Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,302 members, 7,822,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise (33199 Views)

Please Advise Me !! An Art Student Under Pressure To Study Nursing / 750 Youths Graduate Under Anambra Government One Youth, One Skill Initiative / Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Albertone(m): 7:04pm On May 18, 2022
Angelacruz:
It is a science background bro

This is what I asked:
Albertone:

You didn't have a background in sciences prior to enrolling in school of nursing?

You could have answered yes or no.But instead,you were telling me you studied Home Economics which confused me further.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by egojeny1(f): 7:17pm On May 18, 2022
NemoDatQuod:
I understand where she and her brother are coming from. He wants her to use Nursing as a route to the UK. Her personal sense of self(which is different from person to person) will not let her go to Nursing school after a graduate certificate. She has a right to feel that way. I would not have agreed to do what her brother suggested even if it means starving. Sense of self is sense of self. Period!

If her brother wants to help her, he should pay £4k or £5k for her to study for an Msc in Biomedical Science here in the UK. The total fee for foreign students is about £15k. When she arrives here, she should be prepared to work while studying and pay off what is left of her fees.

With a graduate degree in Biomedical science, the world will be her oyster. Or she can study for a Masters Degree in Public Health!

I don't know who told her brother that being a Nurse in the UK is profitable. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, unless earning £25k to £35k a year alongside long working hours is his idea of profitable.

My two pence!

Here's a link to a uni that offers biomedical science
https://www.uel.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/msc-biomedical-science

Pls can you elaborate more on this Public health, what it's all about and employability rate?

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by VIKTO83(m): 7:31pm On May 18, 2022
If she chop biochemistry money foe one month she go forget nursing.
Nursing benefits goes beyond monetary recorgnision. Every family deserve to have one. But BioChem is a huge asset I must say. Just depends on where u find urself.
With the way people rush into nursing I won't be surprised if I'm future they start looking like Lawyers in d present Nigeria. Doctors are not finding it funny already.

3 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Munzy14(m): 7:32pm On May 18, 2022
kumbhuru:

Just say you wanna marry her?
Lmao...You are extra.. grin grin
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ednut1(m): 7:58pm On May 18, 2022
JOACHINpedro:
Omo!
Make she run Msc. biochemistry in UK. Why waste time?
she wont get any better job there after graduation na
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Mode4: 7:58pm On May 18, 2022
Heathrow44:

I read anatomy in one useless university angry, but my cousin is UK , I don't know weda I should join him there but the job she can find is HCA jobs , but I'm also checking I don't want to work under somebody, I don't want one day in the middle of my life somebody would just sack me, I don't know what to do?

I hope it's not unical oh.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Bbbw: 8:21pm On May 18, 2022
Oh
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Chinny024(f): 8:39pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

A friend studied Biochemistry in one of Nigeria's Federal Universities, she has completed NYSC but she does not have a job yet.

Her brother who currently resides in the UK wants her to enrol in a school of Nursing in Nigeria and she is not happy with what her brother wants.

I asked her if her brother's reason is because Nursing is profitable in the UK and she said YES, that's his reason. The goal is that she'd eventually relocate to the the UK.

My concerns are:

1. Why study a course like Biochemistry and go back to a school of Nursing? Aren't there better alternatives?
2. Most of the people I know that attended school of Nursing always go back to the Univeristy for BSc. Nursing.
3. School of Nursing in Nigeria will take her about 3 years and I am sure she will still need to write some exams before she will be able to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK.

Are there possibilities of moving to the UK to study that version of Nigerian School of Nursing? If yes, how expensive is it?

On the other hand, if she's able to go to the UK for her masters, masters in what course can she apply for (please bear in my that she is a Biochemistry graduate) that would give her chances of securing a good job in the UK ( At least, a kind of job that would still make her earn something close to what Nurses earn)?

Please advise. Thank you
She might not even be enrolled... Don't be surprise she would fail woefully during PTS..Its fail and fail out.If her mind is not there, no one should force her..Nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria needs just 50students per yr from each schools of nursing across the country.
During our time,we had 5 graduates ranging from microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Lab scientist, and physiotherapists. They want to port to UK or US through nursing.
Among the five of them,only the Anatomy students made it with us after PTS.
Unfortunately, because of greed for money most school admits close to 300students and bombard them for that 6months...If you fail,na pack and go on top shame..
I never regretted going into nursing from sch of nursing route.. In fact, it should be the basic.. You get the required training, manner, and experience. Patients are safe in our hands. Most times then we teach BSC students practical and theory...No fighting, everyone has portion to clean,roster for sharing food and class cleaning and washing..You know your sit in the class.
If you do nonsense, you serve punishment in the ward by doing nights and going to classes at same time. However,exit route is widely open for stubborn ones.

Although, not all school is competitive.
Goodluck to her...
NB: Nurses earns more than a biochemist five times..

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by lereinter(m): 8:45pm On May 18, 2022
Well she can study nursing, gaining knowledge is good

but she should be sure the brother isn't deceiving her cos that's what those abroad folks do when you ask them for help.

I have seen someone that study linguistics and relocated to Canada alas she became a health care personnel ( don't know the specific unit)

Let the bro help her to UK first

If na because of job in nigeria, nursing isn't lucrative infact no profession is lucrative in nigeria except you are federal government employed

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ChangeHolder(m): 9:20pm On May 18, 2022
Angelacruz:
If she want to relocate fast,school of nursing is d best because of time and no strike.
Competition in nursing school now is fierce.As far as i am concerned,biochemistry is a scam course in Nigeria.She won't regret doing nursing.

Some of my senior colleagues in nursing school are graduates from :biochemistry,nutrition n dietetics,microbiology,biology,zoology et cetera.

If you want to work in Nigeria as a nurse,go for Bnsc because d earn way more than school of nursing with Rn.

But if you want to work outside,school of nursing is okay .

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by 30naira: 9:40pm On May 18, 2022
Ex0rcistt:

Well done sir/ma, so would you advise the person to go for school of nursing, or nursing degree provided she already has a good score in jamb this year, and she doesn't have any uncle in UK.

It the person is not looking to travel at the moment, then a university degree is the way to go.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by 30naira: 9:42pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

Maybe you are not in Nigeria

many doctors struggle for 2 years just to secure a place for housemanship

Some doctors have been unemployed for 5 years.

True, but in the interim, look at the ones you know, there's always a private hospital where they are getting 50k a month

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by HajiaNotu: 9:59pm On May 18, 2022
Chinny024:

She might not even be enrolled... Don't be surprise she would fail woefully during PTS..Its fail and fail out.If her mind is not there, no one should force her..Nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria needs just 50students per yr from each schools of nursing across the country.
During our time,we had 5 graduates ranging from microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Lab scientist, and physiotherapists. They want to port to UK or US through nursing.
Unfortunately, because of greed for money most school admits close to 300students and bombard them for that 6months...If you fail,na pack and go on top shame..
I never regretted going into nursing from sch of nursing route.. In fact, it should be the basic.. You get the required training, manner, and experience. Patients are safe in our hands. Most times then we teach BSC students practical and theory...No fighting, everyone has portion to clean,roster for sharing food and class cleaning and washing..You know your sit in the class.
If you do nonsense, you serve punishment in the ward by doing nights and going to classes at same time. However,exit route is widely open for stubborn ones.

Goodluck to her...
Can u recommend nursing schools that are competitive?"
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Jaculze(m): 10:21pm On May 18, 2022
Well, I've heard that nursing is very lucrative in the developed world. Let her listen to her brother cos he knows better. Just the way I listened to a friend that recommended Oraimo powerbank to me, ever since then I've always been using any Oraimo product.

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Polchiz(m): 10:23pm On May 18, 2022
30naira:

True, but in the interim, look at the ones you know, there's always a private hospital where they are getting 50k a month
It is 33k in the North.

Other graduates also gets teaching job that pays between 15-70k while they search for a better job

The country is so bad that nobody is sure of anything.

Even doctors who are gainfully employed are struggling with their poor salary.

Imagine a Prof of Medicine cannot earn up to 700k after income tax and other deduction.
Mind you the Prof might have spent over 25 years in civil service.

Meanwhile, a graduate of CRS with 2.1 can secure a job in the bank and start earning 235k with other allowances and bonuses. Within 5 years, if he/she doesn't get sacked, he/she can become a manager and start earning close to 1 million monthly.

Additionally, a Chemistry/Biochemistry/Microbiology/Chemical Engineering/Food Science and Tech graduate can secure a job in a multinational company and become a manager after training. Immediately, the person is entitled to car grant, housing allowance, production bonus, leave allowance etc. It will shock you to know that, they are already earning more than a Prof of medicine.

There is no automatic ticket to success. If you must succeed, make the best out of every opportunity that comes your way.

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by 2O22(m): 11:13pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

https://www.nairaland.com/2852777/agony-unemployed-medical-graduates-nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/5309606/40-doctors-unemployed-nigeria-nma

The dates of the post you droped is 2016 and 2019 respectively and the statement I dropped is a development that began in 2021.
Go and do your research.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Simeonjoe1: 11:32pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

You have to be careful. This is your destiny and nobody can advise you better than yourself.

Are you passionate about Biochemistry or you just want a discipline that can guarantee you a job?

Why did you study Biochemistry? What is your class of degree?

There are many opportunities for a Biochemistry graduate. However, nepotism in Nigeria MUST affect your chances:

If you graduated with at least a 2:1 and you are 25 years or below then you can easily secure a job in the following organizations if you are good enough to pass Aptitude test & interview:

i. Audit firms: KPMG, ERNST & YOUNG, DELLOITE, PWC
ii. Banks
iii. Food Industries: Nigerian Breweries (M.SC required), Nestle, International Breweries, Coca Cola, Guiness Nigeria
iv. Pharmaceutical Industries as Sales Rep

Alternatively, if you are connected and know a big man in government:
i. Research Institutes (We have more than 30 in Nigeria & Biochemists are well positioned. You start as Research Officer II and grow and become a director)
ii. Monotechnic/Polytechnics as lecturer
iii. Federal Universities as lecturer (M.SC, PhD required)
iv. Government Agencies: DPR (as environmentalist), NSE (Graduate Trainee), NARICT, NILEST, NABDA, NAFDAC etc as Research officers
v. Teacher (PGDE required)

In Nigeria today, no discipline guarantees you a job, Medicine inclusive.

A yoruba graduate may secure a better paying job than a doctor.

I am a passionate Biochemist (B.SC, M.SC). Secured a job 8 months after my M.SC and today, I earn more than a professor of Medicine. Even a Matron cannot come close.

If you are a fresh graduate, it is time to ponder and tell yourself the truth.

You need to be patient, prayerful, diligent, and determined to succeed.

No profession be it Engineering, Nursing, Medicine will guarantee you success.

Biggest lie I've read this year....
Medicine, nursing can guarantee you success if you know what you are doing and you're brilliant in your sphere.

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by jaxxy(m): 2:34am On May 19, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

A friend studied Biochemistry in one of Nigeria's Federal Universities, she has completed NYSC but she does not have a job yet.

Her brother who currently resides in the UK wants her to enrol in a school of Nursing in Nigeria and she is not happy with what her brother wants.

I asked her if her brother's reason is because Nursing is profitable in the UK and she said YES, that's his reason. The goal is that she'd eventually relocate to the the UK.

My concerns are:

1. Why study a course like Biochemistry and go back to a school of Nursing? Aren't there better alternatives?
2. Most of the people I know that attended school of Nursing always go back to the Univeristy for BSc. Nursing.
3. School of Nursing in Nigeria will take her about 3 years and I am sure she will still need to write some exams before she will be able to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK.

Are there possibilities of moving to the UK to study that version of Nigerian School of Nursing? If yes, how expensive is it?

On the other hand, if she's able to go to the UK for her masters, masters in what course can she apply for (please bear in my that she is a Biochemistry graduate) that would give her chances of securing a good job in the UK ( At least, a kind of job that would still make her earn something close to what Nurses earn)?

Please advise. Thank you

I know like 3 gfs doing same thing. They are graduates bt went back to do nursing cos its lucrative abroad and they have a chance of a better future there. uk/US specifically.

It's not a bad plan bt if she has better suggestions or options she can state them yo her brother and then decide which is best.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Hassan2319(m): 5:07am On May 19, 2022
[quote author=Protein0 post=112951020]
Her brother has given her the best advice, however, she is an adult who has the right to do whatever pleases her. I think she's still basking in the euphoria of the "graduate" tag.

Modified: let me explain a bit.

University based nursing leads to d award of RN and BNSc (and at times RM, RPHN).
BNSc, like almost all other undergraduate degrees is an academic qualification while RN is the professional qualification.
However, UK's demands are for professional nurses(not academic nurses) hence the equal recognition given to both.

Now, school of nursing is better in her case because, 3 years is 3years there. In exactly 3 years(with no demotion), she would be done and start processing her UK things. Her other option if she so much hate School of Nursing is going back to the university for BNSC, and ASUU will be smiling @ that rn grin

Once she's in the UK with d School of Nursing certificate, she can run her BNSc there in a year or so while working. Foreign degree cool

Moving to the UK to study Nursing (of whichever version) or for MSc. will be like moving a student whereas moving with school of Nursing RN is like moving a worker. You need to see how some trusts pamper migrant nurses.

Like I said earlier, she is an adult with absolute right to her choices [/quot
Hello
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by wesbrit: 6:22am On May 19, 2022
Yes and prepare well for putme
Bluesearoll:
Can 270 marks (jamb) get you to UI for LAW?
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by obstead200(m): 6:55am On May 19, 2022
kumbhuru:

You are not using your brain. Please use it more. What rubbish did you just type?
You think money grow on trees abroad and its easy to fund education over there?
I won't return Ur insults, I forgive u. My personal opinion here is that if u can leave naija today, why wait for 2mrw?

the fact is, once she can cross over and maybe get her first year fees paid, she can easily fund the rest by herself. My sister is in UK, studying nursing and doing 2 jobs. She is paying her own way through school.
Care giver jobs are in high demand. Student nurses can easily do that and raise good money
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by obstead200(m): 6:59am On May 19, 2022
Moneyyman:
I think that's a harsh thing to say about someone you've never met. Do you know if he's struggling abroad too? UK nursing schools aren't cheap. It is easier to get it done here in 3 years and move.

let her uncle just be kind enough to get her an admission in a cheap school in uk and pay her first tuition. As long as she is not lazy, trust me, she will be ok. She can even gradually repay him for the first year tuition.
My younger sister is an example. She is a computer science graduate. My brother was kind enough to advance her a loan for her first tuition into a UK school for nursing. She is in Uk paying her way through nursing school right now

I repeat, abroad has a way of twisting the brotherhood spirit of most Nigerians.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by egojeny1(f): 9:35am On May 19, 2022
obstead200:
let her uncle just be kind enough to get her an admission in a cheap school in uk and pay her first tuition. As long as she is not lazy, trust me, she will be ok. She can even gradually repay him for the first year tuition.
My younger sister is an example. She is a computer science graduate. My brother was kind enough to advance her a loan for her first tuition into a UK school for nursing. She is in Uk paying her way through nursing school right now

I repeat, abroad has a way of twisting the brotherhood spirit of most Nigerians.
From computer to nursing, how did she do it pls? Will like to know
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Fiscus105(m): 9:41am On May 19, 2022
NemoDatQuod:
I understand where she and her brother are coming from. He wants her to use Nursing as a route to the UK. Her personal sense of self(which is different from person to person) will not let her go to Nursing school after a graduate certificate. She has a right to feel that way. I would not have agreed to do what her brother suggested even if it means starving. Sense of self is sense of self. Period!

If her brother wants to help her, he should pay £4k or £5k for her to study for an Msc in Biomedical Science here in the UK. The total fee for foreign students is about £15k. When she arrives here, she should be prepared to work while studying and pay off what is left of her fees.

With a graduate degree in Biomedical science, the world will be her oyster. Or she can study for a Masters Degree in Public Health!

I don't know who told her brother that being a Nurse in the UK is profitable. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, unless earning £25k to £35k a year alongside long working hours is his idea of profitable.

My two pence!

Here's a link to a uni that offers biomedical science
https://www.uel.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/msc-biomedical-science

Keep on deceving urself oooo

Nursing is most sort for globally, infact far morer than doctor at present.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Giorgia: 10:32am On May 19, 2022
Adaobiii:

Which state are you in

Lagos.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by jane00700: 11:38am On May 19, 2022
Good day everyone. I am writing this to ask for counsel from our experienced and learned friends.
I received training as an auxiliary nurse in 2004, had a bsc in biochemistry. Finished nysc 2015, no form of work till now. Please is there any way forward for me in the nursing profession��
I look forward to hearing from you sirs/ma's.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ghettochild(m): 11:49am On May 19, 2022
Just do it.
MY cousin's wife is now in Nursing school.
She already had a bsc microbiology since 2010..
Biochemistry n mcb are useless in Nigeria
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Babatundeh26: 11:58am On May 19, 2022
When did you graduate from nursing school? Most nursing schools can now present more than 100 students for council exam.
Chinny024:

Goodluck to her...
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Babatundeh26: 12:07pm On May 19, 2022
Earned a degree in Political science and a PGD in Economics, worked for 2 years in bank and later resigned. Presently in my 2nd year in school of nursing and it seems like the best decision I have made yet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Chinny024(f): 12:08pm On May 19, 2022
Babatundeh26:
When did you graduate from nursing school? Most nursing schools can now present more than 100 students for council exam.
Those number that you see writing council have been indexed before then..May be backlogged students...Those that passed resit may be in second yr can have the chance of writing council again with a new set..
Even in the uni,50 students are indexed per yr to curtail the number of nurses graduating per yr and unemployment..

Ask well....You can be up to 200 to sit for council but 50 must be indexed per yr per school..It's a rule.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by kumbhuru: 12:39pm On May 19, 2022
obstead200:

I won't return Ur insults, I forgive u. My personal opinion here is that if u can leave naija today, why wait for 2mrw?

the fact is, once she can cross over and maybe get her first year fees paid, she can easily fund the rest by herself. My sister is in UK, studying nursing and doing 2 jobs. She is paying her own way through school.
Care giver jobs are in high demand. Student nurses can easily do that and raise good money
Stop justifying the rubbish you post. You could afford it doesn't mean his brother can. You saying he's wicked is just so stupid. Abeg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career / Do 60 Sit-ups In 2 Minutes - SA Special Police Force Requirement (PICS) / How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.