Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC (28435 Views)

Ican Or Bsc Conversion Or Pgd / Please I'm Hnd Graduate And I Have Done My Nysc, So I Want To Start Ican. Please / Opinion Needed For A Future: Direct Entry Or PGD Or Masters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by babadee1(m): 2:17pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.
I'm 23years of age, I have HND in statistics (Distinction), done with NYSC program, I want to further my studies but I'm really confused what to do,

1. I don't know whether to opt in for PGD or BSC(Through Direct Entry).

2. I don't know if I should switch course, from statistics to accounting via Direct Entry and I don't know if HND statistics will be accepted into accounting.
Please I seriously need your opinion and advise on it.

What do you enjoy doing? What are your primary goals for your future?
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:18pm On May 30, 2022
[quote author=Localemperor post=113311753]

Dear OP,

let me tell you something a person with HND with no hope or chance of getting a BSC will never tell you. There is a lot of humiliation that comes with an HND result even with a distinction.

A lot of people make distinction in polytechnics nowadays which further goes along way to batter the credibility of the system ( no disrespect to those on merit).

I have people with HND results and who had wished they had obtained their BSC after their ND but now they would have to live with the stigma and traumatizing experience all their life. I also went to a polytechnic for my ND before I was forced through economy and financial blockage to get a direct entry form because I was hell bent on going for HND( everybody was against me going for HND). I thought I was been punished because my class mates as at then had all been admitted for HND1 while I had to start from 200level.

But over the years my dear, looking back now all I could do was shade tears of joy for all the guidance and mentorship I had receive then.

I am about to write my final exams before they went on strike. And do you know the funny thing here? My class mates at poly ( some) came back after NYSC for BSC through DE. And they are in 200level, the same department and I have been putting them through because there was a lot of task ahead for them.

They always say," I wish I was you, or I wish I had taken this step long time ago"...

OP if you wish to run a DE into UNN and you need all the direction and requirements pls do not hesitate to let me know.

Yours Best Friend
Local emperor.

Thanks for the advice.
Please your WhatsApp number or call number please.

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by PKURLINZ: 2:18pm On May 30, 2022
koldej:

@23 you are still very young, please opt for direct entry if you are from @least a average family who are willing to support you for the next 2-3years again, if not you can try conversion programme, this will give you the opportunity to work and continue schooling at the same time.

Go for Direct entry, apply for statistics... It's a very nice course.

My opinion
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Acidbath: 2:19pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.
I'm 23years of age, I have HND in statistics (Distinction), done with NYSC program, I want to further my studies but I'm really confused what to do,

2. I don't know if I should switch course, from statistics to accounting via Direct Entry and I don't know if HND statistics will be accepted into accounting.

I will advise you to secure a job with your HND at your age. It will be easier for you now.

You can always go back to school and upgrade from there if you wish.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:20pm On May 30, 2022
[quote author=BigDawsNet post=113309054] You are still young

For Nigeria education
Go for direct entry with your HNd... you maybe lucky to start with 300level

For Outside education
Apply for a fresh degree in Mathematics or computer science in Canada or Australia...

Goodluck.

Thanks alot dear for the advice.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by micxwell(m): 2:20pm On May 30, 2022
koldej:
It depends on you, let me tell you something some people will ask you why do you need to run a Bsc programme again when you have an HND? they will question your self esteem
I'm also in your shoes.. but this is what I have come to realise so far
1) HND or BSc.. there is no job out there
2) HND or BSc the organization doesn't care, in as much as you know your job
3)YES! HND in statistics qualifies you for direct entry into Accounting
But!
There are some opportunities you will not get if you don't have a degree
There are some chances you will not get to prove yourself if you dont have a degree
There are some interviews you will not get if you don't have a degree

The bottom line is that being successful in your career path is not dependent on whether you have an HND or BSc.

As an HND holder, I will say I've never been out of job since I graduated 2years ago, but the truth is there are better opportunities I have missed out on due to the fact that I don't have a degree, I'm currently trying to run a conversion programme in a course related to my field.

@23 you are still very young, please opt for direct entry if you are from @least a average family who are willing to support you for the next 2-3years again, if not you can try conversion programme, this will give you the opportunity to work and continue schooling at the same time.

But please in whatever decision you take, go and learn IT, I sincerely believe you will do very well in coding or data analysis.

If you don't mind we can be friends
I was going to say he has no need for those now. The bolded should be prioritized.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:21pm On May 30, 2022
PKURLINZ:

Go for Direct entry, apply for statistics... It's a very nice course.

My opinion

Thanks alot. Was having problem in deciding which course to go for because accounting is a professional course unlike statistics.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:23pm On May 30, 2022
[quote author=kurlz post=113310947]

Go for direct entry. Bsc. Even if its starting all over again in another course do it. I still regret doing PGD today. I wish I knew better when younger. Many of my mates that we did PGD together have gone back for bsc now. Don't ever be tempted to do that PGD shit. If It's not Bsc it can never be Bsc. The discrimination of HND and regret aftermath no be here. Having Bsc And HND will be an advantage for you at the long run. There are some opportunities abroad (Jobs, scholarships or even further studies) or some other vital Places, its BSC they want, You are still young some your age are still in school so no qualms.[ Thanks alot for the advice.]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:25pm On May 30, 2022
victorsola:
go to uk for direct masters.

Going to UK for masters is quite expensive oh....no money for that now and getting scholarship with HND is difficult.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:26pm On May 30, 2022
I'm in Benin...please your WhatsApp or call number please.

osazsky:
handwork..if u dey benin contact me
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by MilitantAtheist: 2:27pm On May 30, 2022
Localemperor:

I feel my miserable family's pain Bro!!
poor jobless bastard, a successful young man like me feel no pain except having problem of shortage of Agro raw materials these periods. come and see my achievement at 25. Visit Me @ O2 farms Asaba or O2 livestock centre Ughelli both in Delta. You need a job, I know your prostitute mother still feeds you from her prostitution, but I don't feel your pain. Sorry mehn
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by DMainMan: 2:27pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.

Again. These will help you if you want to obtain scholarship in USA or Canada as an HND graduate.

https://www.nairaland.com/7152889/hnd-graduate-want-get-scholarship
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:27pm On May 30, 2022
I be girl
Thanks for the advice.

wasi9ice:
Go and learn work Oga , plenty certificate isn't a guarantee to success anymore

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:28pm On May 30, 2022
I be girl
Thanks for the advice.

Drefaithful:

Young man go for your Bsc and thank me later.
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by DMainMan: 2:28pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:

Going to UK for masters is quite expensive oh....no money for that now and getting schoolarship with HND is difficult.

Check the full scholarship option for USA and Canada schools.

https://www.nairaland.com/7152889/hnd-graduate-want-get-scholarship
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:29pm On May 30, 2022
Okay dear. Thanks alot.

Emerie22:
Since you have HND, go for Direct entry or u do ICAN
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Smartwave: 2:29pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.

. Go for HND/Bsc conversion programme.

Is just two years programme.

Mostly, weekend ( Fri and sat.)

If you need more light?? Let mr know.

Don't try PGD, it will only waste your time and money.

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:30pm On May 30, 2022
[Thanks alot dear.
I'm grateful

quote author=BuhariNaWah post=113309483]

If you are on Twitter, start from here.
twitter.com/wakawaka_doctor/status/1488766313262686210?t=2vAsyGerwsW3WGVHL0hl4Q&s=19

Let her get TEFL certification if she can.
From the urls listed on that tweet, borderlink replies faster, and are taking for next year academic session.
Just fill the application form on their website, that will contact you for interview in probably a month time.
She should also get her CV polished with a photo on it (canva app can do this easily).
She does not need any teaching experience to get the job.

Goodluck[/quote]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:30pm On May 30, 2022
[Thanks alot...im grateful

quote author=DMainMan post=113312331]

Check the full scholarship option for USA and Canada schools.

https://www.nairaland.com/7152889/hnd-graduate-want-get-scholarship[/quote]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Localemperor: 2:32pm On May 30, 2022
[quote author=Pearl1212 post=113312056][/quote] I will quote you in another section and a dead thread so we can exchange number then delete on time
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:36pm On May 30, 2022
Okay dear

quote author=Localemperor post=113312442] I will quote you in another section and a dead thread so we can exchange number then delete on time[/quote]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by MadeMan01(m): 2:37pm On May 30, 2022
Get professional certification
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Kennyquestt: 2:38pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.

Going for a PGD or Bsc after your HND is not a bad idea, but what do you want to achieve with it?
Have you studied the opportunities of getting a job with your HND in the present labour market?
Have you assessed the opportunities of getting a job with PGD if there is any?
What is the Bsc going to offer you?
My advice to you is to do an evaluation of your HND qualification Vis a viz what it can offer you in the labour market.
Has technology taken over your Field? If so invest time in learning the new technological trends of your Field, upskill your self,be informed and I bet you,you will be able to make better decisions for your self.
Build a strong CV from practical learning not academic learning.
Consider professional exams in your field and you will in a very short time become an authority in your field.
As a statistician go and learn data science, you will be very relevant in many organisations.

3 Likes

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:39pm On May 30, 2022
Presently anything that will put a big smile on
my face in 3 to 4 years time is what I will enjoy doing oh

My primary goal is to be able to build a successful career that will pay well in future.

quote author=babadee1 post=113312022]

What do you enjoy doing? What are your primary goals for your future?[/quote]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:42pm On May 30, 2022
Thanks alot for the advice. I will definitely look into data science.

quote author=Kennyquestt post=113312583]

Going for a PGD or Bsc after your HND is not a bad idea, but what do you want to achieve with it?
Have you studied the opportunities of getting a job with your HND in the present labour market?
Have you assessed the opportunities of getting a job with PGD if there is any?
What is the Bsc going to offer you?
My advice to you is to do an evaluation of your HND qualification Vis a viz what it can offer you in the labour market.
Has technology taken over your Field? If so invest time in learning the new technological trends of your Field, upskill your self,be informed and I bet you,you will be able to make better decisions for your self.
Build a strong CV from practical learning not academic learning.
Consider professional exams in your field and you will in a very short time become an authority in your field.
As a statistician go and learn data science, you will be very relevant in many organisations.
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:42pm On May 30, 2022
Professional certificate in what field?
Please

quote author=MadeMan01 post=113312549]Get professional certification [/quote]
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by Pearl1212(f): 2:43pm On May 30, 2022
I will like to be enlightened on this.
Thanks.

quote author=Smartwave post=113312349]. Go for HND/Bsc conversion programme.

Is just two years programme.

Mostly, weekend ( Fri and sat.)

If you need more light?? Let mr know.

Don't try PGD, it will only waste your time and money.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by oloriIT(m): 2:44pm On May 30, 2022
If you can afford it go for PgD abroad. If not, do B.Sc in Nigeria. I always advice that OND students get direct entry to a university to avoid this kind of issue you are now facing after completing the HND.

However, now that you have identify the need to quickly upgrade, do it properly.

Regards
Re: Academic Advice; as an HND graduate what next? PGD or BSC by belovez(m): 2:44pm On May 30, 2022
Pearl1212:
I'm confused.

Don't go for PGD, or Direct entry( direct entry is meant for ND), go for Conversion program in university like Unilag and and convert that HND to Bs.c, in your desired course and get your ICAN you will be fine

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Project Management (pmp And Prince 2 Certification) / What Is Your Experience As A 3rd Class Graduate / Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.