Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,459 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK - Jobs/Vacancies (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK (46693 Views)

Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business / Should I Leave My Bank Job For A Multinational Technology Consulting Company? / Should I Leave My Bank Job For A Chinese Owned Multinational Telecoms Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Bimpe29: 9:41pm On May 24, 2022
Bro na to japa be the ultimate ooo.
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Roon9(m): 9:44pm On May 24, 2022
modskiller:
Dear OP @charles009

I find your thinking interesting, cos you seem to have a good job and yet you tend to want better. That’s what we’re meant to do in life.

If we were built to be in one spot for life we wouldn’t have our feet.

Truth be told so many stories of people who go and come back with nothing, some are fishy as they wouldn’t narrate if they were lazy or not, or perhaps they were involved in something fishy on another man’s territory.

I suggest you travel and visit these countries you might have in mind to acclimatize yourself with what’s what and what’s not.

I know people who have little or no skills earning $2-$3K every month after tax and about 600$-800$ after bills every month overseas without their family though.

If you can sharpen your skill sets when you relocate with some trainings, you should fare better.

You have a family so the story might not be the same, but you also have a helping hand with your wife by you, you can pull more weights and have less pressure.

Also, on a not so bright note. You have a good job here but is it secure?

is your safety and that of your family guaranteed?

Are their future guaranteed too?

Will you wake up tomorrow to another unimaginable inflation?

If you fall ill will you be taken care of first and bills sorted later or we have to source for the money before the doctors will even listen to you.

So so many questions I should ask, but you’re a man and I think you should be the one to question your action(s) as to how you can secure the future of your clan.

Imagine if Giannis Adetokumbo’s Father had him in Nigeria. grin

People may show you videos of how people are complaining, let this !d!its complaining come back home from where they are and allow fresh hands go experience the heavy taxing, but I’m sure they won’t.

Peace!!!

Jeezzz! Thread don reach page 10 from page 2 in 24hrs lol grin

Modified

At my age, I'm definitely not leaving for me but for my Son! People over there keep complaining but they can never come back to Nigeria and ever stop to travel by road. Always flight.... They should try road and see how secured the Nation is

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Roon9(m): 9:46pm On May 24, 2022
Raalsalghul:

What pisses me of about threads like this is that there's always a reference to the Op's current earning power: in this case 600k.

Last I checked, 1 dollar = 600 naira, so the Op is currently earning 1k dollars monthly which in itself is not bad but to put things in context :at this same time last year, it was about 1200 dollars.

Common sense dictates that there's a reason to be worried and so many other variables should be looked into apart from earning power.

Like SECURITY! Wetin pass security for this life

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Roon9(m): 9:49pm On May 24, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Trust me, most who go back to Nigeria complaining didn’t move back by choice.
You and Justwise present strong points and I advise anyone to be suspicious of people who complain about the developed countries they moved to.
If you visit any Nigerians here in the US (my paternal side included) you hear them complaining to family in Naija about bills and how hard things are then the moment they disconnect the call, they jump right back to loving and enjoying their new life.
The majority of people who complain aren’t legal and don’t have papers, are lazy, don’t want family back in Naija to ask for help migrating, or ask for money.

Real question: why do these monikers act like bills and taxes are curses and everyone abroad works around the clock, living a hard life of struggle? A nice, comfortable lifestyle costs and we enjoy the amenities funded with our taxes. Savings and investments are priorities to me but what good does having large amounts of money saved serve in an unsanitary, uncomfortable, and dangerous environment where one encounter can wipe savings dry? Serves no good at all.

You people were late to the thread. The narrow-minded ones already littered everywhere with their bile

3 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Ajibade123(m): 9:53pm On May 24, 2022
charles009:
Hello Folks,

I need una inputs, I tried scanning through nairaland threads and I am getting more of technicalities and rules lol. I need real experiences. As everybody around me dey japa so I decided to give it a thought. I work with a fintech company and net a little over =N=600k monthly. I am considering relocating to either UK,Germany,New Zealand, Australia or Canada. I am married with four kids. They said study route is the best .

A few of my colleagues that travelled just dey dull my ginger. My Oga who nets over 750k, we spoke today and he is considering a security man job, and claims net pay is over 2M monthly. Biko I cannot come and kill myself.

My friend, we spoke this evening and he responded oboy make I no lie you, na shit i dey pack for here, the good news is they say it will always get better with time. What if person no come eventually become citizen, is it a must you go become citizen.

I don talk to over 10 persons today and they all saying everything is though. Me I don't like stress, where me and wify go dey overwork just dey pay bills. Ofcourse I no get strength for menial jobs, make one oyibo use me take dey shine lol....

I no get any exceptional skill, I be sales man ooo.

Would you advise I still gamble and go with family abi make I hold my job oooo.

Please, I would welcome suggestions and advise.

Thanks Guys
you said you don't have any skills
I think that's all the answer you need to take your eyes off the abroad

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Nackzy: 9:56pm On May 24, 2022
Advision:

accounting started with a big4 consulting firm though. A chartered accountant generally earns well per Nigeria's situation and find more employment opportunities because almost all firms need a finance dept
Woaw nice
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by engnraaron321(m): 10:01pm On May 24, 2022
pansophist:

AU, NZ, and GER are good options. Not sure about Germany, but the other two speak English, have an easy path to citizenship, have good weather, good income, and job opportunities, and are not crowded.
Please Wats d full name of dis AU and NZ?
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Sweetvie: 10:04pm On May 24, 2022
Like MrBrownjay av said we ain't in ur shoe so we can't decide for you.... If you're still young like just one kid i would av advice u to travel but four, it's not easy... I don't know abt Germany n others but I think Aussie and canny
Is ok... I don't know for other profession but am a Nurse and I know how much i make here but it's not alws abt the money. First visit any of the country n see how thing goes maybe you can cope. The level of insecurity in Nigeria now is alarming. If you want to travel make sure you av a backup plan. Wish you all the best grin
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Sweetvie: 10:05pm On May 24, 2022
engnraaron321:

Australia and New Zealand
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Flipmac(m): 10:19pm On May 24, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

What kind of life do you think 600k will give you in Nigeria as a married man with 4 kids. I earn more than that as a single person and I am just managing. That money isn't worth shit in today's Nigeria especially if you live in the big cities and 4 kids.
Exactly.
We're so poor in Nigeria that basic income looks huge to us.
I could easily make 800k per month and it's really nothing to celebrate.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by femifezzy(m): 10:31pm On May 24, 2022
Omo!!!, i can said, this is a very great eyes opening thread, reading the pages one after the other, gaining knowledge from our experience elders!, i learnt alot today sha

let keep running with the Vision, will one day be great in life�

i so much love nairaland forums❤️, you meet great people
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by benitwater(m): 10:34pm On May 24, 2022
When you can easily travel abroad for your annually leave/vacation with your wife and kids why still retaining your #600k per month job.
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:37pm On May 24, 2022
Flipmac:

Exactly.
We're so poor in Nigeria that basic income looks huge to us.
I could easily make 800k per month and it's really nothing to celebrate.

He's managing on that salary. A very good school in Lagos will set you back by 400 per term and he has 4 kids.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by IdreamOfUnicorn(f): 10:37pm On May 24, 2022
modskiller:

Honestly I think the poster made that up or the person who told him/her is exaggerating.

I still sold a PlayStation console to a SHELL Worker who’s family is in Canada at one apartment beside Eko Hotel few weeks ago and guess what, He told me not to relent in making moves and leaving for greener pastures.

He bursted my brain when he said one of the things that made him come home was because he son needed some things for his upcoming birthday so he had to come home and gather one or two things, he can confidently afford a comfortable lifestyle.

Also, One thing I’ve learned in life includes studying people.

If anyone dissuades you from doing something to better your life and or self, please be wary of them.

If everyone didn’t do, then no one will succeed & If it was easy everyone would do it and it will therefore have no meaningful value.

Quick one:

I have a friend who travelled to the USA few years back.

He was my customer before we became friends and I noticed he has this passion for making sure he’d convince customers unless you never wanted to buy in the first place.

He first told me when he went to UK and came back he said he regretted coming back as we lived on the Lagos island Proper, I mean Agarawu, Isale Eko, Idumota, Balogun, Oke Arin etc.

The day he first came back from UK he said he had about 400£ On him as he did some business there before coming back.

The day he came back there was no light and owing to where we lived back then, there is no space in between buildings and generators are poorly placed in such a way that if your neighbors dies of carbon monoxide poisoning e no concern you.

He said the noise of the Gen almost made him lose it.

The major thing that drive him so so hard was the fact that his dad’s elder bro is a UK citizen who when he calls for help tells him it’s not easy, when he asked that the man pull him overseas, man said it’s not easy.

Same man said he wouldn’t wish his worst enemy to go through what they through in the abroad, came home and took his son to come experience it.(see the plot twist)

He told me this with tears, and he wasn’t even angry cos he said fair and square the man has given him money on few occasions when he needs assistance and the man owes him nothing, just that he wished his father was alive too.

He went back to visit UK again the second time and I was still there looking like a JJC cos I didn’t have much funds like him.

Upon his arrival he gathered money and faces USA, he first said he wanted to come back but I was the ine telling him not to even try it cos his children unborn will curse him for making such decision.

He’s in the US working and making his money legit with no regrets.

I can’t say much on here.

To cut my long story short he’s now a USA Citizen.

If you want to suffer please choose your suffering wisely.

See his two passports below, now he can choose which kind suffer he wan suffer...

Don't lie. "He" is you
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Flipmac(m): 10:50pm On May 24, 2022
bigfrancis21:

I would not recommend this idea, especially not the UK. The monthly salary in pounds when converted to naira might seem to be a lot but the tax rate in Uk is very high, as high as 40%. Let’s use your salary in Nigeria for example, N605,000. I’m sure that after all deductions are made, your take home is at least N550,000. However, in the UK and at 40% tax rate you’ll be left with N363,000. Rent is paid monthly not yearly and the bills are paid monthly not yearly. You have it going well for you already. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Finally before you make such a big move, given that you’re a married man with children, try visiting the Uk first to check out things by yourself. If you’re ok with what you see and you decide to move, then you’ve made an informed decision.
You've spoken the truth, but Nigerians will tag you an enemy of progress.
80% of Nigerians abroad are managing and living paycheck to paycheck.

To this brother, 600k in naija is way better than 3k pounds in the UK for a family of 6. Worse still, you don't have a high paying skill.

Only Nigerians who have never been abroad will advise you otherwise. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by pansophist(m): 10:52pm On May 24, 2022
engnraaron321:

Australia and New Zealand
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by NuCypher: 10:52pm On May 24, 2022
Klass99:

The OP said he is contemplating it because most of the people he knows around him don japa. It is not always about security reasons (if we are being honest) but for reasons like the OP's own, where people feel their peers have moved on and left them behind.

I know that feeling because more than half of my co-workers at a former workplace don japa. It was a tight knit work community, I had already resigned and was working somewhere else before they started to japa. Lydia (one colleague) who remained caught that bug and feeling, then started agitating for us to look into it too, she wanted us to plan and move together as two single ladies and friends. Sounds exciting, right?

But I don't do things because others are doing it, my destiny is not tied to other people's journey and I have always believed that in life God has a plan for each person, your path will be different, so will be mine. Not all roads lead to ogbodo-oyinbo, when I sat her down one day to quizz her on this japa quest, her motivation was purely the fact that our co-workers had gone and she felt left out, like she was missing out on some action.

kpmg people
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Flipmac(m): 10:56pm On May 24, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

He's managing on that salary. A very good school in Lagos will set you back by 400 per term and he has 4 kids.
That man is among top 5% of earners in Nigeria.

As for the cost of schools, you can find good schools for 100k a term in the same lagos. Leave those extra expensive schools for politicians and CEOs.

With proper planning, he'll live like a king in Nigeria, compared to managing in the UK.

Who never go, no go understand.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Flipmac(m): 11:02pm On May 24, 2022
mfm04622:

I am not here on Japa or no japa things.
The saleman thing is my concern!
How can you be a salesperson and claim you don't have exceptional skill? The hardest thing in the world is selling. Whoever can sell will always find work wherever he is!
Keep deceiving yourself.
There is nothing exceptional about being a salesperson.

Keep in mind that UK citizens compete for the same job as immigrants.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by damosade(m): 11:02pm On May 24, 2022
My friend told me last week to make every possible best to leave this country for Canada.,
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Flipmac(m): 11:09pm On May 24, 2022
Uchemus:

Op, these are they kind of people that would discourage you from leaving the slum, those that havnt even left the shore of Nigeria before. They are too quick to share people bad experience abroad, but they would never tell you about those that have made it.

Everyone's experience is unique. For instance you can expect someone who has no skill to travel out and make it all of a sudden. You would need to work hard and upgrade your skill. If you know you aren't ready to work, you can aswell stay back. But if you are looking for where your hardwork would be rewarded then you can take the chance. I believe with the level youv gottent to in Nigeria, based on your salary, there is a good chance you would get a job in the Uk that would be willing to sponsor you.

Those complaining about menial jobs in the Uk are those that are jobless and doing menial jobs in Nigeria. They rather stay lazy in Nigeria and beg people doing menial jobs abroad for money than to work.

You might be very comfortable in Nigeria, but this is Nigeria, anything can happen, and very quickly.

All the best.
Lol.
You clearly have never lived outside Nigeria, if had you for don calm down.
Only 20% live large, most people live paycheck to paycheck. Facts.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Flipmac(m): 11:11pm On May 24, 2022
easynetsms:

If you have never been to a place, u won't understand how the place works. That money he is earning in Nigeria can sustain him for more than 3 months. Over here, change that money to dollars or pounds and multiply it by two, u won't have anything left at the end of the month after u have paid so many things.

Make your research bro
Well said.

The annoying thing about threads like this is that it is usually flooded by people who have never lived outside Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Nobody: 11:15pm On May 24, 2022
Flipmac:

You've spoken the truth, but Nigerians will tag you an enemy of progress.
80% of Nigerians abroad are managing and living paycheck to paycheck.

To this brother, 600k in naija is way better than 3k pounds in the UK for a family of 6. Worse still, you don't have a high paying skill.

Only Nigerians who have never been abroad will advise you otherwise. Good luck.

I almost attacked you until I cooled down and read the post once again. Now I get It. But wait, You are still confusing me with some of your comments. Well whatever, No matter how hard overseas seems to be, It can never be compared to Hellhole. Let the Zombies keep basking In their factory fitted foolishness and stupidity....grin
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by JBoss25(m): 11:20pm On May 24, 2022
IgweBUIKE1:
lol... Uk no easy... Naija come easy pass... My two cousin over there work legit... I also have a brother in Belfast,and he is doing very very well, despite the fact that he is not so smart
Lol which kind talk be this
Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by litaninja(m): 11:25pm On May 24, 2022
Its simply a choice.

Choose to stay in Nigeria with lower taxes, poor roads, no hospitals, no security, no power supply, churches making noise and not letting you sleep, policemen kidnapping / killing you, bandits kidnapping you, schools renewing strikes like internet subscription, crap internet....OR you can you go a society with higher taxes /bills and the exact opposite of the above.

So, your choice.

charles009:

Appears every one is complaining about the plenty tax and bills. Seems I will hold on to my job strongly for the now until further notice. Thanks guys....

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by harsysky(m): 11:25pm On May 24, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

The most important thing is doing it the right way, no shortcuts.
My advice to you is to study the immigration policies and paths while building yourself up to speed. Turn over every stone and learn about all avenues. Be persistent and you’ll succeed. Nothing is impossible, believe me.

You've said enough, and all you've written so far are for people who are wise. My aunty left Naija to the US at the age of 58. She has sent me plus some of my family members money. Imagine if someone at that age without money was to leave abroad into Naija. The suffering will be in thousand folds .

He who has ear should hear. Majority of peole in Naija are wired to not have sense. Their thinking faculty is below that of the common rats we see on the streets of lagos. One way to know this is during election periods. For people who have suffered for years to still pick the same oppressors killing and stealing from them for years.

Why should anyone look down on someone who does a menial job. If everyone is opportuned to be educated, who would be a security, a cleaner, etc for one another. It means an educated person would still take it upon himself or herself to do it as far as it pays your bill.

Where I work, I don't send people to buy me things because they are my subordinates. If I going to do that, I pay the price by making the person very very happy.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by Ilekokonit: 11:33pm On May 24, 2022
charles009:
I am married with four kids. My Oga who nets over 750k, we spoke today and he is considering a security man job, and claims net pay is over 2M monthly.

My friend, we spoke this evening and he responded oboy make I no lie you, na shit i dey pack for here.

I don talk to over 10 persons today and they all saying everything is though.

Me I don't like stress, where me and wify go dey overwork just dey pay bills.

Ofcourse I no get strength for menial jobs, make one oyibo use me take dey shine lol....

Would you advise I still gamble and go with family abi make I hold my job oooo.

Your former boss may be earning 2M Naira monthly as a security guard but does he tell you that he is earning £10 per hour gross and has to work 72 hours a week or more (7 days a week) to earn that much and if he lives in a 1 bed flat or more or has a family, he may not be able to save £500 per month.

If you can not work as a security guard
If you can not pack shit
If you don't like stress
If you can not overwork yourself just to pay bills
If you no get strength for menial jobs
If you no want make oyibo use you take dey shine

AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE STRESS, I will advice you NOT TO GAMBLE YOURS AND YOUR FAMILY'S FUTURE.

DON'T DO IT.

HOLD YOUR 600K A MONTH JOB in naija.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK by litaninja(m): 11:34pm On May 24, 2022
5M?? Are you relocating to ekiti?

jimtemi1:
All this JAPA JAPA, relocating to the UK cost nothing less than 5million naira, u see say no be poor pple dey JAPA... If I have 5m as I dey na business sure for my papa land o

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers / How To Get A Job In Australia From Nigeria As A Graduate / Shell 2023 Graduate Trainee Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.