Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,893 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? - Pets (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? (32986 Views)

My First Time Seeing GSD Mixed With Nigerian Local Dogs / Where Can I Get Nigerian Local Dog Puppies In Lagos?[suggestions Needed] / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Godmademan(m): 8:21am On May 12, 2022
jendhorlee:
Nice write-up op
To be honest, i don't understand the resentment too. I own a very beautiful local dog, considering how i take care and feed her constantly, people do think she's pregnant considering how big and healthy she is

One of our relatives came to visit us, she couldn't close her mouth when she saw my mom giving the dog bread and Tea grin grin grin
If you see The way she opened her mouth ehn cheesy cheesy
When she eventually spoke, she said "you're giving a Dog bread and Tea"?

I said Yes, we feed her anything we eat in this house also
She just shook her head in pity. Lol

I don't understand why people think they don't deserve to be treated right
Foreign dogs have nothing over our beloved Ekuku cool cool
photo of the dog for cross examination please

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by VPN11(m): 8:23am On May 12, 2022
rayval:

Hahahahahahhah. You have small touch of madness. @ “here are the local breed that make up the Ekuke”
grin
Wike madness shah grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by armyofone(m): 8:25am On May 12, 2022
sheggsliveth:
I have a mixed of germany shepard and our local dog, the germany actually belong to my brother while the local for his pastor....

I really love this dog so much she doesn't get sick and I don't allow her to stray the street..

The rest of the dogs resemble Germany with their black colour except mine...I do feed her with noodles, soya beans and fish...

This dog is very active and can heavy bark, very aggressive at stranger.
here is her pictures Ponyo

How do you deal with dog odor ?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by frowland(m): 8:31am On May 12, 2022
Dshocker:
They are hardly taken to a veterinary doctor,meaning they have rabies and if there were attack of armed robbers on your property,it is still the same dog that will show the robbers where you are hiding.

Ekuke dey chop shit

What da … ?? shocked
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by VPN11(m): 8:31am On May 12, 2022
Luak:
Thanks

You are welcome.
I do appreciate your feed back ;Class

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by sheggsliveth: 8:32am On May 12, 2022
armyofone:

How do you deal with dog odor ?

As you can see I just bath her in that pics... Constantly bathing.
Though they still have their own odor, if I bath her now it won't last for 3 weeks but not a serious odour sha.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by jaxxy(m): 8:32am On May 12, 2022
I love local dogs bt love them more when they are mixbreed of foreign dogs.

Local dogs I hear,live longer than these popular foreign breeds that die off after 4 years.

Ekuke still full ground after 10years grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Airoflaw(m): 8:35am On May 12, 2022
tillaman:
Ekuke
Disease resistant, The hustler mehn you don’t have to worry about feeding it e go sort am alone
E go still born pikin wey you go fit sell
The problem be say e too dey skinny
you no feed ham well ni grin. Dey give ham sardine and milk and see

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by karmaolu1(m): 8:36am On May 12, 2022
because THEY CHOP HUMAN WASTE (SHIT)
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Baselm: 8:37am On May 12, 2022
Dshocker:
They are hardly taken to a veterinary doctor,meaning they have rabies and if there were attack of armed robbers on your property,it is still the same dog that will show the robbers where you are hiding.

Ekuke dey chop shit

This is false. They are very good in defending the property. We used to wake up with our dog having machete wounds on his head after fighting off robbers trying to invade our family house.
That our dog was so big and beautiful, I wish it was female, its offsprings would have been as beautiful and big. This dog died like 13 years ago and everyone still loves the dog.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by ebuka1511(m): 8:38am On May 12, 2022
Reading this piece and some comments here have really waken my consciousness, whether we like it or not, there is this unconscious bias we have developed for anything local or African.

Let us start with our kids, I have seen videos of where black kids were presented a white and black doll to make a choice from and guess what?, almost 98% of the kids in the study went for the white doll. This conditioned way of thinking has made us believe anything associated with the back is wrong/bad. It is so so bad. Even in the Western world, its unfortunate to see even Black Americans racially discriminating against fellow blacks from African origin.

This is the reason many of us believe it is until we Japa, that is when we can make it. We are all guilty of this. We have unconsciously taken it down to animals. I was thinking of getting a pet dog for my daughter, I have made lots of research on dog breeds to choose from, but from this writes up, I am going for a very local breed, yes you get me right, I will get an Ekuke or your ordinary bingo for my daughter.

Let us be reminded that our breed of local dogs still has their original genome sequence intact, reasons they have high adaptability, compared to those foreign breeds that are crosses of crosses of hybride dogs, most are not original, and from the basics in genetics, we know the effects of excess recessive genes when they are cross breed frequently.

The truth is that our weakest link is in our leadership, however, I believe things will only get better, it might not be in our generation, but then I still believe we will get it right. Let us learn to believe in ourselves.

I pray we all Africans wake up from our mental slavery and know how to cherish our own. Remember the saying, "Monkey no fine, but I'm mama like am" .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by sheggsliveth: 8:42am On May 12, 2022
Dshocker:

Ekuke dey chop shit

You have dog you don't feed what else you expect the dog to eat....my dog do have leftover in her plastic, sometimes she do get fed up of her noodles so I have to brake egg on it.

As for the rabiest, I think it's only the infected dogs,when I first adopted my dog I got bitten by her I just took antibiotics and am not infected.its been a year in March.
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by IMPARTIAL: 8:43am On May 12, 2022
TOPCRUISE:
Wrong. Calabar people like Nigerian local Dog.

Correct!!!!
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:52am On May 12, 2022
ABG2222:
They look malnourished and lack confidence. Just one stone and they're gone.

Even if you feed them , they always like skinny
depends on how they are raised and they mostly aren’t. I’ve seen a lot of cowardly Rottweilers and German shepherds. Growing up the tenant we had in the next house had a local breed that was stocky (muscular) and believe me you when I say that dog….. hmmm. God help you if he’s not on his chain.. the only chain he couldn’t break was the kind used to lock gates. Anything less only held him when he’s calm but never when there is a strange face and he tries to attack. He broke that chain steady and never backed down when challenged.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Haakeem(m): 8:52am On May 12, 2022
Baselm:

This is false. They are very good in defending the property. We used to wake up with our dog having machete wounds on his head after fighting off robbers trying to invade our family house.
That our dog was so big and beautiful, I wish it was female, its offsprings would have been as beautiful and big. This dog died like 13 years ago and everyone still loves the dog.
you wished it was a female so that you would sleep with it? Wtf!
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by ANONYMOUS144: 8:53am On May 12, 2022
If we all result to acquiring local dogs because of thier strong gene, veterinary clinics go lose customers ooo, because I know fit use 25k treat local dog wey I buy 1500,where as some one is available to buy it as meal for 7k
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:53am On May 12, 2022
jendhorlee:
Nice write-up op
To be honest, i don't understand the resentment too. I own a very beautiful local dog, considering how i take care and feed her constantly, people do think she's pregnant considering how big and healthy she is

One of our relatives came to visit us, she couldn't close her mouth when she saw my mom giving the dog bread and Tea grin grin grin
If you see The way she opened her mouth ehn cheesy cheesy
When she eventually spoke, she said "you're giving a Dog bread and Tea"?

I said Yes, we feed her anything we eat in this house also
She just shook her head in pity. Lol

I don't understand why people think they don't deserve to be treated right
Foreign dogs have nothing over our beloved Ekuku cool cool
share a picture please
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:55am On May 12, 2022
posty56:
because they're are dirty , unkept ,and may be filled with disease,plus they have this local looks that's not attractive at all, German Shepherd all the way
did you take care of them and they didn’t become clean and look well fed?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Trustedpronet: 8:59am On May 12, 2022
Realist12:
Africans adore anything imported.

Whites adore anything from Africa including their girls snatching our men. Sama same. The problem with us is that we don't value what we have and if we don't who will?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:00am On May 12, 2022
qeemus:
Lol.
grin
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by pocohantas(f): 9:03am On May 12, 2022
Adakintroy:
Nigerians don't love anything its about them and selfish ego. They are more of prestige acquirer than utility.

If those dog were from Germany and were called petariors acaserio. They will buy.

Its well. by the way what's this dog real names I still don't know it.

Wetin be this again? grin
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by vonlogon: 9:07am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:
Why do people hate these cute Nigerian Local dogs?

They are so lovable and they don't get sick.

What is wrong with the Nigerian Local Breed of dog?

A very wealthy man once came with his dog to the clinic for medical attention but before he came, he had called me. I was really expecting a German shepherd dog or a Rottweiler but lo and behold it was our Nigerian local breed of dog. To be candid, I saw disappointed faces among my staff but I tried to be nice to the man by saying nice things about his dog. We still did our examination and clinical procedures and issued the man his bill which he cleared happily.

Out of curiosity, I asked him why he chose a Local dog. He answered: “I guess I have to answer this question for the rest of my life”. He narrated his story about all the dogs he ever acquired and the sad way they all died. He spoke long about a Caucasian breed he once owned that was more of a companion to him & the way he usually goes to evening walks with that dog. The death of that dog made him give up on keeping dogs entirely but on narrating his story to a friend, his friend told him that our local breeds hardly die of all these diseases so he considered getting one.

I thank God that most members of my staff heard the story. After the man left I raised the question: “But what is wrong with our Nigerian local breed?” One of them said that it belittles the man, that a man of his status should own one of the best breeds available. So I asked again that considering his story about his experience with those breeds they preferred, what can they say? The other echoed that the man must have contacted inexperienced vets to treat his dogs. I only wanted to hear from them. I saw from their views, a resentment for the local breed.
The Nigerian local breed has been called all sorts of names such as “Ekuke”, shit eater, stray dog, local dog, “shinee” to mention but a few. These names are derogatory in nature to make the dog look unimportant and undesirable. “Ekuke” as they are popularly called are the dogs preferred as food for the cultures that eat dog meat popularly called “404” (four-ow-four). They are the cheapest dogs to buy in Nigeria. They are sold as little as one thousand five hundred naira (N1,500) about $10 (ten US dollars).

So what is bad about the Nigerian Local breed?

If you ask many Nigerians that resent this breed of dog the reason why they dislike it, they won’t be able to give you concrete reasons. Many of us have seen very intelligent local breeds. Many of them are trained and used for hunting bush meat by locals in which they perform excellently well. In the rural areas these dogs are usually the best for securing the compound or yard against intruders, although they are good at alerting against strangers. I have seen many of these dogs doing spectacular things but I guess like Jesus said: “A prophet is not recognized in his environment…” I have seen foreigners who prefer our own breed to theirs, pointing out the unique features they possess while we, Nigerians buy books to read about the foreign breeds.
I guess we, Nigerians should start to love our local breed of dogs and also acquire and keep them just like the man in the story above.

Let me tell you a fact that Local Nigerian breeds resist many of the diseases other foreign breeds will die readily from here in Nigeria. So think about it.

Here are some of the dog breeds that make up the Ekuke

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

By Kodichukwu Okonkwo, DVM

From experience, those African breeds are the smartest specie of dogs I've ever come across. They don't need much training to grasp. They can follow you without a leash and people won't go Helter skelter and best of all, the can attack intruders

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by VPN11(m): 9:12am On May 12, 2022
vonlogon:

From experience, those African breeds are the smartest specie of dogs I've ever come across. They don't need much training to grasp. They can follow you without a leash and people won't go Helter skelter and best of all, the can attack intruders

Well said ;I couldn't have said it ;any better.

I concur.100%

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Kamalex2: 9:12am On May 12, 2022
Most of them like to chop shit
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Akalia(m): 9:16am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:

Go to jiji.com

Thanks
Thanks
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Ladymillion(f): 9:16am On May 12, 2022
I am a huge fan of our local dogs , especially the one with curly tails bc they are very mean and active. Growing up we had 2 , castrated and well fed, took them to vet regularly and dewormed them as at when due. While alive though they never strayed out except for taking them for walks and swimming( yes they really love to) kids dreaded our street bc at times when the gate is not locked they chase people a lot. When they passed on at 7 years n 8 years respectively, NEPA avoided our house for 2years . Our local breeds are disea8 resistant bc I believe they are conversant with our terrain .
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Mustiboy(m): 9:16am On May 12, 2022
ebuka1511:
Reading this piece and some comments here have really waken my consciousness, whether we like it or not, there is this unconscious bias we have developed for anything local or African.

Let us start with our kids, I have seen videos of where black kids were presented a white and black doll to make a choice from and guess what?, almost 98% of the kids in the study went for the white doll. This conditioned way of thinking has made us believe anything associated with the back is wrong/bad. It is so so bad. Even in the Western world, its unfortunate to see even Black Americans racially discriminating against fellow blacks from African origin.

This is the reason many of us believe it is until we Japa, that is when we can make it. We are all guilty of this. We have unconsciously taken it down to animals. I was thinking of getting a pet dog for my daughter, I have made lots of research on dog breeds to choose from, but from this writes up, I am going for a very local breed, yes you get me right, I will get an Ekuke or your ordinary bingo for my daughter.

Let us be reminded that our breed of local dogs still has their original genome sequence intact, reasons they have high adaptability, compared to those foreign breeds that are crosses of crosses of hybride dogs, most are not original, and from the basics in genetics, we know the effects of excess recessive genes when they are cross breed frequently.

The truth is that our weakest link is in our leadership, however, I believe things will only get better, it might not be in our generation, but then I still believe we will get it right. Let us learn to believe in ourselves.

I pray we all Africans wake up from our mental slavery and know how to cherish our own. Remember the saying, "Monkey no fine, but I'm mama like am" .

I doff my hat for you, Sir. You're knowledgeable
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Linus0x: 9:18am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:
Why do people hate these cute Nigerian Local dogs?

They are so lovable and they don't get sick.

What is wrong with the Nigerian Local Breed of dog?

A very wealthy man once came with his dog to the clinic for medical attention but before he came, he had called me. I was really expecting a German shepherd dog or a Rottweiler but lo and behold it was our Nigerian local breed of dog. To be candid, I saw disappointed faces among my staff but I tried to be nice to the man by saying nice things about his dog. We still did our examination and clinical procedures and issued the man his bill which he cleared happily.

Out of curiosity, I asked him why he chose a Local dog. He answered: “I guess I have to answer this question for the rest of my life”. He narrated his story about all the dogs he ever acquired and the sad way they all died. He spoke long about a Caucasian breed he once owned that was more of a companion to him & the way he usually goes to evening walks with that dog. The death of that dog made him give up on keeping dogs entirely but on narrating his story to a friend, his friend told him that our local breeds hardly die of all these diseases so he considered getting one.

I thank God that most members of my staff heard the story. After the man left I raised the question: “But what is wrong with our Nigerian local breed?” One of them said that it belittles the man, that a man of his status should own one of the best breeds available. So I asked again that considering his story about his experience with those breeds they preferred, what can they say? The other echoed that the man must have contacted inexperienced vets to treat his dogs. I only wanted to hear from them. I saw from their views, a resentment for the local breed.
The Nigerian local breed has been called all sorts of names such as “Ekuke”, shit eater, stray dog, local dog, “shinee” to mention but a few. These names are derogatory in nature to make the dog look unimportant and undesirable. “Ekuke” as they are popularly called are the dogs preferred as food for the cultures that eat dog meat popularly called “404” (four-ow-four). They are the cheapest dogs to buy in Nigeria. They are sold as little as one thousand five hundred naira (N1,500) about $10 (ten US dollars).

So what is bad about the Nigerian Local breed?

If you ask many Nigerians that resent this breed of dog the reason why they dislike it, they won’t be able to give you concrete reasons. Many of us have seen very intelligent local breeds. Many of them are trained and used for hunting bush meat by locals in which they perform excellently well. In the rural areas these dogs are usually the best for securing the compound or yard against intruders, although they are good at alerting against strangers. I have seen many of these dogs doing spectacular things but I guess like Jesus said: “A prophet is not recognized in his environment…” I have seen foreigners who prefer our own breed to theirs, pointing out the unique features they possess while we, Nigerians buy books to read about the foreign breeds.
I guess we, Nigerians should start to love our local breed of dogs and also acquire and keep them just like the man in the story above.

Let me tell you a fact that Local Nigerian breeds resist many of the diseases other foreign breeds will die readily from here in Nigeria. So think about it.

Here are some of the dog breeds that make up the Ekuke

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

By Kodichukwu Okonkwo, DVM

I have mixed breed German Shepard for sale
Dm on WhatsApp: 08124323045

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by jendhorlee(m): 9:19am On May 12, 2022
Godmademan:
photo of the dog for cross examination please
Meet Zuma cool

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Joelobioha(m): 9:22am On May 12, 2022
See better 404 grin
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by jendhorlee(m): 9:25am On May 12, 2022
INDUSTRIALFAN:
share a picture please
Here u go
All of u sha no wan believe me grin grin

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Demzlent(m): 9:26am On May 12, 2022
Local dog na bingo grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Residents Kill Dog That Killed 50 Goats & Sheep In Kenya (Photos) / Jungle Justice On A Pet Python: Man Inspired By Pretty Mike Acquires N23k Python / Lady Offers N50,000 To Anyone Who Finds Her Dog, Reveals Identity Of Thief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.