Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,479 members, 7,816,131 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? - Pets (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? (32904 Views)

My First Time Seeing GSD Mixed With Nigerian Local Dogs / Where Can I Get Nigerian Local Dog Puppies In Lagos?[suggestions Needed] / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by jendhorlee(m): 9:28am On May 12, 2022
Joelobioha:
See better 404 grin
No matter the packaging, 404 na still 404 abi grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by CaptainFM1: 9:32am On May 12, 2022
Realist12:
Africans adore anything imported.

Even foreign religions and gods.

I still believe our Amadioha, Ogun, Sango et al are better than all these white man's religion s and gods.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Eagba(m): 9:32am On May 12, 2022
AntiChristian:

You must be a black dog to exhibit such hatred. Are you from the SE too?
is there anything you Muslims like?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by jeruba: 9:33am On May 12, 2022
dochenaj:
How does #1500 translate to $10? Did you copy this post from 10 years ago?
copied post.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by helicoptarr: 9:34am On May 12, 2022
Are they as intelligent and trainable as the exotic or foreign breeds?

If they're I'll love to have one.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by jendhorlee(m): 9:35am On May 12, 2022
forgiveness:

Are the fearless? Can they guard property?
Tbh, they're not as fearless as these German Shepherd and other foreign dogs. Although they're trying. And one of the reasons why they aren't fearless is because they're used to people, they roam around, walk freely and see people on a daily basis. So they are not likely to see anyone as an intruder or a threat.

They're only aggressive at night

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by shantti(m): 9:35am On May 12, 2022
Dshocker:
They are hardly taken to a veterinary doctor,meaning they have rabies and if there were attack of armed robbers on your property,it is still the same dog that will show the robbers where you are hiding.

Ekuke dey chop shit
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Joelobioha(m): 9:36am On May 12, 2022
jendhorlee:

No matter the packaging, 404 na still 404 abi grin grin grin grin grin
I swear..
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by JentuPrinz(m): 9:37am On May 12, 2022
And na dis local dogs dey use for blood sisters grin
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by forgiveness: 9:37am On May 12, 2022
jendhorlee:

Tbh, they're not as fearless as these German Shepherd and other foreign dogs. Although they're trying. And one of the reasons why they aren't fearless is because they're used to people, they roam around, walk freely and see people on a daily basis. So they are not likely to see anyone as an intruder or a threat.

They're only aggressive at night

Alright. Thanks
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:39am On May 12, 2022
jendhorlee:

Here u go
All of u sha no wan believe me grin grin
nope. I do actually cos we had quite a few of them growing up and they were actually even much more bigger than the one you have.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by shantti(m): 9:41am On May 12, 2022
olawonder:
These local dogs answer only one name in SW… bingo!

grin grin grin. I wonder the origin of that name, it's seems like spanish
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by jendhorlee(m): 9:43am On May 12, 2022
INDUSTRIALFAN:
nope. I do actually cos we had quite a few of them growing up and they were actually even much more bigger than the one you have.
Wow
That's what I'm saying, not all of them are skinny like someone described them
They do go quite big too if well taken care of
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by ComeToJesus: 9:46am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:
Why do people hate these cute Nigerian Local dogs?

They are so lovable and they don't get sick.

What is wrong with the Nigerian Local Breed of dog?

A very wealthy man once came with his dog to the clinic for medical attention but before he came, he had called me. I was really expecting a German shepherd dog or a Rottweiler but lo and behold it was our Nigerian local breed of dog. To be candid, I saw disappointed faces among my staff but I tried to be nice to the man by saying nice things about his dog. We still did our examination and clinical procedures and issued the man his bill which he cleared happily.

Out of curiosity, I asked him why he chose a Local dog. He answered: “I guess I have to answer this question for the rest of my life”. He narrated his story about all the dogs he ever acquired and the sad way they all died. He spoke long about a Caucasian breed he once owned that was more of a companion to him & the way he usually goes to evening walks with that dog. The death of that dog made him give up on keeping dogs entirely but on narrating his story to a friend, his friend told him that our local breeds hardly die of all these diseases so he considered getting one.

I thank God that most members of my staff heard the story. After the man left I raised the question: “But what is wrong with our Nigerian local breed?” One of them said that it belittles the man, that a man of his status should own one of the best breeds available. So I asked again that considering his story about his experience with those breeds they preferred, what can they say? The other echoed that the man must have contacted inexperienced vets to treat his dogs. I only wanted to hear from them. I saw from their views, a resentment for the local breed.
The Nigerian local breed has been called all sorts of names such as “Ekuke”, shit eater, stray dog, local dog, “shinee” to mention but a few. These names are derogatory in nature to make the dog look unimportant and undesirable. “Ekuke” as they are popularly called are the dogs preferred as food for the cultures that eat dog meat popularly called “404” (four-ow-four). They are the cheapest dogs to buy in Nigeria. They are sold as little as one thousand five hundred naira (N1,500) about $10 (ten US dollars).

So what is bad about the Nigerian Local breed?

If you ask many Nigerians that resent this breed of dog the reason why they dislike it, they won’t be able to give you concrete reasons. Many of us have seen very intelligent local breeds. Many of them are trained and used for hunting bush meat by locals in which they perform excellently well. In the rural areas these dogs are usually the best for securing the compound or yard against intruders, although they are good at alerting against strangers. I have seen many of these dogs doing spectacular things but I guess like Jesus said: “A prophet is not recognized in his environment…” I have seen foreigners who prefer our own breed to theirs, pointing out the unique features they possess while we, Nigerians buy books to read about the foreign breeds.
I guess we, Nigerians should start to love our local breed of dogs and also acquire and keep them just like the man in the story above.

Let me tell you a fact that Local Nigerian breeds resist many of the diseases other foreign breeds will die readily from here in Nigeria. So think about it.

Here are some of the dog breeds that make up the Ekuke

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

By Kodichukwu Okonkwo, DVM

Una go dey lay ambush for Twitter just to uproot stories and plant here. Originality?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by 9icetoo(m): 9:51am On May 12, 2022
I got one way back in 1999. Got it as a puppy from a litter born by the school dog.

It turned out to be about 50% golden retriever.

Most intelligent dog I ever owned.
1. Eats only what you give it. Won't touch what you didn't give it even if you leave the kitchen open.
2. Loved good life. Watched tv and would always run into the sitting room as soon as the AC was turned on.
3. Got along well with visitors during the day but would bite their hands off at night when we lock the doors.
4. Knew when it was time to start night watch. Leaves the sitting room to commence guard duty as soon as the tv was turned off.
5. Loved kids and would tolerate their manhandling
6. Knew basic commands even though we didn't actually train him to do those
7. Hardly barked except when something out of the ordinary happens eg a stranger driving the family car
8. Was the unofficial bell. Low growls meant someone was at the gate.
9. Loved comfort. Would creep into your bed to sleep if you left him in the room while taking a nap.
10. Was the unofficial doctor too. Would follow you around if you were sick. First clue we always got that someone might be sick. Would stay by the bedside too.
11. Hated water and bath time � but tolerated it. Always bolted out of the area when bath time was mentioned.
12. Would help gather clothes too from the lines if it saw you gathering them. Sometimes a bit too enthusiastically.

All in all a very smart dog.

Sorely missed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by sylve11: 10:00am On May 12, 2022
ABG2222:
They look malnourished and lack confidence. Just one stone and they're gone.

There's a dog in my neighbourhood back then. Bro, you can't throw a stone at that dog and go scot-free.

Nor play with Tupac o. sad cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by BigDawsNet: 10:06am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:

A very wealthy man once came with his dog to the clinic for medical attention but before he came, he had called me. I was really expecting a German shepherd dog or a Rottweiler but lo and behold it was our Nigerian local breed of dog. To be candid, I saw disappointed faces among my staff but I tried to be nice to the man by saying nice things about his dog. We still did our examination and clinical procedures and issued the man his bill which he cleared happily.

Out of curiosity, I asked him why he chose a Local dog. He answered: “I guess I have to answer this question for the rest of my life”. He narrated his story about all the dogs he ever acquired and the sad way they all died. He spoke long about a Caucasian breed he once owned that was more of a companion to him & the way he usually goes to evening walks with that dog. The death of that dog made him give up on keeping dogs entirely but on narrating his story to a friend, his friend told him that our local breeds hardly die of all these diseases so he considered getting one.

I thank God that most members of my staff heard the story. After the man left I raised the question: “But what is wrong with our Nigerian local breed?” One of them said that it belittles the man, that a man of his status should own one of the best breeds available. So I asked again that considering his story about his experience with those breeds they preferred, what can they say? The other echoed that the man must have contacted inexperienced vets to treat his dogs. I only wanted to hear from them. I saw from their views, a resentment for the local breed.
The Nigerian local breed has been called all sorts of names such as “Ekuke”, shit eater, stray dog, local dog, “shinee” to mention but a few. These names are derogatory in nature to make the dog look unimportant and undesirable. “Ekuke” as they are popularly called are the dogs preferred as food for the cultures that eat dog meat popularly called “404” (four-ow-four). They are the cheapest dogs to buy in Nigeria. They are sold as little as one thousand five hundred naira (N1,500) about $10 (ten US dollars).

If you ask many Nigerians that resent this breed of dog the reason why they dislike it, they won’t be able to give you concrete reasons. Many of us have seen very intelligent local breeds. Many of them are trained and used for hunting bush meat by locals in which they perform excellently well. In the rural areas these dogs are usually the best for securing the compound or yard against intruders, although they are good at alerting against strangers. I have seen many of these dogs doing spectacular things but I guess like Jesus said: “A prophet is not recognized in his environment…” I have seen foreigners who prefer our own breed to theirs, pointing out the unique features they possess while we, Nigerians buy books to read about the foreign breeds.
I guess we, Nigerians should start to love our local breed of dogs and also acquire and keep them just like the man in the story above.

Let me tell you a fact that Local Nigerian breeds resist many of the diseases other foreign breeds will die readily from here in Nigeria. So think about it.

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

Back in Nigeria in my household we are Dog people.. we have a German Shepherd but my dad purposely purchased a local clean dog from neighbouring country... we took both of them to vet togther for regular treatment...

The local dog is very strong eh...

When we relocated...he kept searching online vet adoption center that has an African local dog...

It was a long search...so he had to finally had to settle with a Golden retriever...
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by watchindelta(m): 10:07am On May 12, 2022
for the shi,t matter, many dogs still chop shi,t here. i mean they chop dog shi,t cry that means if they see human shi,t they go still wack am too undecided
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by ndukwejoe(m): 10:16am On May 12, 2022
While you were talking i was like buying it until i saw the first picture , i reconsidered my stance na Ekuke him be.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by lexy2014: 10:18am On May 12, 2022
posty56:
because they're are dirty , unkept ,and may be filled with disease,plus they have this local looks that's not attractive at all, German Shepherd all the way

How are they dirty, unkept and filled with disease? What type of disease? What makes u think a German shepherd can't be dirty, unkept and filled with diseases?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by lexy2014: 10:19am On May 12, 2022
Dshocker:
They are hardly taken to a veterinary doctor,meaning they have rabies and if there were attack of armed robbers on your property,it is still the same dog that will show the robbers where you are hiding.

Ekuke dey chop shit

Is it d dog that will take itself to the vet?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by lexy2014: 10:21am On May 12, 2022
Even Brazilian president love ekuke

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Geepee77(m): 10:23am On May 12, 2022
Adakintroy:

You made that up abi?

No I didn't, that's their name
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by BigDawsNet: 10:23am On May 12, 2022
Akalia:
Where can I buy the greyhound breed in Nigeria?

Those fulani hav this breeds for hunting
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Silentgroper(m): 10:31am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:

Your so right 100%
Our; so call Ekuke; can survive multiple diseases;they are hunters ,they live long,if they are not hunted down for food (404).[/b]They are native /indigenous to our region;low maintenance;the merits are enormous.

[b]Thanks
They dont need all these special food foreign breeds eat..
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Godmademan(m): 10:43am On May 12, 2022
jendhorlee:

Meet Zuma cool
Nice, well built like you said. I think the excess furs on those foreign breeds make them look bulkier and more attractive physically. These local breeds do interact with humans really. I'd have both for different reasons. BTW you cropped out the face. Would your dog be recognised facially if you posted?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by RussellRutherfo: 10:46am On May 12, 2022
AntiChristian:

Muhammad was still greater than your dad and his generations though!

Your generations has only been known to spread hatred and bigotry!

Muhammad the pedophile is not even greater than the rats in my waste bin section.

These rats don't snatch their adopted Son's wife after seeing her naked and revealing Quran 33:50 to justify his wickedness.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by RussellRutherfo: 10:46am On May 12, 2022
BigBashiru:

Are u okay??

The question is was Muhammad okay?

A man who at 51 married a 6year old doll playing girl child.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by RussellRutherfo: 10:50am On May 12, 2022
AntiChristian:

Yeah, i only remember how your mum was raped by his boyfriend to birth you and your other siblings!

At least better than your mum that will be raped by you in the Islamic paradise according to Islam.

grin
You and your dad in view of Allah will be having your mum and sisters as part of the 72 wives bounty in hell

grin
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Nobody: 11:04am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

This write up is as old as ekuke
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by whitedove(m): 11:04am On May 12, 2022
AntiChristian:
I don't like dogs generally as a Muslim.
I See! shebi an create am,confused lots.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by bluefilm: 11:09am On May 12, 2022
dochenaj:
How does #1500 translate to $10? Did you copy this post from 10 years ago?

That's one of the dangers of Copy and Paste.

Some idiots will just copy verbatim and paste it like that without even bothering to go through what they are trying to share.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Residents Kill Dog That Killed 50 Goats & Sheep In Kenya (Photos) / Jungle Justice On A Pet Python: Man Inspired By Pretty Mike Acquires N23k Python / Lady Offers N50,000 To Anyone Who Finds Her Dog, Reveals Identity Of Thief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.