Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,513 members, 7,812,598 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla - Car Talk (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla (79363 Views)

The Meanings And Origin Of Toyota Model Names / The Evolution Of Toyota Corolla From The Year 1966 To Present (photos) / The Evolution Of Toyota Camry From The Year 1983 To Present (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by chukel(m): 3:09pm On May 08, 2022
Itsrm:

There's no big deal in the price of a 2003 corolla at carsforsale.com. The main problem is our exchange rate. Convert those prices at 160 to a dollar and tell us how much they are

The bulk of the problem lies with the government.
of course you will never learn. It's just to argue. Corolla used to be $1200 like 2 yrs ago. Please check how much it is now.
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Alusiizizi(m): 3:11pm On May 08, 2022
At #3 million is it not better to import it? The car is over-valued in Nigeria but in the US it's difficult to find 2003 Toyota corolla for more than $1,500 and they can easily be found for less than $1000. Even with the customs duty and shipping charges included, the landing cost is still well below #3 million.
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by fujirice: 3:12pm On May 08, 2022
ogwuche4u:
I own a Peugeot 307 and I tell for a fact that corrola doesn't come close to it. In terms of fuel economy, availability of spare parts, the 307 is top much. Nigerians are just wired to Corolla because of how they abuse vehicle. Every car is good. Maintenance is key to enjoying a car. I even laugh more when people compare Toyota to Peugeot 406. Have you asked yourself why they use 406 as pilot 1 for long distance journey? Enough of this Corolla madness.
My brother, no need to jealous brand wey God don already bless.
How many people are involved in pilot 1 long distance driving every day?
We are talking about ordinary people making everyday commute. I am not saying that Corolla is better than Peugeot but there’s a reason people go for Corolla.
Yes, your 307 doesn’t give you issues but can you compare the amount you spend on servicing the car to someone’s who use a Corolla and say you are better off?
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by bilulu(m): 3:13pm On May 08, 2022
uncleck:
A friend gave me the task of getting a Tokumbo Corolla for him and I have been on it for few weeks now. In this assignment I've come to realize that Corolla is now more expensive than the following vehicles:

Toyota Camry
Toyota Highlander
Acura MDX
Nissan Pathfinder
Honda Accord
Etc

It's just crazy!!! How can I pay over 3 million naira for a 2003 Corolla? How? I've told him I won't continue in the quest unless he makes another choice.

But why are people so in love with Corolla? I know that the car is strong and reliable, but it's definitely not the only strong and reliable car out there. When we were still in school, whether you scored 70% or 100%, it is "A". So if Toyota Corolla is good at 100%, there are still others that are good at 90%; both are good.

In place of Corolla, we still have Honda Civic, Mazda3, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, Nissan Sentra, Camry, accord etc. They may not be as good as Corolla, but they are definitely not too bad. My opinion
Nissan sentra 2010 is strong and reliable, I ve personal experience with it
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Djswad(m): 3:16pm On May 08, 2022
doggedfighter:

I tell you.

What is the use of cheap spare parts and low

fuel consumption when I can't sleep with my two eyes closed. grin
Thank you ohhhh ,Am currently enjoyingy Volkswagen golf 4 2.0 liter engine with little or no maintenance whaaaalaaaa , I just don't know why we are Toyota crazy in these part of the world even the handling of the golf supersedes that of Corolla
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Mcslize: 3:18pm On May 08, 2022
uncleck:

M190 reigned amidst P504, V-boot, that other Mercedes, P505, that Volvo that is like palm tree etc. So the madness wasn't as that of Corolla. As for RX300, Camry 2.2 took it's shine.

What's your take on Lexus ES350? Is it a good car?
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Itsrm(m): 3:19pm On May 08, 2022
Alusiizizi:
At #3 million is it not better to import it? The car is over-valued in Nigeria but in the US it's difficult to find 2003 Toyota corolla for more than $1,500 and they can easily be found for less than $1000. Even with the customs duty and shipping charges included, the landing cost is still well below #3 million.

You don't know what you're talking about
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by bilulu(m): 3:19pm On May 08, 2022
Trustme2:

Have you asked what the price range of these cars cost at auction, what the exchange rate of the naira to dollar, how about the constant increase in towing and ocean freight, how about customs duties that's crazy, how about repairs when it lands in Nigeria and other exigencies, how about profit. These are the factors that makes these cars really expensive not peculiar to TOYOTA CARS alone. Mind you, our naira is useless $ to Naira is N600 and sometimes it's really difficult to get. So what can a dealer do? I tell you at that N3m no dealer can make 200k on a 2005-2007 Corolla except the car is already a junk
Now that it's on FP let me break this down
Auction price+ Auction Charges= $3000
Average Towing fee depending on location= $600
Ocean freight= $1,250
Clearing = N550k
Repairs and other exigencies = 100k
Total $ cost = $4,850 × 600 = 2,910,000
Clearing = 550,000
Repairs/ contingencies = 100,000
Profit = 150,000
Total = 3,710,000
Now the culprit here is the "Naira"
This submission is just a picture of the verge cost of getting a good car that's without so much accident. Corolla at auction are quite expensive

why would you buy a 2005 Corolla for 3000? how will you sell it? I won't buy if it's more than 1500 or 1700 max....

Why should I make 150k as profit? how much is will be if I'll have to convert it to Canadian dollars? probably $360....
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by bilulu(m): 3:21pm On May 08, 2022
dadabashua1:
better comment,you just said it...a very anyhow country.
used Corolla is over priced everywhere even here in Canada, you will hardly see any for $2000.... convert that to naira..
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Lekan239(m): 3:22pm On May 08, 2022
Trustme2:

Have you asked what the price range of these cars cost at auction, what the exchange rate of the naira to dollar, how about the constant increase in towing and ocean freight, how about customs duties that's crazy, how about repairs when it lands in Nigeria and other exigencies, how about profit. These are the factors that makes these cars really expensive not peculiar to TOYOTA CARS alone. Mind you, our naira is useless $ to Naira is N600 and sometimes it's really difficult to get. So what can a dealer do? I tell you at that N3m no dealer can make 200k on a 2005-2007 Corolla except the car is already a junk
Now that it's on FP let me break this down
Auction price+ Auction Charges= $3000
Average Towing fee depending on location= $600
Ocean freight= $1,250
Clearing = N550k
Repairs and other exigencies = 100k
Total $ cost = $4,850 × 600 = 2,910,000
Clearing = 550,000
Repairs/ contingencies = 100,000
Profit = 150,000
Total = 3,710,000
Now the culprit here is the "Naira"
This submission is just a picture of the verge cost of getting a good car that's without so much accident. Corolla at auction are quite expensive

why should a dealer be making 200k or over with just one sale. Greediness
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Itsrm(m): 3:22pm On May 08, 2022
chukel:
of course you will never learn. It's just to argue. Corolla used to be $1200 like 2 yrs ago. Please check how much it is now.

Corolla was never 1200 at any point at those sites you mentioned. If it was, none of you dealers would have bought at auction with all the headache that comes with them.

You are not talking to a noob
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by aikyg(m): 3:24pm On May 08, 2022
Itsrm:

What does this nonsense have to do with my post?

Get someone to post for you on nairaland. You're not making any sense

Just teaching you what you don't know.
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by GENES11S: 3:24pm On May 08, 2022
zuraking:
baba, I be wise man. Do u know I removed the big engine of 2009 Accord and replaced it with Honda Civic engine? cheesy I was advised to do so by an inlaw who has used Honda all his life. So if I tell u my car consumes less fuel than Corolla just believe me. Don't forget I said earlier that I own both cars before selling the Corolla

Sure, if it's a Civic engine, the fuel economy is better than Corolla. Those Civic are also very reliable. That engine is well made.

But the problem is those early Civic has recalls due to few problems. The major one was the wheel issues. That's why people run to Corolla.

Using a Civic engine in a 2009 Accord; I don't know much about the 2009 Accord but if it doesn't have the wheel issue then I will say you have a super car.

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by dadabashua1(m): 3:24pm On May 08, 2022
bilulu:

used Corolla is over priced everywhere even here in Canada, you will hardly see any for $2000.... convert that to naira..

bros Nigeria is hard to defend,even though I know we have greedy dealers and poor naira value, honestly the government policies are also responsible for that, no matter how you view it,it is VERY unreasonable to be buying 2003 corolla 3M+ haba let's be honest na.no matter the so called scarcity
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Itsrm(m): 3:24pm On May 08, 2022
Lekan239:

Do you know how long they have to tie their money down to make that 200k? Do you know the risk involved?

Go and buy your own na, let's see how much gain you'll want to make

4 Likes

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by batb: 3:28pm On May 08, 2022
uncleck:

It's not the only car with readily available parts. The over demand is why it has resale value.
Na illiteracy cause am! Most corolla owner was told that corolla is best thing that happen before agege bread, and they believe it like a zombie to exclusion of equally other good cars like Honda civic etc!
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by odaniel1(m): 3:33pm On May 08, 2022
A colleague bought his Belgium used for about N1.8m total charges in 2018. Today, he haggles with people between 2.5 to 3.5 m for the fun of it. grin He once jokingly said he won't let the car go till it sells for N5m. I am afraid I am starting to believe a statement as dumb as that. sad

2 Likes

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by guychidile: 3:34pm On May 08, 2022
Hmmmmmm
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Signum(f): 3:48pm On May 08, 2022
OBALOLA55:
MATRIX

Aside Toyota
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Ginomel(m): 3:48pm On May 08, 2022
simple250:
Same way Nigerians turn mini bus aka korope to a highly demanding vehicle, price of mini bus is now 1.3 to 1.5mi . We call it popular demands

Same with tricycle. When I heard the latest price,I wowed.

How can they sell that thing over 1.1m and the price still rising every day.
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by becky39000(m): 3:50pm On May 08, 2022
uncleck:

M190 reigned amidst P504, V-boot, that other Mercedes, P505, that Volvo that is like palm tree etc. So the madness wasn't as that of Corolla. As for RX300, Camry 2.2 took it's shine.

Which is Camry 2.2? Are u referring to the Camry Pencil light/Envelope?!!
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 3:52pm On May 08, 2022
Mcslize:

What's your take on Lexus ES350? Is it a good car?
Very strong, reliable luxury car. But I hope you're not considering "fuel economy"?
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 3:52pm On May 08, 2022
becky39000:

Which is Camry 2.2? Are u referring to the Camry Pencil light/Envelope?!!
Yes
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by OBALOLA55(m): 3:55pm On May 08, 2022
Signum:

Aside Toyota
CIVIC NI O

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by OBALOLA55(m): 3:56pm On May 08, 2022
uncleck:

Yes
ENVELOPE IS 2002 WHILE PENCIL IS 1999 MODELS RESPECTIVELY
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by dabongys: 3:57pm On May 08, 2022
The Skoda Octavia conserves more fuel than this corolla; and I bet has better durability.

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Trustme2(m): 4:06pm On May 08, 2022
Lekan239:
Oh, you saw 150k there not 200k. So some one should invest over 3.5m for possibly 3-4 months or more and shouldn't make 150k over the investment? Haba, make una dey fear God na

2 Likes

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Trustme2(m): 4:18pm On May 08, 2022
bilulu:

why would you buy a 2005 Corolla for 3000? how will you sell it? I won't buy if it's more than 1500 or 1700 max....

Why should I make 150k as profit? how much is will be if I'll have to convert it to Canadian dollars? probably $360....
$1700 exclusive of charges right? That must be a totally badly accidented car. You can't get a good one at that rate I tell you.
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Trustme2(m): 4:21pm On May 08, 2022
ironheart:
you are not absolutely correct
What is wrong about my submission
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by ibinaboonline: 4:22pm On May 08, 2022
Isn’t this far better? It’s 2011 and very neat, in and out. Less than 2million naira.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAf6Me0rmEk

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by 2sexycom(m): 4:22pm On May 08, 2022
ogwuche4u:

It was because of the failed Nigeria system that made PAN folded up. If not, where Toyota for see road enter naija. 504 and 505 of those days. Even Peugeot pickup so rugged. I swear Peugeot pass Toyota. For body, for fuel, for balance... Omo... I love Peugeot. Ands it's cheap to buy and parts are readily available
Absolutely...
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Uncleodi(m): 4:22pm On May 08, 2022
shortgun:
Corolla is over hyped, dull,unsafe and uninspiring piece of ugly metal that is littered all over our roads.
It's the band wagon mentality of Nigerians that made the car expensive, Nigerians like to copy others without any assurance that what they are copying will favour them.
Same reason every corner of every street is filled with POS operators.
Same reason every parent want their children to be Doctors or lawyers.

Nigerians are mentally lazy to research any product, scheme or brand they want to commit money into....this is why Ponzi people are cashing out big.

The only condition that a Nigerian needs to do a thing is if someone has done it before.

Corolla will continue to be over priced as long as we have brain washed people with no ability to think for themselves.

The annoying part is that the drivers of this abomination of a car now behave like that proverbial butterfly that thinks itself a bird.... imagine a corolla challenging a 3.0l engine vehicle to a race.

Lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

Pictures: Presidency Officials Now Use Innoson Suv's / ******Kakaki presents: Your Daily Car TIPS****** / Full Body Of A Moving Car Being Washed In Lagos Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.