Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming (67031 Views)

6 Foods You're Consuming Daily That Are Slowly Destroying Your Kidneys / Is The Sugar In Fruits Good Or Bad For Your Health? / Woman Dies After Consuming Herbal Drugs She Bought To Lighten Her Skin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 2:44pm On May 26, 2023
blaquebelle:

I believe consuming more of complex sugars is much better than the simple sugars contained in the soft drinks. Atleast they are not broken down and used up as fast as simple sugars that just enter directly into the blood stream. So I think I don't agree with your opinion.

Apart from Semo which is made from processed flour, the rest of the meals you mentioned have starch and an appreciable amount of fiber. It makes one full for longer than when you consume something with processed sugars. That might be why they are better rather than worse as you've pointed out.

I might be wrong tho...

And please can you clarify what you mean by normal sugars? Never heard that term before. Or u mean what we know as table sugar?

For your point on malt, are you saying that because maltose is broken down into 2 molecules of glucose then it makes the sugar double the amount? I think sugar content is measured by what it would yield In the body so its all the same🤔

You're wrong.

Sugar is sugar. There's nothing like complex sugar and simple sugar.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by blaquebelle: 2:46pm On May 26, 2023
codemaniacs:

You're wrong.

Sugar is sugar. There's nothing like complex sugar and simple sugar.

LOL!
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 2:48pm On May 26, 2023
Jokerman:

These are natural sugars... Which are better than Semo.

Semo is very bad

Sugar is sugar..

There is nothing like natural sugar.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 2:50pm On May 26, 2023
caprini1:
Make una be calming down,the soda,s we consume in Nigeria is roo watery compared to elsewhere.....not saying excess consumption of it is good; but like every other products in Naija,its all adulterated.

It's not adulterated.

The sodas in Nigeria are too sugary and is very bad for the body.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 2:51pm On May 26, 2023
Anfieldboss:

Your body needs sugar for energy, just be mindful of your intake.

Low sugar level is almost as deadly as high sugar level. Just strike a balance in your sugar intake.

The body does not need sugar for energy.

it needs food for energy.

Stop saying nonsense.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 2:59pm On May 26, 2023
lendahand:
you can't drink water only oga

Once once sugar is good for your brain health. If you engage in much physical activities daily, you're good with a bottle of cola

You can and must drink only water.

Sugar is very bad for your health.

Physical activities won't do anything.

A bottle of cola is very bad.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by projet: 3:01pm On May 26, 2023
ajepako:

You and I would kick the bucket one day

But that doesnt mean we should not take care of our health

You seem like someone whose being very health conscious from the get go...

What would you recommend for someone who has had a fair share of taking sweet things in the past but turning a new leaf now
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 3:05pm On May 26, 2023
SPAMBOX7:
Well most these don't affect people that work-out steady. It's people that ain't into any kind of exercise but taking soda drinks regularly it affects in the long run.

Working out only improves stamina and muscles. It doesn't do anything to sugar.

Stop spreading false information.

Taking soda drinks is deadly whether it's regularly or not.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by philipobiz: 3:06pm On May 26, 2023
pitroski:
Thanks God trophy beer no dey the list posted by OP
The list is much more than what you are seeing. Go to Google and get the facts about trophy beer
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 3:08pm On May 26, 2023
Onelove508:

I'm interested bin the pile herbs
No need for pile herbs.

Stop taking anything that has sugar.

Stop eating anything that contains stew, pepper like jollof rice, white rice and stew, stewed meat, stewed chicken, stewed turkey e.t.c

Stop taking fruits that have lots of sugar like bananas, pawpaw, pepper e.t.c

Drink only water..
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Truthshotcrazy: 3:11pm On May 26, 2023
Silentgroper:

beans is carbohydrate ...

crazy stuff

then do they say the end product of beans is amino acid
◼️Not all starch is rapidly digested to glicose in small intestine
Beans and all legumes are best sources of resistant starch. raw dried legumes have 20-30% resistant starch by weight. It is not metabolised in small intestine.thus reduces amount if glucose released into blood & lowering demand for insulin unlike highly starchy foods eg potatoes, rice & white bread with little resistant starch.
◼️Resistant starch is resistant to digestion and passes into large intestines as food source for healthy bacteria in colon. It acts similar to dietary fiber.
Legumes eg beans, peas, have 20-25%protein by weight; 3x more protein than rice & wheat.
--have dietary fiber 20% of weight
----65-72% by weight of carbohydrates including complex carbohydrates. 85% of the carbs/starch is resistant starch which maintains colon health.
◼️ Fully cooked legumes have 4-5% of total weight as resistant starch.
100g of beans has 154kilocalories; 27% protein; 24%fat; 50% carbs. (Mainly resistant starch).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by OmonnakOdapig: 3:27pm On May 26, 2023
philipobiz:
The list is much more than what you are seeing. Go to Google and get the facts about trophy beer
grin
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by OmonnakOdapig: 3:29pm On May 26, 2023
odenkirk:
thats wont stop u from kicking the bucket
grin quality of life matters. Don’t wanna crawl through life with cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Good health is invaluable! That’s why they say health is wealth
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by OmonnakOdapig: 3:34pm On May 26, 2023
codemaniacs:

There's nothing like natural sugar.

Sugar is sugar.

fruits, dairies contained natural sugar like lactose, fructos are as bad as soft drinks.

Stop saying rubbish.
Stop saying rubbish. Naturally occurring sugar in nature in fruits has lower glycemic index as a result of the good fibers present in fruits . You cannot compare processed table sugar or sugar in generally unhealthy carbonated drinks or nonsense fruit juice with sugar in natural fruit having the plum and all rich fibers to cushion the release of sugar into the bloodstream. It’s for a reason doctors advise to stay away from carbonated drinks and fruit juices and go for nartural fruits instead.

1 Like

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by OmonnakOdapig: 3:40pm On May 26, 2023
Silentgroper:

beans is carbohydrate ...

crazy stuff

then do they say the end product of beans is amino acid
All Starch is not digested to glucose in small intestine.
Ever heard of resistänt starch? Resistant starch is considered both a dietary fiber and functiona fiber, depending on whether it is naturally in foods or added.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/16/ask-the-expert-legumes-and-resistant-starch/

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by ajepako(f): 3:44pm On May 26, 2023
projet:

You seem like someone whose being very health conscious from the get go...

What would you recommend for someone who has had a fair share of taking sweet things in the past but turning a new leaf now

Bros, just drink water

Warm or at room temperature
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 3:53pm On May 26, 2023
OmonnakOdapig:

Stop saying rubbish. Naturally occurring sugar in nature in fruits has lower glycemic index as a result of the good fibers present in fruits . You cannot compare processed table sugar or sugar in generally unhealthy carbonated drinks or nonsense fruit juice with sugar in natural fruit having the plum and all rich fibers to cushion the release of sugar into the bloodstream. It’s for a reason doctors advise to stay away from carbonated drinks and fruit juices and go for nartural fruits instead.

Sugar affects me so I know what I'm saying...

If sugar does not affect you then you have no right to talk about the effects of sugar on people.

Carbonated drinks and natural fruits like bananas are the same and have the same effects.

Stop saying nonsense and stop spreading false information if you are not a victim of the effects of sugar.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by 1Sharon(f): 3:53pm On May 26, 2023
Careente7:
Why be say sweet things no dy ever good? This life sef.

Fruit is sweet and it is naturally good.

2 Likes

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Babastrong(m): 3:56pm On May 26, 2023
[quote author=pafo post=123376744]

Unfathomable bi ti bawo[ Death is a mystery and we die mysteriously.]
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by pocohantas(f): 3:58pm On May 26, 2023
codemaniacs:

You're misinformed..

Kids don't need sugar..

When a black person is under the sun then that person is getting healed and getting vitamin D and other benefits as long as the person doesn't stay in the for too long.

I think you need to get glasses, because while no part of my comment said kids need sugar, there is also nothing wrong in healthy doses of sugar. And yes, kids are generally hyperactive when they take sweetened food. They would be fine all things being equal. Yes, there is organic sugar. You can't compare the sugar in fruits to the one bobo. You are the one that needs to stop quoting everyone with nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by ellizy(m): 4:03pm On May 26, 2023
This is why one need to take Chelsea mini packs
2 very early in the morning
2 in the afternoon, subjected to weather
2 at night
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by OmonnakOdapig: 4:06pm On May 26, 2023
codemaniacs:

Sugar affects me so I know what I'm saying...

If sugar does not affect you then you have no right to talk about the effects of sugar on people.

Carbonated drinks and natural fruits like bananas are the same and have the same effects.

Stop saying nonsense and stop spreading false information if you are not a victim of the effects of sugar.
Ode! Stop spreading nonsense and stop spreading misinformation. Natural fruits have fiber and do not in any way compare with processed sugar in carbonáted drinks in any way, having no fiber So stfu !.
How can you equate a bottle of carbonated drink with 0 fiber with fruit having dietary fiber?

Only diabetics are advised to stay away from HIGH Glycemic index fruits like Bananas (62 GI), mangoes(60 GI), watermelon (76GI) , pineapple (66GI) grapes, and high GI vegetables like Carrots 🥕 etc and go for low GI vegetables ánd low glycemic index fruits like cherries, kiwi fruit, grapefruit, cabbage, broccoli etc

Even beetroots vegetables, is not suitable for somebody with kidney disease or kidney stones who is kidney Ill. Doesn’t make beetroot’s harmful for people with normal kidneys

2 Likes

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 4:11pm On May 26, 2023
pocohantas:

I think you need to get glasses, because while no part of my comment said kids need sugar, there is also nothing wrong in healthy doses of sugar. And yes, kids are generally hyperactive when they take sweetened food. They would be fine all things being equal. Yes, there is organic sugar. You can't compare the sugar in fruits to the one bobo. You are the one that needs to stop quoting everyone with nonsense.

Like I told OmonnakOdapig, "sugar affects me", so if you're not a victim of the effects of sugar then you have no right and moral justification to speak on the effects of sugar.

Kids are naturally hyper without sweet foods it is their nature to be hyper.

There is nothing like organic sugar.

sugar is sugar.

Sugar in fruits is the same as sugar in Bobo.

I am quoting everyone with facts not the nonsense you and OmonnakOdapig are spreading.

A friend of mine lost their 4 years old child due to such mentality..

so when I see such false information I take it personal so that people don't lose their children to such thinking.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 4:13pm On May 26, 2023
OmonnakOdapig:

Ode! Stop spreading nonsense and stop spreading misinformation. Natural fruits have fiber and do not in any way compare with processed sugar in carbonáted drinks in any way, having no fiber So stfu !.
How can you equate a bottle of carbonated drink with 0 fiber with fruit having dietary fiber?

Only diabetics are advised to stay away from high Glycemic index fruits like Bananas (62 GI), mangoes(60 GI), watermelon (76GI) , pineapple (66GI) grapes, and high GI vegetables like Carrots 🥕 etc and go for low GI vegetables ánd low glycemic index fruits like cherries, kiwi fruit, grapefruit, cabbage, broccoli etc

Even beetroots vegetables, is not suitable for somebody with kidney disease or kidney stones who is kidney Ill. Doesn’t make beetroot’s harmful for people with normal kidneys

You're saying rubbish.

Sugar is sugar.

Sugar is deadly.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by pocohantas(f): 4:13pm On May 26, 2023
codemaniacs:

Like I told Omonn akOdapig, "sugar affects me", so if you're not a victim of the effects of sugar then you have no right and moral justification to speak on the effects of sugar..

More of your personal problem. You might have to stop shouting on us and fix your problem.

2 Likes

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 4:20pm On May 26, 2023
pocohantas:

More of your personal problem. You might have to stop shouting on us and fix your problem.

You're an agent that promotes the destruction of Africans and black men.

I hope the money they are paying you is worth it..
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by OmonnakOdapig: 4:32pm On May 26, 2023
codemaniacs:

Like I told OmonnakOdapig, "sugar affects me", so if you're not a victim of the effects of sugar then you have no right and moral justification to speak on the effects of sugar.

Kids are naturally hyper without sweet foods it is their nature to be hyper.

There is nothing like organic sugar.

sugar is sugar.

Sugar in fruits is the same as sugar in Bobo.

I am quoting everyone with facts not the nonsense you and OmonnakOdapig are spreading.

A friend of mine lost their 4 years old child due to such mentality..

so when I see such false information I take it personal so that people don't lose their children to such thinking.
All the fruits and vegetables mentioned have their glycemic indexes boldly highlighted. And only diabetics are advised to stay away from carrots and high GI fruits just as kidney stones patient are advised to stay away from beetroots vegetables.

Codemaniacs I am sorry your ignorance cannot be cured.
You are not a certified doctor but you are on a faceless forum spreading misinformation.

Even if ur friend 4years old child died of cardiovascular disease, or sudden heart attack , you will still jump to a faceless forum to boldly claim the 4years old died of sugar without presenting the dead child official death certificate and AUTOPSY RESULT boldly stating the child died of sugar.

Sugar in natural fruits have dietary fiber unlike added sugars in carbonated drinks with zero fiber. That is why Carbonated drinks are worse than natural fruits. 🔺 Only diabetics and people with insulin resistivity or diagnosed with fatty liver are advised to go for low glycemic index fruits & vegetables in lieu of high GI fruits/veggies. Just as kidney stones sick people have to stay away from beetroots vegetables & people with celiac disease have to avoid even natural foods containing gluten.

◾️Federal Drugs agency advises to limits ADDED sugars to no more than 10% of daily calorific intake or upper limit for an average of 2000kilocalories food intake not more than 200calories or 50g of free sugars daily/12.5 cubes .
One can easily consume more than that 50g on average if he doesn’t watch his diet. Only 100ml can of coke has 10.5g of sugar. 500ml bottle more than 50g
. sugars are not harmful in small amounts to the body, our bodies don’t need added sugars to function properly . Added sugars contribute additional calories and zero nutrients to food.

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/sugar/sugar-101

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by SPAMBOX7: 4:48pm On May 26, 2023
codemaniacs:

Working out only improves stamina and muscles. It doesn't do anything to sugar.

Stop spreading false information.

Taking soda drinks is deadly whether it's regularly or not.
It does lol.
Show me where you got your info from and see mine below. Unless you the type that just love showing off your ignorance online..
If that's the case then don't even bother replying.

Werey said it's deadly even if you don't take it regularly. I don't mean to digress but according to your statement even if you take it once in a year it's still deadly lol. I'd advise you work on your thinking before typing cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by projet: 5:31pm On May 26, 2023
ajepako:

Bros, just drink water

Warm or at room temperature

I think more pragmatic measure is necessitated. Coz the number one thing I do more each day is drinking lots of water. Thanks though.

So you 49? Now
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 5:47pm On May 26, 2023
OmonnakOdapig:

All the fruits and vegetables mentioned have their glycemic indexes boldly highlighted. And only diabetics are advised to stay away from carrots and high GI fruits just as kidney stones patient are advised to stay away from beetroots vegetables.

Sugar in natural fruits have dietary fiber unlike added sugars in carbonated drinks with zero fiber. That is why Carbonated drinks are worse than natural fruits. 🔺 Only diabetics and people with insulin resistivity or diagnosed with fatty liver are advised to go for low glycemic index fruits & vegetables in lieu of high GI fruits/veggies. Just as kidney stones sick people have to stay away from beetroots vegetables & people with celiac disease have to avoid even natural foods containing gluten.

◾️Federal Drugs agency advises to limits ADDED sugars to no more than 10% of daily calorific intake or upper limit for an average of 2000kilocalories food intake not more than 200calories or 50g of free sugars daily/12.5 cubes .
One can easily consume more than that 50g on average if he doesn’t watch his diet. Only 100ml can of coke has 10.5g of sugar. 500ml bottle more than 50g
. sugars are not harmful in small amounts to the body, our bodies don’t need added sugars to function properly . Added sugars contribute additional calories and zero nutrients to food.

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/sugar/sugar-101

You can keep sharing nonsense links that mis-educate people.

You have the right to continue deceiving yourself.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by codemaniacs: 5:48pm On May 26, 2023
SPAMBOX7:
It does lol.
Show me where you got your info from and see mine below. Unless you the type that just love showing off your ignorance online..
If that's the case then don't even bother replying.

Werey said it's deadly even if you don't take it regularly. I don't mean to digress but according to your statement even if you take it once in a year it's still deadly lol. I'd advise you work on your thinking before typing cheesy

I'm talking from experience.

You have the right to continue deceiving yourself.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by kkins25(m): 5:50pm On May 26, 2023
Carbohydrate are sugars, yes, sugar is sugar, but not all sugars are sugars. Pardon the pun
codemaniacs
There are different types of carbohydrates; which are classified based on their complexity (the number of sugar chains).

In line with the context of the thread, we consume three types of carbohydrate:
1. Starch: [/b]This is what we get from rice, beans, millet, corns, etc.
2. [b]Cellulose: [/b]This is what we get from eating green leaves.
3. [b]glycogen:
This type of carbohydrate is found in your chicken, beef, pig, etc.

If you eat any of the above, you'd certainly put on weight, but, they won't harm you like the other type of sugar I am about to mention.

***Note: Eating Rice, Pasta, or Indomie, is not different from drinking coke. More on that later

Now, you see the three I mentioned above, starch, cellulose, and glycogen? They are called Complex sugars. The body takes about 20 minutes to 2 hours to break them down and absorb them. What about fruit juice and coke?

There exist another type of Carbohydrate that we get from coke, Pepsi, sweets, etc. This is the SUGAR causing the commotion now. This particular type of carbohydrate is called gotten from sugar cane. It is called Sucrose. Sucrose is a SIMPLE SUGAR.

Now, we have two types of sugars,
1. Simple sugars: Simple sugars are easy to digest and absorb. Examples, sucrose as seen in sugar cane, fructose as seen in honey, maltose, as seen in milk, glucose as you get from sugar cane, honey, milk, energy drink, alcohol, Rice, spaghetti, Indomie, Pasta some wine, and even fruits. All o them listed in this category raise your blood sugar to extreme levels and quickly. They are harmful.. Mango juice, orange juice, watermelon juice, pawpaw juice, and all other fruit juices will kill you just like sugar cubes will. @IzzyArts
The key word to watch out for is juice. So, on the contrary, Mango fruit, Pawpaw fruit, Orange fruit, will not kill you as fast. I also should mention fatty acid or fat from chicken and meat are deadly too.(GLYCOGEN carbohydrate )

2. Complex Sugars : They are difficult to digest. Examples, Yam, Cassava, pounded yam, fufu, boiled corn, in general starch, then vegetables (Cellulose Carbohydrate).. Eat as much as you like, as long as you do not have any genetic predisposition to diabetes, then you are safe… Why? Imagine I mixed 1 bag of rice with a bag of beans, then say you should handpick the rice from the beans. It is a difficult task, right? That's how the digestive system suffers when you eat complex sugars… Inorder words, it takes longer for the sugar in this category to enter the blood.

***note: if you fry yam, potatoes, or others mentioned above, then, you will get diabetes.

So, In a sense, you are right to say all sugar is sugar, because, sucrose, fructose, glucose, galactose, maltose, lactose, and other carbohydrate polymers are all called SUGARS. But are all sugars harmful? YES and NO. Yes because, all sugars are converted to glucose. NO, because, some sugars take longer to digest than others.

Now, there is one more form of carbohydrate I should mention, That is fibre.. subscribe to know more!
cc: clockwisereport, Harrynight, Acidosis, GeneralPula
, OceanRed,
@ judedwriter, as you grow older, it'll be better to minimize sweat fruits because sugar...

@Usefulsense: vegetagles contain a type of sugar called cellulose. The body cannot digest them. They are safe but, may not provide much energy.

blaquebelle, LeyeWrites, : Yes, malt can give you diabetes, just like coke. The body can break it down easily.. Normal sugars should be unprocessed carbohydrates.

caprini1; sugar is too watery? grin grin grin e go shock you! even diet coke is dangerous!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ekiti Coronavirus Patient Has Been Discharged (Pictures) / 238 New COVID-19 Cases Reported. Total 2170. 352 Discharged. 68 Deaths / Photos Of The UNILAG Student, Tope Who Died After Returning From A Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.