Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,926 members, 7,814,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming (67033 Views)

6 Foods You're Consuming Daily That Are Slowly Destroying Your Kidneys / Is The Sugar In Fruits Good Or Bad For Your Health? / Woman Dies After Consuming Herbal Drugs She Bought To Lighten Her Skin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Allwell96: 10:35am On May 26, 2023
The body need some sugar also, but in moderation.

1 Like

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by JaskanFactor: 10:35am On May 26, 2023
wow thanks for sharing, i need help
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by kabanayol9(m): 10:36am On May 26, 2023
Jennyclay:
I don't really consume soda drinks like that. My favorite drinks are Tiger nut milk drink, Coconut milk and zobo Drink.. And I do make them myself.

My problem here is ketchup. I literally eat most of my meals with ketchup.
Hi Jennyclay
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by BigDawsNet: 10:37am On May 26, 2023
pitroski:
Thanks God trophy beer no dey the list posted by OP
Dey play
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by blaquebelle: 10:39am On May 26, 2023
angelEmade:
...the sugar in a plate of semo,amala, akpu, pounded yam, etc. Will amount to about a box of cube sugars. The irony here is that the glucose and other monosaccharides in these drinks are a form of carbohydrates just like the disaccharides in complex sugars like sucrose (normal sugar)
Although all carbohydrates are reduced to glucose and consequently glycogen which are stored in the liver in complex metabolism reactions in the body, you cannot exactly compare these simple sugars to normal sugars.
And ironically, the malt we so much prefer to soda drinks contain Maltose which are complex sugars. A molecule of maltose can comparatively yield two molecules of monosaccharides in these soda drinks.
My point is that starch and carbohydrates like corn syrups and the foods I mentioned up there are much worse than these drinks. And although their intake should be controlled...it would be a futile endeavour if you keep supplementing them with excess starchy foods.
Malt is not a saviour either.

I believe consuming more of complex sugars is much better than the simple sugars contained in the soft drinks. Atleast they are not broken down and used up as fast as simple sugars that just enter directly into the blood stream. So I think I don't agree with your opinion.

Apart from Semo which is made from processed flour, the rest of the meals you mentioned have starch and an appreciable amount of fiber. It makes one full for longer than when you consume something with processed sugars. That might be why they are better rather than worse as you've pointed out.

I might be wrong tho...

And please can you clarify what you mean by normal sugars? Never heard that term before. Or u mean what we know as table sugar?

For your point on malt, are you saying that because maltose is broken down into 2 molecules of glucose then it makes the sugar double the amount? I think sugar content is measured by what it would yield In the body so its all the samešŸ¤”

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by isabi2lof: 10:40am On May 26, 2023
No wonder agbo Jedi is everywhere
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by BigBen23(m): 10:40am On May 26, 2023
What about Tombo Bitters?
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Exclusive101: 10:40am On May 26, 2023
Then what is ?
If not for watermelon šŸ‰ pilenforndon finish me

angelEmade:

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by WantsandMore: 10:41am On May 26, 2023
suffering:
I exercise a lot so no fear.

This thread means nothing to the average Nigerian. Many of us consume water majorly. Soft drinks are at most three times a week. Go outside the country and see people consuming these things with every meal. Their water tastes boring and cold, the only reason youā€™ll drink it heavily is if youā€™re into sports. To even hydrate daily I had to mix two litres with Ribena.
I don't understand taste boring and cold? Why not mix with cucumber, lemon or lime or even pink salt? The Ribena has little or no difference with what's mentioned above though.

1 Like

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by DrAda(f): 10:42am On May 26, 2023
rickpat:
SUGAR ADDICTION AS DEADLY AS ALCOHOL ADDICTION

#drinkwateronly

Well said
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by highchief1: 10:43am On May 26, 2023
Light78:
I don't drink beer, soft drinks, or wine. Just water.

Guys laugh at me for that.
that no mean say u no go stl die sha

1 Like

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by LeyeWrites: 10:44am On May 26, 2023
angelEmade:
...the sugar in a plate of semo,amala, akpu, pounded yam, etc. Will amount to about a box of cube sugars. The irony here is that the glucose and other monosaccharides in these drinks are a form of carbohydrates just like the disaccharides in complex sugars like sucrose (normal sugar)
Although all carbohydrates are reduced to glucose and consequently glycogen which are stored in the liver in complex metabolism reactions in the body, you cannot exactly compare these simple sugars to normal sugars.
And ironically, the malt we so much prefer to soda drinks contain Maltose which are complex sugars. A molecule of maltose can comparatively yield two molecules of monosaccharides in these soda drinks.
My point is that starch and carbohydrates like corn syrups and the foods I mentioned up there are much worse than these drinks. And although their intake should be controlled...it would be a futile endeavour if you keep supplementing them with excess starchy foods.
This in incorrect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by pafo(m): 10:47am On May 26, 2023
Babastrong:
Gbam! You talked as a chemist.
though i used to be conscious of what i put into my stomach but i don't allow unneccessary fear to restrict me from enjoying this life.
afterall, DEATH Is unfathomable. Either you fear him or not, he will still kill you.

Unfathomable bi ti bawo
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Dickson178(m): 10:47am On May 26, 2023
Thank God juice wrld isn't there.... šŸ˜€
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by LeyeWrites: 10:49am On May 26, 2023
blaquebelle:

I believe consuming more of complex sugars is much better than the simple sugars contained in the soft drinks. Atleast they are not broken down and used up as fast as simple sugars that just enter directly into the blood stream. So I think I don't agree with your opinion.

Apart from Semo which is made from processed flour, the rest of the meals you mentioned have starch and an appreciable amount of fiber. It makes one full for longer than when you consume something with processed sugars. That might be why they are better rather than worse as you've pointed out.

I might be wrong tho...

And please can you clarify what you mean by normal sugars? Never heard that term before. Or u mean what we know as table sugar?

For your point on malt, are you saying that because maltose is broken down into 2 molecules of glucose then it makes the sugar double the amount? I think sugar content is measured by what it would yield In the body so its all the samešŸ¤”
You're not wrong.

The other dude is just churning out fables

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Slurity(m): 10:50am On May 26, 2023
odenkirk:
you are missing a lots infact u r nt enjoying life
You that is enjoying life. what better life do you have better than me?
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by balingaonline(m): 10:53am On May 26, 2023
angelEmade:
Then what do we eat and drink?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by do4luv14(m): 10:55am On May 26, 2023
angelEmade:

What about Rice, beans, and yams

1 Like

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Strafudeen: 10:56am On May 26, 2023
clockwisereport:

You eat rice, yam, cassava, garri?
If yes, you are worse than those that drink soft drinks

Not exactly.

Starch is healthier than refined sugar. Refined sugar causes high cholesterol in addition to other things,...
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by pocohantasgspot: 10:57am On May 26, 2023
pocohantas:

The problem is not just the sugar because our daily meals have sugar content. The problem is Nigerians do not burn this excess sugar. Kids food and drinks contains a lot of sugar because their body metabolism is high and they need the energy to play rough play. You as an adult can't keep up with such level of activity.

The bulk of this sugar has a way of storing themselves in the most unwanted places. Stomach, arms, cheeks...etc. While Nigerians are not obesed, they are quite shapeless. Young girls and guys with flat/toned stomachs and arms are gradually going extinct. All this sufferhead burning under hot sun that leads to athritis, anger and depression doesn't count to me.
tongue

1 Like

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by hardon1(m): 10:59am On May 26, 2023
Uniquetani1:
Naija people like sweet things

We dey learn for where whites dey
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by caprini1: 10:59am On May 26, 2023
Make una be calming down,the soda,s we consume in Nigeria is too watery compared to elsewhere.....not saying excess consumption of it is good; but like every other products in Naija,its all adulterated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by gentlegenius(m): 11:09am On May 26, 2023
Jennyclay:

My problem here is ketchup. I literally eat most of my meals with ketchup.
You have to stop before you become addicted.
Replace it with the healthy drinks you mentioned earlier.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by sangresan(m): 11:09am On May 26, 2023
Acidosis:

Beans is high in Carbohydrates. Your body breaks down the carbohydrate in beans into glucose.

Granulated or a cube of sugar (sucrose) contains both glucose and fructose. This means that the same elements you would find in beans, you would also find in a cube of sugar.

Note: A cube of sugar contains 50% glucose (required for energy) and 50% fructose (might be hard to break down only when taken in "extreme-excess" )

Have you read that the carbohydrate in beans is resistant starch?
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by viodemus: 11:12am On May 26, 2023
I been think to do some health posts, honestly thought of sugar and salts about two days ago, but time no dey, and then you read my mind. I also got discouraged, make I no go dey post pictures, then the Chinese, arab, and their Nigerian counterparts go fit track and verify me with accuracy. As of now, my and close associates programming skills dey work. We can dormant for behind cognitos, leech behind verified number(s), as long as say you no dey thief or do evil to the unassuming person.

back to the topic.

even rice get sugar.

Another deadly one na salt. Maggie, seasoning, salts in general. Na why some people like Himalayan salt.

Too much of everything no good.

For Nigeria, we go swear say we dey eat very healthy, but we dey boil out all the nutrients from our food like vegetables.

If person dey cook my food or if i cook myself, like soup, they know to put my veggies in for two or three minutes, normally sef, I dey like my veggies on the side, so that I go mix am in myself with the hot soup. My vegetables must dey somehow crunchy, so that I go know say e no cook finish, e dey give me the idea say some nutrients still dey stored in it.

Sometimes there are some exceptions, like when I go restaurant.

Latin America loves sugar like crazy.

Anyways, life is short - less than 150years max. So I do me, but with intake guidance.

1 Like

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Moniya4Real(m): 11:14am On May 26, 2023
I beg, leave my Coca Cola alone o. People that donā€™t drink all these kuku Dey die prematurely as well.
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Jokerman(m): 11:14am On May 26, 2023
viodemus:
I been think to do some health posts, honestly thought of sugar and salts about two days ago, but time no dey, and then you read my mind. I also got discouraged, make I no go dey post pictures, then the Chinese, arab, and their Nigerian counterparts go fit track and verify me with accuracy. As of now, my and close associates programming skills dey work. We can dormant for behind cognitos, leech behind verified number(s), as long as say you no dey thief or do evil to the unassuming person.

back to the topic.

even rice get sugar.

Another deadly one na salt. Maggie, seasoning, salts in general. Na why some people like Himalayan salt.

Too much of everything no good.

For Nigeria, we go swear say we dey eat very healthy, but we dey boil out all the nutrients from our food like vegetables.

If person dey cook my food or if i cook myself, like soup, they know to put my veggies in for two or three minutes, normally sef, I dey like my veggies on the side, so that I go mix am in myself with the hot soup. My vegetables must dey somehow crunchy, so that I go know say e no cook finish, e dey give me the idea say some nutrients still dey stored in it.

Sometimes there are some exceptions, like when I go restaurant.

Latin America loves sugar like crazy.

Anyways, life is short - less than 150years max. So I do me, but with intake guidance.

Salt is better than Sugar.

You can never over eat salt
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Jokerman(m): 11:16am On May 26, 2023
ednut1:
Show us sugar in eba , fufu, amala etc. na diabetes go kill this generation sha last last

These are natural sugars... Which are better than Semo.

Semo is very bad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by lastchild: 11:18am On May 26, 2023
i have a question, if there's more sugar in alcohol, why are there people consuming a Crete of blue bottles alcohol everyday, and we thing that people that consume a bottle of coke everyday is at more risk?
Re: Look At All The Sugar You're Consuming by Jokerman(m): 11:20am On May 26, 2023
ednut1:
our forefathers were trekking daily to farms and doing other physical activities so they weā€™re burning the sugar. Today we spend our time on laptops/computers , tv, phones and video games. Consuming these things without burning it. Imagine eating eba and adding 50 cl coke. Then you go and sleep. Slow killer

Our fathers don't eat all the time . Fruits were seasonal at their times, not like today wey fruit full everywhere too grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

238 New COVID-19 Cases Reported. Total 2170. 352 Discharged. 68 Deaths / Photos Of The UNILAG Student, Tope Who Died After Returning From A Club / Lady Shares Before & After Photos Of Her Classmate Who Went 'mentally Deranged'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.