Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,701 members, 7,813,301 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK - Jobs/Vacancies (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK (46708 Views)

Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business / Should I Leave My Bank Job For A Multinational Technology Consulting Company? / Should I Leave My Bank Job For A Chinese Owned Multinational Telecoms Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Slynation(m): 11:37pm On May 24, 2022
I know this thread will end up being a tug of war with different opinions...!!
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Cigarini: 11:45pm On May 24, 2022
charles009:
Hello Folks,

I need una inputs, I tried scanning through nairaland threads and I am getting more of technicalities and rules lol. I need real experiences. As everybody around me dey japa so I decided to give it a thought. I work with a fintech company and net a little over =N=600k monthly. I am considering relocating to either UK,Germany,New Zealand, Australia or Canada. I am married with four kids. They said study route is the best .

A few of my colleagues that travelled just dey dull my ginger. My Oga who nets over 750k, we spoke today and he is considering a security man job, and claims net pay is over 2M monthly. Biko I cannot come and kill myself.

My friend, we spoke this evening and he responded oboy make I no lie you, na shit i dey pack for here, the good news is they say it will always get better with time. What if person no come eventually become citizen, is it a must you go become citizen.

I don talk to over 10 persons today and they all saying everything is though. Me I don't like stress, where me and wify go dey overwork just dey pay bills. Ofcourse I no get strength for menial jobs, make one oyibo use me take dey shine lol....

I no get any exceptional skill, I be sales man ooo.

Would you advise I still gamble and go with family abi make I hold my job oooo.

Please, I would welcome suggestions and advise.

Thanks Guys

Don't let anybody deceive you, UK is far better than Naija. Here are list of courses you can do and earn food money without doing carer work

1. SMST ie site manager course . Course fee £400.
Pays £19-£22/hr
2. Telehandler driver: Course fee NPors £400 or CPCS £950. Pays £18 - £21/HR
3. Traffic Marshal - Course fee £700, pays £15 -£17/hr
4. IPAF operator - course fee £200, pays £17-£20/hr
5. 360 Operator. COURSE fee £1000, pays £20 -£24/hr, depending on experience .
6 . Dumper and Roller operator, course fee £400. Pays £18 - £20 /hr.

So bro, don't let anybody discourage you. The ball is in your court. I have number 1, 2 and 4. Course cards. So am talking from experience.
However , there are lots of jobs you can do without packing shit. God bless you.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Ilekokonit: 11:48pm On May 24, 2022
kode12:
If you're going with 4kids, the cost of child care is going to be significantly higher that whatever it is you're paying in Nigeria at present.

Good point.

Even if he gets the touted 2M Naira a month net pay his former boss is getting as a Security guard, that translates to maybe £2,500 net per month. Now if his 4 kids need child care so Mum and Dad can go to work, at £1,000 per month for a registered child minder, his net pay will not cover his 4 kids monthly child care costs talk less of the more than £1,000 rent to accommodate his family of six.

This is before he factors in the fact that his kids will be bullied in school by both black and white kids for their accent and their brilliance and affinity for study. Does he want to put his kids through such. The story of Damilola Taylor the young 10 year old Nigerian kid stabbed to death in London by some school mates because he was a brilliant student comes to mind and this resulted in his parents divorce as his Dad did not want the Mum relocating the boy to school in London.

If he jacks in his 600K naira montly job in naija where he is treated with respect to go abroad as a "student" with limited working hours and start relying on menial jobs to house and feed a family of 6 he is in for heartache the likes he has never experienced before in his life.

My advice to him is to stop comparing notes with his former boss and friends abroad as they are not telling him the FULL story especially the DOWNGRADE to their status in having to resort to menial work after living a middle class life in naija.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:48pm On May 24, 2022
Flipmac:

That man is among top 5% of earners in Nigeria.

As for the cost of schools, you can find good schools for 100k a term in the same lagos. Leave those extra expensive schools for politicians and CEOs.

With proper planning, he'll live like a king in Nigeria, compared to managing in the UK.

Who never go, no go understand.

My rubbish secondary school which used to pay 50k when I was there now pays 500k and it's not an elite school by any standard. Schools are very expensive now especially good schools with good teachers. Most of this cheap schools pay their teachers 20k. Are those the kind of teachers that will impact education into ones child. They are frustrated mostly and don't even care.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by litaninja(m): 11:51pm On May 24, 2022
Calm down. Who is paying 300 for clothes per week? And MOT per week? And TV license per week?

sukkot:
i will advise you as a friend/brother will and then as an enemy.as a friend / brother i will say you are the most unqualified candidate to go abroad. you have 4 kids ? which in itself is not a problem if your name is dangote or otedola but for you ? its a burden that will sink you abroad. secondly you dont have any marketable skillset. and so you are most defnitely going to be doing manual labor or security work. so the question is what right thinking person leaves 600k per month to go and be doing manual labor abroad. i would even go as far as to say you are not even qualified to have a 600k job in nigeria because you said you are a salesperson so basically you are just one lucky bastard ( british slang ) and if i were you i would hold on tight to that job because there are 200 million people who want that job.

back to the abroad thing, someone told you he is making 2 million a month dong security work but did that low iq deceptive guy tell you what the cost of living is ? lets see so 2 million is 2600 pounds a month. thats 650 pounds a week. rent is 250 pounds a week, council tax is 30 pounds, water 50, light 40, tv license 30, feeding of 6 people is like 150 pounds a week, clothes for 6 people is like 300 pounds a week, internet 40 pounds a week, phone line is like 30 pounds a week, with 4 kids you need a car, car insurance is like 40 a week, gas like 40, road tax like 20, mot like 10, so when i add up all these expenses they come to 1030 pounds a week and so you can see that earning 650 pounds a week will not cover your expenses. someone like yu will have to earn 5000 pounds a month in the uk to survive ( thats 4million naira a month you have to earn ) and so your low iq friend is not telling you that the 2 million per month is too small. he is hoping you would think you are living for free with no expenses and all the 2 million is take home..and that is the reality of your situation

conlusion > you are hghly unqualified to go abroad unless you dont mind a life of misery and suffering and manual labor and council estates Where your kids would be beaten up by jamaican thugs everyday. YU BETER HOLD ONTO YOUR 600K JOB

NOW THE ADVICE ABOVE WOULD BE FOR A FRIEND OR BROTHER BUT TO AN ENEMY I WOULD SAY JAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. GO TO THE UK. YOU WILL ENJOY YA LIFE cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by litaninja(m): 11:53pm On May 24, 2022
Who is running on 600k for 3 months with 4 kids? How?

easynetsms:

If you have never been to a place, u won't understand how the place works. That money he is earning in Nigeria can sustain him for more than 3 months. Over here, change that money to dollars or pounds and multiply it by two, u won't have anything left at the end of the month after u have paid so many things.

Make your research bro

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 24, 2022
Idaytesj29:

Here they have not given light for two weeks. What an opposite
Lol enJoy your darkness hellhole In pieces and hatred...grin
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Bbjo: 11:58pm On May 24, 2022
charles009:
Hello Folks,

I need una inputs, I tried scanning through nairaland threads and I am getting more of technicalities and rules lol. I need real experiences. As everybody around me dey japa so I decided to give it a thought. I work with a fintech company and net a little over =N=600k monthly. I am considering relocating to either UK,Germany,New Zealand, Australia or Canada. I am married with four kids. They said study route is the best .

A few of my colleagues that travelled just dey dull my ginger. My Oga who nets over 750k, we spoke today and he is considering a security man job, and claims net pay is over 2M monthly. Biko I cannot come and kill myself.

My friend, we spoke this evening and he responded oboy make I no lie you, na shit i dey pack for here, the good news is they say it will always get better with time. What if person no come eventually become citizen, is it a must you go become citizen.

I don talk to over 10 persons today and they all saying everything is though. Me I don't like stress, where me and wify go dey overwork just dey pay bills. Ofcourse I no get strength for menial jobs, make one oyibo use me take dey shine lol....

Thanks Guys

For me o, (1) I will go with my family but if it's not possible then I will go alone. Great - u are well paid but Nigeria is not safe! Anything sh*t can happen at anytime. Life is the cheapest thing in Naija. Surely when u get there u will have to begin small - that's not big deal cos it's a progressive system.
2) Another option, your wife and kids can go while u remain so that u can join them when they have settled.

The choice is yours

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Nobody: 12:03am On May 25, 2022
litaninja:
Its simply a choice.

Choose to stay in Nigeria with lower taxes, poor roads, no hospitals, no security, no power supply, churches making noise and not letting you sleep, policemen kidnapping / killing you, bandits kidnapping you, schools renewing strikes like internet subscription, crap internet....OR you can you go a society with higher taxes /bills and the exact opposite of the above.

So, your choice.

You forgot to add "No Job Security" He Can Be Sacked At Any Fvcking Time" and he Is back to street living In penury. You couldn't have said It any better. Case Closed...

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Nobody: 12:07am On May 25, 2022
harsysky:

You've said enough, and all you've written so far are for people who are wise. My aunty left Naija to the US at the age of 58. She has sent me plus some of my family members money. Imagine if someone at that age without money was to leave abroad into Naija. The suffering will be in thousand folds .

He who has ear should hear. Majority of peole in Naija are wired to not have sense. Their thinking faculty is below that of the common rats we see on the streets of lagos. One way to know this is during election periods. For people who have suffered for years to still pick the same oppressors killing and stealing from them for years.

Why should anyone look down on someone who does a menial job. If everyone is opportuned to be educated, who would be a security, a cleaner, etc for one another. It means an educated person would still take it upon himself or herself to do it as far as it pays your bill.

Where I work, I don't send people to buy me things because they are my subordinates. If I going to do that, I pay the price by making the person very very happy.

Lol my guy sufree on those motherfvckers. Na their president first dey Cap dey yarn okpata nonsense and garbage for front page. Useless Zombies...
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Ilekokonit: 12:13am On May 25, 2022
justwise:
If you were younger with no wife or job i will encourage you to go but you are settled already

Exactly.

If he was 22 years old then I would advice him to move but not with a family of 6 to go and be a student hustling for menial jobs including care work washing sick peoples shit / vomit just to make a living and to burst his bubble, his wife will also most likely have to do these kind of demeaning jobs just to keep a roof over their heads and put food in their children's bellies + pay council taxes + VERY high heating and gas bills + pay for the VERY expensive child care for 4 kids.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Ilekokonit: 12:16am On May 25, 2022
pansophist:
If you finally decide to travel, then remove the UK, and to some extent, Canada from that list (or make it your last option). The rest are good, but the suffering you will face before you reach the promised land in places like Canada and UK, you might have been old then.

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you.
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Ilekokonit: 12:18am On May 25, 2022
meobizy:
Enter a gym and strengthen your body now, you don't know when you may lose a job and the only option available to make ends meet will be cleaning, factory or construction jobs.

The guy already said he does not want to do menial jobs and does not like stress.

charles009:
Me I don't like stress, where me and wify go dey overwork just dey pay bills. Of course I no get strength for menial jobs.
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by mfm04622: 12:22am On May 25, 2022
Flipmac:

Keep deceiving yourself.
There is nothing exceptional about being a salesperson.

Keep in mind that UK citizens compete for the same job as immigrants.

Salespersons are called different names, depending on the industry. I can tell you anybody that can sell, will always have work!
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by seyenko(m): 12:23am On May 25, 2022
My experience - when you relocate, you are not doing it for yourself but for your future generations. So you can decide to sacrifice your present comfort and have some rough years so that your children and their children going forward will live in an environment with better opportunities and certainty.

charles009:
Hello Folks,

Thanks Guys

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by NaughtyBrainiac: 12:24am On May 25, 2022
engrkaz:
Well, @poster, my situation isn't so much different from urs. I have 3 kids, I was a senior officer at a federal parastatal in Abuja, my wife was building her career at a federal ministry, plus we had a pure water factory too. Meaning we were a bit comfortable. However, I made the move last September to come to the UK for my PhD. I am only able to work part-time and my wife works just about 3 times a week cos of child care. Our rent is 650 pm, gas and electricity about 120, water is on twice a year payment plan and its about 360 pa, home broadband about 30 pm, council tax is around 120 but we currently have a discount...feeding and entertainment had never been more than 800 pm. Kids are doing very well in school and we save way more than our income back home in nigeria. I will advise you from personal experience to reconsider you decision not to make the move. You know your situation and you know what suits you most. My motivation for coming here was never money, but a good and secure life for my kids. Think about it and ďo what you feel is best for you. I personally do not regret making the move.
Hello Sir, I sent you a pm please. Thank you
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Nobody: 12:25am On May 25, 2022
frowland:

Someone left for UK with his family just recently. His net pay with Dangote was 500k+- including allowance and all.

Now he is doing a security job in UK and his take home is 1.3m thereabouts.
But something interesting is now his concern, which is cost of living.
Income is just enough for the family but that’s just about it.

[s]Most of the pictures you see them post on Instagram aren't the reality and are likely taken on posh locations and malls just to flatter.

The life in UK is not adviceable for someone who want to hustle - Canada or Australia is good for such ambition.

Slave abroad or king in your country? It's your choice. Think it well.[/s]

I'do rather be a Well Fed Productive Slave In a Sane & Working Nation where HUMAN BEINGS Live than be a Useless Hungry King In a nation of War Thorn, Merciless Things, Vile Things, Poverty and Wicked Demons. Tueh...

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Nobody: 12:29am On May 25, 2022
CSTRR:

Your country has just been delisted from the lists of emerging markets.
The mal administration is chronic. And it will only get worse.

It's like you don't realise home is no longer home.

You have forgotten you are taking to a Zombie. I would have refereed to them as Robots but that will be an Insult to the Robothood. Robots are extremely useful and productive than them...

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by modskiller(m): 12:32am On May 25, 2022
IdreamOfUnicorn:
Don't lie. "He" is you

Lol grin I wish.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by obontami: 12:39am On May 25, 2022
justwise:

God bless you for this

First time I see this guy agree with someone. grin

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by meobizy(f): 12:53am On May 25, 2022
Ilekokonit:

The guy already said he does not want to do menial jobs and does not like stress.

Hence the advice. He will find it difficult that way with such mindset.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by frowland(m): 12:55am On May 25, 2022
Evolutionlove:

[s]
I'do rather be a Well Fed Slave In a Sane & Working Nation where HUMAN BEINGS Live than be a Useless Hungry King In a nation of War Thorn, Merciless Things, Vile Things, Poverty and Wicked Demons. Tueh...
[/s]
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by BigIyanga: 12:59am On May 25, 2022
charles009:
Hello Folks,

Thanks Guys
It seems you’re more worried about job title? 600K today is about $1k.... but it’s going to about $500 in as Naira devalues on monthly basis.
If you want stability for your kids in the next 5-10yrs, then abroad might be an option, but if you’re worried about job title, then Naija is ur best bet. But remember that average Naija middle class earner is one hardship away from living in penury. Dont get serious sickness.. stroke, kidney problem, heart problems.. then you’re good in Naija, but if you do, you’ll die faster and broke.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by smasher1(m): 2:46am On May 25, 2022
Klass99:
The people you talked to are not lying, more and more Nigerians are starting to open up about life in the diaspora and being truthful about their experiences.

A neighbour who works with Mobil and has relocated his family of 4 (wife & 3 kids) to Canada told me life is not as rosy as we think and it's really tough overseas. But our people like to lie and pretend about these things.

Does it make sense to leave a good paying job for a menial one like some of your friends are doing? I don't care how much it pays, you don't need a soul sucking job that pays XYZ amount before you can live a good life. You get the money and end up with other issues like depression, health hazards etc

I have heard of a 50 something year old Nigerian man who works in a factory over there, he suffers from back pain and all, but he can't quit. He has to keep grinding because they took out a mortgage on their house, him and wifey are still working to pay off. I can't recall the exact age I was told but it was something close to our retirement age in Naija. If they were here, chances are, he would have built his house and been able to retire from active duty by now.

Before you japa watch a YouTube video of Wode Maya & Juliet (search for it on Youtube) to help you make an informed decision. Take your time to read the comments that follow as well, it is African diasporans sharing their truth and experiences.

Fact. I know Nigerians who earn well and worked patiently to retirement. there retirement pay monthly is reasonable compared to life abroad. they won't get any rest or reasonable pay at retirement.
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by smasher1(m): 3:22am On May 25, 2022
charles009:

Appears every one is complaining about the plenty tax and bills. Seems I will hold on to my job strongly for the now until further notice. Thanks guys....

What matters wherever you are is not how much you earn but 1. your net pay. 2. how much you can save out of your pay. reason I relocated from Lagos to the South South. Because for the same salary, or less you achieve more outside Lagos.
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by ikezudon(m): 4:28am On May 25, 2022
there's no one who would come to this thread and not read at least 6 pages of comments/opinions. This has been an eye-opener. Somehow somehow, no experiences are the same. People who travel abroad mostly go to raise the bar for themselves and come back. The idea is to go there, get citizenship if possible, and then come back and establish here.

If citizenship is not in the plans, work, save up, and set up business here. That is what most people do. We can't keep complaining about taxes. It is the taxes that provide the favourable environment we witness there. However, I think someone earning 2million a month in Nigeria has no business trying to move abroad.

In other news, see the most popular countries in the world, in case you wan Japa

https://billzonthestreets.com/most-popular-countries-world/
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by fantasy2018: 4:29am On May 25, 2022
$1,445.16 job. dishwashing job abroad.
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Cousin9999: 4:40am On May 25, 2022
The only way it's definitely a good idea is if you plan to study for a medical profession (nursing, physician assistant, doctor, etc), where you're almost guaranteed a good job. People who do nursing, for example, are set up for a nice middle class life, good schools for the kids, plenty of money to send home, and the ability to bring family over.

If you just want to "hustle" or school and see what you can get, it's high risk. The biggest problem is people saving and spending so much money, and then potentially coming back with nothing. And those people could have built a house, started a business, or advanced in their career. Alternatively, you may be downgrading your job and lifestyle for no good reason.

If you're going to take the risk, do thorough research and planning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by verygudbadguy(m): 4:51am On May 25, 2022
A lot of people think 600k salary is much for a family of 6 in our present Nigeria. I think the children should come first in this your permutation. Their future should be paramount as it looks bleak here in Nigeria due to economic and security meltdown.

From discussions with friends in the UK, it will be expectantly uneasy to settle down over there except you have saved up some bucks for rent, balance of your school fees while madam also gets ready to hustle big time. It is achievable!

I think the travel route is fine because I can tell you for free that in the nearest future, that salary range won’t be able to afford you the life you desire here. I can picture your present lifestyle right now and what it will look like after inflation has dealt a massive blow on the economy in 2,3 years.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by verygudbadguy(m): 4:54am On May 25, 2022
BigIyanga:

It seems you’re more worried about job title? 600K today is about $1k.... but it’s going to about $500 in as Naira devalues on monthly basis.
If you want stability for your kids in the next 5-10yrs, then abroad might be an option, but if you’re worried about job title, then Naija is ur best bet. But remember that average Naija middle class earner is one hardship away from living in penury. Dont get serious sickness.. stroke, kidney problem, heart problems.. then you’re good in Naija, but if you do, you’ll die faster and broke.

Well said.
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Blazadenise(m): 6:33am On May 25, 2022
Come and help your brother get a job..... Were Una they see this job na
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Idaytesj29(m): 6:36am On May 25, 2022
Evolutionlove:

Lol enJoy your darkness hellhole In pieces and hatred...grin

grin grin grin Lol.

I'm right behind you. My time is coming very fast.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

How To Get A Job In Australia From Nigeria As A Graduate / Shell 2023 Graduate Trainee Program / N-power Explains How To Check Pre-selection Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.