwr you have a family or not...
Experience will teach you what you don't know.

I was at general hospital last week at old age section, they all came there with wife/children/brothers/sisters, as support not maid, girlfriend etc

3 Likes

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by AmazonTopaz(f): 5:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
DontBullshitMe:
Enough of the wailing.

You want marriage, marry.

You don't want marriage, don't marry.

Exactly, carry on

3 Likes

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by DKM123: 5:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
Some of you are not very okay o.

Shebi if you were enjoying the single good life and it was Eldorado, only to get married and it is hell, THE SIMPLE LOGICAL THING TO DO WILL BE TO RETURN THE BRIDE PRICE AND GO BACK TO YOUR PARADISE?

Yet, I am yet to come across a NIGERIAN MAN WHO IS ABOVE 50 WITHOUT A WIFE. Infact when their wife dies, WITHIN ONE YEAR, they have run to get another wife like it's oxygen they can't remain without.. Some even have 4wives at once. So why is it almost impossible to see a SINGLE NIGERIAN MAN OF 50 AND ABOVE. Maybe in the western world that it is common but in Nigeria, lailai. Cos they know that they suffer less in the marriages where they mostly control thier wives like pingpong.

There are many single mothers and widows who have vowed never to marry again and are living thier lives but you won't find a single divorced or widowed man that is still single after a few years.

SO WHY DO NIGERIAN MEN LOVE MARRIAGE THAT THEY SAY IS HELL SO MUCH?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by ukaface(f): 5:52pm On Apr 17, 2022
Yubeejakes:

Generally speaking, I think the world is not fair to men.
U can't walk in a place without the hearing the phrase ' ladies first'. When there's an emergency ladies will be evacuated first alongside children. FGS!!! what happens to Gender equality? I feel they just want to eat their cake and still have it
I thought ' it's a man's world'.

2 Likes

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by pocohantas(f): 5:52pm On Apr 17, 2022
DKM123:

Shebi if you were enjoying the single good life and it was Eldorado, only to get married and it is hell, THE SIMPLE LOGICAL THING TO DO WILL BE TO RETURN THE BRIDE PRICE AND GO BACK TO YOUR PARADISE?

Yet, I am yet to come across a NIGERIAN MAN WHO IS ABOVE 50 WITHOUT A WIFE. Infact when their wife does, WITHIN ONE YEAR, they have ran to get another wife. Some even have 4wives at once. So why is it almost impossible to see a SINGLE MAN OF 50.

There are many single mothers and widows who have vowed never to marry again and are living thier lives but you won't find a single divorced or widowed man that is still single after a few years.

Someone’s 83y/o father decided to remarry not too long after his mother’s death and they told him to allow his father because he needs a companion. Na who no know them dey follow their mouth.

DKM123:

Imagine, 83 year old man still searching for a wife. Which 83year old woman will search for a husband? Yet, they are saying the marriage favours the women but they refused to let go.

If you twist it the right way, they would agree with you. I was surprised they all knew the importance of marriage that day and I wondered why they didn’t tell the father to get a side-chick or babymama. Like it is their sidechicks nursing them in old age.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 17, 2022
Nyascobar1414:

never sacrifice your comfort for another human, at least not a female
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by ukaface(f): 5:53pm On Apr 17, 2022
Sureplug123:
I know of a lady that wants to get married because she's tired of paying bills. Women are like that.
so automatically she would stop paying for anything ? Even though she's working?? If yes, then she's wicked.
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Iamzik: 5:55pm On Apr 17, 2022
ukaface:
I can't relate with your write up though.
My mum did help my dad with bills, they were both working and both made use of their finances to hold up the family.
Now I don't see why a man would marry a woman to just sit at home and do nothing while he pays all the bills. It boils down to the kinda woman he is getting married to, I can't be in a marriage and allow my husband pay all of the bills even though I'm earning my pay, it's absurd. Whoever introduced y'all to that mindset did y'all an evil thing.

Men complain bitterly nowadays because y'all don't discuss this marriage thing before getting married. Why will you get married to a lady who finds it difficult to help you financially during courtship and then all of a sudden you want her to miraculously help out in marriage. Hiaaaaa.
Y'all men and women should do well to talk marriage matters, parenting matters, get to know your spouse( even though you can't possibly know all about them, but you can still try) not everytime ' when are you coming to my house?' and then all of a sudden, you get down on one kneel to propose marriage.

I laugh Una, Una go complain tire

It's ok to laugh

And it's ok to blame people for not checking properly before they marry. The particular case I referenced in my reply is a close relative. The wife was very very supportive before marriage. After marriage her sisters told her she is a fool that home expenses are 100% the man's responsibility. It's really absurd to the extend she buys ordinary toothpaste and tells the man it's her own he should go and buy his own. It's not a good story.

So no matter how much you research your partner truth is he/she can change. There are just too many influences - relatives, friends opinion etc.

There is a reason why my generation is afraid to get married and this is it. Nothing is guaranteed. It may work with the right person and it can also be a disaster in the end.
When I see stories like this I'm always cautious before aportioning blames. My brother's experience taught me a great lesson.

Truth is marriage is difficult in today's world....even scary. You need two people who are thinking right (not necessarily to please culture, religion or society) to attempt to make it work.

May God help those already In it and guide those about venturing into it

1 Like

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by DKM123: 5:57pm On Apr 17, 2022
pocohantas:

Someone 83y/o father decided to remarry not too long after his mother’s death and they told him to allow his father because he needs a companion. Na who no know them dey follow their mouth.

Imagine, 83 year old man still searching for a wife. Which 83year old woman will search for a husband? Yet, they are saying the marriage favours the women but they refused to let go.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Nyascobar1414: 6:00pm On Apr 17, 2022
killmods:

Bro I just saw everything clearly while reading the OP. And this babe I'm talking about isn't Nigerian tho she visits and is known by my entire family but recently we don't agree like u know how those people feel u want to dictate for them. Worse is she earns more and is even in the process of buying a house. We had a fight recently over the phone and she reminded me she works for her money and takes care of herself so she will not be dictated to. If i talk one she go talk 20. If i correct her she go say i want to control her life and dictate for her. So imagine if i go ahead with her and move over there as she wants because she doesn't agree to settle here.. no be die be that with her kind of person? She supposed come over next month but i just told her I needed a break. This thread just woke me up again because I was planning on taking the next step with everything before the fight but right now I can't even think in that direction. These past weeks I have been undecided but now this thread... no too vex i just needed to pour everything out.

Brace up man!
Anything that does not make you happy, anything that your Instinct goes against dont do it...
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Nyascobar1414: 6:01pm On Apr 17, 2022
phemmyfour:
Stat shows that those without family are more likely to experience such than those that with a family

which stat
Show me a prove
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by LadyRosa(f): 6:03pm On Apr 17, 2022
Fantasticcc:
Every husband should have your type around,either as a sister or a family friend.But be careful not to eat what she or her mother prepares

grin grin grin

My brother for say poison dey kill me I for don die sinceeeee grin
I Will eat her food and her mother's.Anyway her mother is a very nice woman.
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by sageb: 6:08pm On Apr 17, 2022
An interesting story
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Cutehector(m): 6:09pm On Apr 17, 2022
cerpvad:
Never marry a lady who you can't control
very important.
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Agbebakun22: 6:09pm On Apr 17, 2022
ibechris:

I have benefited immensely from Marriage like it or not.

Marriage benefits far outweighs its disadvantage. When it comes to investments,my wife is my partner and my advisor and in fact,someone I rely on to offer her cherished ideas.

I have never been depressed as a married man but many of u singles are already depressed with baby mama's.

Financially,married people like me reach their financial goals faster than singles out there...who are looking for a baby mama to impregnate.

Married people have shown commitment to appointments and responsibilities than singles.

Marriage is a driving force that helps u to take ethical responsibility and that is why u will see more unserious singles caught as yahoo plus men.
count yourself among the lucky one's or most stories posted here about marriage are most married people languishing in regrets

1 Like

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Cutehector(m): 6:09pm On Apr 17, 2022
Meklex:
is she short?
it seems all short women are devilish, no wonder you asked if she is short. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Victerica(m): 6:10pm On Apr 17, 2022
omotola90:
on a public forum...well it differs though...

Ogbeni, you no get talk!
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by SmartyPants(m): 6:12pm On Apr 17, 2022
DKM123:

Yet, I am yet to come across a NIGERIAN MAN WHO IS ABOVE 50 WITHOUT A WIFE. Infact when their wife dies, WITHIN ONE YEAR, they have ran to get another wife. Some even have 4wives at once. So why is it almost impossible to see a SINGLE NIGERIAN MAN OF 50 AND ABOVE. It is in the western world that is common but in Nigeria, lailai. Cos they know that they suffer less in the marriages where they mostly control thier wives like pingpong.

SO WHY DO NIGERIAN MEN LOVE MARRIAGE THAT THEY SAY IS HELL SO MUCH?

I'm sure you know that most Nigerians feel compelled to remain in marriage. Just the exact way women get battered and abused but don't leave.
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by omoyankee3(m): 6:13pm On Apr 17, 2022
My brother, this is exactly the situation I'm in right now. I'm doing well for myself, love traveling and seeing the world....just a free spirit. But I'm being pitched the idea of marriage by well meaning folks.

sgtponzihater1:
The very beginning:

This is one question I probably know the answer to. I could afford a flat, My cable subscription was on point, I hardly ran out of data, except my smile plug was temporary offline, and I could very well feed myself with all the sort of meals I wanted. I also was far above average for a cook.

I really was not thinking of a wife at all. Ladies came and went. I knew while women can be pleasurable, living with them forever could probably cause a strain. So I avoided them for nearly 30years of my life if not more. I obviously was not a Saint, yet I tried my best to do no harm.

Then the scammers came. I can remember all of them. They saw my good life and wished me suffering. They painted the wrong narrative. "PonziHater, you shouldn't be cooking all this soup yourself and doing the dishes everything. "You need a woman to soften things up", when they found me in the restaurant eating "ogufe", they blurted out loudly that I was just a wasting money when I could have a wife to easen things up. They made vague references men who were supposedly living happier lives because of the women in their life. All these men were disgruntled, but kept a fake smile to sell a false narrative

The truth it was it was all brainwash. I felt good, happy and free. I couldn't afford the best designers, but my shirt were "red tag", and my pants were decent. I could fuel my car, and "afford" any lady on the daily. I truly then did not understand the softening of life that they claimed Marriage will bring, but with their emphasis, I thought of a near heaven, where lovely meals, a lot of sex, children calling me daddy and a wife to walk to in the park. What I found going forward was just like being at the peak of orgasm in a brothel, just at the point when the police were breaking in. It was some pleasure subsequently followed by gross imprisonment. It was going to hell on a 24hours drive, and then returning only to be stopped in the middle of nowhere by robbers. It was the most distasteful experience a man could see.

To be continued

ChiefSgtPonziHater

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Femi8586(m): 6:13pm On Apr 17, 2022
ibechris:

I have benefited immensely from Marriage like it or not.

Marriage benefits far outweighs its disadvantage. When it comes to investments,my wife is my partner and my advisor and in fact,someone I rely on to offer her cherished ideas.

I have never been depressed as a married man but many of u singles are already depressed with baby mama's.

Financially,married people like me reach their financial goals faster than singles out there...who are looking for a baby mama to impregnate.

Married people have shown commitment to appointments and responsibilities than singles.

Marriage is a driving force that helps u to take ethical responsibility and that is why u will see more unserious singles caught as yahoo plus men.

He's asking you the EXCLUSIVE BENEFITS males enjoy, you're saying another thing. undecided

No one says marriage is bad, but doesn't mean we should speak facts and things the way are at times.
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by advanceDNA: 6:14pm On Apr 17, 2022
phemmyfour:
Experience will teach you what you don't know.

I was at general hospital last week at old age section, they all came there with wife/children/brothers/sisters, as support not maid, girlfriend etc

U now mentioned maid, brother, sisters....meaning a man doesn't have to be married to have people that will be there for him at old age...... another fact of life..

U marry doesn't mean your children and wife will be the ones to care for you
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by omotola90(m): 6:14pm On Apr 17, 2022
Victerica:

Ogbeni, you no get talk!
give me talk now...professor lindus angry

1 Like

Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by omotola90(m): 6:14pm On Apr 17, 2022
grin
omotola90:
give me talk now...professor lindus angry
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by ibechris(m): 6:16pm On Apr 17, 2022
Agbebakun22:
count yourself among the lucky one's or most stories posted here about marriage are most married people languishing in regrets

U are right my brother.
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by Femi8586(m): 6:17pm On Apr 17, 2022
ibechris:

Men benefits more in marriage than women.

grin grin
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by EhisChelsea1(m): 6:18pm On Apr 17, 2022
odinson1:

With all this long talk, you still didn't mention one EXCLUSIVE benefit men have to gain from marriage.

All you wrote is a bunch of fallacies, marriage is just a Name,a term and a contract.
It doesn't make one automatically successful as you may think. Being married does not magically make one motivated to reach any goal,it is just a Term and a Contract where you devote your entire life, energy and resources,being committed to a woman who's only Goal is to have a Slave(who sees himself as king,mental slavery if you will) and Continuously milk him dry down till the very last drop.
Ever wonder why most husbands are thinner than their wives, while the wives look like baby elephants? It is because the man has been tirelessly working day and night, to Feed a Parasite whose only value to give is sex. Yes,there are women who offer way more than sex,but the Majority wins the vote right?

Life is much more than what is in it for me. Anyone with this kind of mindset is surely not for, and shouldn’t get himself entangled in marriage, or anything worthwhile and noble for that matter. Life (marriage inclusive) is not a competition or transactional business where, the motivating force is “what do I stand to gain more than my partner”. This sort of thinking isn’t even healthy.

Where then, is the place of sacrifice, compromise, patience and selfless giving? These, makes life worth living, rather than what the person exclusively stands to benefit. If we were to go by this your mindset, no one will be involved in philanthropy, helping the needy, reaching out to the orphans and charity work in general (including medical services) because, what you tend to give in such noble services far outweigh what you get in return
Re: Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story by wtracy15: 6:19pm On Apr 17, 2022
Jazzman01:

Are you married? If you are not then lets have your feedback 1yr after tying the knot.

The rate of divorce is on the high side. If truly marriage is as sweet as honey. Then it shouldn’t be.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

I'm Getting Tired Of This Marriage! / Confusion In My Very Young Marriage / 25-Year-Old Lady Gives Birth To Six Babies Within 3 Years Of Marriage. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.