Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,500 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister (16348 Views)

ASUU members, How Do You Cope Without Salary? / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba / We Are Considering Reopening Schools After Interstate Travel Ban- Emeka Nwajiuba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by bluefilm: 10:58am On May 03, 2022
Kyase:
Aswear.
When they are ready for their salaries, they will resume

ASUU will be feeling like another tier of government

Rubbish people

Non academic student spotted.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by starz100: 11:00am On May 03, 2022
ASUU is inconsiderate. They want to strike till elections and campaigns when they will use it against APC. Is it only ASUU that is on government payroll. Last time it was eight full months students were at home. Now, we don't know how long. This kind of thing cannot happen outside this country, where education is treated with so much levity and a lot don't care. The children of the rich are daily seeking admission abroad, while the poor suffer.
ASUU should do a rethink of its stance and resume negotiatons with the FG. Because if government decides to withhold their salary, it will not be funny anymore.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Temptee101(m): 11:03am On May 03, 2022
blackpanda:

ASUU has been telling this story since 1999. Every single administration they must strike. It has almost turned to extortion. Well they made a mistake because buhari isn't contesting. By the time FGN cuts off salaries they drama will end

See this one, the drama just started.

You know nothing.

FG has been insincere to not just ASUU but to all Nigerians.

No policy of govt benefits the common man on the streets.

FG keep negotiating and reaching agreement with ASUU when deep down they know they aren't ready to honour any of the agreements.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by bluefilm: 11:11am On May 03, 2022
Fapemz:

Oga the govt is using your head. No ASUU member has received any salary since the beginning of this strike. You can trust me on this, govt had an agreement and they have refused to fulfill it over and over again. I just learnt the truth myself via some of the Twitter spaces i attended just recently. Govt resort to use cheap blackmail and hunger to force the hand of ASUU. Pls do your independent research on this too. Cheers!

Well, ASUU members are still enjoying the Earnec Allowance they got from FG last year, so they no even send weda FG dey pay dem salary on not since they went on strike.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by jmaine: 11:13am On May 03, 2022
blackpanda:

Well it also increases govt resolve to cut off their salary. No work no pay!

Na today.... Strike continues.... Hunger no dey kill ASUU members...
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by PJ123: 11:23am On May 03, 2022
[quote author=Praxis758 post=112470462]And this so called minister could afford a hundred million naira for presidential primary form.

I think it’s time we should start owing the elective and appointed politicians theirs salaries and emoluments so that they too will feel the pains.

This guyman minister is promising to be a failure if elected as a president.[/quote
What's the correlation between that and not he said.
I actually don't see any sense in leaving your work for many months and still be paid for those months.
It encourages strikes any how.
If anyone wants to earn what politicians are earning, go and contest!!!
However, the current political class and ASUU are all thieves.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by blackpanda: 11:30am On May 03, 2022
Temptee101:

You know nothing.

FG keep negotiating and reaching agreement with ASUU when deep down they know they aren't ready to honour any of the agreements.

So if what u are saying is true, why did ASUU keep resuming all these years
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by jmaine: 11:42am On May 03, 2022
bluefilm:

Well, ASUU members are still enjoying the Earnec Allowance they got from FG last year, so they no even weda FG dey pay salary on not since they went on strike.

Earned academic allowance since December 2021.....? undecided
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by bro4u: 11:42am On May 03, 2022
Vulcanheph:
This is the same person that wants to contest for presidency, yet has no empathy for ASUU's problems.

Has anyone asked him how he got the funds to buy the 100 million naira form ... Since he's not a politician (we know that all politicians stole theirs.)
How he got the funds is none of your business, he has been in govt for a while so he can afford it... Face the office issue as it is

A principal officer in your country is the kind of person who you think can't afford a small money when converted to $$??
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by irunoko(m): 11:51am On May 03, 2022
dontrulee:

It's not as easy as you say Sir.
When one gets into power and governance, one tends to loose touch of the realities of the people who voted them into power. They make promises they cannot fulfill, give the people false hope because hope is the opium of the people. If you can give a person hope, you can control that person whether the person likes it or not and that's what these politicians are banking on. I as a person don't live on hope and that's why I can never be disappointed because I have no expectations... grin grin
they loose touch of the reality of the electorate? Yet when it's time for election,them go dey show pictures where them dey price boli,sit with people in IDP camps,go to schools of poor children,help the woman frying ankara on the streets and take pictures with the downtrodden yet you say they loose touch with the realities of the average Nigerian.if they loose touch with the realities of the Nigerian,how then do they know how to find their way to corn sellers house or markets and garages to take pictures with the victims of their misgovernance? After them win elections why them no still go mingle with the poor and take pictures with them or hug them? Why do they create a barricade against them?
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by irunoko(m): 12:00pm On May 03, 2022
amp01:

Face reality.
How much is the monthly take home of a senator?
How much is the monthly take home of a minister?

if governance or democracy is for all how come the minimum wage is N30,000 but nomination form is 100 million naira yet they say every eligible Nigerian is free to contest.where eligible nigerian wan see 100 million if he no thief, kidnap,or engage in something criminal? Na the graduate wey still dey find job go gather 100 million naira or the graduate wey dey collect 50k as take home salary? You too think am? And of which the money is just to indicate interest o.money for campaign never enter,money for transportation and payment of campaign team never enter plus other logistics.you open gate make prisoner go but you still dey hold him leg.which average nigerian that is not a criminal get 100 million? Let them just say they want to keep recycling themselves in power undecided
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Stanleyq: 12:03pm On May 03, 2022
adenigga:
The Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, has said it doesn’t make sense for members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities to continue to earn salaries while on strike.

The PUNCH reports that ASUU began one month warning strike on February 14, 2022 and since then has not suspended its industrial action.

Speaking to The PUNCH in a telephone interview on Sunday, Nwajiuba said, “The lecturers have continued to earn salaries while on strike; it doesn’t make sense to earn salaries when you have refused to work.

“If you refuse to even pay them, by the time they call off the strike, they will still come back to fight for the payment of the period they refused to work.

“You can air your grievances, come to the negotiation table without refusing to work. The issue of the strike has become a thing of concern. I have four children; two have graduated while the other two are still in public universities. I feel for them, I feel for other students who are at home. I feel the same way other parents feel, but can I bring money from my house and give it to ASUU?

“The Ministry of Education isn’t the employer of the lecturers, we are a supervisory body, and there is no way we can fire or hire someone. Universities have governing councils that supervise the activities that go on, our job as in the ministry is to supervise, we can’t meddle in.

“On the issue of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, I am also paid via the IPPIS, it is owned by the government, there is no way you can tell the government to throw away its platform and pay you with another platform.”

Meanwhile, the President of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, Mohammed Ibrahim, has accused the Federal Government of focusing on frivolous things and neglecting the education sector and the youths.

Speaking during the 2022 May Day celebration in Abuja on Sunday, Ibrahim said the universities were forced to shut down due to government insincerity, adding that the standard of education had continued to go down.

He stated, “Our universities have been forced to shut down due to the insincerity of the government to keep to its promises. The standard of education continues to go down due to the insensitivity of the government and the inability to provide a good teaching, learning and work environment through lack of basic facilities that will make them compete favourably with their peers in other parts of the world.

“The morale of university workers is dampened by the poor pay package and the government appears to be paying lip service to education. It is very clear that government pays more attention to frivolous things and has neglected youths that are said to be the leaders of tomorrow.’’

The SSANU President lamented the condition of Nigerian workers whom he said were going through perilous times in form of insecurity, economic hardship and other challenges.

He noted, “This year’s Workers Day comes when Nigerian workers are passing through perilous and dangerous times. Nigerian workers and indeed members of our great union are confronted with diverse challenges like rising spate of armed banditry, kidnappings, insurgency, economic hardship and worst of all, the inability of the government to keep to agreements it entered into with all the university-based unions in 2009.

“Our members have been denied payment of new Minimum Wage Consequential Adjustment arrears and backlog of earned allowances in addition to other violations of our rights and privileges. Our universities have been forced to shut down due to the insincerity of the government to keep to its promises.”

He admonished the government to resolve the ongoing strike by university workers and also tackle the challenges facing the country.

“Toying with the future of our children will spell doom for our dear country. I call on the government to look into the demands of all the university-based unions and take urgent steps to address them so that our children will go back to school,’’ the union urged.

Source: https://punchng.com/Striking-ASUU-members-shouldnt-be-paid-Education-minister
why did they go for strike at de first place.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by renheart(m): 12:05pm On May 03, 2022
I have gone through all comments and come to a conclusion that student are more selfish than the ASUU members. These guys are people's father. They are people's uncles. All they need is for their agreement with the government to be implemented. The so called politicians have #100,000,000:00 to buy interest form for presidential ticket yet the lecturals and professors don't even have enough for their family. How on earth will you expect me to teach you when my home is not settled? These government is wicked and should be treated with all forms of understanding. Am not a lecturer please. Am an engineer. I rest my case. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by freddie009(m): 12:22pm On May 03, 2022
ERockson:
I don't like ASUU in anyway, they fight only for their interest and nothing more. They should stop paying their selfish arshhh

If you understand life, you will know everybody is selfish by default. If you don't look out for yourself first baba nah you loose guard.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by ERockson: 12:35pm On May 03, 2022
freddie009:

If you understand life, you will know everybody is selfish by default. If you don't look out for yourself first baba nah you loose guard.
How could ASUU claim to be fighting for quality education without considering Primary and Secondary Education.what can they archive without teachers. A professor is collecting around or over 500k per month while the Headmaster or Head teachers receive less than 70k per month. Most of these Lecturers are just making noise and adding Very little to the Educational development
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by BOYS2MEN: 12:38pm On May 03, 2022
Labour minister deny say en no concern am, education minister too don deny,say en work na to supervise issokaay....osinbajo dey beg and buhari dey form I don care for the same country...,IT SHALL NEVER BE WEL WITH YOUR FAMILIES AND WHAT YOU HOLD DEAR TO UR HEARTS....Amin!!!!
Meanwhile barka da Ramadan NDI MGBU SI NORTH
adenigga:
The Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, has said it doesn’t make sense for members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities to continue to earn salaries while on strike.

The PUNCH reports that ASUU began one month warning strike on February 14, 2022 and since then has not suspended its industrial action.

Speaking to The PUNCH in a telephone interview on Sunday, Nwajiuba said, “The lecturers have continued to earn salaries while on strike; it doesn’t make sense to earn salaries when you have refused to work.

“If you refuse to even pay them, by the time they call off the strike, they will still come back to fight for the payment of the period they refused to work.

“You can air your grievances, come to the negotiation table without refusing to work. The issue of the strike has become a thing of concern. I have four children; two have graduated while the other two are still in public universities. I feel for them, I feel for other students who are at home. I feel the same way other parents feel, but can I bring money from my house and give it to ASUU?

“The Ministry of Education isn’t the employer of the lecturers, we are a supervisory body, and there is no way we can fire or hire someone. Universities have governing councils that supervise the activities that go on, our job as in the ministry is to supervise, we can’t meddle in.

“On the issue of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, I am also paid via the IPPIS, it is owned by the government, there is no way you can tell the government to throw away its platform and pay you with another platform.”

Meanwhile, the President of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, Mohammed Ibrahim, has accused the Federal Government of focusing on frivolous things and neglecting the education sector and the youths.

Speaking during the 2022 May Day celebration in Abuja on Sunday, Ibrahim said the universities were forced to shut down due to government insincerity, adding that the standard of education had continued to go down.

He stated, “Our universities have been forced to shut down due to the insincerity of the government to keep to its promises. The standard of education continues to go down due to the insensitivity of the government and the inability to provide a good teaching, learning and work environment through lack of basic facilities that will make them compete favourably with their peers in other parts of the world.

“The morale of university workers is dampened by the poor pay package and the government appears to be paying lip service to education. It is very clear that government pays more attention to frivolous things and has neglected youths that are said to be the leaders of tomorrow.’’

The SSANU President lamented the condition of Nigerian workers whom he said were going through perilous times in form of insecurity, economic hardship and other challenges.

He noted, “This year’s Workers Day comes when Nigerian workers are passing through perilous and dangerous times. Nigerian workers and indeed members of our great union are confronted with diverse challenges like rising spate of armed banditry, kidnappings, insurgency, economic hardship and worst of all, the inability of the government to keep to agreements it entered into with all the university-based unions in 2009.

“Our members have been denied payment of new Minimum Wage Consequential Adjustment arrears and backlog of earned allowances in addition to other violations of our rights and privileges. Our universities have been forced to shut down due to the insincerity of the government to keep to its promises.”

He admonished the government to resolve the ongoing strike by university workers and also tackle the challenges facing the country.

“Toying with the future of our children will spell doom for our dear country. I call on the government to look into the demands of all the university-based unions and take urgent steps to address them so that our children will go back to school,’’ the union urged.

Source: https://punchng.com/Striking-ASUU-members-shouldnt-be-paid-Education-minister
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by WhizdomXX(m): 12:43pm On May 03, 2022
Deeprooted:
Fake minister!

You shouldn't be in that position. When NANS visited this man, you won't believe he walked out on then without anyone calling him to order. As a minister of Education, who's your number 1 interest if not the students?

Don't pay the striking lecturers but you, with nothing to show for your ministry should continue to be paid?
No that was his Principal.

1 Like

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by emmavictory: 1:10pm On May 03, 2022
How can he say they shouldn't be paid? Is that the way forward? Point of correction I don't even know if he is aware that for two months now ASUU and NAAT have not been paid. Sir, if you work in the university too you will go on strike because of the wickedness of the so called IPPIS. How can they wake up at any moment and pay any amount they like to university staff generally? Someone earning 114k as at 2019 before IPPIIS came will presently earn 71k without any explanation from anybody and people are supporting them. A whole federal gov't establishment. Abeg federal government should look into the matter, resolve it for them so that poor men pikins go go back to school because everybody can't afford to be in private school and abroad.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by dontrulee: 1:12pm On May 03, 2022
irunoko:
they loose touch of the reality of the electorate? Yet when it's time for election,them go dey show pictures where them dey price boli,sit with people in IDP camps,go to schools of poor children,help the woman frying ankara on the streets and take pictures with the downtrodden yet you say they loose touch with the realities of the average Nigerian.if they loose touch with the realities of the Nigerian,how then do they know how to find their way to corn sellers house or markets and garages to take pictures with the victims of their misgovernance? After them win elections why them no still go mingle with the poor and take pictures with them or hug them? Why do they create a barricade against them?

You've answered the question yourself, Sir.
It's because of Power.

1 Like

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by emmavictory: 1:14pm On May 03, 2022
renheart:
I have gone through all comments and come to a conclusion that student are more selfish than the ASUU members. These guys are people's father. They are people's uncles. All they need is for their agreement with the government to be implemented. The so called politicians have #100,000,000:00 to buy interest form for presidential ticket yet the lecturals and professors don't even have enough for their family. How on earth will you expect me to teach you when my home is not settled? These government is wicked and should be treated with all forms of understanding. Am not a lecturer please. Am an engineer. I rest my case. Thanks
Thank you very much for understanding it. I am not a lecturer tooneither am I a staff in the university; but if you really know what they are suffering you will cry for them and someone somewhere is claiming nothing is wrong
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by bizhop01: 1:27pm On May 03, 2022
State universities are deceiving them self
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:38pm On May 03, 2022
amp01:

Face reality.
How much is the monthly take home of a senator?
How much is the monthly take home of a minister?

Monthly basic salary of a Nigerian minister is 169k.

Monthly basic salary of a lawmaker is 500-600k

So, if 100 million naira means nothing to a minister whose basic annual salary is 2 million naira, then he is a thief, which is exactly what many of them are.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Temi2468: 1:39pm On May 03, 2022
Kyase:
Aswear.
When they are ready for their salaries, they will resume

ASUU will be feeling like another tier of government

Rubbish people

O ma ṣe o
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Temi2468: 1:41pm On May 03, 2022
Temptee101:

You know nothing.

You don't need to tell them. It's like they are blind and choose to remain blind to what the evil govt is doing to her citizens since 1960.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Temi2468: 1:42pm On May 03, 2022
bcomputer101:
I just understand why Buhari called Nigeria youths, lazy youth.
How come our youths has power to protest during END SARS and you can't use the same strength to protest against your leaders toying with your future.

#I_STAND_WITH_ASUU

Only few reasonable people like you still exist on NL.

1 Like

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Ximenez(m): 2:41pm On May 03, 2022
Maynman:

government has not been paying ASUU their deserve salary maybe that’s why.
What's their deserved Salary?
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Ximenez(m): 2:50pm On May 03, 2022
Fapemz:

You are weak and fighting the wrong battle. Oga the govt is using your head. No ASUU member has received any salary since the beginning of this strike. You can trust me on this, govt had an agreement and they have refused to fulfill it over and over again. I just learnt the truth myself via some of the Twitter spaces i attended just recently. Govt resort to use cheap blackmail and hunger to force the hand of ASUU. Pls do your independent research on this too. Cheers!
I think it's good like that.
The Federal Government is the villain here.
The students lose time,
The Lecturers lose salaries
Sacrifices have to be made to fight a common enemy

1 Like

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Yadid(m): 4:09pm On May 03, 2022
So many people speaking from both sides of their mouth. Shame! One moment they wish NLC has balls like ASUU, another moment ASUU is selfish and yada yada yada.

Call ASUU selfish if what they are fighting for is only about their own salaries and emoluments and not also about funding of the universities and some other things.

What is unclear to many people is that the more FG withdraws from funding the universities, the more the responsibility falls on the common man whose children are in the public universities.

ASUU strike saved me from becoming a university dropout. If they had not kicked against FG's proposal to withdraw from funding universities then, I wonder what would have happened to me and many others.

Call ASUU selfish because their interest is involved, when your employer wants to short-change you, don't kick against it just so you will not be seen as selfish.

Peace!
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by amp01(m): 4:10pm On May 03, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Monthly basic salary of a Nigerian minister is 169k.

Monthly basic salary of a lawmaker is 500-600k

So, if 100 million naira means nothing to a minister whose basic annual salary is 2 million naira, then he is a thief, which is exactly what many of them are.

You said basic.
Add the other benefits,and see what it will be up to.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Aaay: 4:24pm On May 03, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by freddie009(m): 5:22pm On May 03, 2022
ERockson:
How could ASUU claim to be fighting for quality education without considering Primary and Secondary Education.what can they archive without teachers. A professor is collecting around or over 500k per month while the Headmaster or Head teachers receive less than 70k per month. Most of these Lecturers are just making noise and adding Very little to the Educational development

We know the story brother, basic salary for a prof approx. 350 the salary is small looking at the years of service and commitment then compared to that of graduate-entry in NNPC whose salary is approx 300k. That 70k salary is for private schools.

Las las everybody looking at for themselves, you are not left out. Your concern now is to graduate ASAP, what they are being paid isn't your business. Life is complicated bro.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Kingbuoro: 6:13pm On May 03, 2022
For real if you don't know what the issues between ASUU and FG it better you just read comment and learn. stop posting rubbish on nairaland because you like to comment �

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Federal Poly Ede Hnd (full Time) & Nd (part-time) Form Is Out / NANS Begins Facility Tour Of Universities, Urges ASUU To Suspend Strike / We Failed, Yet Again - A Write Up By A Concerned OAU Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.