Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

It's OK To Question Your Beliefs - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / It's OK To Question Your Beliefs (5205 Views)

This Thread Will Shake The Foundations Of Your Beliefs(Pictures Included)) / Faith Oyedepo: You're Under Demonic Influence If You Question Your Husband... / Your Beliefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by TAYO124: 2:21pm On Jun 19, 2022
Usually Islam forbids you ask questions which doubt the existence of ‘allah’ many occultic movements also forbid questioning their “modus operandi”
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:21pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Yes I've read on both of them. Mythology literally means a collection of myths and beliefs.

I agree that these beliefs predate the current ones we have today, but tracing the root back to them (which I encourage), still involves questioning the older ones as well. Don't you agree?

Tracing the roots back to them takes you to the same place. Belief is from Doxa contrast to episteme.
I doubt you’ve read ANYTHING on them, it’s glaring.

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:22pm On Jun 19, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Wrong question.

The Correct Question is whether
1) You think there is God/Gods or Not?

2) Would you like to have God/gods or not over you, since you know that they would be very much greater you?

The second question assumes the first one is correct. The first question, which is whether or not a God/gods exists, is literally part of the whole process of questioning your beliefs (at least for most people).
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by sonmvayina(m): 2:23pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

You didn’t get it a bit, Christianity is borrowing their belief system.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahwism

This is a complete miss.

The god el you describe would be "Enlil" his consort is "Ninlil" not asherah. One of their 70 sons is yaweh and his consort is Asherah. The creator God in the Ugaritic text is Marduk. He is the universe itself. He is the lugal dimmer ankia which means divine king of heaven and earth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LM-8m6xWSk
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:23pm On Jun 19, 2022
TAYO124:
Usually Islam forbids you ask questions which doubt the existence of ‘allah’ many occultic movements also forbid questioning their “modus operandi”

That doesn't sound like a very good thing

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Dtruthspeaker: 2:24pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

And you chose Israelites God/gods, why from the Middle East though?

He is The Only One Who Spoke and Speaks As A God would Speak!

2 Likes

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:26pm On Jun 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

This is a complete miss.

The god el you describe would be "Enlil" his consort is "Ninlil" not asherah. One of their 70 sons is yaweh and his consort is Asherah. The creator God in the Ugaritic text is Marduk. He is the universe itself. He is the lugal dimmer ankia which means divine king of heaven and earth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LM-8m6xWSk
El is different form enlil.

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:27pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

Tracing the roots back to them takes you to the same place. Belief is from Doxa contrast to episteme.
I doubt you’ve read ANYTHING on them, it’s glaring.

I think maybe we misunderstand each other. Do you agree these older religions/belief systems (Yahwism in this case) is simply a belief, or do you classify them as objective knowledge?

For example, the existence of El and the Elohim, which was part of the belief system back then. Do you take it as objective knowledge, or as just a belief which is also subject to scrutiny?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by TAYO124: 2:28pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

That doesn't sound like a very good thing

That’s the truth though, some of this practices seek to control the minds of people as if they were ‘Robots’. That is why we see a mechanical following, this people are ready like suicide bombers to sacrifice their own lives.

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:30pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I think maybe we misunderstand each other. Do you agree these older religions/belief systems (Yahwism in this case) is simply a belief, or do you classify them as objective knowledge?

For example, the existence of El and the Elohim, which was part of the belief system back then. Do you take it as objective knowledge, or as just a belief which is also subject to scrutiny?

The origin of the word aligns with it, yahwism goes beyond belief system.
Are you sure you have read anything on this?

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by TAYO124: 2:30pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

El is different form enlil.

For the sake of referencing No serious researcher/ writer relies solely on Wikipedia.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:31pm On Jun 19, 2022
TAYO124:

For the sake of referencing No serious researcher/ writer relies solely on Wikipedia.

Send me the books you’ve read on Semitic gods.

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by sonmvayina(m): 2:35pm On Jun 19, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMCOoSYB3Q4

The creation of the universe..for the wise.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:40pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

The origin of the word aligns with it, yahwism goes beyond belief system.
Are you sure you have read anything on this?

I apologize, but now I'm confused. I understand the etymology of the word. That isn't the point I'm trying to present.

You said religions like Christianity can be traced back to Judaism which can further be traced back to Yahwism. And Yahwism believed in the existence of gods and pantheons like elohim. I understand the etymology of the word and what it means.

What I'm saying is, the notions or beliefs people held about this said Elohim, El, and the other gods that they believed existed at the time, Do you agree that these notions are subject to questioning, or are they an absolute truth?
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:41pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I apologize, but now I'm confused. I understand the etymology of the word. That isn't the point I'm trying to present.

You said religions like Christianity can be traced back to Judaism which can further be traced back to Yahwism. And Yahwism believed in the existence of gods and pantheons like elohim. I understand the etymology of the word and what it means.

What I'm saying is, the notions or beliefs people held about this said Elohim, El, and the other gods that they believed existed at the time, Do you agree that these notions are subject to questioning, or are they an absolute truth?

But you claim you have read on Judaism and Yahwism, do you know the origin of the word “Judaism” and “yahwism”
What exactly have you read on it then?

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by sonmvayina(m): 2:42pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

Send me the books you’ve read on Semitic gods.

Marduk is the son of enki..

He won his place by defeating tiamat.

He created the universe from her remains.

He was crowned king of the gods.

This is Marduk with the universe as his gaments..

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:44pm On Jun 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

Marduk is the son of enki..

He won his place by defeating tiamat.

He created the universe from her remains.

He was crowned king of the gods.

This is Marduk with the universe as his gaments..

Mesopotamia mythology.
Send me the books you’ve read on Semitic gods

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:46pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

But you claim you have read on Judaism and Yahwism, do you know the origin of the word “Judaism” and “yahwism”
What exactly have you read on it then?

Sir... I'm not talking about the origins of the words. I'm taking about what the followers of these systems believed.

I initially said it was ok for people to question their beliefs. I didn't say anything specific about the origin. I meant questioning what their beliefs are. If they trace their beliefs back to Judaism and Yahwism, doesn't that also mean these other beliefs should be questioned as well?

That's my point. I'm not trying to make a point on the meaning or etymology of the names used here.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by sonmvayina(m): 2:47pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

Mesopotamia mythology.
Send me the books you’ve read on Semitic gods

Read the Enuma Elish
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:48pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Sir... I'm not talking about the origins of the words. I'm taking about what the followers of these systems believed.

I initially said it was ok for people to question their beliefs. I didn't say anything specific about the origin. I meant questioning what their beliefs are. If they trace their beliefs back to Judaism and Yahwism, doesn't that also mean these other beliefs should be questioned as well?

That's my point. I'm not trying to make a point on the meaning or etymology of the names used here.
I doubt you’ve read anything on Judaism and yahwism.

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 2:49pm On Jun 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

Read the Enuma Elish

Yes it’s a mythology, have you read epic of Gilgamesh?

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Kobojunkie: 2:52pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

What questions would you have of Judaism which is belief in YHWH? undecided
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Dtruthspeaker: 2:53pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

The second question assumes the first one is correct. The first question, which is whether or not a God/gods exists, is literally part of the whole process of questioning your beliefs (at least for most people).

The second question reveals The Truth of the secrets and wshes in your mind, whether you secretly entertain a desire for the absence of God (since we know that the Presence of God can be adverse and harm full to us)

Therefore, there is need to see whether your enquiry is biased and based on personal wishes and prefferance, as this would definitely affect the Purity of the Truth of your enquiry.

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:54pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

I doubt you’ve read anything on Judaism and yahwism.

You're clearly missing my point. I think you misunderstood what I meant by "questioning your belief".

For example, the Yahwists believed in the gods Yahweh, and the other ones of the Pantheon known as Elohim. Now Imagine if someone were to ask the question "what proof do I have for the existence of this Pantheon, and how verifiable are the claims made about them?" That's what I mean by questioning the beliefs. It has nothing to do with Etymology of names
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:55pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What questions would you have of Judaism which is belief in YHWH? undecided

Everything. Their claims of who their God is, and the basis, as well as evidence for those claims.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 2:57pm On Jun 19, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

The second question reveals The Truth of the secrets and wshes in your mind, whether you secretly entertain a desire for the absence of God (since we know that the Presence of God can be adverse and harm full to us)

Therefore, there is need to see whether your enquiry is biased and based on personal wishes and prefferance, as this would definitely affect the Purity of the Truth of your enquiry.

My desire for the existence of a God has no effect on whether a god exists or not. If a God exists, me wanting Him/She/It to not exist doesn't matter. Likewise, if a God doesn't exist, me wanting Him/She/It to exist also doesn't matter.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Kobojunkie: 3:01pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:
Everything. Their claims of who their God is, and the basis, as well as evidence for those claims.
If you read through the books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, you will learn the answers to all of your questions about Judaism. undecided

God constituted a Nation of the people of Israel, and gave them a National Constitution which is the Law of Moses aka YHWH(that's what the Law is called) for living in the Land of Canaan, commanding them to Obey all of His commandments to receive the promises contained. That is pretty much the long and short of Judaism. undecided
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Maynman: 3:03pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

You're clearly missing my point. I think you misunderstood what I meant by "questioning your belief".

For example, the Yahwists believed in the gods Yahweh, and the other ones of the Pantheon known as Elohim. Now Imagine if someone were to ask the question "what proof do I have for the existence of this Pantheon, and how verifiable are the claims made about them?" That's what I mean by questioning the beliefs. It has nothing to do with Etymology of names

Read again, they are referred to as “yahwist” by scholars. The origin and history is explained there why not read it, it’s not a BELIEF SYSTEM,
Read slowly. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahwism
The origin of the word trace back to Semitic tribe.
I thought you said you have read on it?
These are too basic questions.
The “yahwists” believed, lol you think they are like other Christians and Muslims, that just explains all I need to know about you.

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Dtruthspeaker: 3:14pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

My desire for the existence of a God has no effect on whether a god exists or not.

True! But it has an effect on the Truth Fullness of the Results of your enquiry.
Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Dtruthspeaker: 3:21pm On Jun 19, 2022
Wilgrea7:

What if the "truth" leads someone to abandon their religion?

That is what Truth Does!

However, it means

1) You were on a Lie religion way.
2) You decided to abandon that Lie religion way and
3) You decided to enter into the Truth religion way.

Truth is just A Way but Abandoning or Non-Abandoning is your own doing!

1 Like

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 3:23pm On Jun 19, 2022
Maynman:

Read again, they are referred to as “yahwist” by scholars. The origin and history is explained there why not read it, it’s not a BELIEF SYSTEM,
Read slowly. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahwism
The origin of the word trace back to Semitic tribe.
I thought you said you have read on it?
This are too basic questions

I apologize, but I'll need to end this discussion here.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the questioning of beliefs, not to prove etymologies or whether or not Yahwism is more than a belief system or not

If you want to discuss this further, you are free to open a different thread, and I'll be more than happy to join you there.. but let's try not to derail this one.. thanks

2 Likes

Re: It's OK To Question Your Beliefs by Wilgrea7(m): 3:24pm On Jun 19, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

That is what Truth Does!

However, it means

1) You were on a Lie religion way.
2) You decided to abandon that Lie religion way and
3) You decided to enter into the Truth religion way.

Truth is just A Way but Abandoning or Non-Abandoning is your own doing!

I never said the truth was related to any religion. What of the truth makes someone an atheist?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Proof Of Plagiarism In The Christian New Testament From The Jewish Old Testament / The Qur’an – A Manual For Suicide Bombers / I Hate The Devil And So Should You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.