Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? (50057 Views)

Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / Anambra Widow Refuses To Drink Water Used In Bathing Her Late Husband / Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Mimiranky: 9:48pm On Apr 30, 2022
Giving the ancestors what belongs to them.... So that when we die too the ancestors will give us food and people will give us too when we get to underworld ..

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by victorv12(m): 9:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
To pay respect to the lost ones.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by ofuonyebi: 9:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
It is a tradition os saluting and honouring the gods and ancestors of the LAND
Because what the Elders can see even when sitting down, the child can never see it while standing!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by kernniejay(m): 9:57pm On Apr 30, 2022
jeff1607:

Imagine the missionaries didn’t come to Africa you won’t say this
what good has the traditional religions done to you?
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Johnboom: 9:57pm On Apr 30, 2022
For the ancestor.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Wannabenz: 9:57pm On Apr 30, 2022
It's not only on drinks,you can do it also on foods. Just a small amount.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Legendforte: 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

I don't and none of my family members do that. I can't even remember anyone i know ever doing that.

Except you mean pagans who do it as a sign of respect to the demons they worship in the guise of their ancestors.
Quite ignorant of you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Mo10go(m): 9:59pm On Apr 30, 2022
It's what it's
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by aikyg(m): 10:01pm On Apr 30, 2022
It's called libation. It's a way of inviting the gods of the land and the ancestors to join in your merriment.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by patwilly(m): 10:03pm On Apr 30, 2022
badboyTee:
cheesy

According to layman belief

Each time you spill drinks on the floor when you die Those drinks are what you sip in your grave
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by 8stargeneral: 10:03pm On Apr 30, 2022
Is to appease our forefathers to protect us from evil people

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by BloomingDale(f): 10:08pm On Apr 30, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

I don't and none of my family members do that. I can't even remember anyone i know ever doing that.

Except you mean pagans who do it as a sign of respect to the demons they worship in the guise of their ancestors.

You calling God of the Bible a demon? Maybe he is o?

Genesis 35:14
Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He had spoken with him, a pillar of stone, and he poured out a drink offering on it; he also poured oil on it.

Exodus 29:40
and a tenth deal of fine flour, mixed with beaten oil, a fourth part of a hin, and a libation, a fourth part of a hin, of wine, is for the one lamb.

Exodus 29:41
And the second lamb thou dost prepare between the evenings; according to the present of the morning, and according to its libation, thou dost prepare for it, for sweet fragrance, a fire-offering, to Jehovah:

More than 100 passages in the Bible. Could not copy all.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Blackmanpro: 10:09pm On Apr 30, 2022
Am guilty of this, even as little as water I still pour anywhere
Is just an habit that am use to

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:09pm On Apr 30, 2022
It is called libation

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by KingRabota: 10:10pm On Apr 30, 2022
You are extremely Wise !
sonnie10:
for the ancestors
In some traditions, only if the persons father is no longer alive
To appease the ground

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by KingRabota: 10:12pm On Apr 30, 2022
It will take you a few more years to understand. So free am for now
NaughtyBrainiac:
Real Niggar, what does it have to do with one's Father being alive or not?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by stonedigital: 10:13pm On Apr 30, 2022
Connected1:
It's our Culture.

Sometimes I pour it on the ground during public gatherings if I suspect poison, so I do it so that my Gods/Forefathers would protect me.

Other times when I am alone, I do it to show respect to my forefathers and thank them for the opportunity of life, I greet them for my blessings so far and availability of drink to taste.

I am an Igbo man and I don't believe the white man's Culture, I only believe in God which my forefathers believe in.

I do same to and I and my household believe in the traditional of our land and our forefathers
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by naija4life247: 10:14pm On Apr 30, 2022
Godsways:
It's called "libation ". Some do it to appease their gods, some do it as a sign of respect to their dead friends and family, while some do it to induce the blessings of the earth

Even Christians appease the gods and dead friends ?
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Dondraper86: 10:18pm On Apr 30, 2022
Addictions still contribute
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by olatemi767: 10:23pm On Apr 30, 2022
It's call Liberation... At times wen u fail to liberate the ground, u might accidentally fall the drink and the ground have it all...
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Fovickers(m): 10:25pm On Apr 30, 2022
To appease the gods....to juba ile
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by kingdavid105: 10:25pm On Apr 30, 2022
For the gods
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by davidtemi(m): 10:26pm On Apr 30, 2022
illicit:
It's a toast to the ancestors or someone u have lost

It's called libation
is it to someone u have lost that also drinks, or just any of d dead?
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by nonxo007(m): 10:28pm On Apr 30, 2022
I believe its for either of these reasons, as libation to the earth or to a lost one or to simply rinse out the cup before drinking.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by mario2k(m): 10:30pm On Apr 30, 2022
Appeasing the gods and the fore father's
For keeping and protecting them.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT NONSENSE.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by jaxxy(m): 10:31pm On Apr 30, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

If you are one of them, do you also do it in your office?

Legend has it that.... and the rest is history. undecided
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Iyke48: 10:33pm On Apr 30, 2022
To check if the drink don expire or not
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Slynation(m): 10:34pm On Apr 30, 2022
Well... it's one of the unconscious behaviour I normally exhibit whenever I open my drink...
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Kingozymandias(m): 10:36pm On Apr 30, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

If you are one of them, do you also do it in your office?

Korofo must first be served before you taste of the white blood

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by blueAgent(m): 10:43pm On Apr 30, 2022
Daniel7543:
There are some blessings that our forefathers took to the their grave that only drinks (especially alcoholic drinks) can actually restore the blessings back to us.

Story teller.

The dead can not think, eat,run or doing anything neither are they conscious or holding any blessings.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 30, 2022
In their mind they are doing it for the culture
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by 123papas(m): 10:45pm On Apr 30, 2022
fly control

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) / Micheal Ameh Oboni Dies! The Attah Of Igala Is Dead / Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.