Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,050 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia (44764 Views)

‘meth’: Youths Flogged In Imo For Taking Drugs (Pictures) / Ikorodu Transformer Cable Thief Tied To A Pole & Flogged In Lagos / Schoolgirl Flogged In Ilorin, Leg Infected Over School Fees. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by nlfpmod: 8:49pm On Aug 28, 2022
There is tension in Umueghu in Amaegbuato autonomous community in the Nkpa Bende Local Government Area of Abia State, Southeast Nigeria, after some residents bound and flogged a widow with whips and sticks for allegedly being a witch.

The widow has been identified as Mrs. Amarachi Okechi.

A disturbing video of the incident posted on social media and seen by SaharaReporters on Sunday, shows the widow sitting on the floor with her hands tied behind her. Her legs were also bound with rope.

The widow, who wore a gown and a light blue hair tie was being flogged by young men while scores of people in the crowd jeered at her.

An activist, Harrison Gwamnishu, who shared the horrifying video of the assault on his Facebook page, wrote:

"When I talk about widows protection, I'm not asking for too much. Our mothers suffer the most from child delivery.

"Mrs. Amarachi Okechi, a widow was accused of witchcraft by her late husband brother's wife."

Gwamnishu also slammed the people of the community for the action, describing what they did as unjust. "If you are from Umueghu in Amaegbuato autonomous community Nkpa Bende Local Government, Abia state, your community did this to this woman.

"Even when the woman was begging and telling them she's innocent, they tied her hands to her back, tied her two legs, flogged and filmed her.

"Her children reached out to the Behind Bars and we have decided to take this matter up no matter what it will cost us.

"This is barbaric should be condemned by all."

"#Attention: Please help us tag the wife of Abia State Governor," he also wrote.

Meanwhile, efforts to get the reaction of the Abia state police command were unsuccessful as the Command's spokesman, Geoffrey Ogbonna did not answer when SaharaReporters called his mobile line.

https://saharareporters.com/articles/disturbing-video-shows-nigerian-community-assaults-brutalises-widow-accused-being-witch

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
See mumu society, pls what's wrong with naija and our superstitious beliefs?
Are these people mad or something? someone need to arrest them and put them in jail.

If at this age and time we still believe in witches(spiritual flying witches) then we have a problem,this is how some idiotic children murder their mothers all in the name of "na she dey do me".

If the perpetrators are not apprehended by the police then the children should take the matter up personally,hunt them down and slaughter them to pieces.
Their body part will make a huge sale in the black market.
Idiots.

134 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Olam09(m): 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
Fúcked up society...

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by allanphash7(m): 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
Fvck

Most of the Africans are 500,000 years backwards

Aje

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by RepoMan007: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
How was she caught?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by PS712: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
Quite a number of times such accused are actually innocent of these allegations.

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by kingamaa(m): 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
This is barbaric and should never be found in our midst

A widow, unsubstantiated accusation

Youths with mothers and possibly wives doing the flogging and cheering in this time and age.

Animals in human skin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Daniel7543: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
So, Abia state sef don join this Akwa-ibom state rubbish? Indeed illiteracy is a disease.

Meanwhile.. Weda na from garden or na fowl lay am.. Egg na Egg

70 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by DrRasheed: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
I wonder why in the south every old widow is considered witch. Same way people nag about village people but always on their way to honour them come Christmas time.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by mbahdi(m): 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
Witch wey no fit help Nigeria elect better president that one na witch?

4 Likes

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by slawomir: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
Damnnn niggar
Africans

Their matter don tire me I swear

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by bigdammyj: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
Noted.
Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by spartan50(m): 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
What’s the proof she is a witch

4 Likes

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by tamdun: 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2022
Barbarians, it can only happen in that region

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Baloranking(m): 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2022
In this century some Nigerians still do this?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by MrPADDY(m): 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2022
How can a society progress with all these barbaric acts?

3 Likes

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Grace045(f): 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2022
Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Starships4u(m): 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
Barbaric!
Buh then, some people acts like one....

I remember one woman who kept acting possessed.... Till some youths told her to please take her leave from the area...

2 Likes

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by lokotamak(m): 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
Nawa ooo
Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Soukiss(m): 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
I Don't believe in witch.
African and their beliefs

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Authoreety: 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
No more respect

So sad

2 Likes

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
Abians and backwardness ehn. She should get a good lawyer. Their men are very aggressive and stingy as hell

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Uptownerd: 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
If you don't want your children to grow up with this type of religious infested mentality, you should visit https://uptownerd.com/category/consciousness-2/ to put you and your generation on the path to mental emancipation.

In this 21st century, this type of news is a big disgrace to civilization. We are definitely better than this unfounded accusations and barbarism.

1 Like

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Holluwhakemmy(f): 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
Africa and wrong accusation

2 Likes

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by einsteine(m): 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
The treatment of widows in the south East of Nigeria is terrible.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Segzy19: 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
This should not be happening at this time...
Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Pandev(m): 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
SMH
Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by Sirlins(m): 8:55pm On Aug 28, 2022
This one na Nollywood joor , later the woman go cry and lay course on the head of her late husband brother who wants the family lands......una know the rest of the story

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by seunmind44: 8:55pm On Aug 28, 2022
If I talk wetin dey my mind, Mynd44 go ban me forever, so I no go talk anything, other than, Igbo amaka

10 Likes

Re: Widow Accused Of Being A Witch, Tied Up & Flogged In Abia by chaddy16: 8:55pm On Aug 28, 2022
Same way pastors and Alfas fool people. Today's date in Nigeria is 26/March/1520

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian & Iraqi Men Arrested For Gang-raping 18-year-old Ukrainian Refugee / 'How Richard Kpodo Raped Me Without A Condom In Hotel' - Lady Tells Court / Signs To Watch Out For You To Know If Your Child Has Joined Secret Cult - Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.