Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,351 members, 7,819,253 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? (50036 Views)

Inlaws Force Widow To Drink Corpse Water Of Husband's Nephew In Anambra / Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / Why Do People Pour Alcoholic Drink On The Floor Before Drinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Elidrisy20: 3:45am On May 01, 2022
Is for the devil to drink
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by WowSweetGuy(m): 4:00am On May 01, 2022
grin my softwork
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by 18wheeler: 4:04am On May 01, 2022
Tak Fuu
That's what I know it in my dialect.
Mwoes is culture in Kwagalak and Tak fuu happens anytime family or peers meet and share a drink or two.
We appease our ancestors. No p there.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by suffering: 4:12am On May 01, 2022
Na Nairalanders. Very fetish people.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 4:26am On May 01, 2022
It's called libation done by those who believe they have great ancestors in the afterlife who need to have their own share of the drink. My people also give the ancestors their own cola nut before every one alive takes their own. As a kid, when my grandpa did that, i would pick up the cola nut later and eat it. Didn't know what he was doing then Sha
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by illicit(m): 4:31am On May 01, 2022
davidtemi:
is it to someone u have lost that also drinks, or just any of d dead?

It could be

It's a male thing tho

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by okorogodwin4(m): 5:03am On May 01, 2022
The gods are wise
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by onunwa21(m): 5:12am On May 01, 2022
A sure connection to the ancestors!!
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Wilsoneze6: 5:26am On May 01, 2022
It depends on the motive behind the action. Some people does it to test whether the drink is still active or good for consumption.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Lightorder: 5:27am On May 01, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
for the "gods" of drunken stupor, to stay away.
that is even the beginning of getting drunk. Virtually all the drunk I know do that
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Osanoghodua1: 5:41am On May 01, 2022
It's usually people whose fathers are dead, they feed their Father first, it's same with food. I have contended with them since my teenage days been a Christian. So their ancestors now eat from the ground? Deception.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by SmartODINO: 5:54am On May 01, 2022
Personally, I do it to RINSE THE GLASS CUP if I'm drinking with a cup. Otherwise, no pouring on ground if I'm drinking from the bottle direct.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Benwallt(m): 6:28am On May 01, 2022
It is an act perculiar to Edo State. They even spill their water b4 drinking.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by BafanaBafana: 6:28am On May 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

I don't and none of my family members do that. I can't even remember anyone i know ever doing that.

Except you mean pagans who do it as a sign of respect to the demons they worship in the guise of their ancestors.
Even the Jews pour libations and slaughter animals and even sacrifice humans to their god Yaweh.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Lvgirl: 6:30am On May 01, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

If you are one of them, do you also do it in your office?

It's called libation. It's an act of worship to the gods, mother Earth , ancestors
In some deep cases it's mixed with red oil if Iyami is to be venerated as well
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by blingxx(m): 6:43am On May 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

I don't and none of my family members do that. I can't even remember anyone i know ever doing that.

Except you mean pagans who do it as a sign of respect to the demons they worship in the guise of their ancestors.

It's sad how we take religion seriously more than the pple that bought it to us ... Obviously your ignorance won't be pass down to next generation
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by JustforMen: 7:12am On May 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

A Christian that drinks alcohol is not better than a pagan!
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Johel(m): 7:17am On May 01, 2022
ikorodureporta:
Why??

If you are one of them, do you also do it in your office?

No meaning...it's a thing for drunkards
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Iblex1997: 7:22am On May 01, 2022
D alcohol ancestors are demanding for little out of ur drinks. But if u refused to do so,u will end up pouring all d drinks away
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Iblex1997: 7:26am On May 01, 2022
I'm even thinking upcoming kids will also split Brest milk before sucking grin
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by cobby14(m): 7:31am On May 01, 2022
For the gods
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by TomiSwag(m): 7:37am On May 01, 2022
illicit:
It's a toast to the ancestors or someone u have lost

It's called libation

���
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by afamaustin(m): 7:42am On May 01, 2022
To Clean the classes

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Valkrie: 7:43am On May 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

But the white ancestors you worship are saint bah...!!? Clap for ya sef.....another confused Black man...!!!
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Loch0605: 7:43am On May 01, 2022
Someone told me way back it’s the gods share of the drink. So that the drink won’t do you bad (get you drunk)
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by HITsquad: 7:47am On May 01, 2022
It's a sign of respect to our forefathers and "aja ana" the land of our forefathers... it's just a culture and nothing spiritual.

I do that alot... and it's beautiful.

people condemning this act are morons... Africa is doomed smh...

dude That's just our African version of "let's make a toast!!!"

The same way westerners clash their cups together before drinking...
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by MrBroke(m): 7:50am On May 01, 2022
Programmed mindset of people but logically shit be zilch
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by jacoik(m): 8:01am On May 01, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
for the "gods" of drunken stupor, to stay away.
don't ever insult our ancestors. Can you do that to your Abraham and your Isaac?
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by jacoik(m): 8:02am On May 01, 2022
Mrkumareze:
There are questions children don't ask, so be calm. When you become an adult, your elders can put you through.
very apt reply. One bottle of schnapp for you
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by Uchennatimothy(m): 8:24am On May 01, 2022
To observe if it will foam
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by CoolAmbience(m): 8:28am On May 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which people?

It think that it is plain ignorance to say that pagans worship demons.

Do you even know the meaning of the word demon?

Demon means 'a source or agent of' 'a bad / evil spirit / angel'.

Many people who have been brainwashed in religion believe that they do not have demons. Do religious people drink or womanize or cheat or steal? Do they worship demons because they do these things?

For nearly every human, there is a demon...that somewhat overpowering influence to do and keep doing a wrong. It may be excessive drinking, womanizing, stealing, cheating, lying etc.

If pouring some drinks on the ground for some people means paying respect to their ancestors, I do not see anything wrong with that. That you do not do it, does not make it an evil or demonic.

We have see people carrying cans of water, sand, salt, candles, brooms etc, to 'total strangers' for prayers, and using these items afterwards, with the hope of getting favours from their (G)god(s). Would you call this practice evil? If not, why?

Like I always tell my friends, if a bullet proof vest could protect one from death by gunshot, and is not evil; why is odeshi evil, for doing the same?

I believe in the existence of a Supreme being. I believe in God. But for religion, it is a big NO. What good has it done other than divide and pit people against themselves? People should be able to believe what they want within the prescients humanity and laws. At the end of it all, there is only one Creator, which means we all came from one place.
Re: Why Do People Pour A Little Out Of Their Drink On The Ground Before Drinking? by jeff1607(m): 8:42am On May 01, 2022
kernniejay:

what good has the traditional religions done to you?

A whole lot

To better understand spirituality and the concept of only general concept all religions agree on (which is love) only then will you understand.

You can’t hurt someone and expect the same not to be done to you coming under the guise of God’s love once you sin an opening has been left for any to harm you.

Life has value so do not take it when you can’t create one.

There’s only one supreme God which all religion accept but where the problem or disagreement comes from is who is his son or follower each religion claims theirs came from the only One God

Love is all that is the most important and giving including helping.

Plus I’m more more connected to my roots, I know my pedigree even to the 7th generation( I know the qualities, behavioral patterns my own offsprings should carry (look at the Oba and his offsprings you will understand and the ones before him), if you are into breeding you should know how to turn this to your advantage. Last but not the least, knowledge about herbs that are beneficial and how they work, it’s not Bragging but no one especially a woman can be barren in my lineage as long as she is healthy (the highest a woman can go childless is 2yrs as long as she is healthy and has a womb) but for a man I do not know.

The foremost pharmacists have ties to the Catholic Church and many priests still do till this day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

End Of An Era: The Last Generation Of Nigeria's Facial Scars (Pictures) / Micheal Ameh Oboni Dies! The Attah Of Igala Is Dead / Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.