Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. - Properties (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. (42710 Views)

Real Estate Firms All Over Nigeria Should Check This Out. / Grave Inside Compound I And Family Are About To Move Into / Ways To Reduce Cost Of Beautifully Flooring Your Compound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Emmanuelcann: 9:17pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc.
Are you serious? With the thieving criminals we call politicians in this part of the world you propose to add to the burdens of the masses? Have they finished looting the petroleum money? Build and maintain what? The money they are looting to stash abroad will only increase. Thanks for this brilliant idea.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Oppy2k2: 9:28pm On Apr 28, 2022
Wetin consign u? U will just open your mouth waaa and talk rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:42pm On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?
. How many poor people can afford the sum 9f N5m for space at the Vault in Ikoyi?.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:43pm On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?
. How many poor people can afford the sum of N5m for space at the Vault in Ikoyi?. Free Dem jor, to burry their dead any where in peace jor.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:50pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.
the bigger the house and amenities and land, the bigger the property tax.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.
With all the tax, what have they done with the money, with still have worst road network, insecurity, epileptic power supply et'al., Abeg park near parking well with property tax. An average Nigerian I know 8s ready to pay for anything, so long the person is getting value for his/her money. I personally a usually have a tax deduction of over N25k monthly, and I still pay to access the basic amenities I deserve and you are here aggitatting for more taxation. God won't answer your prayer.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:53pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.
With all the tax, what have they done with the money, with still have worst road network, insecurity, epileptic power supply et'al., Abeg, be parking well with property tax. An average Nigerian which i know is ready to pay for anything, so long the person is getting value for his/her money. I personally a usually have a tax deduction of over N25k monthly, and I still pay to access the basic amenities I deserve and you are here aggitatting for more taxation. God won't answer your prayer.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Dollarremix(m): 11:14pm On Apr 28, 2022
Gunnerz14:
I can relate
Confirm!!
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Dollarremix(m): 11:16pm On Apr 28, 2022
Innobee99:
It's everywhere
That's true.but Kogi state own na Bava.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Dollarremix(m): 11:18pm On Apr 28, 2022
Zubi10:
Which part of kogi state do you know
All parts of Kogi
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by vikgreen01(m): 12:00am On Apr 29, 2022
Glink2018:

do you live in lekki? if you live in lekki , you see a lot of rich people who bury their dead in their compound.

the former governor of Oyo state was buried in his compound. probably you will say he is poor and wretched .... Oponu !

When I see the comment that only poor person bury their beloved in their compound, ajimobi and even the popular generous prophet T.B Joshua was buried on his property. Some people are just plain stupid and ignorant.!! I can’t phantom how some of them do think.!!!
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 12:20am On Apr 29, 2022
-
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by NaBanga: 1:20am On Apr 29, 2022
Although it's not common, this is still allowed in the United States. I live near some family burial plots. There is no harm in it. You can choose to relocate your ancestors if you decide to sell.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Jury(m): 5:09am On Apr 29, 2022
hammermcc:

We pay tax on our property in Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi annually. You don't have any statistic or record to that effect, do you?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by vicchuks7: 6:24am On Apr 29, 2022
hammermcc:
it has become a tradition in Nigeria that most corpses are usually buried in their compound instead of at a public cemetary. burying dead in their compound is bad for real estate business and land laws.

An example of this dilemma is the guy on this thread who was contemplating his family land with is mom's grave in the compound.

https://www.nairaland.com/7093708/should-sell-late-mothers-house

One uncircumcised pi*e has spoken
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by MetaPhysical: 10:36pm On Apr 30, 2022
Amos1423:
What do you mean Oyibo man in Africa, do you mean Africa is meant for backwardness?

See, the OP is right in all he is saying. One of the reasons people still bury in their compound is because government doesn't have use for big hectares of land yet because they don't think development if not most of y'all claiming to own lands won't own cause property tax alone would scare you off. If government decides today to implore the British standard building, do you think it'd be built on waters? How then would we have a developed cities when everyone's only defense for our backwardness is that it's cultural to own lands forever as such its enough reason why other progressives shouldn't think development.

Check out Singapores housing structure, in 1979 Singapores housing was nothing to be compared to Nigeria also the standard of living but today would you say same of Nigeria and Singapore in terms of housing?

People were forced to flee their homes through government sponsored crisis thereafter occupying those places which forced everyone to rent houses, that way landlords would pay property taxes or people be forced to rent government own houses through their housing scheme; we are still living in 1979!.

Britain is a land of one language, one history, one root, one philosophy. Equity is balanced. Same for Singapore. Nigeria is an exception, we do not share root, history, language or philosophy. Land use law will not be equitable. Do not propose first class laws for a fifth class society, it will not work.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by tamcamp253: 11:29am On May 01, 2022
Lol na small small grin grin
Jmichael1:

bros abeg gv me jst 10liters....

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes 13 Illegal Buildings Along Airport Road / 3-storey Building Collapsed In Umuahia [PHOTOS, VIDEO] / Struggles Of Living In A Rented Face Me & Face You Compound (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.