Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,158 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

My 2022 Farm Diary - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My 2022 Farm Diary (16607 Views)

My Yam Farm Diary. / My Sweetpotato/Ugu Vegetable Farm Diary As A Newbie. / Wet Season Maize Farm Diary Of An Agric Undergraduate Final Year Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 1:59am On Jan 16, 2023
Awolowo86:
Good work there, please I need the beans chaff, how can i get them from you? I am in Abuja.
It's been gifted already Sir, this year God's willing I will quote you.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by XAUBulls: 7:09pm On Feb 25, 2023
Maryam1234:
Hello Famz, I'm Maryam simply put,i ventured into farming last year together with my lovely husband ( not a nairalander)And guess what! The output was MASSIVE.This year hubby says bae, I'm not farming this year, I want to rest,I said what, rest kwa?
Me that haven't bought beans, maize or yam getting to a year for ( domestic use)Kolewerk;I encouraged him to contract it at any point strength fails and Alhamdulilah we acquired more hectares with just 5k,yes you hear me right.Leasing or renting of land for agricultural purpose is cheap here.This year we will be cultivating: Maize, Okra, Ground Nut, Beans at interval.My Yam is currently sprouting on my Mini Garden at home. I don't buy spinach,Ewedu,Ugwu, Bitter Leaf, Saint Leave,Curry leaves during raining season because,I have them at my backyard.

So Enjoy!! And ask questions where necessary.
A very impressive pictorial thread @Maryam.

Do you guys have experiences with snake bites there at the Suleja, Zuma rock leased farm lands surroundings? You have to wear rubber boots and gloves always for added protection against snake bites and have snake anti-venom injections at the nearest medical facility. Discovery Channel over the years has taught me to be very careful with snakes because they are very good swimmers in rivers, lakes, and also good tree climbers.

Are your originally from Niger State or just a resident there?

Last but not least, have you ever encountered loses from the delivery of your agro commodities to your clients nationwide due to attacks by highway bandits?

All the best.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by XAUBulls: 7:11pm On Feb 25, 2023
Maryam1234:
Viewers discretion:My farm borders Zuma Rock, please if you have any natural phobia for Rocks or Stone stay off the thread for your sanity please.Below is my Yam and Okra sprouting,at different locations.I will be planting Maize Next week, InshaAllah.
Impressive.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by pheonixdld2(m): 8:58am On Mar 02, 2023
Wow! I just stumbled on this thread and it was interesting and educative and I am sure most of us here look forward to the update of this diary this year also. I would like to join you and get farming space at that spot and be your mentee(mentor me).
Please I will also need the been chaffs, leaves groundnut leaves from this year harvest for my goats.
How do I contact you ma for this year farming plans?
Remain blessed.

2 Likes

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 6:32am On Mar 10, 2023
pheonixdld2:
Wow! I just stumbled on this thread and it was interesting and educative and I am sure most of us here look forward to the update of this diary this year also. I would like to join you and get farming space at that spot and be your mentee(mentor me).
Please I will also need the been chaffs, leaves groundnut leaves from this year harvest for my goats.
How do I contact you ma for this year farming plans?
Remain blessed.
Thanks for your kind remarks sir, please if you're really interested this is the right time to Lease.You can reach me out 07068255790, hoping to see you soon.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 7:12pm On Apr 08, 2023
My 2023 Farm Diary!!! kiss
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 7:22pm On Apr 08, 2023
Dear Diary,
We've been apart for five good months,so incredible.
The raining season is here again, we've renewed our rent,no too much land preparations since cover crop ended the last season.
Alas, this time around we've identify our errors, discovered where we had the greatest output and trying to maximize our most fertile Area.
Our Crop In focus are:
Okra,corn, sweet potatoes,yam, soyabean and beans. mulching has been initiated for the Yam already.
Stay tuned lovelies, this year promises to be even more interesting as usual.
Kêju.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Hadsty23(m): 9:51pm On Apr 08, 2023
Best out of this season... May the Lord protects you while you out there on farm

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by fobell06: 10:47pm On Apr 08, 2023
[quote author=Hadsty23 post=122386673]Best out of this season... May the Lord protects you while you out there on farm [Amen/quote]
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 10:47pm On Apr 08, 2023
Hadsty23:
Best out of this season... May the Lord protects you while you out there on farm
Amen, thanks specially Sir.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by dotunibrahim7(m): 9:12am On Apr 09, 2023
When and how do you mulch your yam? How do you plant your sweet potato vine?
Maryam1234:
Dear Diary,
We've been apart for five good months,so incredible.
The raining season is here again, we've renewed our rent,no too much land preparations since cover crop ended the last season.
Alas, this time around we've identify our errors, discovered where we had the greatest output and trying to maximize our most fertile Area.
Our Crop In focus are:
Okra,corn, sweet potatoes,yam, soyabean and beans. mulching has been initiated for the Yam already.
Stay tuned lovelies, this year promises to be even more interesting as usual.
Kêju.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 1:20pm On Apr 09, 2023
dotunibrahim7:
When and how do you mulch your yam? How do you plant your sweet potato vine?
We mulched early last month, mulching is common in Niger and some parts of Kaduna South that I have been to.Potatoe vines are like weeds in my location,we just cut and plant that's all,as I am typing there's Vines everywhere around my premises both Purple and OFSP;I don't know how come but it has been the case with potatoes since we moved here 2020.I give vines to animal farmers on my platform regularly as much as it's required for their Livestocks during surplus because I feel it's better utilize rather than trashed.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by dotunibrahim7(m): 4:22pm On Apr 09, 2023
Maryam1234:

We mulched early last month, mulching is common in Niger and some parts of Kaduna South that I have been to.Potatoe vines are like weeds in my location,we just cut and plant that's all,as I am typing there's Vines everywhere around my premises both Purple and OFSP;I don't know how come but it has been the case with potatoes since we moved here 2020.I give vines to animal farmers on my platform regularly as much as it's required for their Livestocks during surplus because I feel it's better utilize rather than trashed.
okay thanks.
Do you have plans to venture Into livestock farming?
How is poultry farming like over there?
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 5:32pm On Apr 09, 2023
[sup][/sup]
dotunibrahim7:
okay thanks.
Do you have plans to venture Into livestock farming?
How is poultry farming like over there?
No plans at all,my husband doesn't like the smell of animal dung but if I want to be squeaky I can easily contract it with people that will do it for me.I am actually heading towards goat not poultry because of its prospect,5 goats can yield thousands as time goes on under adequate supervision.I am glad to have you here this season, you're treasured.Check the mulched yam below,the vine and Okra; mostly residue from previous season from my garden.My farm is about 15 minutes walk from home very far,I will share pictures thus.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 5:39pm On Apr 09, 2023
Picture
1 Mulched Yam
2 Potatoes
3 Okra
4 Curry leaves
These Crops aside Yam naturally sprouts over here like dispers weed's, scattered accross locations within and around my vicinity.

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 5:41pm On Apr 09, 2023

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by dotunibrahim7(m): 5:54pm On Apr 09, 2023
Maryam1234:
Picture
1 Mulched Yam
2 Potatoes
3 Okra
4 Curry leaves
These Crops aside Yam naturally sprouts over here like dispers weed's, scattered accross locations within and around my vicinity.
Nice. Do you have a pic of your harvested yam?, I want to see how big it is.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:32pm On Apr 09, 2023
dotunibrahim7:
Nice. Do you have a pic of your harvested yam?, I want to see how big it is.
We've eaten everything,we didn't do yam much.What I have surplus and can never buy is Beans,Corn and groundnut from the previous harvest.I can only plant yam at home,the farm is specially preserved for something meaningful like corn and beans.
While the soil at home is Clayed kinda the farm is loamy and doesn't require fertilizer to boost yield.What we're eating is purely organic no artificial chemicals whatsoever.

2 Likes

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Johnboom: 10:38pm On Apr 09, 2023
Maryam1234:
Dear Diary,
We have harvested all the beans, next step is pounding or beating to seperate the chaff from the good beans.Did I mentioned we've started cooking the beans already? Oh yes! No time to check time.
It was a tiring experience,we contracted some women to help hasten the harvest as herder's have started scavenging for foliage with immediate effect, imagine a Fulani boy waiting with his cattles for you to finish before entering your farm, it's damn serious.
This one even speaks Hausa ( An'gama?Have you finished? As if na their rights to enter the farm cryOmo by force harvesting started, we left the farm very late immediately our neighbors came because those Fulani nor want go.Our neighbor has to employ one of the Fulani boy to help him cut his Sorghum;the man was scared like he had a bitter experience with them before.
The soil covering the Bambara nut is so strong that it's making the digging process difficult,we regretted not digging up during the raining season but no wahala,we will be digging it for fun intermittently as we progress.
To all my readers,
Thanks for the motivation to keep on updating
Much Love kiss
I am reading from Ekiti State ma. I love your spirit keep it up. There are plants you can plant at the edge of your farm that no Fulani man will enter with his cow. I am also a farmer. I rear goat. You may check Johnboom here for my write up. One love.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by dotunibrahim7(m): 11:46pm On Apr 09, 2023
Maryam1234:

We've eaten everything,we didn't do yam much.What I have surplus and can never buy is Beans,Corn and groundnut from the previous harvest.I can only plant yam at home,the farm is specially preserved for something meaningful like corn and beans.
While the soil at home is Clayed kinda the farm is loamy and doesn't require fertilizer to boost yield.What we're eating is purely organic no artificial chemicals whatsoever.
okay. Thanks for the enlightment

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 7:38am On Apr 10, 2023
Johnboom:
I am reading from Ekiti State ma. I love your spirit keep it up. There are plants you can plant at the edge of your farm that no Fulani man will enter with his cow. I am also a farmer. I rear goat. You may check Johnboom here for my write up. One love.
Wow!!
I'm checking it out Asap, thanks for this timely information Sir.Planting such kinda crop at the edges will go a long way after all; no pain no Gain.Wá Sheré Sir,
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:19pm On Apr 18, 2023
Dear Diary,
18-04-2023
Raining season has officially began starting from this date no lie rainfall moving forward.
May God prosper our yield this season.
I will be planting okra any moment from tomorrow.
Good night Diary,
Kêju.
Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 5:33am On Apr 25, 2023
Dear Diary,
24-4-2023
Cultivation of Okra, Green Peas and garden eggs was done.Raining season has started proper we aren't talking about cultivating maize yet reason being that 'early matured crop is food for all' you don't request before eating people's farm produce on the spot in my location yes I'm guilty as well kiss
Cultivation of maize will take place early May.

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 5:41am On Apr 25, 2023
Green Pea and Garden eggs seedlings below.
My maize is genetically modified this year.It was gifted to me by my husband's younger brother who's a globally recognized crop scientist it was the best gift I have gotten from this dude since I got married to them 5 years ago.
Farming is bae it's a true reflection of the supernatural characteristics of God.You put one seed and get surplus in return.
Amazing!!!
Kêju

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:46am On Apr 30, 2023
30-4-2023
All the Crops planted on the previous page has germinated.
We're currently planting maize on the largest portion of our farmland adjacent Zuma Rock.

Why not first week of May as speculated?

We decided to plant today because 70 percent of neighbouring farmers have cultivated.There is hunger in the land.
Stay tuned to my diary as we progress together.
Kêju

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2023
I was told this beans grows 2 Times in a year
I bought it in Kubacha(Kaduna State) I'm experimenting.
I never knew there's a species of beans that survive early rainfall inorder to quench my curiosity I bought just a tin cup.
Check the outcome below
It's beans.

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 11:10pm On May 13, 2023
13-5-2023

Dear Diary,

My Groundnut has sprouted as well as ugu leaf and my Ugu bed from previous season Has fall off no thanks to the whirlwind orchestrated by heavy downpour.
Which of the favors of thy Lord will I deny?

Check out our progress below 👇

1 Like

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 11:12pm On May 13, 2023
My Okra but it's not plenty to chop yet grin

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 11:14pm On May 13, 2023
How the soil breaks for groundnut to germinate (Dycoteyledon)

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 11:16pm On May 13, 2023
My Ugu mind you I don't normally buy ugu except I want to be lazy that's if I nor want dice am by myself I buy already made grin

Re: My 2022 Farm Diary by Maryam1234(f): 11:21pm On May 13, 2023
My Maize the way I'm gonna chop maize this year (aggressively)

I have spent a fortune on cooked and roasted maize since last month to the extent I even have a customer I frequently patronize in the market.Even if I nor see her this mummy must call my attention yazama dole I chop agbado daily grin

This is a fraction of my maize from my garden the main corn dey for farm adjacent Zuma Rock kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

N200 Billion Agriculture Loans - Farmers Say Banks Are Not Lending / Poultry Business In Nigeria: How Reliable & Profitable Is It? / Pix And Price List For Mobile Tarpaulin Fish Tank In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.