Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,777 members, 7,813,566 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. - Properties (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. (42702 Views)

Real Estate Firms All Over Nigeria Should Check This Out. / Grave Inside Compound I And Family Are About To Move Into / Ways To Reduce Cost Of Beautifully Flooring Your Compound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Litmus: 1:39pm On Apr 28, 2022
Urheadmaster:

Africans are blinded by culture.

It's only in Africa specially in Nigeria people bury their dead love one in the compound instead of cemetery sad

Nigerians should be proud of this and other nations should emulate Nigeria if possible. I also admire some Nigeria ethnic groups that lay to rest some loved ones in the foundation of their homes. Op's summation of the tax discrepancy is a salient one.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by pacespot(m): 1:42pm On Apr 28, 2022
IGBOSON1:
Each country has its own peculiarities and challenges! Inter your loved one in a public cemetery as you’re suggesting and the next morning you start looking for their head!

Then, let them go chop the head now, that is their wàhálà, you have done your part by burying your loved one respectfully.

This also suggests that we will need security around those public cemeteries. But do you think the reason why people bury their loved ones at home is to secure the grave?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by AHMZUL22(m): 1:43pm On Apr 28, 2022
Whether alive or dead people should be respected. The kind of affection between someone and the dead may not allow a person to bury the remains of their loved ones in a place turning to potential skull mining site.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by a2d3rew(m): 1:45pm On Apr 28, 2022
Talk about city only, all this land wey I have waiting I go take do with it,. Any one wey want Land from chibok local government borno state, make he call me,na free.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by pacespot(m): 1:50pm On Apr 28, 2022
naija4life247:

Another TAX for evil politicians to embezzle again? Developed nations use TAX to provide amenities, African politicians embezzle TAX

Don't forget that the bulk of the taxes mentioned by that guy will be paid by the politicians themselves. Who owns luxurious houses in multiple places, who buys exotic cars and other luxurious assets mostly?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Newyorkitis(m): 1:59pm On Apr 28, 2022
There is a law in Nigeria against burying the dead in residential places without the permission of the President or the Governor...... Liable to six months imprisonment.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by EjaikreTheViper(f): 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2022
Gentlerespect76:

See bros, there is something I need you to understand. That very guy you are talking about in the earlier thread, who wanted to sale a piece of property but was having conscience attacks, he is the only child of his late mum. Now, adults around, particularly his mums people had chosen to bury the woman in that compound for a reason which is beyond you. That burial in that compound was done so that no one could dispossess the young man of his property in the future. Whatever old people did, it was always for a purpose. But as the saying goes, anything that has advantage will also have a disadvantage.

You have spoken well
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by LZAA: 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2022
naija4life247:

Another TAX for evil politicians to embezzle again? Developed nations use TAX to provide amenities, African politicians embezzle TAX
You dey reply am?
Common oil money politicians have stolen blind and taunt the populace and you expect people to trust them with tax
Smh

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by WoundedLamb: 2:02pm On Apr 28, 2022
There's a graveyard near a park in Toronto. It's so beautiful that people go there with thier mats during summer to relax and have fun. There's this section owned by a Chinese royal family. That's my favorite part. It has a lot of interesting huge dragon statues. My dude from Nigeria wouldn't set foot there. Lol.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Rubyventures: 2:06pm On Apr 28, 2022
greypencils:
Na you go pay for N500k vault in a private cemetery? Or you think I would risk being buried in a public cemetery where grave robbers can defile my corpse?

Not only that, they will sell the same grave to more than 100 people. Nigerians have been scammed through out their lives by the govt , let them rest in peace i beg. There are plenty other things in the country to tackle, than making family land easy for anyone to sell.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Freezby2020: 2:08pm On Apr 28, 2022
Will you keep quiet, why would Nigerians pay another Tax than they have being paying.
Infact, what has become of the Taxes collected, No road, no Electricity after over sixty years of Independence, no water, Security is zero percent, Health Care is below 20% infact every one is for himself and God is for us all.
So what property Tax are you still advocating for. Tell me, you Agent of the STATE angry sad angry sad

hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by leokid866: 2:14pm On Apr 28, 2022
Freezby2020:
Will you keep quiet, why would Nigerians pay another Tax than they have being paying.
Infact, what has become of the Taxes collected, No road, no Electricity after over sixty years of Independence, no water, Security is zero percent, Health Care is below 20% infact every one is for himself and God is for us all.
So what property Tax are you still advocating for. Tell me, you Agent of the STATE angry sad angry sad

Actually less than 20% of Nigerians pay their taxes.....most of Nigerian economy is in the informal sector and most major formal business work hard to evade tax one way or another........Nigerians always quick to compare Nigeria with other developed nations but don't want to pay for the lifestyle.......go bury your dead on your property in America without the proper paperwork and see what happens........it's most likely your neighbor that will report you..... sad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by zedegit: 2:17pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.
the bigger the house and amenities and land, the bigger the property tax.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.

You are high on ogbomosho weed.

Can you account for all the monies running in trillions of naira that was recovered from Abacha?

Do you think that politicians are saints to use resources judiciously? You are living in delusion.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by msughdoo: 2:22pm On Apr 28, 2022
Houses are already overvalued in places like Lagos. It is exploitative to charge expensive property taxes again. The taxes already generated in Nigeria, are they not embezzled?

hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by M7even(m): 2:44pm On Apr 28, 2022
Gentlerespect76:

See bros, there is something I need you to understand. That very guy you are talking about in the earlier thread, who wanted to sale a piece of property but was having conscience attacks, he is the only child of his late mum. Now, adults around, particularly his mums people had chosen to bury the woman in that compound for a reason which is beyond you. That burial in that compound was done so that no one could dispossess the young man of his property in the future. Whatever old people did, it was always for a purpose. But as the saying goes, anything that has advantage will also have a disadvantage.

To further buttress your point about the only child selling his mothers property. He is the sole heir to the property. And If selling the property to gain the chance at bettering his life is guaranteed he should sell it. While leave in penury and end up in penury in a house you can't maintain.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by shantti(m): 2:50pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.
the bigger the house and amenities and land, the bigger the property tax.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.

What about the tax Nigerians pay from their taxable income. How many roads has the govt built with it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Prince001(m): 3:03pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

Oh really, are u serious? People like u got big problem ooo. U asking tax from people that never get any assistance or social amenities from the govt. I understand d model u trying to copy but in develop world they offer assistance and social amenities as a base line for the citizens to make money after then they can ask for tax cos Naija case we have enough to help our people thrives! Paying of tax is just plus for running of govt cos we have resources.
Let d govt di d needful then they can ask for tax money from d citizen. Anyway I don give up on all these looters and heartless politicians we have so therefore we need a reboot. Yorùbá Nation, Biafra republic no going back!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Tapout(m): 3:28pm On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?

Off Point.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 28, 2022
Wetin concern you? Shey na your papa compound?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Gentlerespect76: 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2022
M7even:

To further buttress your point about the only child selling his mothers property. He is the sole heir to the property. And If selling the property to gain the chance at bettering his life is guaranteed he should sell it. While leave in penury and end up in penury in a house you can't maintain.
Well, if you check the comments, you would realize that I did not comment; what the boy does is entirely up to him and should be his own decision. I have no opinion on that which was why I did not comment. And I wish to let it be so.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Gentlerespect76: 3:46pm On Apr 28, 2022
EjaikreTheViper:

You have spoken well
Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 28, 2022
TheLawAsItIs:

It has been a crime for a very long time.
Section 246 of the Criminal Code Act of Nigeria criminalises it. It is just one of those many laws that are not being enforced.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by bepositive11: 4:03pm On Apr 28, 2022
Cherish people when they are alive. Those houses will eventually change ownership. Would you opt to buy a house with people buried in it? Isn't that selfishness to some extent

khadaffi:
Are you kidding me? Do you know what goes on in public cemetery? What we should first focus on is security. After securing those alive then we can talk of securing the dead before such practices can be encouraged.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by sunbreaker: 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?
what of former govt.of Oyo state and mko abiola?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Sermwell(m): 4:17pm On Apr 28, 2022
otokx:

In Nigeria family owns land forever especially in the rural areas where they have their roots.
Get some education oga
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by ransomed: 4:26pm On Apr 28, 2022
A prodigal son will love this post, are you one?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Hahjascho(m): 4:39pm On Apr 28, 2022
How did this selfish argument get to front page?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Aaay: 4:40pm On Apr 28, 2022
Oh
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by stevestifler(m): 4:57pm On Apr 28, 2022
People pay property tax in Nigeria, so dont talk about what you dont know. We are overtaxed in Nigeria without anything to show for it. Do you know how much Land Use Charge in Lagos is? Do you know how much you'll pay to the government for permits when building?

hammermcc:

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by luluman: 6:19pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

What proof do you have that we are not the 3rd word country? Or 4th sef.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by doe: 8:55pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
it has become a tradition in Nigeria that most corpses are usually buried in their compound instead of at a public cemetary. burying dead in their compound is bad for real estate business and land laws.

An example of this dilemma is the guy on this thread who was contemplating his family land with is mom's grave in the compound.

https://www.nairaland.com/7093708/should-sell-late-mothers-house

Most buried at eventually get buried elsewhere so the property can be sold. It's only a matter of time. In some cases, property sold with body cos they forgotten over time.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Mafxeless: 9:02pm On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

you are a compound fool! your kind deserves buhari treatment

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes 13 Illegal Buildings Along Airport Road / 3-storey Building Collapsed In Umuahia [PHOTOS, VIDEO] / Struggles Of Living In A Rented Face Me & Face You Compound (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.