Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,843 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner (21728 Views)

Top Ten Poorest State In Nigeria (2015) / The Poorest State In Nigeria / Bayelsa State Is The Richest State, Oyo state Is The Poorest State In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Musiwa42: 3:25am On Jul 29, 2011
please compare Ekiti state with 14 local govt and Imo state they gave 27 local govt, you can see why ekiti state is poor.

Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Musiwa42: 3:26am On Jul 29, 2011
imo

Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by odumchi: 3:43am On Jul 29, 2011
So what is the poorest state? Jigawa? Sokoto? Zamfara? Katsina? Niger?
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Johndoe100(m): 4:00am On Jul 29, 2011
odumchi:

So what is the poorest state? Jigawa? Sokoto? Zamfara? Katsina? Niger?

Lagos
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by aljharem(m): 6:25am On Jul 29, 2011
another sun newspaper report SMH

well ekiti is not a valid state IMO ever since so there is no real surprise in this

but ekiti is still a state that was used for politics to give the SW there 6th state
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Sike(m): 7:14am On Jul 29, 2011
hbrednic:

2nd poorest,but still cleaner than ogun state.
why is ogun such a dirty place, with all the high profile people that comes from there
Where in Ogun-State have you seen dirty
BTW, Which State is the winner then.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by rhymz(m): 7:37am On Jul 29, 2011
Well the fact still remains, whether one decides to go by UN's HDI ratings for states or even calculate the per capita income, Ekiti is clearly not an economically viable state. And that is the reason it is concluded that they are the 2nd poorest Nigerian state prolly after Bayelsa state, this is because without the stipend coming from the FG, these states have no other means to generate money for themselves and foot some of their bills. Ekiti is one of those states that never should have been created but for political high-handedness and stooopid parochial regional maneuvering, we are even discussing them as a state. . Scheeeeew!!
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by abelian: 7:39am On Jul 29, 2011
What is the basis of ranking the states? because i am yet to see any difference in the poor or the rich states which have nothing to show for it courtesy of the armed robbers in government houses all over the country.
what difference does it make if for example, state A earns $50million per month and the Governor embezzles $49.9million, and a state B that earns $20million and the governor develops the state with the money, as he is not answerable to anybody or any godfather?
the title "rich" or "poor" states are in the minds of those deceiving themselves, cause the poor man on the street doesn't feel the impact. i bet someone somewhere would be saying Oyo state and Ogun states are rich states with what they suffered in the hands of their previous governors

Until we stamp out corruption, voting sweet mouthed people all in the name of regions or zoning, voting for people that doesn't have a clear plan on how to transform the economies of their states, voting for people that will always depend on the revenue allocation from the federal government without thinking of the state generating their own revenues, until we get to the point of holding our public office holders accountable, that's when we can judge a state as being rich or poor. Before that time, to me all the states are the same in term of wealth (except for lagos state and rivers)
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Aderupoko2: 7:42am On Jul 29, 2011
[s]
rhymz:

Well the fact still remains, whether one decides to go by UN's HDI ratings for states or even calculate the per capita income, Ekiti is clearly not an economically viable state. And that is the reason it is concluded that they are the 2nd poorest Nigerian state prolly after Bayelsa state, this is because without the stipend coming from the FG, these states have no other means to generate money for themselves and foot some of their bills. Ekiti is one of those states that never should have been created but for political high-handedness and stooopid parochial regional maneuvering, we are even discussing them as a state. . Scheeeeew!!
[/s]

I clap for you in Almajiri grin

A state is technically poor if she cannot sustain herself :
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by ak47mann(m): 7:48am On Jul 29, 2011
ADO EKITI nawaooo grin grin
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 29, 2011
Ekiti State may be poor but its people are not. I see sunshine and pride in practically every Ekiti person that I have come across. That's unquantifiable richness. Ekiti, like several other states were created for political reasons and government has so far remained the only industry there. What Ekiti should do now is to harness its human capacity potentials for effective economic development.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by coded777: 8:19am On Jul 29, 2011
kITA TITA:

Ekiti State may be poor but its people are not. I see sunshine and pride in practically every Ekiti person that I have come across. That's unquantifiable richness. Ekiti, like several other states were created for political reasons and government has so far remained the only industry there. What Ekiti should do now is to harness its human capacity potentials for effective economic development.

I'm sure Ileke-Idi will defend this. lipsrsealed
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by duduspace(m): 8:37am On Jul 29, 2011
Not worth responding to, can we have the indices by which this ranking came about first of all and then maybe a worthwhile discussion can ensue.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by grabdbull: 9:05am On Jul 29, 2011
duduspace:

Not worth responding to, can we have the indices by which this ranking came about first of all and then maybe a worthwhile discussion can ensue.

That is the point. I still can't believe people are debating without even talking about the indices for the ranking. Is it really the poorest State, or the State with the second lowest Federal allocation? Even if it has the lowest allocation, is that why it should be regarded as poor? And to think some are jumping up and down in excitement like baboons that a State is poor? Our discourse should center round how true federalism would ensure that all States are productive. Already we see Governors in the region coming together to see how they would build infrastructure that would ensure that States like Ekiti benefit from the population of States like Lagos, thereby developing the entire region. With true federalism in place, this kind of initiative will be accelerated.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by vitality22(m): 9:22am On Jul 29, 2011
Honestly that reminds me of Ekiti state. I did my NYSC in Ijero Ekiti in 2005 and we were been paid 1k (one thousand naira) as state allowance, it wasn't funny, though the people are nice but the state is really poor.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Reference(m): 9:31am On Jul 29, 2011
Chykason:

Internally Generated Revenue from where? Ok, I served in Ekiti. They have only a street-market at Ado-Ekiti. Where else would the main IGR come from?

Banks and their high institutions are the only "Oil Company" one [b]can dream of working at in Ekiti State.[/b]

Wealth is not given, it is created and from a foundation of right thinking. How can you have a population of over a million able bodied men and women and street market and banks are the only ideas available. Real poor stuff. Sorry.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by boyt1: 9:51am On Jul 29, 2011
The reason is, we Yorubas concentrated more only in Lagos state, thereby neglecting the indigenous states.
The reason why most SW states are poor is they all claim to be Lagosians. Compired to our Ibo bro./sis who will never forget their state of origin no matter where they resides. we must not attribute dev. to only Federal allocations
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by shawonlese: 9:58am On Jul 29, 2011
Ekiti is not a poor state.  The leaders are rather not exposed or lack transformational ability. With such vast lands, yet one calls the state poor.  How about turning the state into a mechanized agriculture state focusing on cash crops? Banana is a bonafide cash crop capable of generating tons of foreign exchange for the state, yet the leaders prefer cap in hand waiting for allocations.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ejiekwu1(m): 10:00am On Jul 29, 2011
Is it not in this same Ekiti they said Every family has a Proff in it
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by DaDoctor: 10:39am On Jul 29, 2011
^^YET HAS THE LARGEST NUMBER OF ERUDITE PROFS AS AT THE LAST COUNT^^

WASTED KNOWLEDGE OR WAT?
ABI NA OVER SABI?
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by PointB: 11:01am On Jul 29, 2011
shawonlese:

Ekiti is not a poor state.  The leaders are rather not exposed or lack transformational ability. With such vast lands, yet one calls the state poor.  How about turning the state into a mechanized agriculture state focusing on cash crops? Banana is a bonafide cash crop capable of generating tons of foreign exchange for the state, yet the leaders prefer cap in hand waiting for allocations.

Spot on! This exposes yet again the lies about so call Ekiti State having above average number of educated people. Any education that cannot lift you out of poverty is a waste. A people cannot rise above their quality of education! Ekiti state should improve the quality of their education and also put such education to good use!
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by otapiapia: 11:03am On Jul 29, 2011
What do they do with all the IGRs got from marijuana farming?
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ekiti1: 11:37am On Jul 29, 2011
I am not surprised this news is coming from ezeuche. There is no need recounting my ordeal last week in the east. Suffice it to say my white turned turned red. It is the lame man without hands and legs that normally start a war[b][/b]. smmhhh angry angry
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by tjide: 11:43am On Jul 29, 2011
The state govt should start looking beyond internally gernerated revenue.

Being a state that has a vast fertile land, they should try a develop the agricultural sector.

Many countries have used agriculture as a spring board for their national development.

Any forward looking govt can use agriculture to develop its economy.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by udochika(m): 11:47am On Jul 29, 2011
abeg hoo b number oneee:
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 11:48am On Jul 29, 2011
Ekiti1:

I am not surprised this news is coming from ezeuche. There is no need recounting my ordeal last week in the east. Suffice it to say my white turned turned red. It is the lame man without hands and legs that normally start a war[b][/b]. smmhhh angry angry
Mr man or is it mr Red, count Ezeuche out of this and concentrate on the thread. He is not the thread starter and he must not scare you.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 11:49am On Jul 29, 2011
udochika:

abeg hoo b number oneee:
All the northern states apart from Kano, Kaduna, Plateau and Niger.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Chykason(m): 11:52am On Jul 29, 2011
You may laugh but it's true that one can count the number of 2 or more storeyed building in the state capital Ado-Ekiti. 95% of all the houses there are bungalows with rusted zincs.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by tjide: 12:01pm On Jul 29, 2011
The state Govt should sit up to its responsibilities of providing socio economic as well as infrastructural development to the people, rather than sitting down and lamenting about being the second poorest state in the country
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Olumogun: 12:19pm On Jul 29, 2011
Until the Govenment turn attention of every Nigerians from our original glory - Cocoa, Rubber, Ground-nut, etc, that same state used to be one of those where the strength of the economy was coming from. So, if Ekiti state is poor today, the GRANDPA (Federal Govt) should tell us why?
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by chino11(m): 12:30pm On Jul 29, 2011
boy t:

The reason is, we Yorubas concentrated more only in Lagos state, thereby neglecting the indigenous states.
The reason why most SW states are poor is they all claim to be Lagosians. Compired to our Ibo bro./sis who will never forget their state of origin no matter where they resides. we must not attribute dev. to only Federal allocations

You got it right. Your people need to be enlightened on the need to move away from lagos to develop their states of origin, just like the Igbos does. From far and wide Igbos travel back to their home states to develop it. No wonder except for lagos, from Ibadan to akure to osogbo to abeokuta to ekiti wears the same outlook, so much of under-development, poor infrastructure, poor real estate development. each time I pass thru Yoruba states it reminds me of stone age era. The region is wallowing is stark neglect and poverty.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2011
boy t:

The best response from a Yoruba. Well done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Police Recovers Undetonated IED From Yobe Scene Of Damaturu Bomb Attack (pic) / CNPP Slams Abdulsalami, Sultan, Kukah, Declares Support For Buhari’s Anti-corrup / Orji Uzor Kalu Visits President Buhari (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.