Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC (28629 Views)

Ican Or Bsc Conversion Or Pgd / Please I'm Hnd Graduate And I Have Done My Nysc, So I Want To Start Ican. Please / Opinion Needed For A Future: Direct Entry Or PGD Or Masters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by PKURLINZ: 7:27pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:

Thanks alot. Was having problem in deciding which course to go for because accounting is a professional course unlike statistics.

Statistics is a very good course.
if you should ask me, I will choose Statistics to Accounting..... E get why
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by lakefist(m): 7:40pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
Please

Leave those certificates. Learn marketable skills.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by silibaba: 7:40pm On May 30, 2022
CrazyMan:

My dear Nigeria of today isn't where you'll be running from institution to institution looking for degrees. There are no jobs.

You already have your HND, if you must further, go for PGD then Msc, forget about acquiring another Bsc. Cos your Msc would cover for it.

Also, like a poster suggested, learn IT, the world is going digital. And if you don't develop yourself to remain relevant, you'll be left behind despite being an apt accumulator of degree certificates.
no need for pgd self. Some shools in Canada will give him admission for a masters course.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Yusufisraelj(m): 7:51pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.
I'm 23years of age, I have HND in statistics (Distinction), done with NYSC program, I want to further my studies but I'm really confused what to do,

1. I don't know whether to opt in for PGD or BSC(Through Direct Entry).

2. I don't know if I should switch course, from statistics to accounting via Direct Entry and I don't know if HND statistics will be accepted into accounting.
Please I seriously need your opinion and advise on it.

The dicotmy between degree and Bsc had been void by law, recently.

But if you must pursue higher education go for master's. But first do you have a skill? And what career do you plan to build in?
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by sammily(m): 7:53pm On May 30, 2022
koldej:
It depends on you, let me tell you something some people will ask you why do you need to run a Bsc programme again when you have an HND? they will question your self esteem
I'm also in your shoes.. but this is what I have come to realise so far
1) HND or BSc.. there is no job out there
2) HND or BSc the organization doesn't care, in as much as you know your job
3)YES! HND in statistics qualifies you for direct entry into Accounting
But!
There are some opportunities you will not get if you don't have a degree
There are some chances you will not get to prove yourself if you dont have a degree
There are some interviews you will not get if you don't have a degree

The bottom line is that being successful in your career path is not dependent on whether you have an HND or BSc.

As an HND holder, I will say I've never been out of job since I graduated 2years ago, but the truth is there are better opportunities I have missed out on due to the fact that I don't have a degree, I'm currently trying to run a conversion programme in a course related to my field.

@23 you are still very young, please opt for direct entry if you are from @least a average family who are willing to support you for the next 2-3years again, if not you can try conversion programme, this will give you the opportunity to work and continue schooling at the same time.

But please in whatever decision you take, go and learn IT, I sincerely believe you will do very well in coding or data analysis.

If you don't mind we can be friends

Which of the schools are you running your conversion program, hope the course is accredited. Is there any sch you can recommend in Lagos or environ.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Thomthom(m): 7:57pm On May 30, 2022
BigDawsNet:

Some Private University in nigeria will get him 300leve start with HND certificate
OK I Dnt know abt the private University stuff.. but it will b a very nice one.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Wwwq: 8:04pm On May 30, 2022
Another bsc offcourse

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by barnny(m): 8:17pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.
I'm 23years of age, I have HND in statistics (Distinction), done with NYSC program, I want to further my studies but I'm really confused what to do,

2. I don't know if I should switch course, from statistics to accounting via Direct Entry and I don't know if HND statistics will be accepted into accounting.

Chat me up on WhatsApp if you don't mind. Zero eight zero, triple six, five four one six nine
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 8:38pm On May 30, 2022
Wow
I'm having it hard in deciding because accounting is a professional course unlike statistics

quote author=PKURLINZ post=113321279]

if you should ask me, I will choose Statistics to Accounting..... E get why[/quote]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by PKURLINZ: 9:03pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
Wow
I'm having it hard in deciding because accounting is a professional course unlike statistics
quote author=PKURLINZ post=113321279]

if you should ask me, I will choose Statistics to Accounting..... E get why

No problem Sha
But I think Statistics has an upper hand wen compared to accounting.....

I rest my case
If you wanna go for Accounting, carry go (Success to you)
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Bigpat: 9:05pm On May 30, 2022
You don't understand what you have and the body language of most employers if there are jobs, it is about what you can do, your ability, your value, really the certificates is not the issue, employers requires the two but exams are most time set, that is when HND guys reap the benefits, cos they are more grounded practically and not with incessant ASUU strike that makes them Chun out half baked graduates. Instead of waisting the years for Bsc, go for PGD, then Masters, upgrade and acquire IT knowledge, then you will be an authority. Get exposed to freelancing, there are jobs online, get mentorship, you will do well on so many jobs platforms like Fiverr, Upwork, and a host of others. No jobs around in Nigeria.
Another option is think and identify what you love to do best, build on it, start little and with prayer, see what God will do for you, you will forget employment/HND/BSC, rather you will be an employer of HND/BSC, who is trying to lose focus hoping on jobs that are not there.
Again, if you are not cool with all the suggestions, going for Bsc will not kill you either, at least you will be at peace with yourself over the vacuum you feel the lack of degree has in you, since you are still young, except that your 3yrs in the university may end up 6yrs, as ASUU will ensure it is so.

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by bunsuq: 9:32pm On May 30, 2022
lomprico:

Why waste time on BSc, she can do pgd one yr and start masters afterwards.

Yes, you can do. But post graduate diploma is still a diploma. Lack of Bsc will always come to haunt you as policy cannot even equate HND and Bsc. Their will always be disparity.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by lomprico(m): 9:40pm On May 30, 2022
bunsuq:

Yes, you can do. But post graduate diploma is still a diploma. Lack of Bsc will always come to haunt you as policy cannot even equate HND and Bsc. Their will always be disparity.

Not when you have masters to back it up
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Lastic: 9:41pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.

Let me start by congratulating you for graduating with distinction. Secondly, it is good that you are setting sight on progressing academically. there are two side to your future; studying in Nigeria or abroad. if you intend to study in Nigeria then go for a Bsc dont consider PGD, it will hunt you later in the future. But if you intend to study abroad then you can write GRE and apply to any university in the USA, that will guarantee you straignt admission for Msc. I also did HND and currently on PhD. the choice is yours.

2 Likes

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 9:45pm On May 30, 2022
[Thanks for the advice

uote author=Lastic post=113325100]
Let me start by congratulating you for graduating with distinction. Secondly, it is good that you are setting sight on progressing academically. there are two side to your future; studying in Nigeria or abroad. if you intend to study in Nigeria then go for a Bsc dont consider PGD, it will hunt you later in the future. But if you intend to study abroad then you can write GRE and apply to any university in the USA, that will guarantee you straignt admission for Msc. I also did HND and currently on PhD. the choice is yours.[/quote]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 9:46pm On May 30, 2022
[quote author=PKURLINZ post=113324038]

No problem Sha
But I think Statistics has an upper hand wen compared to accounting.....

I rest my case
If you wanna go for Accounting, carry go (Success to you)

Thanks for the advice.
I'm grateful �

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by uche393: 10:13pm On May 30, 2022
guy learn programming and switch to data science you can never go wrong on it, if you can work on it you can get a job that can help you relocate a better country where you can do msc.

you don't need pgd to do msc with ur hnd in US. just seek for the best because you deserve it. with maths or statistics + data science you will be hot cake.

doing an abroad Masters is the best thing that can happen to you because you will see relevant and specific courses to choose from.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by BigDawsNet: 10:26pm On May 30, 2022
Thomthom:
OK I Dnt know abt the private University stuff.. but it will b a very nice one.

It's better.. and faster

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by samwash(m): 11:00pm On May 30, 2022
Nobody care abt your degree, what they want is to get the job done. Fine!!
But if you have the opportunity to work in an organization whether private & government believe me the salary will not be the same. The Bsc degree will always earn more than the HND even if they do the same task, the HND will always play second fider to the Bsc.
This is abt the money, thats d Koko.

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by lordally(m): 11:12pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.

Please I beg you in the name of God...go I to IT , you'll do well... There's no job out there o!!!

Take the IT skill just as if you're going back to school and in less than a year you'll get a good job. You're a female and it's easier for Females to break into tech than males... I'm begging you below are the as I suggest

UIUX design
Front End Development
Back end development
DevOps

Make a research on them and go with one you fe Alligns with some or a lil part of your personality please I take God beg you....
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by ladychioma: 11:50pm On May 30, 2022
Just do PGD and start your M.Sc
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by yuzjet(m): 12:41am On May 31, 2022
sammily:

Which of the schools are you running your conversion program, hope the course is accredited. Is there any sch you can recommend in Lagos or environ.

Crescent University, Abeokuta offers such program. Within 2years, you are done.

You can PM me for more enquiry.

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Beress(m): 12:49am On May 31, 2022
My advice

Go for PGD in Economics and do your Masters afterwards. Three years is enough for both programs. And you will be a Mastets holder in Economics. Great course I must say
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by ksjmode: 1:54am On May 31, 2022
My advice. The fact that you graduated with Distinction shows how academically sound you're.
I will urge you to find ANY recognized University private or public that offers DIRECT ENTRY to 300 Level of a four-year program at BSc.
I get the argument of your self esteem some people are making but my brother/sister.
It may take an extra one semester but your chances are LIMITLESS afterwards once you have BSc.. And if you work at it you're likely to graduate with a FIRST CLASS.
I don't want to start telling you your roadblocks with compiling HND, Pgd, MSc.
Save yourself the stress.
I have HND, Pgd, and also BSc(UK degree) and I know why I had to advice you on this.

LEADS University in Ibadan is a good example and many of the UK Universities allows you to enrol into their 300 Level (final year) called Top-up degree with honors

2 Likes

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by bunsuq: 4:44am On May 31, 2022
lomprico:

Not when you have masters to back it up
It is smarter to go for BSc. The Wok industry isn't smiling. It is always better on the long run.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by koldej(m): 5:49am On May 31, 2022
sammily:

Lagos state University(LASU)
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by cmoney22222: 7:16am On May 31, 2022
koldej:
pls can you drop more inform on this pls? Like the cost and enrollment

Lagos state University(LASU)
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Realboygenius(m): 8:35am On May 31, 2022
You can go for your post graduate diploma then move for your masters later. Meanwhile you can now monitor your health just from your wrist with the Oraimo Smart Watch.

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Lukaku12: 3:08pm On May 31, 2022
Nozino:

Your suggestion is flawed. If you want to compare, compare HND and ICAN with Bsc and ICAN.
i made the correction...i said if a graduate has HND and ICAN, he has a better priviledge/opportunity over someone with just a Bsc accounting
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Smartwave: 9:05pm On May 31, 2022
HND/Bsc conversion programme is purely design by NUC for HND holder to upgrade to Degree programme. Is just two years programme. ( In fact, it's not a full time programme, mostly Friday/Saturday, (twice in a month). School like Kwara state university, LAUTH Ogbomoso, Almost all private universities in south are doing it.

As you study statistics in your HND, you are allow to change to either Computer Science, Mathematics.
It's so flexible, school fees is avoidable.
Well, i did mine, at Joseph Ayo Babalola University, ikeji Arakeji Osun state. It is very interesting.
The school fees is so flexible, you pay as you love.

( I spent just one year, seven months).

I know uniport also doing it.

You can tell me where you based, i will guide to the best university nearby.

quote author=Pearl1212 post=113312713]
I will like to be enlightened on this.
Thanks.

quote author=Smartwave post=113312349]. Go for HND/Bsc conversion programme.

Is just two years programme.

Mostly, weekend ( Fri and sat.) .

If you need more light?? Let mr know.

Don't try PGD, it will only waste your time and money.[/quote]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Smartwave: 9:06pm On May 31, 2022
Pearl1212:

I will like to be enlightened on this.
Thanks.

quote author=Smartwave post=113312349]. Go for HND/Bsc conversion programme.

Is just two years programme.

Mostly, weekend ( Fri and sat.)

If you need more light?? Let mr know.

Don't try PGD, it will only waste your time and money.
HND/Bsc conversion programme is purely design by NUC for HND holder to upgrade to Degree programme. Is just two years programme. ( In fact, it's not a full time programme, mostly Friday/Saturday, (twice in a month). School like Kwara state university, LAUTH Ogbomoso, Almost all private universities in south are doing it.

As you study statistics in your HND, you are allow to change to either Computer Science, Mathematics.
It's so flexible, school fees is avoidable.
Well, i did mine, at Joseph Ayo Babalola University, ikeji Arakeji Osun state. It is very interesting.
The school fees is so flexible, you pay as you love.

( I spent just one year, seven months).

I know uniport also doing it.

You can tell me where you based, i will guide to the best university nearby.

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by bunsuq: 7:26am On Jun 01, 2022
ksjmode:
My advice. The fact that you graduated with Distinction shows how academically sound you're.
I will urge you to find ANY recognized University private or public that offers DIRECT ENTRY to 300 Level of a four-year program at BSc.
I get the argument of your self esteem some people are making but my brother/sister.
It may take an extra one semester but your chances are LIMITLESS afterwards once you have BSc.. And if you work at it you're likely to graduate with a FIRST CLASS.
I don't want to start telling you your roadblocks with compiling HND, Pgd, MSc.
Save yourself the stress.
I have HND, Pgd, and also BSc(UK degree) and I know why I had to advice you on this.

LEADS University in Ibadan is a good example and many of the UK Universities allows you to enrol into their 300 Level (final year) called Top-up degree with honors

Wish I can give you a million likes. You said it all. First degree will always matter whether you have pgd or masters in admission. I work in HR and I know why I am saying so. On the field of work, recruiters will specify, first degree! Few accept HND. But with BSc conversion, you become limitless. How many HND get scholarship positions, even in addition to your pgd and masters.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Dangote Oil Refinery: Graduate Engineer Trainees Return After Overseas Training / Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest / Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.