Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer (3099 Views)

2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer / Diary Of An Aspiring Software/web Developer / Product Designer - UI /UX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by SavageBoy: 9:15pm On Aug 16, 2022
[b][/b]
tensazangetsu20:

E go hard o. Highest I have seen is 400k USD annually and the person dey nairaland. I no go mention am before beggers full him DM.

Say na that FUTA drop out wey shock us for Esco obong DSA Facebook group one time like that

Till now I still dey calculate how much the guy dey earn with the current dollar exchange rate.

I'm not worried about the talks of tech being saturated. It can never be. But if by peradventure it becomes saturated, DSA will be a filter. My goal for the next 1½ years is not to be a good programmer. I jus want to understand and master DSA like the palm of my hands

After that I should be able to see for myself whether tech is saturated like they say or not. And a big shout to you @tensazangetsu20.

You're Nairaland number 1 DSA advocate and evangelist. Without your constant emphasis on DSA, many of us wouldn't have realized the importance of DSA. Or we may realize it later, and will wish we did much earlier

4 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:16pm On Aug 16, 2022
SavageBoy:

Say na that FUTA drop out wey shock us for Esco obong DSA Facebook group one time like that
Yeah.
Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by RedCentaur(m): 9:52pm On Aug 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

E go hard o. Highest I have seen is 400k USD annually and the person dey nairaland. I no go mention am before beggers full him DM.

Baba abeg talk him name, I swear I no go pinch tent for him dm.
Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by The5DME(m): 10:17pm On Aug 16, 2022
RedCentaur:

Baba abeg talk him name, I swear I no go pinch tent for him dm.
seunlalange
Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Telegon: 10:45pm On Aug 16, 2022
SavageBoy:

House for VI?gringrin

One guy who has recruited SWE for Google and Amazon did make serious emphasis on DSA. He said it's the key to getting into this companies most especially Google.

Another guy (a SWE for years) even said DSA is far more important than frameworks and technologies. He said different frameworks and web technologies will keep coming and going but DSA will remain forever.

These two comments were more than enough to convince me change my focus
I guess he forgot to tell you that your degree is also of high priority. You wouldn't need to overwork yourself too much to enter these top companies if you have a computer sci. degree.

Otherwise, you are still at low chance compared to a computer science graduates despite having higher DSA knowledge

5 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by SavageBoy: 2:42am On Aug 17, 2022
Telegon:

I guess he forgot to tell you that your degree is also of high priority. You wouldn't need to overwork yourself too much to enter these top companies if you have a computer sci. degree.

Otherwise, you are still at low chance compared to a computer science graduates despite having higher DSA knowledge

This is grossly incorrect

1 Like

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by TastyFriedPussy: 6:14am On Aug 17, 2022
LikeAking:
Abeg make we here word.

Must every talk b about DSA and salary?

@tensazagastu20
leave them make them dey cast am.. Rubbish
After them go dey shout oversaturation but ma them dey use their mouth they oversaturate the thing.. Some people just can't shut up about some things

3 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Hannania(m): 7:36am On Aug 17, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
leave them make them dey cast am.. Rubbish
After them go dey shout oversaturation but ma them dey use their mouth they oversaturate the thing.. Some people just can't shut up about some things
Comments only an African can say. India has millions of developers and DSA is of no secrete. All FAANG AND 90% of Fortune 500 firms opened offices there, because there's a large pool that knows "Fundamentals".

How many senior developers in Nigeria can architect large distributed systems?

Before now, what we had were WordPress masters. but it's all different every since Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs, Bank Of America, Palantir, and Microsoft, started giving lads opportunities, and now big firms are seeing the talents from here.

It's a good thing that DSA is now evangelized. Before you know it, big cooperations will come to set up offices here so they can outsource developers here at a cheaper rate.

So if you want to get among the elite, better learn it. Because soon, employers in Nigeria will revert to it, to keep top talents and filter script skiddies.

Microsoft and Amazon just opened applications to recruit engineers from African Universities to US and Canada, not experienced engineers, but new grads.

6 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:41am On Aug 17, 2022
Telegon:

Grossly incorrect. Very very incorrect.
Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:43am On Aug 17, 2022
Hannania:
Comments only an African can say. India has millions of developers and DSA is of no secrete. All FAANG AND 90% of Fortune 500 firms opened offices there, because there's a large pool that knows "Fundamentals".

Before now, what we had were WordPress masters. but it's all different every since Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs, Bank Of America, Palantir, and Microsoft, started giving lads opportunities, and now big firms are seeing the talents from here.

It's a good thing that DSA is now evangelized. Before you know it, big cooperations will come to set up offices here so they can outsource developers here at a cheaper rate.

So if you want to get among the elite, better learn it. Because soon, employers in Nigeria will revert to it, to keep top talents and filter script skiddies.

Microsoft and Amazon just opened applications to recruit engineers from African Universities to US and Canada, not experienced engineers, but new grads.

Guy when andela started in Nigeria all you needed to get in was an essay on why you want to be a software engineer. Now the recruitment is heavy on DSA. Even toptal and Turing all dsa. Crossover the same thing. To even be a successful freelance developer you need dsa except you wanna fight for scrams on places like Upwork and Fiverr.
Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Hannania(m): 7:47am On Aug 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Guy when andela started in Nigeria all you needed to get in was an essay on why you want to be a software engineer. Now the recruitment is heavy on DSA. Even toptal and Turing all dsa. Crossover the same thing. To even be a successful freelance developer you need dsa except you wanna fight for scrams on places like Upwork and Fiverr.
. So true. Crossover's own is even harder than FAANG cheesy. Though they pay well. $30k to $60k for fresh graduates Remotly.

Every ones eyes will soon come to the reality of things.

2 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:51am On Aug 17, 2022
Hannania:
. So true. Crossover's own is even harder than FAANG cheesy. Though they pay well. $30k to $60k for fresh graduates Remotly.

Every ones eyes will soon come to the reality of things.

Men I don talk even if e go take me 2 years to get good at this no problem. I rather suffer for two years of my life and enjoy myself for the next 20 years. It's My own masters degree cause even if I leave Nigeria I still can't get a good job without knowing dsa. See that nairalander who went to Canada and schooled at university of toronto he still couldn't get employed until he started leetcoding and he was doing odd jobs. Took him more than a year. He was even lucky he went as a permanent resident. Some countries have very short time between graduating as a student and getting a work visa. If you don't have your fundamentals you might find yourself in Nigeria as it will be almost impossible getting placement.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Grossly incorrect. Very very incorrect.

He is actually correct. Microsoft opened a pipeline for Nigerian comp sci students and grads recently. Number one requirement was a CS degree

Self taught might excel in the industry but Comp sci grads/student will always have an edge

6 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:55am On Aug 17, 2022
DrLevi:

He is actually correct. Microsoft opened a pipeline for Nigerian comp sci students and grads recently. Number one requirement was a CS degree

Self taught might excel in the industry but Comp sci grads/student will always have an edge

One of the chics recruited last year had a bsc in economics. She's in adora hack slack group. Computer science is definitely the way to go if you have the opportunity to go to the University today. I have even emphasized it here many times.

1 Like

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

One of the chics recruited last year had a bsc in economics. She's in adora hack slack group. Computer science is definitely the way to go if you have the opportunity to go to the University today. I have even emphasized it here many times.
The FAANG dream is a highly ambitious one but the Leetcode DSA thing is quite real especially with established companies, I hear American devs talk about it a lot.

Still your employment will always require expertise with certain languages and frameworks because you have to be productive immediately after the onboarding.

Advising people ignore productive skills for optimisation hacks and efficiency(DSA) is quite misleading because at the end, you won't be employed as a DSA engineer but a ROR or React or Python developer.
Makes no sense passing the interview only to get fired a month into the job for being totally useless to the team

6 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by logik29(m): 8:08am On Aug 17, 2022
Hannania:

The result if this is that the level of difficulty for interview questions will be tougher.

There's a joke that In India, to get into Google you have to prep lc hards very well and pray to God lol for you to pass the interview

1 Like

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by SavageBoy: 8:18am On Aug 17, 2022
DrLevi:

Makes no sense passing the interview only to get fired a month into the job for being totally useless to the team

This part cracked me up grin

Can someone with a solid knowledge of DSA be completely useless in a team? A lot of faang engineers even recommend being good at a programming language and DSA than just knowing frameworks upon frameworks without a sound knowledge of DSA.

And like what tensa once said, once you've been able to understand and get a job with DSA, you should be experienced and good enough to learn any relevant technology and framework your job will need within a short period of time after getting the job.

2 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by namikaze: 8:29am On Aug 17, 2022
DrLevi:

The FAANG dream is a highly ambitious one but the Leetcode DSA thing is quite real especially with established companies, I hear American devs talk about it a lot.

Still your employment will always require expertise with certain languages and frameworks because you have to be productive immediately after the onboarding.

Advising people ignore productive skills for optimisation hacks and efficiency(DSA) is quite misleading because at the end, you won't be employed as a DSA engineer but a ROR or React or Python developer.
Onboarding in Google and generally FAANG takes 3 to 6 months, that's enough time to learn any tech stack if you're competent enough, though this is not the case for mid and smaller tech companies, you'll need a stack or language at the very least.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by namikaze: 8:34am On Aug 17, 2022
If you really want a comp. science degree well you could buy one, depends on the university though, cost is about 500k.

2 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by logik29(m): 8:34am On Aug 17, 2022
DrLevi:

Recently I found out most people debating this DSA thing are not Cs grads cos anyone that studied/currently Cs must know dsa is the core fundamental upon which other things are built on including those frameworks,libraries and languages so it should not be surprising that companies test for the knowledge of this.

Yes dsa is hard,even foreign engineers don't find it easy but since this is the situation we find ourselves....we all have no option

4 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by SavageBoy: 8:36am On Aug 17, 2022
namikaze:

Onboarding in Google and generally FAANG takes 3 to 6 months, that's enough time to learn any tech stack if you're competent enough, though this is not the case for mid and smaller tech companies, you'll need a stack or language at the very least.

In order words, a solid knowledge in DSA will give one the Davidic courage to face the Goliaths of the tech industry. That's interesting.

2 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 17, 2022
SavageBoy:

This part cracked me up grin

Can someone with a solid knowledge of DSA be completely useless in a team? A lot of faang engineers even recommend being good at a programming language and DSA than just knowing frameworks upon frameworks without a sound knowledge of DSA.

And like what tensa once said, once you've been able to understand and get a job with DSA, you should be experienced and good enough to learn any relevant technology and framework your job will need within a short period of time after getting the job.
Lol. DSA won't give you the knowledge of a 2-3 years experienced Java, Laravel, React etc developer. Even if you're a pro Leetcoder, you can't pull magic.

Someone good at DSA(I mean good, not a solution crammer), would be good at problem solving and learning but still you'd be useless to the team for a while.

Like someone mentioned, FAANG can be cool with the dev being useless for longer periods of time but smaller - medium companies can't afford such deadweight. I still feel the DSA evangelism is a "cart before the horse" scenario.

3 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by namikaze: 9:02am On Aug 17, 2022
SavageBoy:

In order words, a solid knowledge in DSA will give one the Davidic courage to face the Goliaths of the tech industry. That's interesting.
unsurprisingly yes, there's a guy I know, he'll basically get any job if he's able to land the interview, and it's not because of his stack rather it's DSA and system design, basically get so good at it that you stun the interviewer(s).

2 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:18am On Aug 17, 2022
[quote author=namikaze post=115782007]
unsurprisingly yes, there's a guy I know, he'll basically get any job if he's able to land the interview, and it's not because of his stack rather it's DSA and system design, basically get so good at it that you stun the interviewer(s).[/quote
Neetcode was solving leetcode questions for two years while unemployed. The only interview he got was Google and he smashed it. Even if you don't perform knowledge of dsa will get you much better opportunities. See what someone posted on blind. He's good at dsa but sucks at programming.

5 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Sonnick(m): 9:20am On Aug 17, 2022
I'm an aspiring developer, started with html, on css at the moment, then Java script. Pls I'm on the right track?. Reading the comments here got me confused.

@tensazanjetsu20
Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by MadarasBlade(m): 9:33am On Aug 17, 2022
DrLevi:

Lol. DSA won't give you the knowledge of a 2-3 years experienced Java, Laravel, React etc developer. Even if you're a pro Leetcoder, you can't pull magic.

Someone good at DSA(I mean good, not a solution crammer), would be good at problem solving and learning but still you'd be useless to the team for a while.

Like someone mentioned, FAANG can be cool with the dev being useless for longer periods of time but smaller - medium companies can't afford such deadweight. I still feel the DSA evangelism is a "cart before the horse" scenario.

Everything isn't black and white, both can go together.

1 Like

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Telegon: 9:42am On Aug 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Thank you for acknowledging that computer science is important in this programming arena. This will help newbies in making quality life decision.

And I'm not crossing out the fact that self-taught programmer can also get employed into these top companies, what I'm trying to let nairalanders know is that, having a comp. sci. degree will give you a greater edge ahead of self-taught programmer in securing a job with the companies. A self-taught programmers will do like five-times the work a computer sci. will do to get the same job.

5 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:47am On Aug 17, 2022
Telegon:

Thank you for acknowledging that computer science is important in this programming arena. This will help newbies in making quality life decision.

And I'm not crossing out the fact that self-taught programmer can also get employed into these top companies, what I'm trying to let nairalanders know is that, having a comp. sci. degree will give you a greater edge ahead of self-taught programmer in securing a job with the companies. A self-taught programmers will do like five-times the work a computer sci. will do to get the same job.

Yeah if you check my past posts you will see where I say that if you are going to the University just get a computer science degree. Dsa, systems design are all taught at undergraduate level and grinding them then isn't a chore as it is because they are important to your grades.

4 Likes

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by MadarasBlade(m): 9:51am On Aug 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah if you check my past posts you will see where I say that if you are going to the University just get a computer science degree. Dsa, systems design are all taught at undergraduate level and grinding them then isn't a chore as it is because they are important to your grades.

These courses are rudimentary and not taught in depth, so if that's the sole reason you're going for comp sci, i am sorry to disappoint you.

Nigerian universities need to do better.

1 Like

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Telegon: 9:55am On Aug 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You rock
Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by SavageBoy: 9:58am On Aug 17, 2022
DrLevi:

In other words, after learning DSA and getting good at solving leetcode questions, apply for jobs that are your mate, that is, faang level kind of jobsgrin

1 Like

Re: 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 17, 2022
MadarasBlade:

Everything isn't black and white, both can go together.
Unless you're a genius, I can promise you can't get good at both simultaneously.

Leetcode is not easy, forget how tensa preaches it, that thing is confusing as hell. Data structures themselves are no joke. Then add understand A* and other algorithms. You could spend a whole day and still can't implement Dijkstra's.

Having to learn Spring Boot alongside that means you want to land your first job after 3 years.

Tensa can preach about DSA because he has years of React experience under his belt. A newbie that can't write a simple stickman or host a simple FastAPi server learning DSA(without a comp sci degree) certainly must like being hired and fired because DSA only gets you a job, doesn't help you keep one

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Efficient Training For A Career In Software Development / My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section / I Need Help And Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.