Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,603 members, 7,827,269 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise (33297 Views)

Please Advise Me !! An Art Student Under Pressure To Study Nursing / 750 Youths Graduate Under Anambra Government One Youth, One Skill Initiative / Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Polchiz(m): 3:55pm On May 18, 2022
Segzy19:
Let your friend go do nursing o....
It's just a 3-year investment into her future. That's all.

So this is the way it works...
1. 3 years in the school of nursing
2. Once she passes her registration exam in Nigeria (nursing council exam) and her registration license is out, all she needs to do is to write IELTS (English exam). Once she passes that one to, then she is in hot demand abroad... Easily she can transit into UK...
3. Ofcourse, she will do the UK nursing registration... No much issues with that
4. She can even start working as a nursing assistant (healthcare assistant) while she processes her UK registration
5. Once she passes her UK exams (which is also not difficult), she her PIN and license to practice, she starts making money... All these can be done under 6 months of her UK arrival.
6. She can later enrol for her degrees (Bsc, Msc, PhD whatever) easily online or part-time while working...

I can assure you that she will build a house and buy a car for her parents within 2-3 years of working in the UK, especially if she is not married yet...

She will eternally be grateful to her uncle for the advise...

Na me tell you....

Please also tell people that challenges so that they don't get disappointed when they encounter challenges.

Everything you wrote hear sounds like an express road to heaven.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 3:57pm On May 18, 2022
Segzy19:
Let your friend go do nursing o....
It's just a 3-year investment into her future. That's all.

So this is the way it works...
1. 3 years in the school of nursing
2. Once she passes her registration exam in Nigeria (nursing council exam) and her registration license is out, all she needs to do is to write IELTS (English exam). Once she passes that one to, then she is in hot demand abroad... Easily she can transit into UK...
3. Ofcourse, she will do the UK nursing registration... No much issues with that
4. She can even start working as a nursing assistant (healthcare assistant) while she processes her UK registration
5. Once she passes her UK exams (which is also not difficult), she her PIN and license to practice, she starts making money... All these can be done under 6 months of her UK arrival.
6. She can later enrol for her degrees (Bsc, Msc, PhD whatever) easily online or part-time while working...

I can assure you that she will build a house and buy a car for her parents within 2-3 years of working in the UK, especially if she is not married yet...

She will eternally be grateful to her uncle for the advise...

Na me tell you....
Hmmmm... Thank you
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Polchiz(m): 3:57pm On May 18, 2022
exynos:

Sir I'd love to have a word with you, can I drop my WhatsApp number?

Go ahead
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by SIMPLIFIED(m): 3:59pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

A friend studied Biochemistry in one of Nigeria's Federal Universities, she has completed NYSC but she does not have a job yet.

Her brother who currently resides in the UK wants her to enrol in a school of Nursing in Nigeria and she is not happy with what her brother wants.

I asked her if her brother's reason is because Nursing is profitable in the UK and she said YES, that's his reason. The goal is that she'd eventually relocate to the the UK.

My concerns are:

1. Why study a course like Biochemistry and go back to a school of Nursing? Aren't there better alternatives?
2. Most of the people I know that attended school of Nursing always go back to the Univeristy for BSc. Nursing.
3. School of Nursing in Nigeria will take her about 3 years and I am sure she will still need to write some exams before she will be able to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK.

Are there possibilities of moving to the UK to study that version of Nigerian School of Nursing? If yes, how expensive is it?

On the other hand, if she's able to go to the UK for her masters, masters in what course can she apply for (please bear in my that she is a Biochemistry graduate) that would give her chances of securing a good job in the UK ( At least, a kind of job that would still make her earn something close to what Nurses earn)?

Please advise. Thank you
There are three viable options I will suggest for her.
1) Take the advice of the brother and go to school of Nursing, there are lots of people with first degree going back to study nursing. Three years is a short time, she may have nothing tangible in three years time running contract bank job or one sales job with target as opportunities for Biochemistry are almost non existent with lack of research facilities. School of Nursing does not go on strike unlike going to the university, and she will be done in 3years as against five for university nursing. UK places both on same scale and she can do a top bsc in one year over there if she starts working.
2) If the brother can sponsor her for a masters in UK she can go for MSc in Biomedical Sciences with placement which will give her opportunity to gain experience of the NHS laboratory system. She will then apply to IBMS UK for top up modules in order to take courses relevant to get HCPC registration as a UK Biomedical scientist ( Biochemistry option). Biomedical scientist are in demand in the UK also and start on a level higher than Nurses in the UK.
3) Gain 6-12months work experience in hospital setting in Nigeria, she can do auxiliary program or voluntary assistant work to gain clinical experience and apply for MSc Mental health or Adult Nursing in the UK Pre registration. This is for 2years and will enable her to register as Nurse in UK. Although more expensive than normal masters program and usually application is more stringent. I have a friend resuming this September in UK for same program with a bachelor in Medical Biochemistry and working experience in Primary health center.

4 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by exynos(m): 4:02pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

Go ahead

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by salveoP(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2022
I am currently in school of nursing after my first degree.
My sister did her first degree in Microbiology and she is currently in the UK doing a 2 yr nursing program.
If she has the needed funds, she can do her 2 yr nursing program in the UK and get licence to practice there.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Polchiz(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2022
30naira:

I agree with you that no profession guarantees success. But some are more likely to put food on your table than others.

You are probably among the 3% that secure good jobs. But the overwhelming majority in that your field will unfortunately remain unemployed, or do something unrelated to that field, even with a masters degree. Those private companies you mentioned there, how many job openings do they have in a year compared to the number of unemployed applicants?

Hardly would you find a nurse or doctor unemployed, or even working outside their field of study. Although there are lots of under employed ones as well.

I know nurses and doctors in Nigeria who work for multinationals and earn 6 figures in Nigeria. But again, those are the 3%, The exceptions, just like you. But majority will not reach that level. So make decisions based of the rules, not the exceptions.

Maybe you are not in Nigeria

many doctors struggle for 2 years just to secure a place for housemanship

Some doctors have been unemployed for 5 years.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by obstead200(m): 4:08pm On May 18, 2022
[quote author=NaughtyBrainiac post=112878749]Hello All,

A friend studied Biochemistry in one of Nigeria's Federal Universities, she has completed NYSC but she does not have a job yet.

Her brother who currently resides in the UK wants her to enrol in a school of Nursing in Nigeria and she is not happy with what her brother wants.

I asked her if her brother's reason is because Nursing is profitable in the UK and she said YES, that's his reason. The goal is that she'd eventually relocate to the the UK.

My concerns are:

1. Why study a course like Biochemistry and go back to a school of Nursing? Aren't there better alternatives?
2. Most of the people I know that attended school of Nursing always go back to the Univeristy for BSc. Nursing.
3. School of Nursing in Nigeria will take her about 3 years and I am sure she will still need to write some exams before she will be able to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK.

Are there possibilities of moving to the UK to study that version of Nigerian School of Nursing? If yes, how expensive is it?

On the other hand, if she's able to go to the UK for her masters, masters in what course can she apply for (please bear in my that she is a Biochemistry graduate) that would give her chances of securing a good job in the UK ( At least, a kind of job that would still make her earn something close to what Nurses earn)?

Pleas
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by emmyileri(m): 4:09pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

You have to be careful. This is your destiny and nobody can advise you better than yourself.

Are you passionate about Biochemistry or you just want a discipline that can guarantee you a job?

Why did you study Biochemistry? What is your class of degree?

There are many opportunities for a Biochemistry graduate. However, nepotism in Nigeria MUST affect your chances:

If you graduated with at least a 2:1 and you are 25 years or below then you can easily secure a job in the following organizations if you are good enough to pass Aptitude test & interview:

i. Audit firms: KPMG, ERNST & YOUNG, DELLOITE, PWC
ii. Banks
iii. Food Industries: Nigerian Breweries (M.SC required), Nestle, International Breweries, Coca Cola, Guiness Nigeria
iv. Pharmaceutical Industries as Sales Rep

Alternatively, if you are connected and know a big man in government:
i. Research Institutes (We have more than 30 in Nigeria & Biochemists are well positioned. You start as Research Officer II and grow and become a director)
ii. Monotechnic/Polytechnics as lecturer
iii. Federal Universities as lecturer (M.SC, PhD required)
iv. Government Agencies: DPR (as environmentalist), NSE (Graduate Trainee), NARICT, NILEST, NABDA, NAFDAC etc as Research officers
v. Teacher (PGDE required)

In Nigeria today, no discipline guarantees you a job, Medicine inclusive.

A yoruba graduate may secure a better paying job than a doctor.

I am a passionate Biochemist (B.SC, M.SC). Secured a job 8 months after my M.SC and today, I earn more than a professor of Medicine. Even a Matron cannot come close.

If you are a fresh graduate, it is time to ponder and tell yourself the truth.

You need to be patient, prayerful, diligent, and determined to succeed.

No profession be it Engineering, Nursing, Medicine will guarantee you success.
But are you in Nigeria? I'm a master degree holder in biochemistry too @unilorin 2019(first degree with second class upper at Futminna). I end up being a teacher in secondary school. You can imagine the frustration

4 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by vikgreen01(m): 4:09pm On May 18, 2022
SIMPLIFIED:
There are three viable options I will suggest for her.
1) Take the advice of the brother and go to school of Nursing, there are lots of people with first degree going back to study nursing. Three years is a short time, she may have nothing tangible in three years time running contract bank job or one sales job with target as opportunities for Biochemistry are almost non existent with lack of research facilities. School of Nursing does not go on strike unlike going to the university, and she will be done in 3years as against five for university nursing. UK places both on same scale and she can do a top bsc in one year over there if she starts working.
2) If the brother can sponsor her for a masters in UK she can go for MSc in Biomedical Sciences with placement which will give her opportunity to gain experience of the NHS laboratory system. She will then apply to IBMS UK for top up modules in order to take courses relevant to get HCPC registration as a UK Biomedical scientist ( Biochemistry option). Biomedical scientist are in demand in the UK also and start on a level higher than Nurses in the UK.
3) Gain 6-12months work experience in hospital setting in Nigeria, she can do auxiliary program or voluntary assistant work to gain clinical experience and apply for MSc Mental health or Adult Nursing in the UK Pre registration. This is for 2years and will enable her to register as Nurse in UK. Although more expensive than normal masters program and usually application is more stringent. I have a friend resuming this September in UK for same program with a bachelor in Medical Biochemistry and working experience in Primary health center.

Great insight. I believe people ruling out the option of proceeding for masters with her biochemistry degree are not aware of the opportunities associated with furthering in biochemistry at masters level. They seems the course is as useless as it is here in our dear country lol.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by JJ4A: 4:10pm On May 18, 2022
Truth is what is the gurantee that life won't happen while doing the nursing school in Nigeria?

Going for MSc Nursing in the UK is the best though it's so expensive... I am currently doing same. I studied Microbiology in my first degree.

Maybe it's difficult for her brother to fund that.
But believe me if she has nursing certificate... She go harmer.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Segzy19: 4:15pm On May 18, 2022
Anybody thinking that it's an Express road is not being realistic. There is no easy path to success. Most people want to be a lawyer, pilot, doctor, engineer, right? But is it easy to become one? No! So the person must be ready and be determined to face whatever comes. Generally, nursing is not for the faint-hearted. It is stresful. It involves heavy academic work as well as clinical duties which may sometimes deprive you of some social life. But in the end, it is highly rewarding once you start working abroad. Don't settle to work in Nigeria o except you are lucky to work with big multinationals, which is not easy
Polchiz:

Please also tell people that challenges so that they don't get disappointed when they encounter challenges.

Everything you wrote hear sounds like an express road to heaven.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by vikgreen01(m): 4:18pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

You have to be careful. This is your destiny and nobody can advise you better than yourself.

Are you passionate about Biochemistry or you just want a discipline that can guarantee you a job?

Why did you study Biochemistry? What is your class of degree?

There are many opportunities for a Biochemistry graduate. However, nepotism in Nigeria MUST affect your chances:

If you graduated with at least a 2:1 and you are 25 years or below then you can easily secure a job in the following organizations if you are good enough to pass Aptitude test & interview:

i. Audit firms: KPMG, ERNST & YOUNG, DELLOITE, PWC
ii. Banks
iii. Food Industries: Nigerian Breweries (M.SC required), Nestle, International Breweries, Coca Cola, Guiness Nigeria
iv. Pharmaceutical Industries as Sales Rep

Alternatively, if you are connected and know a big man in government:
i. Research Institutes (We have more than 30 in Nigeria & Biochemists are well positioned. You start as Research Officer II and grow and become a director)
ii. Monotechnic/Polytechnics as lecturer
iii. Federal Universities as lecturer (M.SC, PhD required)
iv. Government Agencies: DPR (as environmentalist), NSE (Graduate Trainee), NARICT, NILEST, NABDA, NAFDAC etc as Research officers
v. Teacher (PGDE required)

In Nigeria today, no discipline guarantees you a job, Medicine inclusive.

A yoruba graduate may secure a better paying job than a doctor.

I am a passionate Biochemist (B.SC, M.SC). Secured a job 8 months after my M.SC and today, I earn more than a professor of Medicine. Even a Matron cannot come close.

If you are a fresh graduate, it is time to ponder and tell yourself the truth.

You need to be patient, prayerful, diligent, and determined to succeed.

No profession be it Engineering, Nursing, Medicine will guarantee you success.

People are just too quick to render a discipline/specialization useless but I can’t blame, it is the country we reside in. Last time an engineer with vast experience in the industry was here pouring out his frustration about the profession. A whole engineering profession which is also among the elite professions.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Polchiz(m): 4:19pm On May 18, 2022
emmyileri:

But are you in Nigeria? I'm a master degree holder in biochemistry too @unilorin 2019. I end up being a teacher in secondary school. You can imagine the frustration

I taught with my B.SC Biochemistry (2.1) for 3 years in a private secondary school. Salary was between 18, 000 - 20,000.

I had to do home lessons to push my earning to 30,000 naira/month.

I was determined to succeed in Biochemistry that no amount of negative stories and testimonies would deter me.
When I completed my M.SC, I continued teaching and was about to commence my PhD when this opportunity came.

I am working in Nigeria.

My point is that, diligence and the determination to succeed is what makes the difference.

Many great men did not study your so-called professional courses.

The former CBN of Russia studied Nuclear Physics.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by EdoBoy90(m): 4:23pm On May 18, 2022
Talking sense into her head now and she doesn't want to listen.

Tomorrow, she will say, it is village people.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by vikgreen01(m): 4:23pm On May 18, 2022
emmyileri:

But are you in Nigeria? I'm a master degree holder in biochemistry too @unilorin 2019(first degree with second class upper at Futminna). I end up being a teacher in secondary school. You can imagine the frustration

Fingers are not equal so they say. Two set of medical doctors, one is working in the federal/state hospital while the other in a private hospital. U can imagine the frustration of the one working in the private sector.
You’re doing well i believe the sky is the limit.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 4:24pm On May 18, 2022
JJ4A:
Truth is what is the gurantee that life won't happen while doing the nursing school in Nigeria?

Going for MSc Nursing in the UK is the best though it's so expensive... I am currently doing same. I studied Microbiology in my first degree.

Maybe it's difficult for her brother to fund that.
But believe me if she has nursing certificate... She go harmer.
What's the cost of an MSc in Nursing in the UK please?
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by kumbhuru: 4:26pm On May 18, 2022
sonnie10:
Nursing is a good career choice both in Nigeria and the UK or US.
If the person intend to relocate ASAP, then it’s a little tricky.
Most schools that offer masters degree in nursing wants you to have RN license as prerequisite and then a first degree.
Here is what most don’t consider. RN is RN, whether it’s a Master degree or an Associate degree.
Except for those hospitals that are selective due to magnet status and insurance.
Why did I bring up this point? Cost of attending are not the same.
You could get an Associate degree for zero fees while a Master degree ( MSN) would set you back almost 30- 50k USD in student loan which you have to pay back.
Moreover there is virtually no pay difference and job responsibility is the same both.
Remember. MSN is not NP ( Nurse Practitioner).
Don’t even think of a higher entry position because of the lack of experience. No employer would hire someone as manger just because they have masters.
For this person in question, time for relocation is important. If it is not in the next two years, School of nursing in Nigeria would be a better option. This is because when she relocates, both her first degree and the nursing license would be considered during education evaluation and she would receive credit for both.
Then, she could apply for the abroad exam over there, and be licensed without additional years in school.
How does this strategy help her? Let me explain further. Now, when she is overseas and has the foreign nursing license and a first degree from Nigeria, she can apply for Nurse practitioner program instead of just a MSN for the same two years.
In essence, whatever she decides, getting RN license first whether in Nigeria or over overseas would be the turning point of she career.
But if I was to be in that position, I would rather use my first degree and pursue a PA program if healthcare is my passion.
You complicated issues
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by dalass(f): 4:26pm On May 18, 2022
Thacutegemini:
Like she wrote waec again ?

She's in the abroad. I don't know exactly the exam they do
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Ex0rcistt: 4:28pm On May 18, 2022
30naira:

Let me address your concerns, as a Nurse who has practiced in Nigeria, and currently practicing in UK.

1)Biochemistry won't put food on your table in Nigeria. It is far easier to get a job as a nurse in Nigeria than any other profession. Nurses are rarely jobless. Although alot are underemployed.

2)If the plan is to stay in Nigeria, then a university degree is the way forward. But from the plan her brother has, the school of nursing is the perfect path to take. The degree won't matter in UK.

3)Ofcourse she will need to write some exams to help her qualify to practice in UK. But the pass rate for that exam among Nigerian nurses is 90%. If she can pass through the Nigeria nursing school, she will ace the UK exams.

4l School of nursing in UK is bloody expensive. Her brother will definitely not be able to afford it, except he earns up to 100k pounds a year.

5)who will sponsor the masters degree? It is very expensive, even for someone working in UK. If the brother is willing, this is an alternative. But it will cost alot. Up to half his annual income, if he is in the middle income bracket.

6) This nursing path is the most straight forward way to leave the country. My entire class of 62 nurses that graduated in 2018, only 12 are still in Nigeria. The rest are either in US, Canada or UK.
Well done sir/ma, so would you advise the person to go for school of nursing, or nursing degree provided she already has a good score in jamb this year, and she doesn't have any uncle in UK.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by 2O22(m): 4:28pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

Maybe you are not in Nigeria

many doctors struggle for 2 years just to secure a place for housemanship

Some doctors have been unemployed for 5 years.
This is no longer the case, MDCN now post doctors for housemanship immediately after graduation
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by kumbhuru: 4:29pm On May 18, 2022
Dickjo:

bro how can a man study nurse? (a womens job).....bro he gay, truus me. he definitely gay sir!(no oofenese) angry
Mrcork, get sense for once and stop opening different accounts on nairaland
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by sonnie10: 4:31pm On May 18, 2022
kumbhuru:

You complicated issues

summary
Let her go to school of nursing in Nigeria or if she is relocating soon, an associate degree of nursing is her best bet.

Personally, I would rather do Physician assistant with my first degree instead of RN, that is if I am overseas.

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by kumbhuru: 4:31pm On May 18, 2022
petaling:
No

Everyone struggling to relocate to UK. Why can't you people build your country?
Who's stopping you?

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by kumbhuru: 4:32pm On May 18, 2022
Munzy14:

As long as the brother will finance it, and she has bio-chem certificate already, she will do well..

Let her try and marry as well...The brother might be a destiny helper for her and the guy that will marry her.
Just say you wanna marry her?
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by emmyileri(m): 4:35pm On May 18, 2022
vikgreen01:

Fingers are not equal so they say. Two set of medical doctors, one is working in the federal/state hospital while the other in a private hospital. U can imagine the frustration of the one working in the private sector.
You’re doing well i believe the sky is the limit.
Well received, thank you
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Polchiz(m): 4:37pm On May 18, 2022
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by vikgreen01(m): 4:37pm On May 18, 2022
emmyileri:

Well received, thank you

Most welcome bro. All the best.!!!
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by emmyileri(m): 4:37pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

I taught with my B.SC Biochemistry (2.1) for 3 years in a private secondary school. Salary was between 18, 000 - 20,000.

I had to do home lessons to push my earning to 30,000 naira/month.

I was determined to succeed in Biochemistry that no amount of negative stories and testimonies would deter me.
When I completed my M.SC, I continued teaching and was about to commence my PhD when this opportunity came.

I am working in Nigeria.

My point is that, diligence and the determination to succeed is what makes the difference.

Many great men did not study your so-called professional courses.

The former CBN of Russia studied Nuclear Physics.
Yea I comprehend everything you said

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Sweetvie: 4:39pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

My concerns are:

Please advise. Thank you
Hmm if her brother is financially ok why not move her to uk to study nursing there abroad doesn't recognize our result like that. If she study nursing here she will still av to go for some program in abroad b4 her result can be recognized. Well, I also studied biochem in Nigeria then studied Nursing in Calgary smiley

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by linearity: 4:41pm On May 18, 2022
Angelacruz:
Very true,,,one of my frds studied biochemistry,did her masters n graduated last yr.

She applied for direct entry in d same school for nursing.Biochemistry is underrated...

My first degree is home economics,i have now gone back to nursing school.

I think you meant to say…..overrated.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by kumbhuru: 4:42pm On May 18, 2022
30naira:

Let me address your concerns, as a Nurse who has practiced in Nigeria, and currently practicing in UK.

1)Biochemistry won't put food on your table in Nigeria. It is far easier to get a job as a nurse in Nigeria than any other profession. Nurses are rarely jobless. Although alot are underemployed.

2)If the plan is to stay in Nigeria, then a university degree is the way forward. But from the plan her brother has, the school of nursing is the perfect path to take. The degree won't matter in UK.

3)Ofcourse she will need to write some exams to help her qualify to practice in UK. But the pass rate for that exam among Nigerian nurses is 90%. If she can pass through the Nigeria nursing school, she will ace the UK exams.

4l School of nursing in UK is bloody expensive. Her brother will definitely not be able to afford it, except he earns up to 100k pounds a year.

5)who will sponsor the masters degree? It is very expensive, even for someone working in UK. If the brother is willing, this is an alternative. But it will cost alot. Up to half his annual income, if he is in the middle income bracket.

6) This nursing path is the most straight forward way to leave the country. My entire class of 62 nurses that graduated in 2018, only 12 are still in Nigeria. The rest are either in US, Canada or UK.
You must have schooled in Edo or Delta. They no dey joke for abroad matter

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know / How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. / Chikezie Emmanuel Uzuegbunam Makes 100 Brightest Young Minds In Africa 2017 List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.