Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,707 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner (21716 Views)

Top Ten Poorest State In Nigeria (2015) / The Poorest State In Nigeria / Bayelsa State Is The Richest State, Oyo state Is The Poorest State In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by aljharem(m): 8:28pm On Jul 29, 2011
EzeUche:

Igbos would not be on this thread if it was not for an Ekiti daughter who mocked Igbo states.

and so the best way to stop the ekiti daughter is to mock no only ekiti state and the whole yoruba people

i dey laff o

when they get back to you all, no complain

i use to think it is the yorubas that are bad but now i see it is both igbo and yorubas undecided
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by EzeUche(m): 8:33pm On Jul 29, 2011
She mocked Abia, now it is her turn to taste her own poison.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by aljharem(m): 8:34pm On Jul 29, 2011
EzeUche:

She mocked Abia, now it is her turn to taste her own poison.

and did i know talk about it. or did others not talk to her about it

well na you people wahala be that. make i enjoy my ramadan
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by PointB: 8:45pm On Jul 29, 2011
SouthEast:

Could be true or not, I have no clue. But today people like you yorubas are packing loads for Igbo traders in Alaba and manning the gates of houses owned by big Igbo men in Lagos, Ibadan and Abuja

word!
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by PointB: 8:48pm On Jul 29, 2011
alj harem:

and so the best way to stop the ekiti daughter is to mock no only ekiti state and the whole yoruba people

i dey laff o

when they get back to you all, no complain

i use to think it is the yorubas that are bad but now i see it is both igbo and yorubas undecided

hmmmn, those two may be bad, but hausa/fulani are evil, with their islamic mohammedanism and terrorism.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by lagcity(m): 9:57pm On Jul 29, 2011
PointB:

Perhaps true for a different reason. How many can afford ransom money in Ekiti? Na yam?  grin grin grin grin grin

stop giving silly excuses. u Igbo ppl have crime in your blood. whenever they are, give them 1 month for the place to become crime-infested.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:00pm On Jul 29, 2011
lagcity:

stop giving silly excuses. u Igbo ppl have crime in your blood. whenever they are, give them 1 month for the place to become crime-infested.

This must be the stupidest post here. Yorubas are by far more crime-prone than other humans beings on earth. See what they do in the UK and USA
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by lagcity(m): 10:06pm On Jul 29, 2011
SouthEast:

This must be the stupidest post here. Yorubas are by far more crime-prone than other humans beings on earth. See what they do in the UK and USA

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked u no dey shame? i know u did not say this with a straight face. i know it, u know it, let's leave it at that.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:09pm On Jul 29, 2011
lagcity:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked u no dey shame? i know u did not say this with a straight face. i know it, u know it, let's leave it at that.

Arent all your leaders jailed criminals
Awo
Obasanjo
Tinubu
Bankole
Name one Yoruba leader that has not slept in prison or police cell. Buncha thieves.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:10pm On Jul 29, 2011
EFCC database shows more Yorubas than other Nigerians put together.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by ak47mann(m): 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2011
lagcity:

no shame yourself oo you wan prove
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by ak47mann(m): 10:12pm On Jul 29, 2011
SouthEast:

Arent all your leaders jailed criminals
Awo
Obasanjo
Tinubu
Bankole
Name one Yoruba leader that has not slept in prison or police cell. Buncha thieves.
hehehehe EX CONVICTS this is just their leaders ooo shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by sbeezy8: 10:17pm On Jul 29, 2011
ok ekiti is considered poor . . . . because of revenue allocation that goes by lg n population.

not really a big deal. . .
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by lagcity(m): 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2011
Igbo ppl. ur sister Akunyili knows you well. that's why she busted you in aba and other Igbo cities. since then, u have been trying to kill her. u guys are the ones ruining our image in the world. that's why i laughed at Dora (an ibo woman) when she started that rebranding nonsense. if she wants to rebrand, all she needs to do is sterilize all Ibo women.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:22pm On Jul 29, 2011
lagcity:

Igbo ppl. your sister Akunyili knows you well. that's why she busted you in aba and other Igbo cities. since then, u have been trying to kill her. u guys are the ones ruining our image in the world. that's why i laughed at Dora (an ibo woman) when she started that rebranding nonsense. if she wants to rebrand, all she needs to do is sterilize all Ibo women.

Who is the owner of the drug manufacturing company whose teething powder killed 100s of Nigerian children?
Who are those who sleep with their daughters in order to get visa to remain abroad?
Who are those who forge academic certificates all over the place? Ekiti just sacked 5000 state workers for forged certificates.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by lagcity(m): 10:25pm On Jul 29, 2011
SouthEast:

Who is the owner of the drug manufacturing company whose teething powder killed 100s of Nigerian children?
Who are those who sleep with their daughters in order to get visa to remain abroad?
Who are those who forge academic certificates all over the place? Ekiti just sacked 5000 state workers for forged certificates.

IBOS you guys are known for all these. stop outing your brothers and sisters so they don't drag you to Okija. u know what happens there. Clifford Orji your uncle wont waste time turning you into barbeque
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by seanet02: 10:27pm On Jul 29, 2011
Everybody knows the ibos as the most dubious people in the world. Their top notches have always turn out to be fraud. Name them emeagwali and co. Freaking cannibals
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:28pm On Jul 29, 2011
seanet02:

Everybody knows the ibos as the most dubious people in the world. Their top notches have always turn out to be fraud. Name them emeagwali and co. Freaking cannibals

When your Oba must eat human flesh to be king. That is the example you show. All Igbos who are rogues live in Yorubaland and learnt you ways.

Read https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-349159.0.html
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by lagcity(m): 10:31pm On Jul 29, 2011
seanet02:

this is what i was trying to tell them (ofcourse i don't need to, they already know that). abeg remind me, wetin be dat NSE ibo woman name sef? the one wit fake PHD.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 29, 2011
Is it not possible that the Ekiti Profs are still enmeshed in their study of a perfectionist blue print for Ekiti?
Maybe we should call on them to release a provisional one for take off.
Perhaps Ekiti Women should come and bare their breasts to sango to remove poverty as they did and Gov. Oni was removed.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ekiti

Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by lagcity(m): 10:36pm On Jul 29, 2011
SouthEast:

When your Oba must eat human flesh to be king. That is the example you show. All Igbos who are rogues live in Yorubaland and learnt you ways.

Ask anybody posted to serve NYSC in the east. their number one fear is being eaten by ibo ppl. the surprising thing is that it is not a secret becos a camerounian asked me the significance of human eating among ibos. i tried to deny it but of course the lie no gel becos i know the truth, the guy sef sensed it and left the matter so that i could save face. ibo ppl repent, it is for your own good. the naval blockade on iboland is over, no need to continue eating human flesh. of course i'm just preaching to the choir on this one cheesy cheesy. wink
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ekiti is indeed an enlightened State. They've got a solution, trust them.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by lagcity(m): 10:40pm On Jul 29, 2011
Okoro2015:

Is it not possible that the Ekiti Profs are still enmeshed in their study of a perfectionist blue print for Ekiti?
Maybe we should call on them to release a provisional one for take off.
Perhaps Ekiti Women should come and bare their bosoms to sango to remove poverty as they did and Gov. Oni was removed.

Okoro2015, i hope kwashiokor hasn't affected your brain. u are still dreaming abt 2015 when we all know it aint gonna happen. this is the ibo delusion we are all talking about.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by seanet02: 10:41pm On Jul 29, 2011
lagcity:

this is what i was trying to tell them (ofcourse i don't need to, they already know that). abeg remind me, wetin be dat NSE ibo woman name sef? the one wit fake PHD.
No be me go mention that name my younger sisters dey home i no wan make dem possess fake doctorate degrees. E be like say the name start with ony
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:42pm On Jul 29, 2011
Tinubu has fake certificates
Omisore has fake certificates
Who come remain?
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:43pm On Jul 29, 2011
seanet02:

No be me go mention that name my younger sisters dey home i no wan make dem possess fake doctorate degrees. E be like say the name start with ony

She lives in the SW and learnt how t do Oluwole from there
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:43pm On Jul 29, 2011
As Senate re-run election approaches, Iyiola Omisore's post-graduate degree generates new controversy
WRITTEN BY SAHARA REPORTERS, NEW YORK
THURSDAY, 19 NOVEMBER 2009 13:07

Ex-Senator Iyiola Omisore

Just as the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osun State on Wednesday fixed December 5 for the court ordered re-run election for the Senate seat previously occupied by Iyiola Omisore of the PDP, a new controversy has surfaced over the authenticity and veracity of Omisore’s degree.

Omisore parades a Master’s degree in Building Services Engineering Management, which he obtained from Brunel University in the United Kingdom in July 2004, according to an academic report obtained by Saharareporters and signed by Dr. R H M Wakelin, the Chairman of the Board of Examiners in the course.

The course description on Brunel website shows the “Building Services Engineering Management MSc at the institution to be a 3-5 years self study without attendance course,” permitting the student to "follow a structured programme of self-study at home or at work."

Omisore's Academic Report from Brunel University

If this is how Omisore obtained his M.Sc degree in 2004, that would mean he was undertaking the course while in prison over the murder of the former Oyo State Governor and later Attorney-General of Nigeria, Bola Ige, in Ibadan. That assassination has never been solved.

An additional question would be how he was able to take his examinations. The structure of the Brunel University self-study programme states that while students can study at their own pace using a study pack comprising text books and CD-ROMs, they have to take annual examinations, in May. Once registered, a student can take his examinations in his country of residence. The university implements the process through "an extensive network of organisations (Universities, Colleges and British Council Offices) throughout the world" who provide invigilation, the cost of which is paid by the student. It is unclear whether such services are made available in the context of incarceration, as Omisore was in 2004, and how.

Efforts to have the former senator speak about his MSc degree have been difficult, but Stephanie Berke, who is a Clerical Officer in the Examinations and Conferment’s section of the Brunel University schools’ registry, responded to our inquiry, asking that we obtain Omisore’s consent to enable them release his academic records to us.

Today, Omisore refused to grant that consent. He told Saharareporters to wait until next week upon his arrival in Abuja to produce a copy of the certificate and the roll call of graduands.

He refused to clarify the pertinent issues relating to when he took the course and how he was able to continue while he was in detention. Saharareporters also wanted to know specifically when he completed the study, whether he used the method of self-study or attended classes, but he was non-committal. About the completion date, he gave us 2005, but the academic record clearly shows 2004.

It would be recalled that on October 30, 2009, the Appeal Court, sitting in Ibadan, removed Omisore from the Nigerian senate, following the successful the petition filed by Action Congress (AC) candidate, Jide Omoworare.

http://www./index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4280:as-senate-re-run-election-approaches-iyiola-omisores-post-graduate-degree-generates-new-controversy&catid=76:hot-topic&Itemid=205
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by Ngodigha: 10:43pm On Jul 29, 2011
lagcity:

Okoro2015, i hope kwashiokor hasn't affected your brain. u are still dreaming abt 2015 when we all know it aint gonna happen. this is the ibo delusion we are all talking about.
Smelly pig, why did you not comment about the photograph of unclthed Ekiti women he posted?.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:44pm On Jul 29, 2011
Go Down Send this topic Reply Notify of replies Mark unread Print
Author Topic: I Got My Fake Ife, Ui, Nysc Certificates For N350,000 (Read 2037 views)
St.Funmi (f)
MD

I Got My Fake Ife, Ui, Nysc Certificates For N350,000
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:56 PM »

Sunday, February 22, 2009
I got my fake Ife, UI, NYSC certificates for N350,000

By AKIN OYEDELE

NOTHING in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Ingenuity will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

Ogunshola

Had Olusola Ogunshola come across this wise saying of Calvin Coolidge, the 30th President of the United States of America, in his quest to earn a living through honest means, maybe he would have been singing a song different from the one he now sings at the headquarters of the Oyo State Police Command, where he is now cooling off.

Born 51 years ago in Sagamu, Ogun State, Ogunshola said he had tried his hands on many things since he finished from Oke Ibadan Boys High School, Ibadan, in 1974. He was a petty trader, clergy, and fish farmer at different times in order to secure honest livelihood. He didn't have a major breakthrough, he said.

In 1987, he said he struck an idea to travel abroad to seek the proverbial greener pasture, which landed him in trouble 21 years after.

Legitimately, Ogunshola did not possess more than a school certificate, but he goes about parading himself as a lawyer and pastor to swindle unsuspecting members of the public. It will be difficult for anybody to believe that the Bachelor's of Law certificate of the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University); Master's of Law degree certificate of the University of Ibadan, Ibadan (which he 'bagged' even before the university began postgraduate degree in law); the National Youth Service Corps certificate; call to Bar certificate and the identity card of the Nigeria Bar Association, found in his possession, were forged.

Not only that, the suspect confessed in an interview with our correspondent that he "stole" the stamp and letterhead of a law firm, S. O. Alli and Co. And to complete his bogus identity, he said he purchased a lawyer's wig and gown, with a shirt to match in Lagos, when he finally decided to pass for a lawyer. Before he was excommunicated when his deals became known to the church authority, Ogunshola was also a 'pastor' with the Global Harvest Church, where he 'cast and bound' the devil and its agents for several years. The official stamp of the church, a disused locally-made gun, two international passports and some fake certificates of occupancy were also among his haul.

The Commissioner of Police at the state command, Mr. Bashiru Azeez, said that the suspect was nabbed over a N362,000 shady deal that went awry.

Azeez said, "His cup became full when one of his victims reported that the transaction between them began on February 15, 2006 when the victim met the suspect at their church.

"The victim had told him that he needed the services of a lawyer to verify the genuineness of a property in Lagos State, which was introduced to him for purchase and to process the certificate of occupancy in respect of the property.

"To his enquiry, the suspect responded that he was a barrister and could render him the legal services. The victim was pleased at this development; that he had found a lawyer pastor in whom he could repose absolute trust."

Pronto, the victim was said to have made available the sum charged by the 'lawyer' in order not to lose the property to other interested buyers. That became his undoing. Ogunshola went to work and before you could say Babatunde Fashola, he had produced a purported C of O and other legal documents on the property, which the CP said were later discovered to be forged. Had the suspect refunded the money, probably the victim would have kept this secret, but he began to dilly-dally, as months of unfulfilled promises turned to years.

But on Thursday, Ogunshola cut the image of a pensive rogue, who having realised the gravity of his offence, would pose as a fowl beaten by the rain in his wig and robe.

Asked how he came about the certificates found in his possession, he said that it was in 1987 when he was desperate to travel out of the country that he encountered one late Ishiaku, who procured the documents for him at a fee of N350,000. Before his accomplice died in an auto accident (if he was not being economical with the truth), he said he was in the process of securing a Canadian visa with his fake certificates. Asked why he needed to go to that extent to secure a visa, he claimed that the idea was that of his late accomplice to smoothen the process. His dream however vanished with the death of Ishiaku.

His good command of English language notwithstanding, he said he could not further his education beyond secondary school due to lack of financial support from his struggling parents. His memory failed him when asked how he met the late accomplice and where.

He said the death of his partner dealt him a devastating blow that he did not know how to pick up the pieces of his life, having lost his life savings from his petty trading to the ambition.

Ogunshola insisted that he never defrauded his victim, who he identified as one Kayode Oresanya. Rather, he said that a link person that he contracted to secure the C of O from the Office of Surveyor General in Lagos "collected the money and ran away."

He said, "I was no longer making use of the certificates. The police found them in my store. I never went to court or took a brief from anybody. I acquired those things when I wanted to travel abroad. When the Canada thing failed, Ishiaku still promised to help me before he died in an accident. I inherited the old gun they found in my house from my father. Go and check it very well, it is an old useless gun."

In a rare display of 'honesty,' he said that he stole the S.O. Alli and Co. stamp and letterhead when he had an opportunity of being at the law firm when they were relocating to another office.

His countenance dropped and he almost ended the interview when asked whether he was still a pastor, to which he declared "I will not answer that question."

Asked why he could not venture into any neat business with N350,000 as far back as 1987, he said his ambition was to live big and do well with his family. Now he said he had put his wife and two kids in a quandary.

Querying the rationale behind his arrest for a deal that was about three-years-old, he said he had already promised to refund the money to Oresanya before he (Oresanya) decided to invite the police. The suspect said that his income from his fish farming business could barely sustain him now, which explains why he told his victim to tarry a while.

If given another opportunity, he said he would turn a new leaf now that he had realised the position of law on his activities.

Hear him, "I feel frustrated with my life because of the serious setback I suffered when I could not travel abroad. I have repented. I regretted my action. I can't do it again. I was a petty trader at a point, but I thought my life will be better. Now, I know better."

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/feb/22/412.html
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2011
We need legislation to eradicate rituals, cannibalism - Erelu Lola Ayonrinde -Raises posers on Oba Funso Adeolu’s corpse

Erelu Tunwase AyonrindeErelu Tunwase of Ode-Remo, Chief Lola Ayonrinde, who is the Otun Iyalode of Shomolu and Lagos District, and also the Yeye Akinrogun of Ikeji-Ile Ijesa was twice Mayor of the London Borough of Wandsworth. She talks to AYO-LAWAL GBENOBA on her campaign against human sacrifice and cannibalism in Nigeria. Excerpts:

WHAT is your campaign all about?
The ‘Say No To Cannibalism In Nigeria’ campaign is aimed towards eradicating the ancient and obnoxious practice of mutilating the bodies of traditional rulers after death. The rituals and sacrifices parts of the body of a dead king, especially in Western Nigeria, are used for are barbaric and a disgrace to the country in this 21st century. The movement is out to stop these evil practices which are not in consonant with the will of God and against the fundamental human rights of the affected traditional rulers. When a king dies, they say they have to give his heart to his successor on the throne to eat. They explained that it will make the new king strong and courageous but, is that not deceit? How can eating somebody’s flesh give courage to another person? They mutilate the remains of these kings and engage in fetish and obnoxious activities which add no value to anybody or the society in general.

Why do you need to feed an incoming royal father with the heart of a dead one? This cannibalism started with Christopher Colombus who believed that when a king ate the heart, or some other parts of a dead ruler, some major attributes of the dead was transferred to the new king. This is sheer cannibalism and has no place with God. And, I want the chiefs, the traditional rulers themselves and other stakeholders to know that any tradition that does not recognise God is doomed. The government must put a stop to this cannibalism going on in some parts of Nigeria because, it is even against the constitution of Nigeria. Section 38 subsection 1 of the Nigerian constitution gives every citizen the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion, while section 17 subsection 26 declares that the sanctity of the human person shall be recognised and human dignity shall be maintained and enhanced. Where is the sanctity of the human person in all these? Where is human dignity?

What motivated this campaign?
I was very close to the late Alaye of Ode-Remo, Oba Funso Adeolu, the popular Chief Eleyinmi of the rested Village Headmaster soap opera. Few months after his death on August 21, 2008, he started appearing to me and I had months of traumatic haunting. In his lifetime, Oba Adeolu was a Christian and he made it known that he did not partake in anything fetish during his installation as king. He explicitly, several times, demanded that when death came calling, his corpse should be handed over to his family so that he could be given a proper Christian burial. However, his corpse was not released to the family. After his death, he appeared to me several times, and kept telling me about many things. He said his corpse was handed over to the ‘odis’ (slaves) who treated it like that of a criminal. They took bits and pieces of his remains for their own use while some parts were distributed to the four corners of the town.

It was while going round that I discovered what happened and I met some chiefs who confessed what happened but asked me to forget it because there was nothing we could do about it.

All the ‘odus’ of Ifa do not approve using human beings as sacrifice, the constitution does not approve and to crown it all, God Almighty frowns at this practice, they are doing it to appease whom? Some of the kings today are enlightened and those who are born again Christians, like Oba Adeolu, are renouncing these things. So, why hold on to an obnoxious and barbaric act? Oba Adeolu believed he would be given a decent burial and that is why his ghost has refused to rest. Even in Ijebuland, these things were abolished years ago and Ijebuland under the Awujale agreed they would bury kings according to their religion.

So, how do you hope to stop the practice?
We are canvassing that our traditional rulers should be buried whole, without being mutilated and it should be in the open. There is secrecy because of the evils attached. It is untenable scientifically that the heart is eaten for so and so reasons. To start with, let us have the installation of kings in the open, no aspect of the installation should be shrouded in secrecy. It should be a celebration of our culture so, why should it be shrouded in secrecy? When everything becomes transparent, it will even help younger ones to know more about our culture and we will be able to restore some of our societal values. Why should obas be laid to rest in a paganic manner? If a governor gives staff of office to a king, giving him recognition and authority, that king is under the governor so, why should the government condone barbarism in this age? The ministry of local government and chieftaincy affairs should do something about this, if not, the government is endorsing cannibalism. True that some of the kings went through these rituals during installation but those who opted out should be given that grace of opting out of the rituals in death. They should be buried according to their faith. The practice is a disgrace to the whole of South West because it is common there.

We are appealing to the traditional rulers who were installed through cannibalism to renounce it publicly and declare they don’t want their hearts to be eaten or other parts of their bodies to be used for any form of ritual. Abolition of slave trade took place years ago. So, why do we still have some people in Ode calling themselves slaves (‘odis’)? We need legislation to stop the barbaric act and we are appealing to our lawmakers to rise up to this task of eradicating cannibalism in Nigeria. There should be a law backing a king to opt out of fetish installation and burial and it should become an offence for anyone to tamper with the remains of a king, for whatever purpose, or to give the body to the ‘odi’ for rituals. The penalty should be without an option of fine so that the perpetrators would know how grave the offence is. The ‘odi’ in Ode can be given money to buy goat, ram, cow, or whatever they need for sacrifice, if they must, but there must be total abolition of human sacrifice in the country. Efforts are being made by some Ogun State traditional rulers to stop it but some feel the fetish practice must be protected. The government must detach itself from it.

Internationally, human sacrifice, cannibalism, witchcraft and sorcery are illegal so, why should it be done with impunity in Nigeria, a country that is known as the giant of Africa? Infact, politicians should begin to include the abolition of cannibalism in their campaign programmes, and party manifestos by 2010.

What efforts have you made so far to network and get people involved?
We give glory to Almighty God. I have spoken to so many kings who secretly don’t want it and we are telling them that they should make an open declaration against these evil practices. The campaign would be boosted if they do because people believe they all knew and agreed to these evil practices before being installed. We now call on the royal fathers again, in the name of Almighty God, to declare publicly that they don’t want these fetish practices to continue. I have carried the campaign to the international level so that Nigerians of affluence who are in diaspora would lobby the lawmakers and get a legal backing for the campaign to eradicate human sacrifice and cannibalism in Nigeria. A number of international media like the BBC have aired my interview on the campaign and some Nigerian people abroad are involved in the lobbying for a legislation to stop the obnoxious practices.

We call on the ‘oluwos’ and ‘odis’ in Ode to review the entrenched ill that has no value to the society. We appeal to them to accept cows and goats and allow our royal fathers to be buried according to their beliefs. Then, it was about time that the royal fathers are constituted into the House of Royals, like the House of Lords, so that they would have more power, say and patnership in governance. This would help them to contribute meaningfully to issues affecting them and the society at large.
Re: Ekiti Is The 2nd Poorest State In Nigeria-commissioner by SouthEast: 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2011
Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his death has led to the proliferation of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work, In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/jul/9/221.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

God Will Disgrace My Adversaries – Wike / Zamfara Man Born In Owerri Has Right To Become Governor In Imo State - Igodye / Video Of Rev Mbaka Asking Nigerians To Vote For Buhari (part1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.