Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,476 members, 7,830,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2760) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1478609 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2757) (2758) (2759) (2760) (2761) (2762) (2763) ... (4681) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 10:55am On Jun 18, 2023
raumdeuter:

That was the famous pincer move that was used a lot in World War 2 especially in the battle of Stalingrad to surround the German forces of about 200k

Technically I don’t even think the Stalingrad encirclement was a great tactical pincer by the Russians as such. It was more of the Germans pushing forward stupidly and refusing to retreat (because if Hitler’s mad instructions) and the encirclement happened naturally as more and more Russians arrived to their flanks and back.
Once the encirclement took place though the Russians squeezed the Germans to death in an unbreakable vice.

The great tactical encirclement battles that I can remember are Changping by Bai Qi, Cannae by Hannibal, Tannenberg by Ludendorff.

Khalid Ibn-Walid also used it. Alp Arslan also used it at Manzikert.

Battles of Marathon and Hydaspes can also be called pincer movements.

Larride on that Osmanonline website there is a series about Alp Arslan as well. He was the greatest ruler of the Seljuk Turks who came before the Ottomans. If you liked Ertugrul you wll like that one too.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 10:56am On Jun 18, 2023
chidekings:

then watch Boardwalk_Empire.....one of the best out there by hbo

Boardwalk is good but nowhere near GOAT status
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 10:57am On Jun 18, 2023
Theflint1:
Exactly, too many bland characters and conversations, like there's not one scene you'd watch where the quality of conversation or acting leaves you thinking...na just good series wey person watch when e begin Sabi American series, that's why many remember it fondly.

I no too wan enter the series since many people love it here.
It would be like telling them that their first girlfriend who took their virginity na okpo. 😂
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Segedinho(m): 11:01am On Jun 18, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

Shld be time to start

Meaning you are satisfied with the policy...irrespective of its inaccessibility
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 11:02am On Jun 18, 2023
afrodoc:

I no too wan enter the series since many people love it here.
It would be like telling them that their first girlfriend who took their virginity na okpo. 😂
😅😅😅😅
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 11:06am On Jun 18, 2023
Greatswimmer:

I have watched six flying dragon, I will try out deep rooted tree

It seem you are more into historical/ political film. I beg recommend some for me

1) Three kingdoms

It is about the breakup of the Han Dynasty. Lots of great characters here including Cao Cao, one of the most devious characters in all of history and his protege the equally diabolical but infinitely more patient Sima Yi.

2) Qin Empire 1, 2, 3 and Qin Dynasty.

Watch it in that order to follow how the Qin dominated the Warring States period and unified China.

3) The King’s War

About how the Qin fell and the Han took over.

There are a few other good ones but the subtitling will drive you crazy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 11:13am On Jun 18, 2023
afrodoc:

1) Three kingdoms

It is about the breakup of the Han Dynasty. Lots of great characters here including Cao Cao, one of the most devious characters in all of history and his protege the equally diabolical but infinitely more patient Sima Yi.

Watch it in that order to follow how the Qin dominated the Warring States period and unified China.

3) The King’s War

Dem dey any streaming platform, abi na to download?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 11:15am On Jun 18, 2023
Theflint1:
Dem dey any streaming platform, abi na to download?

I watched 3 kingdoms on YouTube.

Qin Empire on Netflix. Qin Dynasty on Amazon Prime

Kings War on Netflix.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:17am On Jun 18, 2023
afrodoc:

1) Three kingdoms

3) The King’s War

Thank you for these recommendations
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 11:25am On Jun 18, 2023
afrodoc:

Technically I don’t even think the Stalingrad encirclement was a great tactical pincer by the Russians as such. It was more of the Germans pushing forward stupidly and refusing to retreat (because if Hitler’s mad instructions) and the encirclement happened naturally as more and more Russians arrived to their flanks and back.
Once the encirclement took place though the Russians squeezed the Germans to death in an unbreakable vice.

The great tactical encirclement battles that I can remember are Changping by Bai Qi, Cannae by Hannibal, Tannenberg by Ludendorff.

Khalid Ibn-Walid also used it. Alp Arslan also used it at Manzikert.

Battles of Marathon and Hydaspes can also be called pincer movements.

Larride on that Osmanonline website there is a series about Alp Arslan as well. He was the greatest ruler of the Seljuk Turks who came before the Ottomans. If you liked Ertugrul you wll like that one too.

Ertugrul used to talk about Alp Arslan alot in that series.

I'll check it out.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 11:25am On Jun 18, 2023
Segedinho:

Meaning you are satisfied with the policy...irrespective of its inaccessibility

For me, the policy is a good one. Talking abt its accessibility. Even LAPo wey dey give loan with huge interest go ask 4 ur BVn, nepa bill, voters card, nin plus one or two solid surety depending on ur loan package.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 11:28am On Jun 18, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Now that’s a show with a very much interesting storyline ! With its twists and turns

Now I see you like unrealistic twists and turns, overt cliffhangers to end an episode and leave you hooked for the next one, that's why you are dissing Breaking Bad and The Wire

Anywhere I see that kind of writing, I avoid it. After Lost use my brain play from season 4 to season 6 only to end up in nonsense, I can't respect that kind of writing. I saw my mates watching Prison Break, I viewed an episode or two, when I saw they were using unrealistic cliffhangers to end each episode, I stayed away from it.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Magnoliaa(f): 11:32am On Jun 18, 2023
OasisX:
grin

......definitely The Nation coz Tribune don't give a fùck about him.

Yeah. It is The Nation. I remember now.

Anyways, good morning.

So, I kind of need your help with something. I want to translate these words "West Africa Tales" to Yoruba, with the sound signs.

I came up with 'Itan Iwo-Orun Afrika.' grin

But I really want to use a Yoruba word for Africa. I know Africans are called like "Awon alawo dudu", so will "the continent of Africa" mean "ile awo dudu?" Or there's a word for "continent" specifically?

I am sha trying to put it together like- "Itan Iwo-Orun Ile Awo Dudu" (West Africa Tales). How grammatically correct is that in Yoruba?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Donjazet2: 11:32am On Jun 18, 2023
Itsrm:

I didn't watch GOT. Fantasies are not my thing.

It was generally agreed that the final season was underwhelming.

You definitely have to watch GOT, you will love it.

Also check out Westwing and person of interest.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 11:35am On Jun 18, 2023
larride:

Ertugrul used to talk about Alp Arslan alot in that series.

I'll check it out.

Yeah. He was the greatest Turk that had ever lived as at the time of Ertugrul. He was the benchmark for a Turk in terms courage and military ability.

His real name was Mohammed Chagri. Alp Arslan was just his nickname meaning Warrior Lion or something like that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 11:37am On Jun 18, 2023
Ibime:

Now I see you like unrealistic twists and turns, overt cliffhangers to end an episode and leave you hooked for the next one, that's why you are dissing Breaking Bad and The Wire

Anywhere I see that kind of writing, I avoid it. After Lost use my brain play from season 4 to season 6 only to end up in nonsense, I can't respect that kind of writing. I saw my mates watching Prison Break, I viewed an episode or two, when I saw they were using unrealistic cliffhangers to end each episode, I stayed away from it.

You watched Lost up to Season 6?

You have forgiving spirit.

By Season 2 when I had deciphered their wicked plan I dumped the thing. God no go shame us.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 11:40am On Jun 18, 2023
afrodoc:

I watched 3 kingdoms on YouTube.

Qin Empire on Netflix. Qin Dynasty on Amazon Prime

Kings War on Netflix.
OK...thanks.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 11:44am On Jun 18, 2023
afrodoc:

You watched Lost up to Season 6?

You have forgiving spirit.

By Season 2 when I had deciphered their wicked plan I dumped the thing. God no go shame us.

Mehn thunder go fire Lost

They got me man, they got me.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 11:46am On Jun 18, 2023
Ibime:

Mehn thunder go fire Lost

They got me man, they got me.
I stopped at s1😂
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 11:49am On Jun 18, 2023
iamoyindamola:

I stopped at s1😂

The main reason I kept watching was my fascination with Lord of the Flies book which Lost was built on

By season 4, I see say dem done dey use my head, but it was too late

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Greatswimmer: 12:02pm On Jun 18, 2023
afrodoc:

1) Three kingdoms

3) The King’s War

Thanks
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 12:05pm On Jun 18, 2023
Ibime:

The main reason I kept watching was my fascinating with Lord of the Flies book which Lost was built on

grin grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Segedinho(m): 12:12pm On Jun 18, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

For me, the policy is a good one. Talking abt its accessibility. Even LAPo wey dey give loan with huge interest go ask 4 ur BVn, nepa bill, voters card, nin plus one or two solid surety depending on ur loan package.

Lapo no tell u say u go need dey get 500k n below b4 I access their loan......

Abeg...tell me a possible family wey fit satisfy the requirement of d student loan...as at today

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 12:20pm On Jun 18, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Smh…..

U are not so smart after-all . I’m telling u what the human rights lawyer said in the video u shared is sacrosanct !

What is Christian education regulation when the law doesn’t actually recognize Christian education ?

Are u listening to urself ? The president signs it and it becomes part of the constitution grin grin grin. U don’t even know difference between the constitution and acts passed by parliament into law .

🤦‍♂️

No, you ain't smart at all. That bill has passed the second reading already.In Nigeria there are eleven stages before bill becomes law, the final stage is when the president assent the bill.

You are not saying anything. Like I told you already, our constitution forbid official state religion( no explicit mention of secular state) but the de facto state religion (reality) are Christianity and Islam. That's why we have Chaplains and Imam in Aso Rock. The government foot their bills and all.

No religion should be superior to one another. What's done to Islam should be done to Christian.

We have Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs / There's CAN too.

There's National Board for Arabic and Islamic Studies, there should National Council for Christian Education too.

At least let there be mention of Christianity in our constitution just like Islam.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 12:21pm On Jun 18, 2023
Ibime:

Baba life don hard already make we dey find realistic straight forward series . Na feem wey go carry my imagination Trabaye I want 🌚

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 12:25pm On Jun 18, 2023
monerozi5590:

No, you ain't smart at all. That bill has passed the second reading already.In Nigeria there are eleven stages before bill becomes law, the final stage is when the president assent the bill.

You are not saying anything. Like I told you already, our constitution forbid official state religion( no explicit mention of secular state) but the de facto state religion (reality) are Christianity and Islam. That's why we have Chaplains and Imam in Aso Rock. The government foot their bills and all.

No religion should be superior to one another. What's done to Islam should be done to Christian.

There's National Board for Arabic and Islamic Studies, there should National Council for Christian Education too.

At least let there be mention of Christianity in our constitution just like Islam.

There’s no need eating time educating u since u won’t learn even if they open ur skull to inject sense .
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by odizeey(m): 12:32pm On Jun 18, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Baba life don hard already make we dey find realistic straight forward series . Na feem wey go carry my imagination Trabaye I want 🌚
This is my philosophy when watching movies.

That's why I can't watch horror movies.

If I know the actor will die, I won't watch.

I stopped watching Billions at season one because that shady guy was always winning. Why I go dey vex dey watch film?

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 12:42pm On Jun 18, 2023
Theflint1:
Game of Thrones has arguably the greatest first four seasons in the history of television and that's why people come after the producer's for the last season as much as they do. You'd enjoy game of Thrones.

Donjazet2:

You definitely have to watch GOT, you will love it.

Also check out Westwing and person of interest.

I hope you guys are right cheesy

Will give it a trial.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 12:58pm On Jun 18, 2023
BlueRayDick:

There’s no need eating time educating u since u won’t learn even if they open ur skull to inject sense .

Look at this one. Go and educate yourself. Institutions/ Agencies get it validity from the constitution. Like the CBN Acts and all.

There are proposing for a new law which for now is a bill. It becomes a law when the president assent it.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 1:04pm On Jun 18, 2023
monerozi5590:

That is the reason for a lot of nonsense that goes on. Christian do not do pilgrimage, but because Muslims do and a lot of govts have been financing it, now we have Nigerian Christians doing pilgrimage in the name of equity not because it is part of their religion.

We should be pushing for proper secularism, separation of religion and state.

Other wise, be reminded that there are actually multiple belief systems in this country, even within religions. Are we going to accomodate all of them in the same way?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 1:11pm On Jun 18, 2023
GloriousGbola:

That is the reason for a lot of nonsense that goes on. Christian do not do pilgrimage, but because Muslims do and a lot of govts have been financing it, now we have Nigerian Christians doing pilgrimage in the name of equity not because it is part of their religion.

We should be pushing for proper secularism, separation of religion and state.

Other wise, be reminded that there are actually multiple belief systems in this country, even within religions. Are we going to accomodate all of them in the same way?

Na sawdust full that Guy head . How the bold is hard for anybody to see beats me . Even the lawyer in the video he shared thinks along this line .
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by nihilistjnr: 1:13pm On Jun 18, 2023
Ibime:

The main reason I kept watching was my fascinating with Lord of the Flies book which Lost was built on

Now this takes me back to JSS1 when it was one of our recommended Literature books

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2757) (2758) (2759) (2760) (2761) (2762) (2763) ... (4681) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: Afz9095(m), Roland17(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.