Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,476 members, 7,954,858 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:58 AM

Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? (50868 Views)

Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / Anambra Widow Refuses To Drink Water Used In Bathing Her Late Husband / Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Grandkay21(m): 10:45pm On Apr 30, 2022
It is believe to be a sign of respect and also a sign that you have paid your dues to those you don't or those that have lived in land before you, so you can go ahead to doing your thing without disturbance

But must be done in sincerity
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by osazsky(m): 10:46pm On Apr 30, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

If you are one of them, do you also do it in your office?

not people...when someones dad is no more...before drinking alcohol u poor some to the ground..its a tradition..we grew up with it and met it that way so let us leave it dat way..if u still have a dad pls dont except u want him gone quickly...talking as an edo man
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by osazsky(m): 10:49pm On Apr 30, 2022
Clash01:

You never still gather 300k since 4years wet you don dey post this video??
and no improvement for over 4 years...if her health is not improving then it should be deteriorating..but her own just stay one place..it is well.Nigerian's are tereible people

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by osazsky(m): 10:50pm On Apr 30, 2022
Grandkay21:
It is believe to be a sign of respect and also a sign that you have paid your dues to those you don't or those that have lived in land before you, so you can go ahead to doing your thing without disturbance

But must be done in sincerity
for my side na only person way nor get papa again they do am
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by BigYash: 10:55pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mrkumareze:
There are questions children don't ask, so be calm. When you become an adult, your elders can put you through.
grin Funny man..
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by babaalagbo11(m): 10:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mrkumareze:
There are questions children don't ask, so be calm. When you become an adult, your elders can put you through.
God bless you
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by OgunkeelAllMod: 11:00pm On Apr 30, 2022
angry I fukking hate that thing!shayo don cost!the gods can go to hell with all my pleasure undecided..one stupid guy wey, out of just being friendly,I gave my origin bitter make he quaff small ,decided to pour one stupid libation for ground sad ,the Kain speed wey I take snatch my drink from him hand ehn,he shocked..I no gree give am drink again sad. Make he but im own dey trowey' for ground angry.. country hard abeg

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by ALABACONNECT(m): 11:00pm On Apr 30, 2022
I still do this. I take water most times so I do this. No tradition attached to it. Just me with the thought that during packaging, there's always dust that settles at the top of the water before sealing. Might be wrong but I can't stop now cool
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by frankfab(m): 11:01pm On Apr 30, 2022
I'm not a Pagan but I do that.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by eljwallace: 11:05pm On Apr 30, 2022
Hmmm blacks and their mental slavery we do it to pay homage to our ancestors and our own head simple
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by IMPARTIAL: 11:06pm On Apr 30, 2022
Indomie children will not understand what you mean. You should have explained better.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by OgunkeelAllMod: 11:07pm On Apr 30, 2022
osazsky:
not people...when someones dad is no more...befo jobre drinking alcohol u poor some to the ground..its a tradition..we grew up with it and met it that way so let us leave it dat way..if u still have a dad pls dont except u want him gone quickly...talking as an edo man
I no fit pour 10naira pure' water on the ground for my late 'dem Papa'!he no put anything on the ground for me,so he can go to the hottest part of hell with all my pleasure undecided..na so
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by oneMalik: 11:18pm On Apr 30, 2022
You just concluded that someone's believe doesn't mean anything right ? just like that huh?

Now , what's the meaning of that thing you believe ?

oluwaseunamos33:
It's just their believe but doesn't mean anything
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by leofab(f): 11:20pm On Apr 30, 2022
Our tithe to the ancestors
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by HitSong: 11:33pm On Apr 30, 2022
In order to to cleanse the floor of all the HARLOTRY of imbecilicsamuel 's mother grin
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by rapala(m): 11:37pm On Apr 30, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

I don't and none of my family members do that. I can't even remember anyone i know ever doing that.

Except you mean pagans who do it as a sign of respect to the demons they worship in the guise of their ancestors.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by dododawa1: 11:57pm On Apr 30, 2022
LOL
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Thomasankara(m): 11:58pm On Apr 30, 2022
cultist gesture
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Nobody: 12:01am On May 01, 2022
It is common to most African culture and traditions. In Youruba culture,it is in an appeasement to the gods,Ile-ogere afokoyeri (ground). The belief is that ground that consumes those before us will consume us too. And it's not done with just drinks.r It is done with food and kolanut.

It is an homage to the the ancestors.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Sheriman(m): 12:05am On May 01, 2022
Na ojuina ogogoro drinking be that one oooo. Don't tell me say if you are in a banquet with likes of Dangote Otedola Zuckerberg Elon musk Presidents of nations you go dey pour one stupid drink for ground before you drink it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by hrhobi1(m): 12:07am On May 01, 2022
Mrkumareze:

You are nothing but a human to God , you will expire without you even knowing
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by depure(m): 12:10am On May 01, 2022
People pour out drink on the ground for so many reasons.... One of the benefits expecially drink that foams alot, it will help you know if the drink is still good.
Some foam some doesn't I have discovered fake beer like
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Slurity(m): 12:41am On May 01, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

If you are one of them, do you also do it in your office?

Specify the drink please, we the juice and fanta gang don't waste our sweetness.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Slurity(m): 12:43am On May 01, 2022
depure:
People pour out drink on the ground for so many reasons.... One of the benefits expecially drink that foams alot, it will help you know if the drink is still good.
Some foam some doesn't I have discovered fake beer like
Your level of drunkenness is Major General
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Saintkollyjoe: 12:45am On May 01, 2022
You are stupid for this comment!

jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

I don't and none of my family members do that. I can't even remember anyone i know ever doing that.

Except you mean pagans who do it as a sign of respect to the demons they worship in the guise of their ancestors.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Cashio(m): 1:19am On May 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

Demons you say?
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Greatzeus(m): 2:42am On May 01, 2022
As an oblation to the gods and to the earth.
Nas did it in * Gat urself a gun" music video in honour of Notorious BIG and Tupac.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Destiblack(m): 2:43am On May 01, 2022
[quote author=jesusjnr2020 post=112409808]Which people?

I wish those ancestors of your family can give you a heavy knock on your head. How does someone pouring little drink on the ground a sin? You better be wise that even Christ who gave his life for our sake have never judged anyone till judgement day. You that is a saint, mr no sin.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Goldbw122(m): 3:03am On May 01, 2022
I think it is elders, people of old that use to do that ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Malagasy Peoples: A Beautiful Blend Of African And Asian Peoples / I Want To Learn Some Yoruba Basic Words And Phrases / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.