Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,548 members, 7,837,097 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2594) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1496521 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2591) (2592) (2593) (2594) (2595) (2596) (2597) ... (4702) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 7:36pm On May 22, 2023
iamoyindamola:
It's a good thing to have a refinery, the question we have is will it reduce our cost of production and reduce the price of petrol for the final consumers
That's the koko
Una too they hurry do copy and paste oga oo

Yes it will. It will first eliminate landing and storage cost because Dangote refinery has over 1.4bn storage facilities.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 7:38pm On May 22, 2023
hopefulLandlord:

If we're to look at effect of other things Dangote took over in the past like Cement etc then it's certain it won't reduce cost of production, neither would it reduce price of PMS and other petroleum products the refinery would be churning out, it would rather increase exponentially the prices of petroleum products but it would most likely be gradual and Nigerians would be poorer for it.

Of course not. There’s a reason why NNPC has a 20% stake in the business and they are the one that will be supplying the refinery crude.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 7:39pm On May 22, 2023
So now this is the issue Nigeria spends a big chunk of FX paying for the importation of petroleum products. Logical with that gone you won't have to waste scarce dollars on fuel imports meaning stronger currency. Dangote will also be exporting meaning more fx entering the economy. The multiplier effect can of this project can only be imagined from plastics, road construction and even power/water supply.

Will the price be low? it depends cos I don't know at what price NNPC will sell crude to Dangote plus if he decides to import the crude then prices will reflect the cost of the crude oil he brought in plus cost of production added on top but experts say it's unlikely the price will be low.

iamoyindamola:
It's a good thing to have a refinery, the question we have is will it reduce our cost of production and reduce the price of petrol for the final consumers
That's the koko
Una too they hurry do copy and paste oga oo
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by hopefulLandlord: 7:41pm On May 22, 2023
larride:

Of course not. There’s a reason why NNPC has a 20% stake in the business and they are the one that will be supplying the refinery crude.

forgive me but I can't seem to figure out if you're agreeing with me or not
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 7:41pm On May 22, 2023
larride:

Yes it will. It will first eliminate landing and storage cost because Dangote refinery has over 1.4bn storage facilities.
That's encouraging
izzou:

It would

The decrease may be little, but it would.

August no far again, but i am sensing we may experience some form of scarcity before then; especially when there would be a transition from imported fuel to that of Dangote
This is what I was expecting to see, the effect of the refinery not one story about a foolish somebody that built something grin grin
Shey na that one we go chop
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 7:43pm On May 22, 2023
chrisooblog:
So now this is the issue Nigeria spends a big chunk of FX paying for the importation of petroleum products. Logical with that gone you won't have to waste scarce dollars on fuel imports meaning stronger currency. Dangote will also be exporting meaning more fx entering the economy. The multiplier effect can of this project can only be imagined from plastics, road construction and even power/water supply.

Will the price be low? it depends cos I don't know at what price NNPC will sell crude to Dangote plus if he decides to import the crude then prices will reflect the cost of the crude oil he brought in plus cost of production added on top but experts say it's unlikely the price will be low.

You know what I am thinking?
So long we still have these marketers our problem on this petrol is yet to be solved
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 7:44pm On May 22, 2023
You're missing the bigger picture the amount of FX that will be saved and added to our economy will seriously boost our reserves and bring the Naira/$ exchange rate lower which you can only imagine how that will have a positive effective on manufacturing cos you won't have to so much unlike now to bring in your raw materials.

hopefulLandlord:

If we're to look at effect of other things Dangote took over in the past and present like Cement etc then it's certain it won't reduce cost of production, neither would it reduce price of PMS and other petroleum products the refinery would be churning out, it would rather increase exponentially the prices of petroleum products but it would most likely be gradual and Nigerians would be poorer for it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 7:47pm On May 22, 2023
hopefulLandlord:

If we're to look at effect of other things Dangote took over in the past and present like Cement etc then it's certain it won't reduce cost of production, neither would it reduce price of PMS and other petroleum products the refinery would be churning out, it would rather increase exponentially the prices of petroleum products but it would most likely be gradual and Nigerians would be poorer for it.

I have my fear in this too
Dangote products are normally expensive or on par with other brands in price
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 7:48pm On May 22, 2023
Once there's no fuel subsidy marketers won't really have a say on anything. The market will be free for everyone to sell petroleum products anyhow they want. Even if they still insist on wanting to import it won't make economic sense due to subsidy removal because the imported fuel will cost way more than whatever price Dangote will be selling his for.

iamoyindamola:

You know what I am thinking?
So long we still have these marketers our problem on this petrol is yet to be solved

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 7:53pm On May 22, 2023
If you're talking about cement is it cheaper to import it? If so why hasn't anyone done it? Any if his cement is over priced why hasn't anyone produced their own affordable cement?

iamoyindamola:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 7:53pm On May 22, 2023
chrisooblog:
You're missing the bigger picture the amount of FX that will be saved and added to our economy will seriously boost our reserves and bring the Naira/$ exchange rate lower which you can only imagine how that will have a positive effective on manufacturing cos you won't have to so much unlike now to bring in your raw materials.

Very true. Dangote will buy the crude oil from FG in Naira. So much FX will be saved which will in turn impact on the economy. It has the capacity to export which will also generate forex for us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 7:59pm On May 22, 2023
chrisooblog:
If you're talking about cement is it cheaper to import it? If so why hasn't anyone done it? Any if his cement is over priced why hasn't anyone produced their own affordable cement?

You'll have to throw it open to find out.

I think the cement sector is kinda locked. They are not giving room for more competitors.

Dangote, Lafarge and Bua just dey do as dem like.

When they opened the floor in the Flour milling, Dangote sold his Flour mills and ran away with is slippers on his hands.

If you open the gates of the cement industry completely, you may find out it is cheaper
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 8:02pm On May 22, 2023
chrisooblog:

Thanks very much. Nigerians don't know government was loosing huge amount of money subsiding those imported goods during Jonathan's era. FG was given those importers forex then.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 8:17pm On May 22, 2023
If importers should go and look for foreign exchange on their own, the prices of their goods will be way way higher.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 8:21pm On May 22, 2023
But when you say open the gates do you mean allowing cement imports?

For instance do you know that one of the reasons Dangote cement is cheaper in other African countries is because they are competing with Chinese imports.

Dangote is not perfect but I still give him his due.

Lafarge has been operating in Nigeria for years but never thought to set up a local cement plant until Dangote came around.

Same bs MTN was trying to pull in the telecom industry before Glo came and helped reset their brain.

izzou:

I think the cement sector is kinda locked. They are not giving room for more competitors.

When they opened the floor in the Flour milling, Dangote sold his Flour mills and ran away with is slippers on his hands.

If you open the gates of the cement industry completely, you may find out it is cheaper
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 8:27pm On May 22, 2023
hopefulLandlord:

forgive me but I can't seem to figure out if you're agreeing with me or not

Oh sorry I’m disagreeing with you. That we are no longer importing refined fuel means that no more landing cost charges which in most times determine the price of fuel.

It means we can now also remove fuel subsidy since there will be nothing to subsidies anymore.

NNPC will also be the “sole supplier” of crude to the refinery.

The price of diesel, kerosene and Jet A1 will be impacted positively also.

The cost of fertilizers also will be impacted positively.

The multiplier effect of the refinery is huge and hopefully it operate in full capacity with no sabotage.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 8:28pm On May 22, 2023
chrisooblog:
But when you say open the gates do you mean allowing cement imports?

For instance do you know that one of the reasons Dangote cement is cheaper in other African countries is because they are competing with Chinese imports.

Dangote is not perfect but I still give him his due.

Lafarge has been operating in Nigeria for years but never thought to set up a local cement plant until Dangote came around.

Same bs MTN was trying to pull in the telecom industry before Glo came and helped reset their brain.

You just asked if it would be cheaper if it was open to imports naa grin

I give Dangote his accolades too. I am not criticising him. He has helped this country, but then, it is what it is.

Basically every business he triumphs has no competition. The ones he met competition, he left

He sold his flour mills
He had noodles. He sold it to Multipro
He had Bottled water (Mowa). He abandoned it.

Like i said, the cement sector is locked. When it starts to get a lot of investors, you may eventually find out it is cheaper

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 8:30pm On May 22, 2023
izzou:

I read about something like this too
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 8:30pm On May 22, 2023
iamoyindamola:

Will it surprise you if I tell you that it’s middlemen that makes Dangote cement expensive compared to other products?

Dangote cement retails at almost the same price with all other cements but because Dangote brand is popular, those who are buying from factory and selling to retailers are the one making the cement expensive.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 8:35pm On May 22, 2023
iamoyindamola:

I read about something like this too

I did my IT in Dangote Flour Mills and at that time, he had already sold it to Tiger Foods of South Africa

I don't know if the mill is existing now

But we still have other mills that are smaller than him, littered all over Apapa
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 8:38pm On May 22, 2023
izzou:

You just asked if it would be cheaper if it was open to imports naa grin

I give Dangote his accolades too. I am not criticising him. He has helped this country, but then, it is what it is.

Basically every business he triumphs has no competition. The ones he met competition, he left

He sold his flour mills
He had noodles. He sold it to Multipro
He had Bottled water (Mowa). He abandoned it.

Like i said, the cement sector is locked. When it starts to get a lot of investors, you may eventually find out it is cheaper

All these businesses you mentioned are business he ventured into, didn’t succeed and he exited.

How many flour mills company do we have in the country?

Even the noodles, Nigerians call all noodles indomie. That’s to tell you how huge Indomie was.

Dangote Spaghetti is still one of the most sold Spaghetti in the country till date but yet he couldn’t cut it in the noodles business.

It’s not all business that one can compete in, no matter how big the brand is.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 8:40pm On May 22, 2023
izzou:

I did my IT in Dangote Flour Mills and at that time, he had already sold it to Tiger Foods of South Africa

I don't know if the mill is existing now

But we still have other mills that are smaller than him, littered all over Apapa

All those other small small mills, how many people know them? 😂

What’s percentage of the market share do they command compared to Honeywell?

Even as big as Honeywell is, did their noodles stand indomie?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 8:43pm On May 22, 2023
larride:

Will it surprise you if I tell you that it’s middlemen that makes Dangote cement expensive compared to other products?

Dangote cement retails at almost the same price with all other cements but because Dangote brand is popular, those who are buying from factory and selling to retailers are the one making the cement expensive.
The only 2 cement companies in Lagos are lafarge and dangote,bua is abuja
By the middle men are you saying the wholesalers
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 8:45pm On May 22, 2023
larride:

All these businesses you mentioned are business he ventured into, didn’t succeed and he exited.

How many flour mills company do we have in the country?

Even the noodles, Nigerians call all noodles indomie. That’s to tell you how huge Indomie was.

Dangote Spaghetti is still one of the most sold Spaghetti in the country till date but yet he couldn’t cut it in the noodles business.

It’s not all business that one can compete in, no matter how big the brand is.

We have more Flour mills than cement mills in the country

I can't remember when i saw Dangote Spaghetti last. Maybe you should stroll to the market and see the varieties we have here, made in Nigeria.

The point is, the business he is excelling in has less competition. The ones he exited had more competition
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 8:47pm On May 22, 2023
larride:

All those other small small mills, how many people know them? 😂

What’s percentage of the market share do they command compared to Honeywell?

Even as big as Honeywell is, did their noodles stand indomie?

There is Tummy Tummy
Chiki Chiki
Supreme
Golden Penny
These are the few I know

So how come these ones haven't folded up?

You don't have to know a business for it to make profit.

Dangote left because he wasn't making profit, not because they didn't know him
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 8:48pm On May 22, 2023
izzou:

We have more Flour mills than cement mills in the country

I can't remember when i saw Dangote Spaghetti last. Maybe you should stroll to the market and see the varieties we have here, made in Nigeria.

The point is, the business he is excelling in has less competition. The ones he exited had more competition
Thank you
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 8:48pm On May 22, 2023
Well.. It's still a win abit..

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 8:57pm On May 22, 2023
Seria A just they whine jive
Can epl just hit apari and his bunch of mercenaries 10 points fess
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 9:01pm On May 22, 2023
iamoyindamola:

The only 2 cement companies in Lagos are lafarge and dangote,bua is abuja
By the middle men are you saying the wholesalers

Yes. The margin the wholesalers put on those cements is almost 50%.

There’s this Dangote interview I watched where he lamented that the retailers are making more profits than he is making on each bags
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 9:04pm On May 22, 2023
larride:

There’s this Dangote interview I watched where he lamented that the retailers are making more profits than he is making on each bags

I don't think this is true oh

The gain on one bag is about 600 naira, of which they will still pay for their transport.

I don't think it is up to 30% sef
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 9:12pm On May 22, 2023
larride:

No be so, we deal on cement too
If dangote supply at 1700 for example those truck drivers will add their own 200/300 per bag or else they will take it to another dealer.
We can sell 2600 or 2700 how is that 50%
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 9:24pm On May 22, 2023
larride:

You sure about this thing you talk so?
Coz I worked with lafarge and this your story get as e be

(1) (2) (3) ... (2591) (2592) (2593) (2594) (2595) (2596) (2597) ... (4702) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: Greatswimmer, Ibunkun1(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.