Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

It's OK To Question Your Beliefs - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / It's OK To Question Your Beliefs (5202 Views)

This Thread Will Shake The Foundations Of Your Beliefs(Pictures Included)) / Faith Oyedepo: You're Under Demonic Influence If You Question Your Husband... / Your Beliefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:59am On Jun 21, 2022
Maynmann:
New new brothers are added everytime, without them you have no salvation even Jesus or is it angel Michael their elder brother can’t question their authority.

Jesus himself said about the Governing Body:

"I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of the heavens, and whatever you may bind on earth will already be bound in the heavens, and whatever you may loosen on earth will already be loosened in the heavens Matthew 16:19

So it's Jesus that gave them that authority and whatever they bind or loosen on earth the heavens have granted it for them, says Jesus of Nazareth!

Na you no sabi them! Matthew 25:31-46 smiley

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynmann: 12:02pm On Jun 21, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Jesus himself said about the Governing Body:

"I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of the heavens, and whatever you may bind on earth will already be bound in the heavens, and whatever you may loosen on earth will already be loosened in the heavens Matthew 16:19

So it's Jesus that gave them that authority and whatever they bind or loosen on earth the heavens have granted it for them, says Jesus of Nazareth!

Na you no sabi them! Matthew 25:31-46 smiley

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:08pm On Jun 21, 2022
Maynmann:

"No weapon formed against you will have any success, And you will condemn any tongue that rises up against you in the judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of Jehovah, And their righteousness is from me,” declares Jehovah" Isaiah 54:17

Glory be to JEHOVAH in the heavens above for one of His enemies has been SILENCED as He promised.
Ọmọ find something better to do with your time than sticking to whatever Wikipedia tells you, it's filled with worthless, hopeless and useless information that's of no practical benefits to you or those listening to you! smiley

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Dtruthspeaker: 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Splendidly organised? Yes. The universe is without a doubt, an awe-inspiring creation. Intelligently designed? Sure. I can agree with that too.

You are still bringing in the universe even when I have shown you that we can not validly and Truth fully talk about it because none of the 2 of us and the billion of the rest of the world, have truth fully gone out of this House called earth to go round the universe, such that we can give Truth Full Report on it.

So, the Truth that we can give if you are interested in Truth, is The ones we can see and we can find and have found "on the earth".

And we can put down the Stones of these Truths, to stand on it, as we build upThe House of Truth, if you are still interested in Truth.

So, would you confine your self to this earth where we can both easily give Truth Full and verifiable/Confirmed Truths and evidence of Truth? (After all we are both on the earth and the question of God rises from the earth. So let us settle it on the earth first, before we go any where else, if you may)

So would you take the correction and confine the debate to the earth, that we both know very well like this first steps of writing begins with A,B,C? (The earth is our A,B,C, so let us do the A,B,C,if you truly care to know the Truth)

Then I can respond to your answer!
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynmann: 3:17pm On Jun 21, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

"No weapon formed against you will have any success, And you will condemn any tongue that rises up against you in the judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of Jehovah, And their righteousness is from me,” declares Jehovah" Isaiah 54:17

Glory be to JEHOVAH in the heavens above for one of His enemies has been SILENCED as He promised.
Ọmọ find something better to do with your time than sticking to whatever Wikipedia tells you, it's filled with worthless, hopeless and useless information that's of no practical benefits to you or those listening to you! smiley

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:23pm On Jun 21, 2022
Maynmann:

Mr Wikipedia! cheesy
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynmann: 3:24pm On Jun 21, 2022
Discreet slave

MaxInDHouse:

Mr Wikipedia! cheesy

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by justlove91(m): 9:02pm On Jun 22, 2022
Akakanfirstclass:

I dont know as They didnt tell me their origin..
or maybe I was to afraid to ask..

mind you, when I say personal encounter I mean a physical witnessing of three beings standing before me, in my room with a shape of man but no a man's body rather a nature of light like a white florescent light..

not a vision or dream but they came to me while I was in a very conscious state..

although I was too afraid and puzzled to ask questions then, because I was younger back then.
so I pretended to be a furniture covering my face while Shivering but they didn't seem to buy the idea.

my greatest wish is that they come to me again let us talk man to man or man to spirit.

pls these beings were not ghosts..

although after many years apart, I ater read the Christian book of revelation where Christ appeared to John, and it reminded me of my encounter because John was so afraid that he fell down as though he was dead.

although the three beings I saw dis t exactly match John's description but they were just like man but with a florescent light in nature not man's body. .

so I can't tell whether it was abrahamic God or not but I Believe they maybe many gods but one Almighty God irrespective of religion. .

I have had several other encounters that is beyond scientific explanations hence my believe in God.
I think you're a clairvoyant and those beings you saw are not gods but people that once lived in this world but are now a citizen of light sphere in the spirit world. You can message me if you want to know more about this.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by justlove91(m): 9:07pm On Jun 22, 2022
Akakanfirstclass:

whatever God is, I don't know
and I wasn't on trance. it wasn't like the book of revelation. it was as real you holding your phone consciously to read these texts.

well, whatever.

but whatsoever is beyond scientific explanations is supernatural and God is supernatural..

what would you say about scenarios where I dream things, I write them down or tell it to people and later it Happens in exact manner which I dreamt it or sometimes these scenarios have already happened to people but I didn't have the slightest idea about it, but if I dream and tell them, they confirm that exact thing has or is happening to them.

I further researched on these ability as it has happen countless times, infact I dream every time, these days I don't even sleep but I am dreaming, dreams that matches real life scenario..
from my research I arrived at two alternatives..
some people call it clairvoyance while other calls it trance or visions, but I am not a prophet..
hence such scenarios have proven to me that there is a supernatural side in existence and if there is, then there must be God
Why do you think if there is a "supernatural" side to life then there must be God?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by justlove91(m): 9:14pm On Jun 22, 2022
Akakanfirstclass:

by spiritual reference and spiritual angle...
you should understand that I mean you must have seen this God or hear from him and then communicate to him..
and if you see,hear supernatural events that is out of the ordinary should you not believe that there must be God or a supernatural being ?...

in summary we should stop directing our questions of God's existence to historians or religious schoolars but rather we should seek those that claim to have encounter God and ask them our questions or ask God thru them..

and secondly, an encounter with a supernatural being or events is the beginning of proofs that there is God.
because seeing is believing
An encounter with "supernatural beings"(let's assume it's real and not an hallucination) does not proof the existence of God, it only proofs the existence of "supernatural beings"
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by justlove91(m): 9:18pm On Jun 22, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I think these are very important points you've made here. There are several things I would like to address.

First of all, what do you mean by God? If someone has an experience that seems out of the ordinary, how exactly does it prove that a certain "God" exists? A supernatural experience only shows that certain things which cannot be currently explained, have actually occurred.

Let's say for example, I'm in my house, and I suddenly see 5 different people appear and disappear into thin air before my eyes. How exactly does this prove the existence of a "God" .. The experience simply shows that something which seems to defy my current understanding of reality, has happened.

Does this mean you take anything which defies your current concept of reality as a proof of a God?
Exactly, I often tell people that if somehow we are able to proof life after death beyond any doubt it does not automatically proof there is God it only proofs there is life after death.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Akakanfirstclass(m): 10:16pm On Jun 22, 2022
justlove91:

I think you're a clairvoyant and those beings you saw are not gods but people that once lived in this world but are now a citizen of light sphere in the spirit world. You can message me if you want to know more about this.

so beside that...
are you saying there is no God?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynmann: 10:17pm On Jun 22, 2022
Akakanfirstclass:

so beside that...

Are you saying there’s no “Yahweh”?

Because god is a title not a person!
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Akakanfirstclass(m): 10:21pm On Jun 22, 2022
Maynmann:

Are you saying there’s no “Yahweh”?
Because god is a title not a person!
if it is Yahweh you call him.. is he or is he not in existence?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynmann: 10:23pm On Jun 22, 2022
Akakanfirstclass:

if it is Yahweh you call him..
is he or is he not in existence?

Existing in a mythology book.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by justlove91(m): 7:24am On Jun 23, 2022
Akakanfirstclass:

so beside that...
I don't know if there is a God or not
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Hismasterpiece(m): 10:59pm On Jun 24, 2022
Wilgrea7:
Happy Sunday wonderful people.

When it comes to religion, especially in Nigeria, questioning your specific religion or beliefs is something that's usually frowned upon. In any civilized society, it definitely shouldn't be the case.

I'm not here to try and sway anyone away from what they believe in. I just want people who have questions to know its okay to have those questions. And if they're willing to seek answers objectively, its possible to do so too.

I'll also be creating some more topics on the different aspects of religion, and belief in God/gods in general, as time goes on.

My goal is to have honest, open-minded discussions on topics like this. Stay tuned for more. Peace

You also should take your own advice with regards to your atheistic beliefs, bro
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 4:48am On Jun 25, 2022
Hismasterpiece:

You also should take your own advice with regards to your atheistic beliefs, bro

I never claimed to be an atheist. But yes, I also question whatever beliefs I may have
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:21am On Jun 25, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I never claimed to be an atheist. But yes, I also question whatever beliefs I may have

You don't know what atheism really means my friend, it's not until you claim you're atheist but lack of confidence in what you believe {Psalms 14:1} and failure to do a thorough research to strengthen your faith in God {Proverbs 2:1-5} already makes you an atheist.
That's how they begin the journey into atheism. There is no preaching nor teaching in atheism it's just a gradual process when there's no anchor holding the boat gradually the sea waves takes it away {Hebrews 6:19} from failure to fill your minds with healthful teachings you will start debunking God until you finally find yourself in the school of thought called ATHEISM! Matthew 12:43-45
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 9:36am On Jun 25, 2022
First of all, I appreciate you posting bible verses, but I'd like to let you know that they do absolutely nothing to strengthen the point of your argument. Moving on.

MaxInDHouse:

You don't know what atheism really means my friend, it's not until you claim you're atheist but lack of confidence in what you believe {Psalms 14:1}

I don't lack confidence in any belief. I simply lack beliefs in certain things, primarily due to lack of evidence.

and failure to do a thorough research to strengthen your faith in God {Proverbs 2:1-5} already makes you an atheist.

I'm curious. How would you describe "research" .... In this case, unbiased and objective research.

That's how they begin the journey into atheism. There is no preaching nor teaching in atheism

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a god. It's not a religion or a belief system. There's no methodology involved.

it's just a gradual process when there's no anchor holding the boat gradually the sea waves takes it away {Hebrews 6:19} from failure to fill your minds with healthful teachings you will start debunking God until you finally find yourself in the school of thought called ATHEISM! Matthew 12:43-45

Your analogy of the boat and the anchor really don't relate to the situation of a belief or lack thereof in a god.

Also, What do you mean by debunking god? To debunk something is to show that something which was believed to be true, is actually false. For someone to debunk god as you claim, that means the person is proving that god is false. Are you presupposing that god is false?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:52am On Jun 25, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I'm curious. How would you describe "research" .... In this case, unbiased and objective research.

This is the only point i found in your write-up!

First of all when you hear the title "GOD" what comes to your mind?
Well the universal meaning of that title is "SUPREME BEING"
You are an intelligent being (human) out of billions on this planet so what could ever make any being SUPREME?
The word SUPREME connotes higher authority which means when talking about the supreme being all others NEED to take instructions from such a being in order for things to work out orderly in a well organized manner.

So why believe in the existence of a SUPREME BEING (GOD)?

Remember that each being has what it takes to reason and do things to the best of his/her understanding and since we have to relate or cohabit then we NEED someone who will teach us how to cohabit peacefully.

Well that's the reason why all intelligent beings must believe in the existence of GOD otherwise we can never live peacefully despite all our scientific discoveries!

Please if i may know what exactly do you want to know or questions bothering your mind about the existence of GOD? smiley

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 10:17am On Jun 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

This is the only point i found in your write-up!

First of all when you hear the title "GOD" what comes to your mind?
Well the universal meaning of that title is "SUPREME BEING"

The notion of God varies from belief system to belief system. But yes, the universal notion is a supreme being, responsible for the creation of the world as we know it. It's not one I generally accept. But yeah, it's what most people believe.

You are an intelligent being (human) out of billions on this planet so what could ever make any being SUPREME?
The word SUPREME connotes higher authority which means when talking about the supreme being all others NEED to take instructions from such a being in order for things to work out orderly in a well organized manner.

This assumes the existence of a "supreme being", which I don't generally subscribe to.

So why believe in the existence of a SUPREME BEING (GOD)?

Remember that each being has what it takes to reason and do things to the best of his/her understanding and since we have to relate or cohabit then we NEED someone who will teach us how to cohabit peacefully.

Well that's the reason why all intelligent beings must believe in the existence of GOD otherwise we can never live peacefully despite all our scientific discoveries!

So you're saying we need a god in order to be able to live peacefully with each other? I also don't necessarily think so. Understanding, empathy and communication seem like way more important factors when it comes to peaceful living than the existence of a god

Please if i may know what exactly do you want to know or questions bothering your mind about the existence of GOD? smiley

Thank you for asking. I actually have a few. I'm thinking of opening a thread about it soon. But I'll give a quick summary here.

1. Why do you equate a first cause, to a God?
2. Why singular? Why can't it be plural?
3. Why does this "God" have to be supreme? Why can't a god have another god above it? Must something necessarily be the first cause to cause something else?

I have a lot more, and I intend to open up a thread for them soon. But yeah. These are some of the questions i have

Also, you still haven't addressed my point on what you mean by "research", and how exactly it should be carried out
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:40am On Jun 25, 2022
Wilgrea7:

1. Why do you equate a first cause, to a God?
2. Why singular? Why can't it be plural?
3. Why does this "God" have to be supreme? Why can't a god have another god above it? Must something necessarily be the first cause to cause something else?

Also, you still haven't addressed my point on what you mean by "research", and how exactly it should be carried out

All your questions will be answered in just one research:

What is the purpose of life!

YES a research by questioning why we are here and why we have failed to live peacefully despite all we have achieved with science and technology.
If you work on these two all your questions will fall in place and you'll be able to answer all by yourself! smiley

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 11:25am On Jun 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

All your questions will be answered in just one research:

What is the purpose of life!

You didn't answer my questions... You just responded with a completely different and unrelated question

YES a research by questioning why we are here and why we have failed to live peacefully despite all we have achieved with science and technology.
If you work on these two all your questions will fall in place and you'll be able to answer all by yourself! smiley

I asked you what you meant by research... And how to carry out said research... I didn't ask what topics to do the research on... You're not answering my questions... You're trying to shift the goal post here
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:41am On Jun 25, 2022
Wilgrea7:

You didn't answer my questions... You just responded with a completely different and unrelated question

I asked you what you meant by research... And how to carry out said research... I didn't ask what topics to do the research on... You're not answering my questions... You're trying to shift the goal post here

You're asking questions pertaining to what no man can see: GOD a spirit.

So there's no other way to go about a research on what you can't see except by first considering the positive effects of such an entity.
For instance do you believe in the force of gravity? If you do have you seen anything called gravity? Of course not but it's the effects of it's force that you can only see not gravity in itself.

So all your questions can only be answered when you focus on the purpose of life but if you don't think that life has a purpose then why do think humans should reason with one another and ensure peach among themselves?
Animals are living in the jungle nah and they don't bloody care about peaceful coexistence so why do you think humans should do if life doesn't have a purpose?

So one thing leads to another you can't do any research on what you can't see my friend your research must start with what you can see in order to validate the invisible! smiley

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 12:42pm On Jun 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

You're asking questions pertaining to what no man can see: GOD a spirit.

So there's no other way to go about a research on what you can't see except by first considering the positive effects of such an entity.
For instance do you believe in the force of gravity? If you do have you seen anything called gravity? Of course not but it's the effects of it's force that you can only see not gravity in itself.

Your example of gravity is a very good one. Belief, or lack thereof in gravity won't change the fact that it exists. We know gravity is real because we experience its effect, and can measure it. We know that gravity exists. But when it comes to what exactly gravity is, then that's where things get a bit tricky.

I don't want to go too much into it, but I'll give you a brief summary. Isaac newton saw gravity as a force, which simply drew two objects of mass towards each other. That was where our knowledge, based on the observation of events in our universe could reach at the time.

Einstein came along, after studying the movement of cosmic bodies, said gravity was not just a force, but an actual distortion of space time, like a heavy ball on a trampoline, that causes other things on the trampoline to fall towards it. Our knowledge of what gravity was expanded, based on further observations.

On to God. You said God was a spirit. On what basis, or knowledge did you draw this conclusion? Your statement "God is a spirit" implies 2 things.

1. There exists a God, singular
2. He/she/It is a spirit

You need to show reasons for this conclusion. Effects of something and nature of something are 2 completely different things. We can feel and measure the effect of gravity. But we still do not yet understand it's nature. We know what it does. We don't know why.

So all your questions can only be answered when you focus on the purpose of life but if you don't think that life has a purpose then why do think humans should reason with one another and ensure peach among themselves?

You're shifting the goal post once again. I'm not talking about a purpose in life, or why people should live in harmony with each other. That's not the subject of this debate. The subject is about the existence of a "supreme God" in the sense you have described, which you've failed to prove to me.

Animals are living in the jungle nah and they don't bloody care about peaceful coexistence so why do you think humans should do if life doesn't have a purpose?

Animals do not have the mental capacity to care about peaceful coexistence. They don't have the ability to reason like humans can. They are driven primarily by their instincts. It has nothing to do with a god

So one thing leads to another you can't do any research on what you can't see my friend your research must start with what you can see in order to validate the invisible! smiley[/quote]
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:12pm On Jun 25, 2022
I only used the gravity as a case study to prove that there are things we AGREE exists even though we don't know everything about it so thanks for confirming that!

Wilgrea7:

On to God. You said God was a spirit. On what basis, or knowledge did you draw this conclusion? Your statement "God is a spirit" implies 2 things.

1. There exists a God, singular
2. He/she/It is a spirit

You need to show reasons for this conclusion. Effects of something and nature of something are 2 completely different things. We can feel and measure the effect of gravity. But we still do not yet understand it's nature. We know what it does. We don't know why.

Now let's reason like intellectuals!
Note that at the mention of GRAVITY you recall the name "Isaac Newton" as if he knows everything about gravity but there are still lot of things hidden that we don't know about gravity so why do you think Isaac's research should be trusted?
What if there are several researchers with different conclusion on what is dragging all objects within the atmosphere towards the earth?
Isaac is not the maker of gravity neither did he saw gravity he only told you what you should believe (trust) regarding gravity and ever since then billions engraved his name in their hearts with the word "GRAVITY" as if he knew at all! smiley

There are many informations about God, Gods, Goddess and Goddesses so before you can ascertain facts then you need to think about what each God/Goddess has to say about life and how we got here.
Have you experienced magical acts before?
What do you think is behind magic?
Well let me be your Isaac Newton on this: it's the supernatural forces known as SPIRITS.
You can't see them with your physical eyes but can perceive their presence through what they are doing around you!
So they exist. But when it comes to whether they are Hes, Shes, or Its you need another research on that.

You're shifting the goal post once again. I'm not talking about a purpose in life, or why people should live in harmony with each other. That's not the subject of this debate. The subject is about the existence of a "supreme God" in the sense you have described, which you've failed to prove to me.

Animals do not have the mental capacity to care about peaceful coexistence. They don't have the ability to reason like humans can. They are driven primarily by their instincts. It has nothing to do with a god

Have you reason why we have everything in common with animals like the characteristics of living things except for the fact that they are not mentally sound like humans? Genesis 1:20-28

So just as you swallowed the gravity issues hook line and sinker from Isaac's research why not find out which God/Goddess has anything tangible to say about why humans are the only living beings with mental capacity to care about life and how to improve it! smiley
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 1:57pm On Jun 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
I only used the gravity as a case study to prove that there are things we AGREE exists even though we don't know everything about it so thanks for confirming that!

Of course. I agree with that.

Now let's reason like intellectuals!
Note that at the mention of GRAVITY you recall the name "Isaac Newton" as if he knows everything about gravity but there are still lot of things hidden that we don't know about gravity so why do you think Isaac's research should be trusted?

Several problems here. First of all, Isaac Newton never claimed to know everything about gravity. I have no idea where you got that impression.

What if there are several researchers with different conclusion on what is dragging all objects within the atmosphere towards the earth?
Isaac is not the maker of gravity neither did he saw gravity he only told you what you should believe (trust) regarding gravity and ever since then billions engraved his name in their hearts with the word "GRAVITY" as if he knew at all! smiley

Ok.. This is pretty funny. First of all, No one ever said Newton is the maker of gravity. You're making it sound like Newton woke up one morning and decided.. "Hey, let me say gravity is this and that" and people just decided to go along with him. That's not how the scientific method works.

Whatever theory you have is tested and verified multiple times, on multiple occasions before it is accepted as true. And even then, it is still subject to change if someone discovers compelling evidence that contradicts it. That's how Einstein's theory of gravity came to be.
No one in the scientific community accepts any explanation hook, line and sinker without demanding for proof, or evidence of such claims. I think you're describing the wrong community here.

There are many information about God, Gods, Goddess and Goddesses so before you can ascertain facts then you need to think about what each God/Goddess has to say about life and how we got here.

How does someone's opinion on life determine whether or not I have to believe in them? Also, there's a difference between "A god said this", and "someone said that a god said this". Most stories revolving gods in religion fall into the second category.

Have you experienced magical acts before?
What do you think is behind magic?

By magic, I assume you mean things termed as "supernatural". I made a thread about it recently, and why supernatural or as you would put them "magical" events don't serve as proof of a god. It's way too long to post here, but I encourage you to check it out, and possibly give your opinion on it too.

Well let me be your Isaac Newton on this: it's the supernatural forces known as SPIRITS.

If you want to be my Isaac Newton, you need to provide proofs for your claims. Testable, verifiable proof. And not just word of mouth.

You can't see them with your physical eyes but can perceive their presence through what they are doing around you!

And what exactly would that be?

Have you reason why we have everything in common with animals like the characteristics of living things except for the fact that they are not mentally sound like humans? Genesis 1:20-28

If you're talking about consciousness, No i don't understand it. It's still a mystery to us.

So just as you swallowed the gravity issues hook line and sinker from Isaac's research why not find out which God/Goddess has anything tangible to say about why humans are the only living beings with mental capacity to care about life and how to improve it! smiley

Once again, swallowing things hook, line and sinker isn't a characteristic of the scientific community.

Secondly, anybody that claims to know the reason behind consciousness, needs to provide some sort of proof of it. Stories about why we are different are still stories until they are proven true.

If i told you that the reason we're different from animals in terms of consciousness is because the we have something in our skin which absorbs invisible non-uv rays from the sun, would you believe me? Whatever claim anyone makes, they need to be backed by verifiable evidence. Or else they're just claims.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:59pm On Jun 25, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Of course. I agree with that.
Several problems here. First of all, Isaac Newton never claimed to know everything about gravity. I have no idea where you got that impression.
Ok.. This is pretty funny. First of all, No one ever said Newton is the maker of gravity. You're making it sound like Newton woke up one morning and decided.. "Hey, let me say gravity is this and that" and people just decided to go along with him. That's not how the scientific method works.
Whatever theory you have is tested and verified multiple times, on multiple occasions before it is accepted as true. And even then, it is still subject to change if someone discovers compelling evidence that contradicts it. That's how Einstein's theory of gravity came to be.
No one in the scientific community accepts any explanation hook, line and sinker without demanding for proof, or evidence of such claims. I think you're describing the wrong community here. How does someone's opinion on life determine whether or not I have to believe in them? Also, there's a difference between "A god said this", and "someone said that a god said this". Most stories revolving gods in religion fall into the second category.
Did you see Isaac Newton or you believe what was written about Isaac Newton and his discovery?
Well testing what God said is possible because God can't be seen but what God said can be proved. God said He created man in His image and ever since then no creature can make things better except humans. That is evidence that what God said is true! Genesis 1:20-28
By magic, I assume you mean things termed as "supernatural". I made a thread about it recently, and why supernatural or as you would put them "magical" events don't serve as proof of a god. It's way too long to post here, but I encourage you to check it out, and possibly give your opinion on it too.
If you want to be my Isaac Newton, you need to provide proofs for your claims. Testable, verifiable proof. And not just word of mouth.
And what exactly would that be?
If you believe in supernatural forces then there's no reason to doubt the existence of spirits, you agree with gravity without seeing it nor Isaac Newton but it's only the effect that convinced you so you have no excuse doubting the existence of spirits behind the supernatural things happening.

If you're talking about consciousness, No i don't understand it. It's still a mystery to us. Once again, swallowing things hook, line and sinker isn't a characteristic of the scientific community. Secondly, anybody that claims to know the reason behind consciousness, needs to provide some sort of proof of it. Stories about why we are different are still stories until they are proven true.
If i told you that the reason we're different from animals in terms of consciousness is because the we have something in our skin which absorbs invisible non-uv rays from the sun, would you believe me? Whatever claim anyone makes, they need to be backed by verifiable evidence. Or else they're just claims.
Now i understand you science is what you want to believe, well there's no need worrying yourself let science answer your questions since you trust in VERIFIABLE EVIDENCES and faith in God only comes with results.

You can't see God but you'll see what He said around you, He said there are many spirits claiming gods/goddesses but they are fallen angels they can't tell you anything about how life gets here.
So it's obvious you're already an atheist after questioning your beliefs you should find what science can do to make you cohabit peacefully with your fellowman. Know today that God has brought people from different races throughout the earth to form one big and happy family of peace loving worshipers globally just as He promised {Isaiah 2:2-4; Zephaniah 3:9} science can never find any solution to that rather they will continue to invent destructive weapons to force their opinion on their fellowman! Revelations 6:3-4

Stop deceiving yourself you're already an atheist! cheesy

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 5:33pm On Jun 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Did you see Isaac Newton or you believe what was written about Isaac Newton and his discovery?

This is a completely faulty analogy. It's not a case of whether or not Isaac Newton existed. His discovery of the laws of gravity is what's important here. The laws were tested and verified. That's why they were accepted as fact. The existence of the person is of no significance in this situation.

Well testing what God said is possible because God can't be seen but what God said can be proved. God said He created man in His image and ever since then no creature can make things better except humans. That is evidence that what God said is true! Genesis 1:20-28

This, once again, is another completely flawed analogy. Secondly, this statement works against your argument. You said "God said He created man in His image". Now, this is a claim of creation. In order to verify the claim, we need 2 things.

1. To see the entity who claimed to "create" humans in his own image, to see if we indeed look like him.
2. Objective proof that he indeed was the one responsible for the creation. Word of mouth is not effective here.

Let me give you 2 scenarios to prove my point. Let's say you receive a letter one day from someone claiming they were your father, and you looked exactly like them. Would you believe the claim just by reading the letter, without even seeing the person or a picture of the person.

Now, scenario 2. Let's say some random guy shows up at your doorstep and claims to be your father. Would you just accept the claim, or would you ask for some proof... Let's say do a DNA test, and things like that. Or would you just accept the word of mouth?

The biblical claim, as you've cited here is simply word of mouth. There's no proof to back up either claims.

If you believe in supernatural forces then there's no reason to doubt the existence of spirits, you agree with gravity without seeing it nor Isaac Newton but it's only the effect that convinced you so you have no excuse doubting the existence of spirits behind the supernatural things happening.

Another faulty analogy. The reason we KNOW gravity exists, even though we can't see it, is because we experience and can measure its effect. I think I've said this like 10 times now. Also, from the looks of things, it seems you didn't go through my thread on supernatural events, so I'll quickly summarize here.

The whole point of "supernatural" is something that seems to be above our current understanding of the natural world. To claim something to be truly supernatural, you're implying that you already completely understand the natural world, and hence, such things could have NEVER occurred in the natural world. And in case you don't know, we are nowhere near understanding reality. We know for sure that things exist outside our 5 senses. Just because something exists outside our 5 senses, doesn't mean its supernatural.

UV rays, gamma rays, and other electromagnetic waves are an example. Gravity is an example. We can't sense them with our 5 senses. But they're still very much natural. Same goes for your "supernatural forces".

Now i understand you science is what you want to believe, well there's no need worrying yourself let science answer your questions since you trust in VERIFIABLE EVIDENCES and faith in God only comes with results.

Science is not a belief system. You don't believe science any more than you believe in gravity.

You can't see God but you'll see what He said around you, He said there are many spirits claiming gods/goddesses but they are fallen angels they can't tell you anything about how life gets here.
Anyone who claims to know how life got here needs to come with evidence to back up their claim... or else it's just a claim.

So it's obvious you're already an atheist after questioning your beliefs you should find what science can do to make you cohabit peacefully with your fellowman. Know today that God has brought people from different races throughout the earth to form one big and happy family of peace loving worshipers globally just as He promised {Isaiah 2:2-4; Zephaniah 3:9} science can never find any solution to that rather they will continue to invent destructive weapons to force their opinion on their fellowman! Revelations 6:3-4

Stop deceiving yourself you're already an atheist! cheesy

Once again, living peacefully with others has nothing to do with a god. It has to do with the people involved. I think I've said this like 200 times.

Also, I'm not rejecting atheism. I don't know where you keep getting that idea. I just don't label myself as one.

Thirdly, for someone using a mobile phone, connected to the internet, in a physical building, with access to electricity (even though periodically), and clean drinking water, you sure seem to dislike science
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:13pm On Jun 25, 2022
When questioning beliefs i hope you questions everything too.
Science is not against God neither is God against science, God has His own place and science has its place. God is giving believers what Science can't give but as for science i think life has always been sweet with or without scientific discoveries!
Life first then discoveries follows so if you're questioning everything about God i hope Science also answer all your questions about life and peaceful cohabitation which of course science has failed woefully to produce! smiley

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 6:23pm On Jun 25, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
When questioning beliefs i hope you questions everything too.
Science is not against God neither is God against science, God has His own place and science has its place. God is giving believers what Science can't give but as for science i think life has always been sweet with or without scientific discoveries!
Life first then discoveries follows so if you're questioning everything about God i hope Science also answer all your questions about life and peaceful cohabitation which of course science has failed woefully to produce! smiley

Thank you smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

God And Many Of Us Are Fedup With All This Prosperity Garbage Gospel / Catholic Most Privileged Church, The Pillar And Foundation Of Truth / Proof Of Plagiarism In The Christian New Testament From The Jewish Old Testament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.