Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,635 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

What Happened After I Lied On My CV - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Happened After I Lied On My CV (30990 Views)

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. / What Happened After I Removed The Lies From My CV / What I Did Yesterday After I Lost My Last N200 During Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by mastercook: 1:36pm On May 22, 2022
MeghaneMorgane:
Congratulations to you. Many people exaggerate their CV.

Infact, remove anything that will give people the impression that you are Nigerian. Use your English name instead of your native name. Immediately you have gotten a chance with the HR, then you can restore to default setting. That is my own take anyway. Job hunting is a very aggressive stage and you need to remove anything that will give people a bias impression of you to the extent that they wouldn’t call you for an interview.
Please for those without english name can they formulate one for themselves and add it to their CV
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Eastcoastboy(m): 1:39pm On May 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Completely agree that it should be made compulsory. Excel and Microsoft word should both be made mandatory. The other day I used mail merge functionality to send out over 10,000 personalised email and the rest of my colleagues in the office I worked for at the time were stunned. I'm like that was very basic stuff and they kept saying I'm a guru. I'm like guru for mail merge? That's to basic abeg

Can the same be replicated on WS word?

1 Like

Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Starz825(m): 1:43pm On May 22, 2022
MeghaneMorgane:

If you go to a new country, even if you have never worked in that country, you need to put that you have some experience working in that country. If not, you don’t really stand a chance.

I’m of the opinion that you should put anything that you think will get you an interview with the HR. Anything at all. When you get to the HR, then the table is set for you to defend everything you wrote on that CV. Also, remove anything that will make anyone prejudge you. For those outside Nigeria, write the name of the school you graduate from but don’t write it is located in Nigeria. You can write the city or state but never write the country.

Infact, remove anything that will give people the impression that you are Nigerian. Use your English name instead of your native name. Immediately you have gotten a chance with the HR, then you can restore to default setting. That is my own take anyway. Job hunting is a very aggressive stage and you need to remove anything that will give people a bias impression of you to the extent that they wouldn’t call you for an interview.
Your head dey there
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Stallionhorse: 1:43pm On May 22, 2022
Eastcoastboy:

"I made it then I faked it."

-J'cole.
thats j'Cole his not a Nigerian suffering under bihari's government.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by faithfull18(f): 1:57pm On May 22, 2022
Hahaha, before they could change their mind. Confidence alone is a major.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Whatshallido: 2:22pm On May 22, 2022
Desammyst:
So in essence, you lied to get a job... Waow, and I see people congratulating you... My brother, the truth is that you've started that job on a faulty foundation. The Holy Bible says, "No other foundation ought any to lay, except that which is laid by Jesus Christ", which is the foundation of truth.
Repent of your sins and make restitution. God will surely pardon you. Shalom!

Go away jor! The bro didn't commit any sin. The same Bible says wisdom is the principal of all things.
You have to lie and defend your lies in this country to survive.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Henryifi: 2:30pm On May 22, 2022
Mystery2020:
After job hunting for a while, I saw a thread on Nairaland (some of those how to write a CV topics) where applicants with gaps in their CVs were advised to fill them up anyhow with anything they can defend. The poster authoritatively said such applicants stand no chance of getting a job.

So I took the advice because of my past experiences, some of which I have shared here

and here.

Also read: https://www.nairaland.com/7117921/8-things-need-survive-banker#112665995

https://www.nairaland.com/7103678/toxicity-score-various-occupations-sectors

Then, I continued the journey after rewritting my CV by 'filling the gaps'.

Boom! I was called for an interview at the very first place I applied to with this doctored CV. I passed the first stage with the HR. I was quizzed thoroughly during the second stage (panel interview) with the line manager & supervisor. They kept going back and forth on those things I claimed in my CV. They had doubts, but I remained calm and relaxed.

Days later, I got a call from the HR to come for stage three with one of the directors. The caller said I should relax that it is nothing serious. I became anxious. Why would the HR say something like that and why didn't they send an email like they have always done? I asked myself.

I met some others too and was the last to be interviewed. The director decided to test me hands-on on some of the things I claimed to have done or able to do. I knew it was a setup, because they ought to have done this in previous stages. But I remained calm. I did what the director requested and I left.

The following week, they called me on phone again to come. Immediately I got there, I took the letter and quickly acknowledge receipt before they could change their minds. This was how I got the job.

How much is the take home of the job?
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Eastcoastboy(m): 2:30pm On May 22, 2022
Stallionhorse:
thats j'Cole his not a Nigerian suffering under bihari's government.

"Why fake it, when you can make it. "

-Anonymous.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Tribalism123(m): 2:35pm On May 22, 2022
My CV I wrote Buhari is a curse and I can defend that one wella
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Abidecdrock(m): 3:04pm On May 22, 2022
Adding skill is different from CV paddling (as someone stated earlier. Be careful of paddling work experience. Was interviewed last month and the panel asked me to drop a contact from each of the places I listed on my CV. I did that confidently and one of the places I worked for just 4 months was the contact they decided to call. If you are learning a skill or already learnt it and can defend then you can include it.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by airsaylongcome: 3:15pm On May 22, 2022
Eastcoastboy:

Can the same be replicated on WS word?

I don't know what WS Word is.

The mail merge feature of MS Word relies on MS Outlook to send the emails

2 Likes

Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Eastcoastboy(m): 3:37pm On May 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I don't know what WS Word is.

The mail merge feature of MS Word relies on MS Outlook to send the emails

Ok
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by jesmond3945: 3:37pm On May 22, 2022
Mystery2020:
After job hunting for a while, I saw a thread on Nairaland (some of those how to write a CV topics) where applicants with gaps in their CVs were advised to fill them up anyhow with anything they can defend. The poster authoritatively said such applicants stand no chance of getting a job.

So I took the advice because of my past experiences, some of which I have shared here

and here.

Also read: https://www.nairaland.com/7117921/8-things-need-survive-banker#112665995

https://www.nairaland.com/7103678/toxicity-score-various-occupations-sectors

Then, I continued the journey after rewritting my CV by 'filling the gaps'.

Boom! I was called for an interview at the very first place I applied to with this doctored CV. I passed the first stage with the HR. I was quizzed thoroughly during the second stage (panel interview) with the line manager & supervisor. They kept going back and forth on those things I claimed in my CV. They had doubts, but I remained calm and relaxed.

Days later, I got a call from the HR to come for stage three with one of the directors. The caller said I should relax that it is nothing serious. I became anxious. Why would the HR say something like that and why didn't they send an email like they have always done? I asked myself.

I met some others too and was the last to be interviewed. The director decided to test me hands-on on some of the things I claimed to have done or able to do. I knew it was a setup, because they ought to have done this in previous stages. But I remained calm. I did what the director requested and I left.

The following week, they called me on phone again to come. Immediately I got there, I took the letter and quickly acknowledge receipt before they could change their minds. This was how I got the job.
the original konja master
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by FlyingKing: 3:39pm On May 22, 2022
Wow.... Big congrats to man.

God that yours will do mine soon in Jesus name.

Thanks for the update.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by jesmond3945: 3:42pm On May 22, 2022
MeghaneMorgane:

If you go to a new country, even if you have never worked in that country, you need to put that you have some experience working in that country. If not, you don’t really stand a chance.

I’m of the opinion that you should put anything that you think will get you an interview with the HR. Anything at all. When you get to the HR, then the table is set for you to defend everything you wrote on that CV. Also, remove anything that will make anyone prejudge you. For those outside Nigeria, write the name of the school you graduate from but don’t write it is located in Nigeria. You can write the city or state but never write the country.

confirm.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Bbbw: 4:39pm On May 22, 2022
Oh
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by phemmyfour: 6:31pm On May 22, 2022
I did something like that in my first job, had little idea about the core requirements yet got the job ahead of those with 2-3 yrs experience. I later turned down the offer due to the poor pay, and that was when I knew that they couldn't afford those guys with vast experience in that field

2 Likes

Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Niom(m): 6:40pm On May 22, 2022
Orire01:
OK

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.
Details on my signature

https://www.nairaland.com/5933035/deal-breaker-affordable-cheap-laptops/25#111110056

2gb and 120 hard drive for 65K. nai be affordable

Fear God mbok...
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by jackie111(m): 6:42pm On May 22, 2022
Ok.
petrusevents:
I was interviewing a guy for the position of Quality Assurance Officer in my company
Na so the guy go fabricate experiences con put am say he has worked with my formal company.
Na so I start to they ask questions , this guy fall my hands, he didn't do his homework well.
And that's how he lost the job.

Please only put what you can defend in your cv especially if you are looking for job in the manufacturing sector.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Orire01(m): 7:09pm On May 22, 2022
Niom:

2gb and 120 hard drive for 65K. nai be affordable

Fear God mbok...

Nah only that one dey there? I guess you didn't see the negotiable there abi?
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by crackhouse(m): 8:12pm On May 22, 2022
Do we call this a good lie? I thought lying is bad. What do we call this lie now.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by greggng: 9:13pm On May 22, 2022
All of you padding your cv will go to HELL
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by adespy(m): 11:58pm On May 22, 2022
So can one lie about educational background...would they know if it's a fake result?
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Blastedholligan: 11:59pm On May 22, 2022
Hmmmmm...well congrats. You can still be doing crypto side hustle on Yellow card. Get the best rate on Bitcoin ever

Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Bankowner: 3:46am On May 23, 2022
We are in the information age where everything and anything you need or want to know is a click of the keypad away.

I know of a guy here in Canada who got a high profile job in information technology (java) despite not having any degree or formal training in it.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by jimcaddy(m): 4:09am On May 23, 2022
It's not today that they have been doctoring CV

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by petrusevents(m): 6:04am On May 23, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You sef fall my full shoulder

Hey thanks for the correction
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by petrusevents(m): 6:06am On May 23, 2022
pek:
Please, what do you mean by "formal" company?

Former

Thanks for the correction
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by sw24(f): 10:47am On May 23, 2022
[quote author=Mystery2020 post=113032452 congratulations man.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Acidosis(m): 10:52am On May 23, 2022
You can't fake a skill but you can fake where and places you have applied the skill. Places you can defend o.
Re: What Happened After I Lied On My CV by Oshin56(m): 6:29pm On May 23, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Completely agree that it should be made compulsory. Excel and Microsoft word should both be made mandatory. The other day I used mail merge functionality to send out over 10,000 personalised email and the rest of my colleagues in the office I worked for at the time were stunned. I'm like that was very basic stuff and they kept saying I'm a guru. I'm like guru for mail merge? That's to basic abeg
bro, please what's mail merge?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How I Lost A Beautiful Job Opportunity Carelessly / Now That Things Are Expensive, How Do You Manage Your Salary / Urgent Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.