Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

It's OK To Question Your Beliefs - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / It's OK To Question Your Beliefs (5161 Views)

This Thread Will Shake The Foundations Of Your Beliefs(Pictures Included)) / Faith Oyedepo: You're Under Demonic Influence If You Question Your Husband... / Your Beliefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 11:19am On Jun 19, 2022
Happy Sunday wonderful people.

When it comes to religion, especially in Nigeria, questioning your specific religion or beliefs is something that's usually frowned upon. In any civilized society, it definitely shouldn't be the case.

I'm not here to try and sway anyone away from what they believe in. I just want people who have questions to know its okay to have those questions. And if they're willing to seek answers objectively, its possible to do so too.

I'll also be creating some more topics on the different aspects of religion, and belief in God/gods in general, as time goes on.

My goal is to have honest, open-minded discussions on topics like this. Stay tuned for more. Peace

2 Likes

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Akakanfirstclass(m): 11:25am On Jun 19, 2022
yes..
questioning your belief is like testing it in fire..

if your belief answers the questions convincingly then it proofs that your Faith is true and I strengthens ur Faith the more..

by the problem is; when you question ur beliefs, wherever the answer is coming from must be from a well knowledgeable and inclined source, else any misconception might mislead.

2 Likes

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 11:39am On Jun 19, 2022
Akakanfirstclass:

by the problem is; when you question ur beliefs, wherever the answer is coming from must be from a well knowledgeable and inclined source, else any misconception might mislead.

Thanks for the response. If I may ask, what do you mean by "an inclined" source. Do you mean an objective source of knowledge, or a source of knowledge already inclined towards a presupposed answer?

2 Likes

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Kobojunkie: 11:41am On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:
I'm not here to try and sway anyone away from what they believe in. I just want people who have questions to know its okay to have those questions. And if they're willing to seek answers objectively, its possible to do so too.

I'll also be creating some more topics on the different aspects of religion, and belief in God/gods in general, as time goes on.

My goal is to have honest, open-minded discussions on topics like this. Stay tuned for more. Peace
You absolutely must question everything if you intend to worship God in Truth and in Spirit. undecided
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 12:03pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You absolutely must question everything if you instead to worship God in Truth and in Spirit. undecided

What if the questions involve the belief in whether or not a God or gods exist?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Akakanfirstclass(m): 12:11pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Thanks for the response. If I may ask, what do you mean by "an inclined" source. Do you mean an objective source of knowledge, or a source of knowledge already inclined towards a presupposed answer?

well, I meant, a source that is very well knowledgeable in his belief.
not trying to force everything to resonate with his beliefs, but recognising the objectives of his beliefs..

for e.g let say in the Christianity the objectives is salvation of souls but a Christian would be praying to his God for mansion and money, where as his God is objectively interested in his spiritual growth and salvation.

a certain man of God by name Abel damina was asked...
"why is it that Christians would fast and pray for wealth and success materially yet they aren't answered meanwhile the world richest men are unbelievers..?"

well, the man of God answered him saying
" just as God created the system of reproduction, so that when an healthy man and woman mate, they will reproduce irrespective of whether they are believers or not.
likewise in material matters.
if you want money, you work for it and not pray unnecessarily.
but unknowledgeable source would have tried to defend God by saying things like, "God knows best, he maketh everything beautiful in it time, wait on God, seek he first the kingdom of God then money will come".... and other unnecessary scriptures

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Kobojunkie: 12:27pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:
Question everything. undecided

Now who you direct your questions to is also important. The world is full of so much ignorance where God is concerned so it is futile to go asking men about God. Direct this question of yours at God..if He is, He promised that He will answer you and if He doesn't exist, that means you will get no answer hence your answer. But trust no man in these things.. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 12:39pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:

Now who you direct your questions to is also important. The world is full of so much ignorance where God is concerned so it is futile to go asking men about God. Direct this question of yours at God..if He is, He promised that He will answer you and if He doesn't exist, that means you will get no answer hence your answer. But trust no man in these things.. undecided

You can start from the origin of your religion.
The sources say the same thing.

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 1:20pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:

How would someone direct their questions at a God if they're questioning the very concept of "God"?

Questioning a belief in a god for example, includes questioning some or every notion of what the said God is supposed to be like, including everything He/She/It is thought to have done or said, or been.

2 Likes

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Kobojunkie: 1:23pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:
1. How would someone direct their questions at a God if they're questioning the very concept of "God"?

2. Questioning a belief in a god for example, includes questioning some or every notion of what the said God is supposed to be like, including everything He/She/It is thought to have done or said, or been.
1. Your. question is of concept not even of whether He exists or not? undecided

2. To what end? undecided

If I tell you who I am and what I stand for. To what end would you question the notion of what I am and everything I have said and done? undecided
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 1:28pm On Jun 19, 2022
Akakanfirstclass:

well, I meant, a source that is very well knowledgeable in his belief.
not trying to force everything to resonate with his beliefs, but recognising the objectives of his beliefs..

for e.g let say in the Christianity the objectives is salvation of souls but a Christian would be praying to his God for mansion and money, where as his God is objectively interested in his spiritual growth and salvation.

a certain man of God by name Abel damina was asked...
"why is it that Christians would fast and pray for wealth and success materially yet they aren't answered meanwhile the world richest men are unbelievers..?"

well, the man of God answered him saying
" just as God created the system of reproduction, so that when an healthy man and woman mate, they will reproduce irrespective of whether they are believers or not.
likewise in material matters.
if you want money, you work for it and not pray unnecessarily.
but unknowledgeable source would have tried to defend God by saying things like, "God knows best, he maketh everything beautiful in it time, wait on God, seek he first the kingdom of God then money will come".... and other unnecessary scriptures

I think I get it now. So basically, your understanding is, if someone is questioning their belief, it's best to get the answers from someone who knows more about said belief.

So for example, should a christian who questions the origin of the bible go to a historian as opposed to a pastor
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 1:36pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Your. question is of concept not even of whether He exists or not? undecided

1. Getting the concept of a god correct is important in determining whether or not the God exists. There are different concepts of what a God is or is supposed to be. Without getting the concept correct, determining whether It exists becomes more difficult.

2. To what end? undecided

If I tell you who I am and what I stand for. To what end would you question the notion of what I am and everything I have said and done? undecided

If you told me who you were and what you stand for, and the details of your identity were important to me, let's say for a job interview or for security purposes, it would be important for me to at least verify such claims. Don't you agree?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 1:36pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I think I get it now. So basically, your understanding is, if someone is questioning their belief, it's best to get the answers from someone who knows more about said belief.

So for example, should a christian who questions the origin of the bible go to a historian as opposed to a pastor

Christianity comes from Judaism, he should meet a Judaist.

Judaism comes from yahwism, that one should meet a yahwist
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahwism

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Kobojunkie: 1:42pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:
1. Getting the concept of a god correct is important in determining whether or not the God exists. There are different concepts of what a God is or is supposed to be. Without getting the concept correct, determining whether It exists becomes more difficult.

2. If you told me who you were and what you stand for, and the details of your identity were important to me, let's say for a job interview or for security purposes, it would be important for me to at least verify such claims. Don't you agree?
1. The concept is lied out for you in scripture. All you need do is read up on it to learn, right? Or is that not what you seek understanding of?, undecided

2. job interview? How do you go about verifying God's claims in this case? By asking others or by directing your questions at Him and accepting His response to you? undecided
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

The origin of the Bible? Or scripture? undecided
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 1:43pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. The concept is lied out for you in scripture. All you need do is read up on it to learn, right? Or is that not what you seek understanding of?, undecided

2. job interview? How do you go about verifying God's claims in this case? By asking others or by directing your questions at Him and accepting His response to you? undecided

God is a title not a person, the concept is literally staring at you, have you heard of THEOlogy?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 1:46pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The origin of the Bible? Or scripture? undecided

Bible and scriptures LITERALLY means same thing.
Your religion thrives on ignorance

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by TAYO124: 1:55pm On Jun 19, 2022
You will be regarded a zombie if you cannot question culture, custom and norms around you. A major difference between the technically advanced nations and the underdeveloped nations is their love to solve questions they do not understand. Logical reasoning is a subject in Mathematics where you analyse in quest for the truth.
Truth is a function of asking legitimate questions in order to get answers. An indicator/red flag to disengage any system
of beliefs is when there’s reluctance to answer questions adherents genuinely
have.
Jesus was always willing to answer legitimate questions of people around him. Jews are a phenomenal people because they encourage asking questions about anything.
However the average African is hardly inquisitive, we do not have a scientific approach to any challenge of life but mere mythical responses and there are questions you dare not ask?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 1:58pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

Christianity comes from Judaism, he should meet a Judaist.

Judaism comes from yahwism, that one should meet a yahwist

I think I get your point. But Judaism and Yahwism are also belief systems. People from these faiths can only tell you what they believe, which can be nice, but doesn't really help much is someone is looking for objective knowledge, rather than an alternative belief system.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 1:59pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I think I get your point. But Judaism and Yahwism are also belief systems. People from these faiths can only tell you what they believe, which can be nice, but doesn't really help much is someone is looking for objective knowledge, rather than an alternative belief system.

You didn’t get it a bit, Christianity is borrowing their belief system.

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:05pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:

What exactly do you mean by scripture? I assume you mean the bible.

So my question is, what if someone questions the very bible which provides the said concept of God? How can someone be sure that the said concept of God in the Bible or Koran or Vedas or any other holy book, is the correct one?

Are you saying it may be impossible to verify the claims? If so, then what basis would someone base their belief on? And wouldn't non-belief be just as logical, if not more, than belief?

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:09pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

You didn’t get it a bit, Christianity is borrowing their belief system.

I understand that the belief system of Judaism was borrowed by Christianity. But for someone who's questioning their beliefs, what makes the belief system of Judaism or Yahwism any more credible than their respective successors?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Dtruthspeaker: 2:10pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:
Happy Sunday wonderful people.

When it comes to religion, especially in Nigeria, questioning your specific religion or beliefs is something that's usually frowned upon. In any civilized society, it definitely shouldn't be the case...

The Bible did say "Taste and See that The Lord is Good" Psalm 34:8.

"Come now, let us reason together" Isaiah 1:18

"By Doubting, we are led to Questioning. By Questioning, we arrive at The Truth"

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:11pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I understand that the belief system of Judaism was borrowed by Christianity. But for someone who's questioning their beliefs, what makes the belief system of Judaism or Yahwism any more credible than their respective successors?

Have you read anything on Judaism and yahwism.
They both go beyond “belief system”.

If you trace it you’ll see the mythology.

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:11pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

God is a title not a person, the concept is literally staring at you, have you heard of THEOlogy?

Yes I understand it's a title. But in the general sense when someone claims they believe in a god, it goes much farther than the title. It usually includes things like the nature of said God, what He/She/it wants, how it acts, why and how to worship it, and so on. That's what I meant by the concept.

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:13pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Yes I understand it's a title. But in the general sense what someone claims they believe in a god, it goes much farther than the title. It usually includes things like the nature of said God, what He/She/it wants, how it acts, why and how to worship it, and so on. That's what I meant by the concept.

When they say they believe in a god, you just ask them the name of the god, god is a title not a person.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Kobojunkie: 2:14pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:
1. What exactly do you mean by scripture? I assume you mean the bible.

2. So my question is, what if someone questions the very bible which provides the said concept of God? How can someone be sure that the said concept of God in the Bible or Koran or Vedas or any other holy book, is the correct one?

3. Are you saying it may be impossible to verify the claims? If so, then what basis would someone base their belief on? And wouldn't non-belief be just as logical, if not more, than belief?
1. Nope, I don't mean your Bible. I mean scriptures which your Bible is simply a compendium of a few of them. undecided

2. Ask God Himself your questions. undecided

3. No, I said you should ask God Himself who is said to be True all your questions. Unless you think He will lie to you, making it indeed impossible for you to get the answers you seek. undecided
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:17pm On Jun 19, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

The Bible did say "Taste and See that The Lord is Good" Psalm 34:8.

"Come now, let us reason together" Isaiah 1:18

"By Doubting, we are led to Questioning. By Questioning, we arrive at The Truth"

What if the "truth" leads someone to abandon their religion?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:18pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Nope, I don't mean your Bible. I mean scriptures which your Bible is simply a compendium of a few of them. undecided

2. Ask God Himself your questions. undecided

3. No, I said you should ask God Himself who is said to be True all your questions. Unless you think He will lie to you, making it indeed impossible for you to get the answers you seek. undecided

Scripture literally means writings.
Bible means writings, why are you not using Jewish terminologies for it, it doesn’t suit you, but wicked means unbeliever in Jewish nation? Dumb!

Are you thinking?

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Dtruthspeaker: 2:19pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Wrong question.

The Correct Question is whether
1) You think there is God/Gods or Not?

2) Would you like to have God/gods or not over you, since you know that they would be very much greater you?

3) Do you like Person/persons being greater than you especially persons who can harm you but you can not harm in retaliation?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:20pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

Have you read anything on Judaism and yahwism.
They both go beyond “belief system”.

If you trace it you’ll see the mythology.

Yes I've read on both of them. Mythology literally means a collection of myths and beliefs.

I agree that these beliefs predate the current ones we have today, but tracing the root back to them (which I encourage), still involves questioning the older ones as well. Don't you agree?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:20pm On Jun 19, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Wrong question.

The Correct Question is whether
1) You think there is God/Gods or Not?

2) Would you like to have God/gods or not over you?

And you chose Israelites God/gods, why from the Middle East though?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Great Humanist Quotes That Deserves To Be Mulled Over / John 1:1 - LOGOS and THEOS / Faith (Virtue Or Foe?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.