Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,777 members, 7,813,566 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. (42701 Views)

Real Estate Firms All Over Nigeria Should Check This Out. / Grave Inside Compound I And Family Are About To Move Into / Ways To Reduce Cost Of Beautifully Flooring Your Compound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Asianjollof007: 11:34am On Apr 28, 2022
Do you know the cost of acquiring a land and building house in nigeria ? Your idea of paying "heavy property tax" or whatever to the government is total rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Fortun3(m): 11:35am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
To everyone opposing this progressive methods, keep in mind that this is just one of a few policies that needs to be implemented in order for Nigeria to move towards true development like very other developed country in the world. No doubt these methods may face some resistance at first in the name of tradition and culture. In the end , the right ting will eventually prevail when Nigerians are really serious and ready to develop .

The taxes they are already collecting now, let them use those to create a change and we would pay extra

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Soldierboy30(m): 11:35am On Apr 28, 2022
Taxation is good talk if the government will put the money to good use instead of diversion to personal use. It will also reduce people acquiring landed properties they don't intend to use in years as this in its own way slows down development these I agree on but i totally disagree with the logic of people Buring their dead on their property. The example you gave about the young man does not suggest how his late mom being buried on their property is hindering development. You only taked about it hindering the intended resell of the property. No one knows if after the said property is sold it will be developed or just keeps being resold for financial gain while not being developed. I have never being to South Africa or Asai so I can't say for both countries but I have lived in the US and Europe and people who can afford it bury their dead on their properties. The wealthy(elites) as the world likes to put it in these countries too bury their dead on their property. I would love to agree with you on laws to forbid people from buring their loved one on their property but you haven't given a good logic as to why. Also, every part of the world has a culture and your culture is your identity. In the US, people celebrate their cultural days, even their marriages is based on their tradition (US and Eu) and I don't mean just black people and Asians . Even the pure whites(caucasians) have traditional dishes. People don't pick this observations when coping the white folks. Also we are still 3rd world as sad as that is so when we talk about development which we all seek, I personally don't like dead folks being buried at home but in my opinion it is below %1 the reason for our slow real estate or structural development as a country.
Sha na just my 1cent opinion �
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Asianjollof007: 11:40am On Apr 28, 2022
DryMouth:

See where your brain is leading you.
A typical Nigerian. So the yearly tenement rate that is paid by landlords is not enough.
They should impose a heavy property tax so that the price of renting an accomodation would skyrocket.

Buhari would do better than most of you.

Most nigerians are selfish, very selfish.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Zubi10(m): 11:44am On Apr 28, 2022
Dollarremix:
Kogi state people no go like this one ooo
Which part of kogi state do you know

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by almarthins(m): 11:46am On Apr 28, 2022
Urheadmaster:

Africans are blinded by culture.

It's only in Africa specially in Nigeria people bury their dead love one in the compound instead of cemetery sad

Culture abi?
Have you been to any public cemetery before?

If I tell u wetin I see for one public cemetery, e go shock you. After 2 years dem don remove the person inside grave sell their bones n whatever they can find for ritual n fetish medicine. As me I bury my papa inside him mansion. If I no tell u no go know self.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by emmykk(m): 11:46am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.
the bigger the house and amenities and land, the bigger the property tax.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.

That people did not reply you shows you are not making any sense.

1 .People don't like paying tax any govt that try to do that will clash with the masses.

2. All the tax that have been paid in one form or the other how many social benefit are the people getting.
Security is zero,
Electricity is zero
Universities are on strike
Road is zero
Rather these politicians will vote security votes running to billions for themselves.

Please if you have too much money go and donate it to motherless home instead of suggesting we paid property tax

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Testimony1988(m): 11:48am On Apr 28, 2022
It depends on choice, and is not that common.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Holluwhakemmy(f): 11:50am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.
You want to make life more difficult for people in Nigeria again?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SLOVFO(m): 12:00pm On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?
They don't do that because Lekki isn't their ancestral land. Go to their hometowns, you will see that they buried their dead in their very "compounds"
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SETHARTHUR(m): 12:06pm On Apr 28, 2022
I second this. You are wise.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Dewicy(f): 12:06pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
it has become a tradition in Nigeria that most corpses are usually buried in their compound instead of at a public cemetary. burying dead in their compound is bad for real estate business and land laws.

An example of this dilemma is the guy on this thread who was contemplating his family land with is mom's grave in the compound

Baba please keep all your opinions to your self, the tax we have been paying, do we see any of it's effects, person manage garther money buy land build him house, you still want lay burden ontop him head, to pay tax. If only you know the suffering going on in Nigeria. because u have money to feed doesnt mean everyone has the equal opportunity despite the fact they live in their personal houses. You can't think of opinions that can make life easier for the layman. Smh

https://www.nairaland.com/7093708/should-sell-late-mothers-house
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Titaniumental: 12:06pm On Apr 28, 2022
They've actually banned it in some towns in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Apr 28, 2022
Op Carry your wahala live here no be everybody de them bury for this place go to some peoples compound u go see their grave
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Eryyy92: 12:25pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
To everyone opposing this progressive methods, keep in mind that this is just one of a few policies that needs to be implemented in order for Nigeria to move towards true development like very other developed country in the world. No doubt these methods may face some resistance at first in the name of tradition and culture. In the end , the right ting will eventually prevail when Nigerians are really serious and ready to develop .
So having persons buried on cemeteries will make this country develop? Smh undecided I hope it will also improve the economy too

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by ikorodureporta: 12:28pm On Apr 28, 2022
Cemeteries wey don become mining sites cheesy

For Ikorodu, almost all the compound get grave
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by JayPeeOham: 12:30pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

Go to all the Nigerian villages and ask them to ban evil forest fes... Then we the National Assembly can MAYBE consider taking up this your proposal tongue grin
Remember, I said MAYBE ooo grin
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 12:51pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.
What have they done with the tax they've been collecting? Is failure to collect property tax the reason why they borrow in billions and embezzle it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Iamnorth: 12:54pm On Apr 28, 2022
OP wants to sale im inheritanbe but him dey dread say spirit go flog am!... Well most muslims don't practice that especially in the north
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by tnerro1(m): 12:56pm On Apr 28, 2022
Why do people like comparing Nigeria to first world countries, we are a Third World country, you want us to jump to first without passing through second.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Ogbeniomo: 12:56pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

Forward all dis, to national assembly for scrutinizing.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Rubyventures: 12:59pm On Apr 28, 2022
You want to copy everything in the developed worlds.. Ok ,in the UAE they don't pay tax because the money from the oil revenue is used to develop the country. Let Nigeria copy that. Nigerian politicians/ law makers are the highest paid in the whole world. Imagine those illiterates who use the house of reps to boast about how many wives and kids they've got and cant even write a sentence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Jollos(m): 1:02pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Listen ,we we need to implement a strong institutional system of checks and balance which will close the current loopholes and eradicate massive corruption as currently going on in Nigeria. The loopholes are currently open that's why it's easy for public officer holders to embezzle without repercussion.
judiciary and legislature must be strongly separated in all possible ways .
if most of these are implemented, it wont matter where the governors and president is from? .

Do this first before enforcing tax.

Let me cite this example
The road that lead to my house render my Corolla useless, I then bought an SUV, now the absorber and lower arms are bad. And am paying for roadworthy. Is that not craziness. When it is the road that is spoiling my car.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Tradegood: 1:04pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc

Kindly address this please.

Are you saying the yearly tenement rate paid by LANDLORDS is not enough or something or that it is not TAX enough?
And minimum wage is N30 000?

You and I know that Landlords will simply transfer the new tax burden to rent. The Landlords will not feel the pinch.

A single room that ought to be N10,000 is going for N150,000 because of the high cost of living.

Who is the Government? Government is the people, and the people have all said no to your suggestion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by aydgov: 1:09pm On Apr 28, 2022
That's not a barrier, all he needs is family resolution to move the corpse to another place for better interment. Procurement of another parcel of land for the arrangement that's all.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by DryMouth: 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2022
Asianjollof007:

Most nigerians are selfish, very selfish.
Dnt mind the idiot..
Seems he has never heard of "land use charge"
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by merrymike47(m): 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
regrettably the world would have ended then. Funny how you guyz will argue the irrelevant instead of the relevant. How will burying a corpse at the cemetery improve the security of the nation or reduce the prices of goods and services. Mind you we do not have to be like others to get it right. If they are not burying their corpses on the road, then I don’t see how it is affecting development.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by lynx200(m): 1:30pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

Sir, what makes you think property taxation is right? There are countries doing well without taxation (except for the normal PAYE). UAE is one example.

Even in the Western world, people are getting tired of the excessive taxes. Imagine working all month only for you to hand over almost two thirds of your wages to the taxman. It's a great disincentive. It's why wealthy people find legal ways to avoid doing such.

What we should be doing here to raise revenue for go ernment is setting up businesses in conjunction with the private sector (What Obasanjo tried to do with Transcorp and what happens in South Korea), or invest in fast growing businesses in foreign countries. Excessive taxation is killing Europe and North America.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by pacespot(m): 1:34pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

I have been saying this, land fragmentation is one of major problems confronting real estate development in Nigeria. All lands should be owned by the government and planned for both industrial and residential uses. For instance, how can some few rich people confiscate large expanse of lands in the highbrow areas like Ikoyi, Asokoro, Maitama, etc, for their own personal and family uses without paying property tax
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by greypencils: 1:36pm On Apr 28, 2022
Na you go pay for N500k vault in a private cemetery? Or you think I would risk being buried in a public cemetery where grave robbers can defile my corpse?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Berankis: 1:36pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

What property are talking about? Instead of you to channel your energy at Land grabbing, real estate fraudsters and other property scams you are busy talking about burrying the dead in the house or away.
You can't buy Land now in Lagos without re-buying the same land twice or three times. It's guaranteed! And nothing is being done about it.
We leave real issues and start wasting energy on less important ones. How many people bury their dead in their houses these days? It was majorly in the past and phasing out gradually.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes 13 Illegal Buildings Along Airport Road / 3-storey Building Collapsed In Umuahia [PHOTOS, VIDEO] / Struggles Of Living In A Rented Face Me & Face You Compound (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.