Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? - Pets (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? (32946 Views)

My First Time Seeing GSD Mixed With Nigerian Local Dogs / Where Can I Get Nigerian Local Dog Puppies In Lagos?[suggestions Needed] / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by JDJ4: 7:34am On May 12, 2022
They can't behave like English dogs cool
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Heavensent01(m): 7:35am On May 12, 2022
this guy have this to say

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Okhuadams(m): 7:39am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:
Why do people hate these cute Nigerian Local dogs?

They are so lovable and they don't get sick.

What is wrong with the Nigerian Local Breed of dog?

A very wealthy man once came with his dog to the clinic for medical attention but before he came, he had called me. I was really expecting a German shepherd dog or a Rottweiler but lo and behold it was our Nigerian local breed of dog. To be candid, I saw disappointed faces among my staff but I tried to be nice to the man by saying nice things about his dog. We still did our examination and clinical procedures and issued the man his bill which he cleared happily.

Out of curiosity, I asked him why he chose a Local dog. He answered: “I guess I have to answer this question for the rest of my life”. He narrated his story about all the dogs he ever acquired and the sad way they all died. He spoke long about a Caucasian breed he once owned that was more of a companion to him & the way he usually goes to evening walks with that dog. The death of that dog made him give up on keeping dogs entirely but on narrating his story to a friend, his friend told him that our local breeds hardly die of all these diseases so he considered getting one.

I thank God that most members of my staff heard the story. After the man left I raised the question: “But what is wrong with our Nigerian local breed?” One of them said that it belittles the man, that a man of his status should own one of the best breeds available. So I asked again that considering his story about his experience with those breeds they preferred, what can they say? The other echoed that the man must have contacted inexperienced vets to treat his dogs. I only wanted to hear from them. I saw from their views, a resentment for the local breed.
The Nigerian local breed has been called all sorts of names such as “Ekuke”, shit eater, stray dog, local dog, “shinee” to mention but a few. These names are derogatory in nature to make the dog look unimportant and undesirable. “Ekuke” as they are popularly called are the dogs preferred as food for the cultures that eat dog meat popularly called “404” (four-ow-four). They are the cheapest dogs to buy in Nigeria. They are sold as little as one thousand five hundred naira (N1,500) about $10 (ten US dollars).

So what is bad about the Nigerian Local breed?

If you ask many Nigerians that resent this breed of dog the reason why they dislike it, they won’t be able to give you concrete reasons. Many of us have seen very intelligent local breeds. Many of them are trained and used for hunting bush meat by locals in which they perform excellently well. In the rural areas these dogs are usually the best for securing the compound or yard against intruders, although they are good at alerting against strangers. I have seen many of these dogs doing spectacular things but I guess like Jesus said: “A prophet is not recognized in his environment…” I have seen foreigners who prefer our own breed to theirs, pointing out the unique features they possess while we, Nigerians buy books to read about the foreign breeds.
I guess we, Nigerians should start to love our local breed of dogs and also acquire and keep them just like the man in the story above.

Let me tell you a fact that Local Nigerian breeds resist many of the diseases other foreign breeds will die readily from here in Nigeria. So think about it.

Here are some of the dog breeds that make up the Ekuke

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

By Kodichukwu Okonkwo, DVM

Until they eat it they won't understand the sweetness in local dog, it has more vitamins and nutrients very test full example the head sucking out the brain from the nose oh lala. A trial will convince you. God bless you all

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Nobody: 7:39am On May 12, 2022
I call them tuwo da miya dogs

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by forgiveness: 7:39am On May 12, 2022
jendhorlee:
Nice write-up op
To be honest, i don't understand the resentment too. I own a very beautiful local dog, considering how i take care and feed her constantly, people do think she's pregnant considering how big and healthy she is

One of our relatives came to visit us, she couldn't close her mouth when she saw my mom giving the dog bread and Tea grin grin grin
If you see The way she opened her mouth ehn cheesy cheesy
When she eventually spoke, she said "you're giving a Dog bread and Tea"?

I said Yes, we feed her anything we eat in this house also
She just shook her head in pity. Lol

I don't understand why people think they don't deserve to be treated right
Foreign dogs have nothing over our beloved Ekuku cool cool

Are they fearless? Can they guard property?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by stanisbaratheon: 7:40am On May 12, 2022
Because local dogs na mumu.

You will keep a dog to protect the environment against intruders but na the dog go first run when thief come grin

No be mumu be that?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Eberex(m): 7:44am On May 12, 2022
I got a dog from a neighbor who was relocating, that was when I was working in ikot ekpene Akwa ibom.

Fed this dog with almost everything I cook and even collect remnant of Bones from meat sellers whenever I go to the market.

One Sunday I went to Church, I came back to see that my sliding window was opened and through the thief used a rake to steal my laptop which I left on my bed.

The stupid dog I'm sure didn't bark seeing a stranger, left alone attack him. I even saw a fish head on the ground beside the dog. The thief obviously bribed the dog with it.

Naija dogs are not for security, they are just for lukuluku

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Tremple8v: 7:45am On May 12, 2022
Our local dog , my best meat . Cant trade them for another . I love them so much grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by sheggsliveth: 7:45am On May 12, 2022
I have a mixed of germany shepard and our local dog, the germany actually belong to my brother while the local for his pastor....

I really love this dog so much she doesn't get sick and I don't allow her to stray the street..

The rest of the dogs resemble Germany with their black colour except mine...I do feed her with noodles, soya beans and fish...

This dog is very active and can heavy bark, very aggressive at stranger.
here is her pictures Ponyo

Just taken this pic of her breakfast. The wereh eat still have leftover

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Nobody: 7:49am On May 12, 2022
Scavenger dogs lmaoo

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Kajaard: 7:51am On May 12, 2022
favour32:
One ekuke wey dey the part to my house, never bark one day for years but the foreign dog, a house apart, na terror.
Any sound at anytime, even if e nor see the person, na bark seriously.
That ekuku go just pose dey bid everyone going and coming bye bye or welcome.
Nai make dem give am Siddon look.

Lol cheesy grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by naniawini(f): 7:51am On May 12, 2022
qeemus:
Lol.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by donbenie(m): 7:52am On May 12, 2022
posty56:
because they're are dirty , unkept ,and may be filled with disease,plus they have this local looks that's not attractive at all, German Shepherd all the way
Any dog will look dirty,unkempt and filled with diseases if not taken care of..
As per looks,beauty is in the eyes of the beholder..

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by naniawini(f): 7:54am On May 12, 2022
larryking540:
I once bought a bingo for 2000naira ,I went in YouTube to research how to command a dog ,from basics command to advance commamds for dog ,went to the market to buy fish waste ,cow meat waste ,fowl feed waste ,the size this dog turned out was so magnificent,I tamed the dog such that you can't play with it ,we never had any kid around my home so It was literally a guard dog I was making...he sleeps in my room at day time and when it's 12pm he goes out and sit close to our enterance door ,what a sweet dog ,you can't press our door bell , because that's where I place his food and at the back gate ,so he hears any sound coming from the back side ,he runs to check who goes there , because I have programmed her brain to think any sound from the back gate means there is food waiting,same goes to the front enterance gate,when the dog was 5months ,I take her for a walk round the end to end of my compound,I did this to tell her this is your territory and don't allow intruder,at every walk I give the dog a cookie dog food or some times I buy pop corn and gift her to make her happy,...last time I check my dad told me she has given birth and still very active,most people where already booking for her puppies.

less I forget,she always wants to stay outside the house to guard when it's sun set , infact she behaves like human ,she sits in the kitchen even if a piece of meat falls she doesn't eat it till you give her go ahead..
Can you please share a pic of her??

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Ijaya123: 7:54am On May 12, 2022
Nigerians like anything foreign.

Even if t is tokunbo (fairly used).

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by mozona(m): 7:54am On May 12, 2022
cos dem dey chop shit

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Mustiboy(m): 7:59am On May 12, 2022
AntiChristian:

It's okay! I don't hate them though. But you seemed pained. Are you a dog?

���

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Mustiboy(m): 7:59am On May 12, 2022
AntiChristian:

It's okay! I don't hate them though. But you seemed pained. Are you a dog?
grin cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Ethanuella: 7:59am On May 12, 2022
elitper:
Even you wen be Nigerian human being, you like yourself?
Abi oh

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Forumobserver12(m): 8:05am On May 12, 2022
SporaD8:

Depends on your budget.
Vets/Feed'em well and they'd be as big as you want. What made our local breeds skinny will actually kill your preferred foreign breeds.

God bless you for observation, many Nigerians complain about the unhealthy nature of our local dogs but I have observed that 98percent of these local dogs are not taken care of by the owners, If we can spend half of the money we spent on all these foreign dog on Ekuke they will look much more beautiful and healthier than foreign ones...

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Wannabenz: 8:06am On May 12, 2022
It's good for hunting and also good for sacrifice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by kingyakos: 8:06am On May 12, 2022
Because no matter how much of time you put to train them, the can never learn just as other breed do learn.

They are like Nigerian politicians very foolish

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by VPN11(m): 8:08am On May 12, 2022
Blakpot:
OP greyhound is no Ekuke abeg.
They might look similar but they are different breeds.

This topic is for educational purposes only.
We can always learn something new;please no insults ;but rational counter arguments only;We can always agree to disagree amicably.

Local Nigerian dogs breeds;

OVERVIEW

Domestic dogs have been tamed and trained by humans for ages. These Dogs have numerous breeds, shapes, sizes, hair lengths and color. Over years most dogs in Nigeria were kept for guarding, herding and hunting. You must have seen one while growing up, or heard some names like Bingo, Ekuke or Ebua depending on where you were raised. These were the names given to these ancient Pariah dogs brought into Nigeria by foreigners as a result of migration. According to speculative history research, Pariah Dogs which include some of the oldest dog breeds like Basenji, Azawakh, and Greyhounds and so on are believed to have been introduced into the country by traders, pastoral farmers and nomads when they migrated deep into the Sahara from other African countries.

When the migrants first arrived in the Northern part of Nigeria, they came with their dogs but since most Northern Muslims believe dogs are unclean, many of those dogs were uncared for and later became stray dogs. When the stray dogs began to disturb their livestock, some volunteers took the capturing of those dogs as a form of public service. When those dogs were caught, they were transported to other parts of Nigeria especially Calabar where most of them were kept and others were eaten (a practice that is common to the region till this day).

Local dogs are the dominant breeds in Nigeria. They’re mostly dogs that do not belong to officially recognized breed but are believed to be Pariah dogs that were bred for hunting down preys. Here are some of the breeds that make up the class of Local dogs in Nigeria;

• BASENJI

The Basenji is a breed of hunting dog that originated in central Africa. Basenjis have reportedly lived with humans for thousands of years. They have pricked (upright) ears and tightly curled tails and enjoy sitting at the feet of their masters. Basenjis were originally kept for hunting small game by tracking and driving the game into nets.

Some consider independent dogs such as Basenjis and Afghan Hounds more intelligent than obedient breeds because of their freedom of thought and ability to recognize which actions benefit them, and which simply please another.

• AZAWAKH

Originating in West Africa, the Azawakh belong to a class of hunting dogs known as sight hounds (also called gazehounds) that primarily hunt by sight and speed, rather than by scent and endurance as the scent hounds do.

The Azawakh is a tall and thin dog breed with a very short coat that is almost absent on the belly. Unlike most other sight hounds, the Azawakh easily develop an intense bond with its owner, even though can also perform independently from its master. With those they accept, Azawakh are gentle and extremely affectionate. With strangers many are reserved and prefer not to be touched, but are not inherently aggressive. Although raised to protect livestock, they do not have innate aggression toward canines or humans unless they are threatened.

• GREYHOUND

The Greyhound is also a sight hound. They are tall, slender, graceful and smooth-coated dogs characterized by swiftness and keen sight. Greyhound owners consider Greyhounds wonderful pets. They are very loving, and enjoy the company of their humans and other dogs. Whether a Greyhound will enjoy the company of other small animals, such as cats, depends on the individual dog’s personality

It is a gentle and intelligent breed whose combination of long, powerful legs, deep chest, flexible spine and slim build allows it to reach speeds of up to 70 kilometers per hour, making them the fastest dog breed and one of the fastest animals in the world. As a result of this, greyhounds have been used in dog racing for many years. Beyond their speed and grace, people love greyhounds for their sweet, placid nature

General characteristics and traits

Most of them exhibit traits common to Hound dogs and can track the location of targeted animals easily using their good sense of smell and fast speed. Just like hound dogs, the local dogs in Nigeria can exhibit behaviors common to sight hound, scent hound or a combination of both while following up preys. You can easily recognize some of them by their erect, semi-erect or coiled ears, short coats and small muscular body although some may have different appearance. They tend to be friendly but difficult to train on advanced commands.

Local dogs are experts in exploring the world. They will seize the little opportunity you give them to exercise by roaming all the nooks and crannies of your locality.

Local dogs are kept by farmers, hunters and people with little knowledge on dog raising. Because of this, local dogs rarely get vaccinated against rabies and other contagious diseases. Some of the lucky ones that get vaccinated may not be given complete dosage because of their owners’ financial constraints.
Here is why you should own a local dog

1. Immunity and disease resistance

Local dogs are typically a healthy and long-lived breed, and hereditary illness is rare. You rarely get to see a local dog being dewormed or vaccinated at birth. Fact is no and never. Well this because these breeds are so much immune to so many diseases affecting canines in this part of the world.

2 Abilities

These local dog breeds possess relatively good speed and stamina and can be trained for artificial lure sports like lure coursing and racing.

3. Cost

Local dogs are very cheap in Nigeria and their prices range are pocket friendly. The puppies are even cheaper and can be obtained directly from the owners.

4. Security

Some say these breeds are not security conscious but that’s a fat lie. If you want to mess with them visit them at night when they are most active. They are naturally sight hounds and speed hounds (hunters use them to catch meat and their success rate is 90%). They’ll alert you way before any intruder gets in.

5. Longevity

Local dogs are an incredibly sound coursing hound. Serious injuries are rare. The dogs heal very quickly from injury, no known incidence of hip dysplasia and have been known for long life spans of about 10 to 14 years

Thank you.

1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by lightandsound: 8:09am On May 12, 2022
Eberex:
I got a dog from a neighbor who was relocating, that was when I was working in ikot ekpene Akwa ibom.

Fed this dog with almost everything I cook and even collect remnant of Bones from meat sellers whenever I go to the market.

One Sunday I went to Church, I came back to see that my sliding window was opened and through the thief used a rake to steal my laptop which I left on my bed.

The stupid dog I'm sure didn't bark seeing a stranger, left alone attack him. I even saw a fish head on the ground beside the dog. The thief obviously bribed the dog with it.

Naija dogs are not for security, they are just for lukuluku
Lol.. so ekuke takes bribes too. Wonderful grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by ajayiopy: 8:09am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:

A very wealthy man once came with his dog to the clinic for medical attention but before he came, he had called me. I was really expecting a German shepherd dog or a Rottweiler but lo and behold it was our Nigerian local breed of dog. To be candid, I saw disappointed faces among my staff but I tried to be nice to the man by saying nice things about his dog. We still did our examination and clinical procedures and issued the man his bill which he cleared happily.

Out of curiosity, I asked him why he chose a Local dog. He answered: “I guess I have to answer this question for the rest of my life”. He narrated his story about all the dogs he ever acquired and the sad way they all died. He spoke long about a Caucasian breed he once owned that was more of a companion to him & the way he usually goes to evening walks with that dog. The death of that dog made him give up on keeping dogs entirely but on narrating his story to a friend, his friend told him that our local breeds hardly die of all these diseases so he considered getting one.

I thank God that most members of my staff heard the story. After the man left I raised the question: “But what is wrong with our Nigerian local breed?” One of them said that it belittles the man, that a man of his status should own one of the best breeds available. So I asked again that considering his story about his experience with those breeds they preferred, what can they say? The other echoed that the man must have contacted inexperienced vets to treat his dogs. I only wanted to hear from them. I saw from their views, a resentment for the local breed.
The Nigerian local breed has been called all sorts of names such as “Ekuke”, shit eater, stray dog, local dog, “shinee” to mention but a few. These names are derogatory in nature to make the dog look unimportant and undesirable. “Ekuke” as they are popularly called are the dogs preferred as food for the cultures that eat dog meat popularly called “404” (four-ow-four). They are the cheapest dogs to buy in Nigeria. They are sold as little as one thousand five hundred naira (N1,500) about $10 (ten US dollars).

If you ask many Nigerians that resent this breed of dog the reason why they dislike it, they won’t be able to give you concrete reasons. Many of us have seen very intelligent local breeds. Many of them are trained and used for hunting bush meat by locals in which they perform excellently well. In the rural areas these dogs are usually the best for securing the compound or yard against intruders, although they are good at alerting against strangers. I have seen many of these dogs doing spectacular things but I guess like Jesus said: “A prophet is not recognized in his environment…” I have seen foreigners who prefer our own breed to theirs, pointing out the unique features they possess while we, Nigerians buy books to read about the foreign breeds.
I guess we, Nigerians should start to love our local breed of dogs and also acquire and keep them just like the man in the story above.

Let me tell you a fact that Local Nigerian breeds resist many of the diseases other foreign breeds will die readily from here in Nigeria. So think about it.

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

LIFE IS ABOUT PACKAGING. FEED THOSE DOGS WELL,GIVE THEM GOOD ABODE,TAKE GOOD CARE OF THEM.
THEN YOU CAN COME BACK AND MARKET THE LOCAL DOGS

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by antibullshit: 8:11am On May 12, 2022
The notion that local dogs are the only breeds that eat poo is untrue . First of all, most of the dogs that eat poo or from trash dumps are strays with no owner so they have to scavenge for food . Any breed will eat poo if its hungry enough . I've seen rottweilers and german shepherds eat poo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by uunwanaobong3: 8:14am On May 12, 2022
CAN OUR LOCAL DOGS FUCCCCK LIKE A GERMAN SHEPHERD?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by maikalaf(m): 8:15am On May 12, 2022
I hope to get one local dog later this year. I will create a thread to update its progress.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by VPN11(m): 8:15am On May 12, 2022
Okhuadams:
Until they eat it they won't understand the sweetness in local dog, it has more vitamins and nutrients very test full example the head sucking out the brain from the nose oh lala. A trial will convince you. God bless you all

grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by rayval(m): 8:16am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

Hahahahahahhah. You have small touch of madness. @ “here are the local breed that make up the Ekuke”

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Luak(m): 8:20am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Residents Kill Dog That Killed 50 Goats & Sheep In Kenya (Photos) / Jungle Justice On A Pet Python: Man Inspired By Pretty Mike Acquires N23k Python / Lady Offers N50,000 To Anyone Who Finds Her Dog, Reveals Identity Of Thief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.