Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,417 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

My 2022 Farm Diary - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My 2022 Farm Diary (16509 Views)

My Yam Farm Diary. / My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. / Wet Season Maize Farm Diary Of An Agric Undergraduate Final Year Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by RavagedHeart: 9:56pm On Jul 01, 2023
Maryam1234:

You can make a good living if you will go into large scale commercial farming.

You're packing your bags nibo shocked
No make me laugh piss for body grin

Honestly living in this my Hamlet is economical no worries at all but relying solely on manual farming is not advisable.

If you're going into mechanize farming you're welcome 🤗 after the season you can switch to Irrigation like it's common in Zamfara and Up North before you know it you go dey invite Dangote To Dinner grin

I plan on starting with baby steps like two acre with hired labour. Was thinking it can at least sustain someone while I expand to bigger and mechanized farms as profits accumulate. But from your tone it seems not achievable undecided

Are you the one doing the manual work by yourself?
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 10:19pm On Jul 01, 2023
RavagedHeart:

I plan on starting with baby steps like two acre with hired labour. Was thinking it can at least sustain someone while I expand to bigger and mechanized farms as profits accumulate. But from your tone it seems not achievable undecided

Are you the one doing the manual work by yourself?

You can't begin farming with hired labor on some small acres and had profit maximization motives.At the end of the day the expenditure might become more than the Income (Output)

We do some manual works by ourselves but when we had other business to attend to we as well give it out for some token.

The Joy is we don't stress for Labourers more like he's readily available daily at our beck and call.

Our first adventure into farming was entirely done by ourselves on a subsistence basis, we're expanding and hence,the need for more hand's.

We haven't gone into mechanization though but we're optimistic and hoping for more expansion.

Of course Farming can sustain you depending on your choice of crops and the variables are that you farm the whole season (Irrigation) plus exploiting other farming opportunity like Animal farm and Fruit Vegetable farming.

Even if you want to settle for farming this year, not this period because you can't effectively maximize the land anymore except you're an Intentional being.You may not really understand the last sentences as an amateur but a seasoned farmer will know the effect of farming late on a lease land.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by RavagedHeart: 10:38pm On Jul 01, 2023
Maryam1234:

You can't begin farming with hired labor on some small acres and had profit maximization motives.At the end of the day the expenditure might become more than the Income (Output)

We do some manual works by ourselves but when we had other business to attend to we as well give it out for some token.

The Joy is we don't stress for Labourers more like he's readily available daily at our beck and call.

Our first adventure into farming was entirely done by ourselves on a subsistence basis, we're expanding and hence,the need for more hand's.

We haven't gone into mechanization though but we're optimistic and hoping for more expansion.

Of course Farming can sustain you depending on your choice of crops and the variables are that you farm the whole season (Irrigation) plus exploiting other farming opportunity like Animal farm and Fruit Vegetable farming.

Even if you want to settle for farming this year, not this period because you can't effectively maximize the land anymore except you're an Intentional being.You may not really understand the last sentences as an amateur but a seasoned farmer will know the effect of farming late on a lease land.

I'm not happy again cry cry
Let me put it like this. From your experience as a famer. Planting maize, groundnut and some veggies like pepper and the likes on two acre of land with 85% hired labour. Will the net profit per session be anywhere around 500k, or at least enough to pay rent and utilities will I learn and expand?
Pls answer from your real life experience. cool
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 9:14am On Jul 02, 2023
RavagedHeart:

I'm not happy again cry cry
Let me put it like this. From your experience as a famer. Planting maize, groundnut and some veggies like pepper and the likes on two acre of land with 85% hired labour. Will the net profit per session be anywhere around 500k, or at least enough to pay rent and utilities will I learn and expand?
Pls answer from your real life experience. cool

Please don't go near that 85% hired labor,why 85%?
Well I'm a learner too but hopefully one day a seasoned farmer will come across this thread and profer solution to all your rhetorical questions.

Have a blessed weekend ahead kiss
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 11:39pm On Jul 02, 2023
2-07-23

Dear Diary,

Weeds are sprouting on our groundnut farm once again cry

We did manual weeding today but will continue tomorrow morning

We discovered the seeds Are coming outside of the root, we're fetching soil to cover it up.
This will inadvertently lead to more seeds during harvest kiss

Diary,

I'm glad everyday seeing what's becoming of my farm across different locations.

Good night diary,
Much Love
Keju kiss

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Sterlingsolutns: 3:10pm On Jul 11, 2023
@maryam 1234

I like your planting techniques

Is it double rows or triple rows per ridge planting techniques that was deployed?

Thanks

Maryam1234:
2-07-23

Dear Diary,

Weeds are sprouting on our groundnut farm once again cry

We did manual weeding today but will continue tomorrow morning

We discovered the seeds Are coming outside of the root, we're fetching soil to cover it up.
This will inadvertently lead to more seeds during harvest kiss

Diary,

I'm glad everyday seeing what's becoming of my farm across different locations.

Good night diary,
Much Love
Keju kiss
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:51pm On Jul 11, 2023
Sterlingsolutns:

@maryam 1234

I like your planting techniques

Is it double rows or triple rows per ridge planting techniques that was deployed?

Thanks

Awwn Thanks So much kiss

For Corn it's single row while groundnut is double rows.

We're going to cultivate beans as double rows as well.

Additionally,
I did Mono-cropping for corn on the farm

Mixed cropping for groundnut+corn on the garden and home farm grin

Don't get the last sentence twisted please wink
Gracias
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:55pm On Jul 11, 2023
Home Farm

Mixed cropping
Na me and goat dey battle for here daily

Hearders Kuma sun Saba da ni grin

I dey give hearder gbas gbos except make I no dey for house.

See what has become of my poor corn because of goat wahala cry

Poor moi.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 9:03pm On Jul 11, 2023
Dear Diary,

11-07-23

My experimented beans is doing fine but I observe it's now bigger for harvest and since it's still raining it can't dry on the pod cry

Of what use is beans if it can't be harvested dry?

Well I'm still looking and learning grin

Goodnight diary,
Much love
Keju.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 9:00pm On Jul 15, 2023
15-07-2023

Dear Diary,

I harvest and cooked the first corn from my farm today and I'm so elated.

Yes, it's the beginning of more harvest to come.

I already got buyers for my fresh corn because I ain't gonna store much maize this year like I did last year.

I cultivated my soyabean today I pray I'm not too late though; because everywhere is grooving waken soya on the farms at the moment grin

Good night diary,
Much Love
Keju.

5 Likes

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 11:08pm On Jul 22, 2023
Dear Diary,

22-07-23

My corn is finally ready for harvest.I can't contain the Joy.
I will be selling it this week to online customer's and some market women that roast corn will be coming to the farm to buy.

The plan is more Expansion Insha Allah in years to come until we finally get to our zenith.

Less I forget, this farm has been registered with the CAC.

This mark the beginning of a new era for my farm and business in general.

Good night diary,
Much Love
Keju.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Motherlove: 5:01pm On Jul 23, 2023
Maryam1234:
Dear Diary,

22-07-23

My corn is finally ready for harvest.I can't contain the Joy.
I will be selling it this week to online customer's and some market women that roast corn will be coming to the farm to buy.

The plan is more Expansion Insha Allah in years to come until we finally get to our zenith.

Less I forget, this farm has been registered with the CAC.

This mark the beginning of a new era for my farm and business in general.

Good night diary,
Much Love
Keju.

Greetings
You apply any fertilizer?
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Kehfie(f): 7:37pm On Jul 23, 2023
Congratulations OP
Maryam1234:
15-07-2023

Dear Diary,

I harvest and cooked the first corn from my farm today and I'm so elated.

Yes, it's the beginning of more harvest to come.

I already got buyers for my fresh corn because I ain't gonna store much maize this year like I did last year.

I cultivated my soyabean today I pray I'm not too late though; because everywhere is grooving waken soya on the farms at the moment grin

Good night diary,
Much Love
Keju.

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:20pm On Jul 24, 2023
Motherlove:

Greetings
You apply any fertilizer?

Yes ma'am but at the last stage for using sake.

I didn't apply last year and the yield were superb grin
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:22pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kehfie:
Congratulations OP

Thanks mama kiss

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:29pm On Jul 24, 2023
24-07-23

I finally harvest a fraction of my corn to the market today.

So like this now I'm now a farmer making money from farm produce grin

Incredibly amazing, thinking of going into hydroponics farming already grin

What a hectic but rewarding day it was for me and my cribs.

Masha Allah

Good night diary
Much Love
Keju.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Motherlove: 7:39am On Jul 25, 2023
Maryam1234:
24-07-23

I finally harvest a fraction of my corn to the market today.

So like this now I'm now a farmer making money from farm produce grin

Incredibly amazing, thinking of going into hydroponics farming already grin

What a hectic but rewarding day it was for me and my cribs.

Masha Allah

Good night diary
Much Love
Keju.

MashaALLAH

rewards indeed not an easy task to though.
Eku ise ooo

2 Likes

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 11:34pm On Jul 26, 2023
Motherlove:

MashaALLAH

rewards indeed not an easy task to though.
Eku ise ooo

Jazakillahu-Khairul Sis cry

O s'eun Iya mi grin
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 10:18pm On Aug 07, 2023
Dear Diary,

7-08-23

I harvested all my corn today,the remnants after the one we sell off last month.
They're all dried from the cob already.

It was a tiring but rewarding job, there's this joy that comes after harvest.

Hmmm!
Diary, there was a woman that wanted playing fast and furious with my corn o,shuu,she was on my farm yesterday and harvested some corn FOC.

She came back today trying to harvest in the same mode not knowing hubby was around,I was in the salon with my daughter making our hair.
Immediately hubby said wetin happen,she froze.
Woman: Sorry sir,na my husband say make we go harvest our corn,him travel go Lagos.

Hubby:Who be your husband?
Woman:Na Ade
Hubby:The same Ade wey want collect land for my hand
Woman: Muttering,him say make we harvest because the corn go don dry.

The farm was actually next to ours,the said man encroached on our plot after we've sprayed the grass for cultivation.
His claim was,na our company get am.

Imagine,fast forward to a month later,a new government was inaugurated in Niger State and The Governor stop the activities of Asphalt,the quarrying company mining the twin Rock grin

I was happy because for once we became free from Bomb blast and it's shaky Wave, children were always frightened immediately a bomb blast.
Mr Ade is currently in Lagos maybe looking for a job and Madam Ade mistook our corn for theirs, what a twist.

The moment hubby called me that one woman harvested our corn yesterday and she's here today,the Kogi Spirit in me just woke up grin

Mogbe moya!

When I enter farm I first match go meet her first, Madam abeg the corn wey you pluck yesterday I want know the quantity,e full bag Abi na half make we pluck am back from una own because your husband do people iskanchi for here before o.

Na so beg Start, the rest is history.
Son of man.
We became friends afterwards and exchange phone numbers grin

Ijeuwa.
Good night diary
With so much love from,
Keju kiss

4 Likes

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 9:01pm On Aug 10, 2023
Dear Diary,

10-8-23
Diary,
I'm in severe pain at the moment because of absence of sunlight cry
I need sun to dry my corn and cash out this season.

Since the history of man Corn never sell like this before and sun nor come gree shine.
Na who we offend Diary?

We need Sunlight!!!!!!!!

Good night diary
With so much Love From,
Keju.

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by willybaby(m): 6:17am On Aug 13, 2023
Maryam1234:
Dear Diary,

10-8-23
Diary,

Since the history of man Corn never sell like this before and sun nor come gree shine.
Na who we offend Diary?

We need Sunlight!!!!!!!!

Good night diary
With so much Love From,
Keju.
Dear Lord give us Rain, our hot sun can be given to @maryam1234, our fertilisers are undissolved, rice fields looking thirsty, and our planted seeds needs to sprout. Fulfill our wishes Amin.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by dragon2(m): 12:55pm On Aug 14, 2023
willybaby:
Dear Lord give us Rain, our hot sun can be given to @maryam1234, our fertilisers are undissolved, rice fields looking thirsty, and our planted seeds needs to sprout. Fulfill our wishes Amin.
One man's food......another man's poison.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by dragon2(m): 12:56pm On Aug 14, 2023
Maryam1234:
Dear Diary,

10-8-23
Diary,

Na who we offend Diary?

We need Sunlight!!!!!!!!

Good night diary
With so much Love From,
Keju.

How much are you selling the fresh corn in your area?
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:13pm On Aug 14, 2023
willybaby:

I join you in prayer, this weather oti su mi o.
Could you believe I was thinking it's all over Nigeria,abeg where the sun dey make I come drag am because the matter seriously serious o cry

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:15pm On Aug 14, 2023
dragon2:

One man's food......another man's poison.
shocked
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:16pm On Aug 14, 2023
dragon2:

How much are you selling the fresh corn in your area?

They were sold for 6 cobs 200 naira.

If say this one dry now I for don sell am but rain no gree.

As I'm typing they're still working on the corn I go kukuma use fan dry am small small grin

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 4:12pm On Aug 15, 2023
Thanks so much for your prayers answered @willybaby God bless me with sunlight today and I'm so elated.

I said let me come and appreciate you specifically because The He that's in You is Great o grin

2 Likes

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2023
Dear Diary,

15-8-2023

I harvested my groundnut last week Saturday (11-8-23)
I sold the leaves for 15k to one of my customer turned friendship in Abuja.
I took the main groundnut to the market guess how much they're pricing it diary grin
Them want buy full bag of groundnut for 8k they'll now sell it for 15k cry

I told myself God forbid Bad thing, immediately I carry phone come call one of my customer turned friendship from Onitsha grin
Without mincing words she said Maryam abeg send the groundnut come,my people want buy 1200 per bucket.Hausa go say dama dama lipsrsealed

I sent it to her at 25k per bag, she'll sell and send me my money.

Diary! Did I hear you say;you send bags of groundnut to person wey you no know?

This life ehn, our lives work with the theory of attraction.I am attracted to only people of like minds,mere phone conversation already showed me the personae I'm relating with grin

My mode of business thrive well with referral and no matter how busy I may be,I know who refers who In my clique wink

Furthermore diary,
How you take reason this my groundnut matter? Make I gain from selling leave to animal come loose from selling the main groundnut.Olorun Maje o,Impossicant something right?

Lesson:

* Farmers are not the ones directly gaining from their sweat but middle men are; and that's the reason why the farming sector is losing its glory.

* Farmers are not motivated anymore, imagine a farmer hoarding their goods to create artificial scarcity cryReason why things are overly expensive even during harvest as epitomize in modern era.

*After calculating money for farm input and output can't commensurate,you become demoralized.More like an effort in futility.

Regardless of this setbacks aforementioned,we keep on thriving and praying it gets better someday in earnest maybe with good leadership and a more dynamic approach towards the Agricultural sector.I foresee An Agrarian Revolution even though I'm just a mere mortal.

Good bye diary,
With so much Love,
Keju cry

3 Likes

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by willybaby(m): 7:56pm On Aug 15, 2023
Maryam1234:
Thanks so much for your prayers answered @willybaby God bless me with sunlight today and I'm so elated.

I said let me come and appreciate you specifically because The He that's in You is Great o grin
lol Amin o. We thank God.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by dragon2(m): 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2023
Maryam1234:

They were sold for 6 cobs 200 naira.

If say this one dry now I for don sell am but rain no gree.

As I'm typing they're still working on the corn I go kukuma use fan dry am small small grin

6 for #200! shocked Na sell abi dash?!
Aug 2021 I was selling 8 for 200 farmgate ( Delta State). I no farm this year but .....this one tire me.Anyway, size matters.
To chop roasted corn in Onitsha today if you don't have #150-#200 na to just commot. grin
Dry corn is the way to go for you jare. More success to you!
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 9:44pm On Aug 19, 2023
dragon2:

6 for #200! shocked Na sell abi dash?!
Aug 2021 I was selling 8 for 200 farmgate ( Delta State). I no farm this year but .....this one tire me.Anyway, size matters.
To chop roasted corn in Onitsha today if you don't have #150-#200 na to just commot. grin
Dry corn is the way to go for you jare. More success to you!

The corn was very matured cryit's environmental factors.

What I learnt:
I am not going to sell any farm produce at home anymore.If I had sent it to Onitsha like I did for groundnut I would have cash out.

Well I still have a reconciliation corn on the farm grin

I will shine my eyes after harvesting this last batch most especially because it's gonna be a late harvest when fresh corn might have gone into extinction in most of the States wink

Thanks for sharing in my pain Sir dragon2:

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 6:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
22-8-2023
Dear Diary,
We cultivated a fraction of our farm today (bean's)

A very little fraction from the plot we harvested groundnut, we're proceeding by weekend.

The intention is to have enough beans cultivated this Year.

It feels good not to buy beans year round you know wink

Diary,
The way I love eating beans and it's derivatives,the only way out is to be self-reliant that's all.

And I pray for rain today and it rained because it's essential for the bean's we planted today to sprout grin

Okay you say and I was praying for sun the other day right grin

Oya ! Oya! Oya! I don run ABI you no know say I be Dan-Adama again grin

Good bye diary,
With So Much Love
Keju.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Having A Drop In Egg Production / Vaccine And Drugs Time Table For Chicken Layers / Unpasteurized Fresh Cow Milk Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.