Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? (50039 Views)

Inlaws Force Widow To Drink Corpse Water Of Husband's Nephew In Anambra / Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by oinasteinzz(m): 10:27am On May 01, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

If you are one of them, do you also do it in your office?

This is done to check if the drink is expired!
Without foam=expired
With foam=good
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Abemy(m): 10:47am On May 01, 2022
Pouring your drink on the ground actually make you detect if the drink had been opened before.

Some do it for traditional reasons, some for sacrificial reasons.

The last group does it because they see others doing it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by caye(m): 10:59am On May 01, 2022
jeff1607:

Imagine the missionaries didn’t come to Africa you won’t say this

And this man called Jesusjnr would venerate the ancestors of white people; who they call their founding fathers and heroes.

Talk about low self-esteem.

Whereas the Chinese, Japanese, Indians and Koreans do same, and they are successful.

Ever since you've been binding and losing demons from the 70s when the born again movement took off in Nigeria, how has been our economy and life in general?
Hasn't it been going down year in, year out?
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by HltSong: 11:05am On May 01, 2022
Hit.Song:
In order to to cleanse the floor of all the HARLOTRY of my dirty mother grin

I apologize to everyone for trying to derail this thread.I was seeking for attention.

Visit my thread so I can confess what happened to me.

https://www.nairaland.com/5271729/tagthatrapist-been-raped-before-please#112421091
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by gbengene1234(m): 11:08am On May 01, 2022
I do it to appease the ground. It's part of our African tradition. Not every time though. But I try not to always forget anyway.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by jeff1607(m): 11:45am On May 01, 2022
caye:

And this man called Jesusjnr would venerate the ancestors of white people; who they call their founding fathers and heroes.

Talk about low self-esteem.

Whereas the Chinese, Japanese, Indians and Koreans do same, and they are successful.

Ever since you've been binding and losing demons from the 70s when the born again movement took off in Nigeria, how has been our economy and life in general?
Hasn't it been going down year in, year out?

You’ve said it all
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by McBishop2020: 12:27pm On May 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

I don't and none of my family members do that. I can't even remember anyone i know ever doing that.

Except you mean pagans who do it as a sign of respect to the demons they worship in the guise of their ancestors.

Who is a pagan? Or what do you mean by "pagans"?
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by God1stson(m): 12:49pm On May 01, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

Anyone you see doing that thing is an adherent of African Traditional Religion. The person is simply a pegan worshipper, don't be deceived even if u see the person at the altar preaching Christ.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Mamak1(m): 12:58pm On May 01, 2022
To check the authencity of the drink, if it foam on the ground, that means it's intact but if it didn't foam on the ground it means it's a leakage or not original drink. Though, some people do it to appease the gods or just do it out of ignorant for copy cat sake.

ikorodureporta:
Why??

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by ikorodureporta: 1:06pm On May 01, 2022
Slurity:
Specify the drink please, we the juice and fanta gang don't waste our sweetness.
All. Including water
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by gud4vvvvv: 1:36pm On May 01, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

S
mine is to check whether it's still good. If it's still good,it foams but if not,it doesn't.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 3:10pm On May 01, 2022
IS JUST FETISH BELIEF,VILLAGE PEOPLE THINGS.AFRICANS ARE NOT YET CIVILIZED THEY JUST WEARING TROUSERS FOR NOTHIN. angry
WHY NOT POUR OUT BOTTLE WATER BEFORE DRINKING
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by InvertedHammer: 3:17pm On May 01, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

/
It is the same as asking why people pray to unseen gods. Some things are incomprehensible to the simple minded.

/
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Kaybaba5(m): 3:21pm On May 01, 2022
illicit:
It's a toast to the ancestors or someone u have lost

It's called libation

Humm

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by NonnyDot(m): 3:21pm On May 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

I don't and none of my family members do that. I can't even remember anyone i know ever doing that.

Except you mean pagans who do it as a sign of respect to the demons they worship in the guise of their ancestors.
Na your papa dey worship demons
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:47pm On May 01, 2022
jacoik:
don't ever insult our ancestors. Can you do that to your Abraham and your Isaac?

olodo... Abraham/Isaac ko, Harry Potter ni!
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by iamL(f): 4:07pm On May 01, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

Is the opposite of "cheers (clinking glasses by the whites)."

Both are for the demons most people don't realize it.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Aaay: 5:29pm On May 01, 2022
Waste
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by slystyle203(m): 5:44pm On May 01, 2022
Am a typical igbo traditionalist, pouring little quantity of drink away before drinking is a mark of respect for the people that walked before us

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by j3r3myk3n(m): 6:29pm On May 01, 2022
grin THE GOD'S RN.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by kelvine(m): 7:07pm On May 01, 2022
Statements of this sort has made many kids join bad gang

Mrkumareze:
There are questions children don't ask, so be calm. When you become an adult, your elders can put you through.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by EMMYNENTLY: 7:17pm On May 01, 2022
I use to pour water on the ground too and I don't know why. � grin
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by kabillionaire(m): 7:52pm On May 01, 2022
You nailed it gbaamm!
Western education, or can I say religion make some people think they are now oyinbo.
Mrkumareze:
There are questions children don't ask, so be calm. When you become an adult, your elders can put you through.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by BadEnglish(m): 7:54pm On May 01, 2022
Lol I just did. While reading this
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Testimony1988(m): 8:44pm On May 01, 2022
It should be for the gods according to them.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by ikorodureporta: 10:18pm On May 01, 2022
gud4vvvvv:
mine is to check whether it's still good. If it's still good,it foams but if not,it doesn't.

Have you ever rejected the bad one that doesn't foam
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by kernniejay(m): 8:31am On May 02, 2022
jeff1607:

A whole lot

To better understand spirituality and the concept of only general concept all religions agree on (which is love) only then will you understand.

You can’t hurt someone and expect the same not to be done to you coming under the guise of God’s love once you sin an opening has been left for any to harm you.

Life has value so do not take it when you can’t create one.

There’s only one supreme God which all religion accept but where the problem or disagreement comes from is who is his son or follower each religion claims theirs came from the only One God

Love is all that is the most important and giving including helping.

Plus I’m more more connected to my roots, I know my pedigree even to the 7th generation( I know the qualities, behavioral patterns my own offsprings should carry (look at the Oba and his offsprings you will understand and the ones before him), if you are into breeding you should know how to turn this to your advantage. Last but not the least, knowledge about herbs that are beneficial and how they work, it’s not Bragging but no one especially a woman can be barren in my lineage as long as she is healthy (the highest a woman can go childless is 2yrs as long as she is healthy and has a womb) but for a man I do not know.

The foremost pharmacists have ties to the Catholic Church and many priests still do till this day.

I appreciate your maturity. However, I want you to note that Christianinty or other "foreign" beliefs does not stop you from knowing your roots or making use of herbs. If the local or traditional religions are potent enough, they could have stopped the colonialists from invading the land, making slavery of the indegenes and carrying their idols to Europe as african monuments and imposing the foreign religions on africans. All these wouldn't have happened. Also note that technology can perform all the curative treatments you highlighted and can even pre determine gender of an unborn child. All these are additional benefits from the foreign lands apart from stopping the inhumane practices of worshipping the traditional gods.
Let me just stop here. Good morning to you.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by jeff1607(m): 1:47pm On May 02, 2022
kernniejay:

I appreciate your maturity. However, I want you to note that Christianinty or other "foreign" beliefs does not stop you from knowing your roots or making use of herbs. If the local or traditional religions are potent enough, they could have stopped the colonialists from invading the land, making slavery of the indegenes and carrying their idols to Europe as african monuments and imposing the foreign religions on africans. All these wouldn't have happened. Also note that technology can perform all the curative treatments you highlighted and can even pre determine gender of an unborn child. All these are additional benefits from the foreign lands apart from stopping the inhumane practices of worshipping the traditional gods.
Let me just stop here. Good morning to you.

Not everyone has the capacity or financial strength for resolving health or reproductive issues ,

Not all traditionalist perform in humane stuff even some so called Christians/Muslims perform same.

The thing is anything Africa produces the west deem it as bad. The cure for malaria is an example, we produce weed here but they say cigarettes are better.

During the time of COVID all was exposed and yet they went back to what they believed in, during the COVID pandemic the people residing in rural and the suburbs recorded less or no death at all.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:55pm On May 02, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

Gods curse on jesus iranu jesus is the biggest demon.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by kernniejay(m): 4:22pm On May 03, 2022
jeff1607:

Not everyone has the capacity or financial strength for resolving health or reproductive issues ,

Not all traditionalist perform in humane stuff even some so called Christians/Muslims perform same.

The thing is anything Africa produces the west deem it as bad. The cure for malaria is an example, we produce weed here but they say cigarettes are better.

During the time of COVID all was exposed and yet they went back to what they believed in, during the COVID pandemic the people residing in rural and the suburbs recorded less or no death at all.
Your points are well noted. Appreciated.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by gud4vvvvv: 12:01pm On May 04, 2022
ikorodureporta:

Have you ever rejected the bad one that doesn't foam
there's a day I tested it and it doesn't foam and it was changed for me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) / Micheal Ameh Oboni Dies! The Attah Of Igala Is Dead / Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.