Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules (56152 Views)

David Ukpo Asks Court To Stop Biodata Release To Ekweremadu / Ekweremadu, Wife Sue NIMC, NIS, Banks Over David Ukpo’s Real Age / Photos Of David Ukpo Nwamini, The 15-Year-Old Boy Ekweremadu Took To The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by LienwaltAbel(m): 4:44pm On Jul 07, 2022
Agadinaagwuofe:

No one is asking you to believe stories from Nigerian sources but before you take a position on a public case you avail yourself all the facts, you could have also sent someone or make your own independent investigation if you want, but coming out to disprove the Nigerian sources at least you should have your own source. No sensible person will like to align with Nigerian govt officials given their antecedents but again cases like this calls for objectivity, no matter how emotional you try to be. I don't know Ekweremadu or the boy but at least I am unbiased. Again the UK court ruled he is not a minor so what are you saying? It was ruled based on the Nigerian documents presented so why saying the courts don't believe the sources.
How do you know this?

1 Like

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Nozino: 4:45pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

The judge does not rely on emotions but facts. They are many Nigerians like him who have not sold thier kidneys. If he decided to sell his, it was a choice. That's after he's proven it was a trade[/b]. The case could go in many ways. Regardless of how much you dislike the senator, the outcome may not favour you. So wait and see how it goes instead coming up with unverifiable stories that don't count.

It isn’t on him to prove anything. It is on the criminal to prove that the 15year old boy with no job, no education, nothing who he brought to the UK is not a minor, gave his consent without any incentives( read money) and he knew exactly why he was trafficked by the senator.

It is then left to the court to decide if the rule of law was followed.

3 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Scottmairi: 4:45pm On Jul 07, 2022
Nbote:

How exactly did they swindle him? That Boy obviously willingly offered to sell his kidney to them but developed cold feet afta arriving the UK

And after that?
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by biafranrealson: 4:54pm On Jul 07, 2022
Mrkumareze:

Yes oh. I wish they can adjourn the case to 2023 after election...
Your wish is that of a canal man
Beside Ike Ekweremadu is not even contesting.
For him now ,no constituency project or any form of empowerment
Just harvest his investment for the next 10 months
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by IamAsiri: 4:54pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

If the boy is not a boy but a man who was paid to give away his kidney, then he's guilty. So if the senator can't prove it was a donation, the boy will also be indicted especially now that it's been proven he's not a boy.

The senator will have to prove that he got paid then.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by IamAsiri: 4:56pm On Jul 07, 2022
Ayed44:
He stated it clearly in the letter that the boy was going to donate an organ to his daughter. He didn't make it secret. Read the letter here.

With your choice of words, I know u don't like him, but let the truth be the truth.

The question here is "hope the boy is aware?" At least, signed documents by both parties can prove that.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Gemma11: 5:05pm On Jul 07, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Sir, the boy is not trying to win a case. The burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the boy, and the prosecution isn’t relying on the testimony of a young non-citizen. The prosecution is relying on the evidence that they clearly have gathered. Selling a kidney is illegal and the UK courts no that no young man who has no money to afford the lifelong medical care a kidney donor requires would ever offer to donate a kidney to a non-relative out of kindness.

Exactly, it is not Ekweremadu Vs UKpo...it is not a civil case.

It is R (Crown) Vs Ekweremadu...a criminal case

4 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by fashrola(m): 5:06pm On Jul 07, 2022

3 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by djon78(m): 5:08pm On Jul 07, 2022
Idiotseverywher:
. How old are you my man? You are just , reasoning to bigoted, there are kidney donors all over the world and it's legal once it is established, what they need to establish is if he is a willing donor which the documents he signed will establish , first the important thing has been proved he is not a minor. Then the next is was he a willing donor? That is what they will want to establish in the next hearing once they establish that, they will move the case to Nigeria because it's no more in their jurisdiction to try the matter

You ain't making any sense
Did you really think this your reply through

None of the relatives agreed to give there organs, even the siblings couldn't give, it's now a stranger, a young man in his 20s that will now donate his organ willingly without financial inducement

Even if he signed a document, the court will ask whether it was willingly or financial inducement

This is where the case is tight for the Ekweremadus

3 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by msrcusgarvey6(m): 5:09pm On Jul 07, 2022
Your presentation tally with what I know.
I stayed 6 years in Edinburgh as asylum seeker but failed, because I didn't rely on the process so instead was dodging documentation and doing menial jobs to get more money. They would write several letters inviting me in order to be captured (documented) so that I will qualify for accommodation and allowances and other securities but ignorantly refused. They knew I was working but they pitied my conditions and restrained because I left a family in Ukraine.
I want to say all you're doing is expose facts as they are but not many will appreciate you because many left directly from Nigeria and it will take 15-20 y before they transform to humans feeling at home in their newly acquired homesteads.

1stGenAmerican:

People in sane countries don’t hate poor people like people in Nigeria do, instead they do everything in their power to protect the poor. He’s considered a vulnerable individual that was being exploited by the senator and his wife.
The Nigerian delegation that showed up in the UK further demonstrates how those with power in Nigeria thrive on intimidation and coercion. Please don’t think that the UK officials didn’t see that for what it is.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Agadinaagwuofe: 5:10pm On Jul 07, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

How do you know this?

On what ground or relied document was the ruling that he wasn't a minor? If you have been following the case Ekweremadu applied for the docs in Nigeria court to allow Nigerian agencies released the CTC of the boy's age documents to submit to UK court. If you have any other prove of any other documents the court relied in taking the decision he wasn't a minor show me.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by etrange: 5:12pm On Jul 07, 2022
IamAsiri:

The senator will have to prove that he got paid then.

If he didn't get paid, then it's a donation. That means there's no crime. The only thing that would then make it a crime is if he didn't give consent. It's not a straightforward case.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by etrange: 5:13pm On Jul 07, 2022
IamAsiri:

Not if he isn't aware of this "trade".

This takes me back to my first post on this thread. The issue of consent. The senator is in trouble if he didn't explicitly consent to the donation or the trade as the case may be.

2 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Mrtaye: 5:21pm On Jul 07, 2022
Henix:
The Senator is in a big mess
This case is very simple,"consent"is the keyword here and I am very sure the boy consented before traveling to London or was it just a jamboree that the senator paid for
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by etrange: 5:21pm On Jul 07, 2022
Nozino:

It isn’t on him to prove anything. It is on the criminal to prove that the 15year old boy with no job, no education, nothing who he brought to the UK is not a minor, gave his consent without any incentives( read money) and he knew exactly why he was trafficked by the senator.

It is then left to the court to decide if the rule of law was followed.

Dude, if it was a trade, both the seller and the buyer becomes suspects and they'd both have to argue thier way out. So the idea of him not knowing why he was taken there is valid only on the premise that the money exchanged was not in purchase of the kidney. The senator just wants to give you a job and in addition also give you a lot of money? As if that's not enough, he had to take you the UK? Just because he loves you? Good luck arguing that in court.

As for the age, the court just ruled he's not 15. You can keep repeating that but it doesn't change the ruling and we've long moved away from that. We're now talking about consent.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by IamAsiri: 5:26pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

If he didn't get paid, then it's a donation. That means there's no crime. The only thing that would then make it a crime is if he didn't give consent. It's not a straightforward case.

But even a donation needs a consent form, especially when it's something as huge as a living organ, not just a car or a house. Even a house donated nowadays will have a deed of transfer or something like that.

2 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Gemma11: 5:26pm On Jul 07, 2022
Nozino:

Not according to British law. It is a crime to offer monetary incentives to organ donors. How else should we say this for you to understand?

Dem no dey hear. All over the internet many Nigerians are ignorantly and proudly arguing that it is not a crime to buy organs.... I tire. I just hope Our honourable Learned Senator & Wife are NOT proudly stating the same thing in a UK Court sha.

Again for the ones in the back:
Legislation
Human Trafficking - Section 2 Modern Slavery Act 2015
A person commits an offence if the person arranges or facilitates the travel of another person (V) with a view to V being exploited.
It is irrelevant whether the victim consents to the travel (whether V is an adult or child).
A person may in particular arrange or facilitate V's travel by recruiting V, transporting or transferring V, harbouring or receiving V, or transferring or exchanging control over V.
A person arranges or a person arranges or facilitates V's travel with a view to V being exploited only if:
the person intends to exploit V in any part of the world during or after travel; or
the person knows or ought to know that another person is likely to exploit V in any part of the world during or after travel.
Travel is defined as:
Arriving in, or entering, any country
Departing from any country, or
Travelling within any country.
A person who is a United Kingdom (UK) national commits an offence regardless of where the arranging or facilitating takes place, or where the travel takes place. In other words, this offence may be committed by a UK national anywhere in the world and no matter where V is travelling.
A person who is not a UK national commits an offence if any part of the arranging or facilitating takes place in the UK, or the travel consists of arrival or entry into, departure from, or travel within the UK.

Meaning of Exploitation:

Removal of organs in circumstances where a person is encouraged required or expected to do anything which involves the commission of an offence under section 32 or 33 of the Human Tissue Act 2004 (prohibition of commercial dealings in organs and restrictions on use of live donors) as it has effect in England and Wales, or which would involve the commission of such an offence if it took place in England and Wales (section 3(4)).

Na wa

4 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Nozino: 5:28pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

Dude, if it was a trade, both the seller and the buyer becomes suspects and they'd both have to argue thier way out. So the idea of him not knowing why he was taken there is valid only on the premise that the money exchanged was not in purchase of the kidney. The senator just wants to give you a job and in addition also give you a lot of money? As if that's not enough, he had to take you the UK? Just because he loves you? Good luck arguing that in court.

As for the age, the court just ruled he's not 15. You can keep repeating that but it doesn't change the ruling and we've long moved away from that. We're now talking about consent.

I do not claim to be a legal expert. From what I read on the story from ccn, the young boy already said that he had no idea that he was trafficked to the UK to have his organs harvested.

Why is it difficult for you to believe that a Nigerian politician can lie and probably take advantage of this boy?

And yes, it is very easy and believable that a Deputy Senator whose entire family is based on the UK offered him a job in the UK!!!

2 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Nozino: 5:29pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

So people randomly donate kidneys to people living in another continent that they don’t know? Which Nigerian will do that? You?

3 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by IamAsiri: 5:30pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

The only problem is when it is neither a trade nor a donation, called extortion, which is what the Ikeremadus are currently facing charges on. The UK embassy might have been duly informed but with the purported donor being unaware of what he was going to do, especially since he was just a poor young labourer according to him. That can also be easily verified.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by etrange: 5:30pm On Jul 07, 2022
IamAsiri:

But even a donation needs a consent form, especially when it's something as huge as a living organ, not just a car or a house. Even a house donated nowadays will have a deed of transfer or something like that.

That's why I said it's not straightforward. In the absence of any paperworks, the court has to hear the guy's story to know how he thought a senator who didn't know him from anywhere would just decide to take him abroad, give him a job and a huge amount of money for nothing.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by etrange: 5:32pm On Jul 07, 2022
IamAsiri:

The only problem is when it is neither a trade nor a donation, called extortion, which is what the Ikeremadus are currently facing charges on. The UK embassy might have been duly informed but with the purported donor being unaware of what he was going to do, especially since he was just a poor young labourer according to him. That can also be easily verified.

It will be hard for him to say it's neither a trade nor a donation especially if there's evidence of money transfer to him. Like I said, In the absence of any paperworks, the court has to hear the guy's story to know how he thought a senator who didn't know him from anywhere would just decide to take him abroad, give him a job and a huge amount of money for nothing.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by IamAsiri: 5:34pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

That's why I said it's not straightforward. In the absence of any paperworks, the court has to hear the guy's story to know how he thought a senator who didn't know him from anywhere would just decide to take him abroad, give him a job and a huge amount of money for nothing.

Such nonsense has been happening since, which is why so many cases of human trafficking, both male and female alike. People have been promised a good life outside the shores of Nigeria, with the agreement that they will pay back the money with which they were helped over time.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by etrange: 5:34pm On Jul 07, 2022
Nozino:

So people randomly donate kidneys to people living in another continent that they don’t know? Which Nigerian will do that? You?

So you're saying it's not a donation. Then it's trade and the seller will still be in trouble. It's almost catch-22 situation.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Agadinaagwuofe: 5:35pm On Jul 07, 2022
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Gemma11: 5:36pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

The money is not illegal until it's proven it was for the purchase of the organ either by receipts, email, texts or recorded conversations. Selling organs is illegal if you can prove it was a trade. If he consented to "donating" his organ, the financial incentive isn't enough to outrightly prove it was a trade because most donors (even family members) get financial aids for the follow-up medical care. As far as the court is concerned, it's all about what can be proven.

And if it was actually a trade, the seller is also liable, so they'd both end up in jail. I'd like to see how he'd navigate that.

The very fact that Ekweremadu purchased this boy's ticket to the UK, paid his visa fee, accomodated him at his home in London is enough payment and incentive to lure any poor youth from the streets of Lagos to a percieved better life in the UK.

The guy won't end up in jail over this as it would be easy to prove that he is the vulnerable poor one lured by the rich Senator and his wife.

You guys don't understand that this ban of buying organs is a safeguarding measure to protect the poor who can be easily lured in by rich people to sell their body parts at any price.

The law serves a levelling ground for all regardless of wealth of the individual. Nobody wants to live in a world where poor people are reduced to just bodies of spare parts for rich people to buy at will. Do you? What would become of humanity if the selling of Body parts was allowed freely?

4 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Nozino: 5:36pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

He wasn’t promised a huge amount of money for nothing, he was promised a job in the Uk. He even underwent Medicals in Nigeria like everyone one else applying for a work visa from Nigeria.

I’m sure you’d agree that the said boy had no access to the visa application and the criminal senator handled the visa application himself?

It isn’t unusual for rich politicians to offer money or a job to poor Nigerians especially this close to an election year. The boy would have thought himself lucky without expecting any foul play.

2 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by etrange: 5:37pm On Jul 07, 2022
IamAsiri:

Such nonsense has been happening since, which is why so many cases of human trafficking, both male and female alike. People have been promised a good life outside the shores of Nigeria, with the agreement that they will pay back the money with which they were helped over time.

Yes, but this isn't exactly the same. If a huge amount of money was given to the man who is the traveler, he might have a hard claiming it wasn't a trade. The senator might have evidences to show it was trade but he can't present them now cause that would also put him in jail. However, he'd gladly present them if he sees the judgment is going against him. Only time will tell.
Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Nozino: 5:38pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:

So you're saying it's not a donation. Then it's trade and the seller will still be in trouble. It's almost catch-22 situation.

I’m not saying anything. The boy claimed he wasn’t aware and that Is what I’m working with.

3 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Nozino: 5:39pm On Jul 07, 2022
Gemma11:

The very fact that Ekweremadu purchased this boy's ticket to the UK, paid his visa fee, accomodated him at his home in London is enough payment and incentive to allow any poor youth from the streets of Lagos to a percieved better life in the UK.

The guy won't end up in jail over this as it would be easy to prove that he is the vulnerable poor one lured by the rich Senator and his wife.
You guys don't understand that this ban of buying organs is a safeguarding measure to protect the poor who can be easily lured in by rich people to sell their body parts at price. The law serves a levelling ground for all regardless of wealth of the individual. Nobody wants to live in a world where only poor people reduced to just bodies of spare parts for rich people to buy at will. Do you?

Thank you sir.

2 Likes

Re: David Ukpo not a minor, Court rules by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 07, 2022
an0daGuy:
I don’t care. They swindled him into coming to the uk all in a bid to harvest the poor lads kidney.

Both ekweremadu and his wife must be thrown in jail and the keys thrown in the sea and swallowed by a shark.

Let pdp turn to fishermen to try and save them angry

I have pity for his wife because she is not a politician but that Ekweremadu, I want to see am for orange Jump suit.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Richest Local Governments In Nigeria / Army Repels Boko Haram Attack, Kills 45 Terrorists / Bandit, Yellow Baba Arusa Who Led Sunday’s Attack On Kaduna-Abuja Road shot Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.