Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2765) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1477621 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2762) (2763) (2764) (2765) (2766) (2767) (2768) ... (4679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 12:23am On Jun 19, 2023
Black market rate for Naira seems to be getting worse. What is the I&E price now? cc Shaytun, larride
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc2: 2:36am On Jun 19, 2023
Ibime:

I loved Rome, Spartacus and Vikings

Because of that, I need to check out The White Princess and The White Queen

Not a fan of The Last Kingdom maybe because I read the books by Bernard Cornwell and find the series a poor adaptation of them, or perhaps because I can't stand the lead actor

I read the books too. The rule of thumb is that TV series are usually poor adaptations of the source material, with the odd exception here and there.
That is why whenever i watch historical series i prepare myself beforehand, so that i won't spend the whole time criticizing.

The advantage The Last Kingdom has over Vikings is that it tries to keep an accurate historical narrative. Vikings, for entertainment value, conflated different Viking stories from different locales and even different time periods into the same narrative. For instance how can Rollo who died around 930 be the uncle of Ivar the Boneless who died 60 years before around 870. Rollo in particular does not fit with the Ragnar story but there are other smaller discrepancies.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 4:35am On Jun 19, 2023
Rome was the best of those historical series but they couldn’t get enough funding for it. A real shame.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 4:35am On Jun 19, 2023
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 5:47am On Jun 19, 2023
Ibime:
Black market rate for Naira seems to be getting worse. What is the I&E price now? cc Shaytun, larride

Lmao. Why won't it get worse when the naira has refused to be freely floated.
The things that led to worsening black market rates are still banned which makes no real sense.
At the very least unban like 50%

Another thing we have a bad culture is our regulators actually not doing their job
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Cromagnon: 6:06am On Jun 19, 2023
GloriousGbola:

That is the reason for a lot of nonsense that goes on. Christian do not do pilgrimage, but because Muslims do and a lot of govts have been financing it, now we have Nigerian Christians doing pilgrimage in the name of equity not because it is part of their religion.

We should be pushing for proper secularism, separation of religion and state.
who are these we?

Other wise, be reminded that there are actually multiple belief systems in this country, even within religions. Are we going to accomodate all of them in the same way?
yes if they have the numbers to back it up on election day

Welcome to the tyranny of the majority
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 6:14am On Jun 19, 2023
Ibime:

I have no idea but let me check CBN website, they usually publish it on their website.

The market is yet to stabilize. I dont think the market has enough liquidity yet. That's why CBN is increasing withdrawal limits from dom account to $10k per day. With time the market will stabilize.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 6:16am On Jun 19, 2023
Ibime:

Here's what on CBN website, you'll get accurate one from the banks tho.

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 6:25am On Jun 19, 2023
GloriousGbola:
@ibime and nihilistjnr

is this dailymail sensationalism?

https://www.nairaland.com/7732928/uk-schools-teach-kids-lgbt
Omo I was about asking the same
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 6:43am On Jun 19, 2023
afrodoc2:

I read the books too. The rule of thumb is that TV series are usually poor adaptations of the source material, with the odd exception here and there.
That is why whenever i watch historical series i prepare myself beforehand, so that i won't spend the whole time criticizing.

The advantage The Last Kingdom has over Vikings is that it tries to keep an accurate historical narrative. Vikings, for entertainment value, conflated different Viking stories from different locales and even different time periods into the same narrative. For instance how can Rollo who died around 930 be the uncle of Ivar the Boneless who died 60 years before around 870. Rollo in particular does not fit with the Ragnar story but there are other smaller discrepancies.

The lead actor in The Last Kingdom looks too soft, he is not as barbaric as the protagonist in the books and his accent as the narrator is off-putting. It would have been better without narration.

Vikings series though not historically accurate was a good series until Ragnars sons came into play, then it all turned to nonsense. Thats when I stopped watching

There is another Viking series on Netflix called Vikings Valhalla. The first season was fire, I'm yet to watch the second one.

The best Vikings book for conversion to series will be the trilogy of books by Tim Severin. If that one is turned into series, it will melt faces. Tim Severins books had more entertainment/dramatic value than Bernard Cornwells. That story is like Vikings meets Passport of Mallam Ilya meets Count of Monte Cristo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc2: 7:24am On Jun 19, 2023
Ibime:

The lead actor in The Last Kingdom looks too soft, he is not as barbaric as the protagonist in the books and his accent as the narrator is off-putting. It would have been better without narration.

Vikings series though not historically accurate was a good series until Ragnars sons came into play, then it all turned to nonsense. Thats when I stopped watching

There is another Viking series on Netflix called Vikings Valhalla. The first season was fire, I'm yet to watch the second one.

The best Vikings book for conversion to series will be the trilogy of books by Tim Severin. If that one is turned into series, it will melt faces. Tim Severins books had more entertainment/dramatic value than Bernard Cornwells. That story is like Vikings meets Passport of Mallam Ilya meets Count of Monte Cristo

Yeah. In terms of entertainment and overall Vikings was better than The Last Kingdom. i just didn't like the way Vikings tried to do a concoction of almost every single Viking story into the series, whether the locations or timelines gelled or not.
You are also right about the casting. Funny thing the Uhtred actor is German which should make him more believable as a Viking while Ragnar was portrayed by an Aussie.

I have not read Tim Severin's books. Yeah Bernard Cornwell writes his books almost as history not for pure entertainment. There are so many good source materials for epic series that could even rival GOT if done right.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 8:02am On Jun 19, 2023
liveLongNprospa:

Lmao. Why won't it get worse when the naira has refused to be freely floated.
The things that led to worsening black market rates are still banned which makes no real sense.
At the very least unban like 50%

Another thing we have a bad culture is our regulators actually not doing their job

Can you please explain that?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 8:16am On Jun 19, 2023
monerozi5590:

Can you please explain that?

The 43 items banned by cbn led to people sourcing for fx for them outside the system which led to a massive gulf between the black market and official rates.

Especially when you consider we already were barely getting enough fx to begin with.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 8:19am On Jun 19, 2023
OasisX:
"While we are seeing sign that it’s like you [Wike] want to go over to the other side with everybody wishing that, please don’t be too far from me because I know that the sharks, the tigers are really around looking for what to hurt.

“So, being around would continue to guide and put my head straight for the purpose of this state."

- Gov. Fubara

Itsrm.... wuz goin on ere.

E be like nyendeba is one leg in APC already. The only surprise for now is that SIM wants to remain in PDP.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by seankafor(m): 8:27am On Jun 19, 2023
Itsrm:

E be like nyendeba is one leg in APC already. The only surprise for now is that SIM wants to remain in PDP.
but I thought wike said that he will chase Atiku out of PDP so why is he wike now been the one decamping?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amigoss: 8:40am On Jun 19, 2023
Cheap food,cheap transport,zero interest loans and all your gallons will be filled with cheap fuel

8 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by obainojazz(m): 9:02am On Jun 19, 2023
Be like na only me never watch GOT
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amigoss: 9:07am On Jun 19, 2023
Good News;

Nigerians may need to brace up for tougher times as electricity tariff is set to increase by over 40 percent in the coming days, a development which may eventually end all forms of energy subsidy in the country.

https://twitter.com/GuardianNigeria/status/1670666313071484929?t=a-6LkvL1J0-B4MMojLEqQw&s=19

Another initiative the Gallon d'Or winner needs to support by paying 100% increment while we who "prays" it fails source for cheaper alternatives

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amigoss: 9:13am On Jun 19, 2023
Amigoss:
Fuel subsidy gone
Naira devalued

What next?

Remove Electricity subsidy
Increase tax and vat,
Remove Education subsidy
Remove Healthcare subsidy

All on top of 30k minimum wage where some people even get paid 15k in this country

Oh Forgot Nigeria is broke sad

* Reduce Minimum wage

Lmaooooooooooooooooooooo cheesy grin cheesy

Nigeria is now a capitalistic country which will now make our abroadians happy and give them endorphins

Healthcare subsidy and Tax increment next wink then finally reduce minimum wage

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 9:22am On Jun 19, 2023
seankafor:
but I thought wike said that he will chase Atiku out of PDP so why is he wike now been the one decamping?

Maybe because PDP is a sinking ship. With the way things are, it will take a minimum of 16 years before PDP can return to power at the national level.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Nezzjnr: 9:26am On Jun 19, 2023
Electricity tariff

Under GEJ,
1,000 naira = 64 units

Under Buhari,
1,000 naira = 16 units

Under BAT, (From July 1st),
1,000 naira = 10 units or less

"This New Electricity Tariff will favour me and my Family in Jesus Name"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Nezzjnr: 9:27am On Jun 19, 2023
Amigoss:

Healthcare subsidy and Tax increment next wink then finally reduce minimum wage
This New Fees will favour me and my Family in Jesus Name.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 9:29am On Jun 19, 2023
liveLongNprospa:

The 43 items banned by cbn led to people sourcing for fx for them outside the system which led to a massive gulf between the black market and official rates.

Especially when you consider we already were barely getting enough fx to begin with.

Import substitution is good for the economy and it's encourages local production. Our trade balance is in the negative already. We are capable and sufficient enough to produce those items locally.

We all know floating the currency will depreciate the Naira against the dollar and that's that.

Our foreign reserves cannot continue to back the Naira against the dollar no more.

Net Trade Balance. We import more more more than we export, this alone weakens the Naira against the dollar.

The goal should be having enough to export.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 9:30am On Jun 19, 2023
Lmao. NIHILISTJNR howfar.

How much tax did you say Nigerians do not pay again especially when you factor those taxes unaccounted for.

🤔

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 9:31am On Jun 19, 2023
monerozi5590:

Import substitution is good for the economy and it's encourages local production. Our trade balance is in the negative already. We are capable and sufficient enough to produce those items locally.

We all know floating the currency will depreciate the Naira against the dollar and that's that.

Our foreign reserves cannot continue to back the Naira against the dollar no more.

Net Trade Balance. We import more more more than we export, this alone weakens the Naira against the dollar.

So once again we didn't freely float the naira and as usual it's all controlled which isn't what we wanted ba?
And to make it worse we still do not have the required fx as at today to meet the demand for fx with those cbn rates
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 9:36am On Jun 19, 2023
monerozi5590:

The goal should be having enough to export.

But what are the incentives to produce locally? When last did local production meet demand?
Even with buhari closing boarder. The gap still dey.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 9:43am On Jun 19, 2023
liveLongNprospa:

So once again we didn't freely float the naira and as usual it's all controlled which isn't what we wanted ba?
And to make it worse we still do not have the required fx as at today to meet the demand for fx with those cbn rates

I think it meant if you want to import those ban items to the country, don't come to CBN to give you fx, because they won't. You have to source for your fx somewhere (black market/open market). I think all these is done to discourage them from importing those items.

We must not import everything. We should be producing enough to be able to export sef.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 9:44am On Jun 19, 2023
liveLongNprospa:

But what are the incentives to produce locally? When last did local production meet demand?
Even with buhari closing boarder. The gap still dey.

This is a good question. I pray the government addresses this.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 9:46am On Jun 19, 2023
Itsrm:

Maybe because PDP is a sinking ship. With the way things are, it will take a minimum of 16 years before PDP can return to power at the national level.

Wike is a clown. The PDP is bigger than any single individual, the move to APC was the only logical thing for him after the level of betrayal and treachery he was involved in during the elections. Seyi Makinde should follow him out. PDP dropped the ball by not suspending the g5 clowns.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 9:58am On Jun 19, 2023
Amigoss:
Good News;

Nigerians may need to brace up for tougher times as electricity tariff is set to increase by over 40 percent in the coming days, a development which may eventually end all forms of energy subsidy in the country.

https://twitter.com/GuardianNigeria/status/1670666313071484929?t=a-6LkvL1J0-B4MMojLEqQw&s=19

Another initiative the Gallon d'Or winner needs to support by paying 100% increment while we who "prays" it fails source for cheaper alternatives

Na wa o!

Make this man allow the poor to breath na 🤦‍♂️

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 10:02am On Jun 19, 2023
Theflint1:
Wike is a clown. The PDP is bigger than any single individual, the move to APC was the only logical thing for him after the level of betrayal and treachery he was involved in during the elections. Seyi Makinde should follow him out. PDP dropped the ball by not suspending the g5 clowns.

Lol, suspend 5 sitting governors cheesy

Maybe you think it's water that funds political parties

When you suspend them what now happens when the election is over and funds dry off. Where will the money to fund the party come from? In states where PDP is not in power, who do you think funds the party there?

Why do you think Labour Party only won one governorship election?

You think PDP is like APC that's in power and have the national cake to share?

Funny how you people think you know better than those who were most affected and yet could not suspend them

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2762) (2763) (2764) (2765) (2766) (2767) (2768) ... (4679) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: ouzo1(m), enigma0 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.