Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,389 members, 7,815,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion (3010 Views)

I Will Die Soon, My Time Is Near --- Odumeje / Why Do I, As A Christian, Feel Bullied By Atheists? See 5 Reasons Why / Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 12:48am On Sep 14, 2022
kingxsamz:

Or is there anywhere in history where it was written that dry skeleton bones gained flesh and started walking around the city? grin
But same can be said about the bible nw? grin
Not everyone is an athiest.
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by kingxsamz(m): 3:45am On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

Lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
You guys (athiests) are the most unintelligent and lazy people I have met.

Where did the Bible say that the "flesh and bone" vision was a real event?

Have you ever read the Bible or you just hear your fellow unintelligent athiests say stuffs about the Bible and you believe without checking the facts yourself?

So dry bones rising, a man dividing the sea, stick turning to snakes, someone dying, resurrecting and ascending into the sky, donkey talking and the earth being made to stop rotating for three days so Moses can win a war were never portrayed as real events in the bible? grin grin grin
Or is there anywhere in history where it's written that any of these stories happened?
Cornelboy: Athiest mumu die.
The writers of the Bible clearly wrote their books as true events

No be you talk this one before? Now you wan change mouth. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by kingxsamz(m): 3:50am On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

When you've finally found what part of history corroborates these cock and bull stories below, let me know. grin grin
"Dry bones rising, a man dividing the sea, stick turning to snakes, someone dying, resurrecting and ascending into the sky, donkey talking and the earth being made to stop rotating for three days so Moses can win a war"
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:55am On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

ATHEISM has its root right from the garden of Eden!

Satan introduced atheism to Eve {Genesis 3:1-5} Adam joined his woman {Genesis 3:6} that's why God stopped talking or listening to Adam and his wife after telling them how they will end their lives! Genesis 3:16-19

So don't think atheists truly have anything to say against the existence of God all they're trying to do is being their own gods {Genesis 3:5} with self-righteous, they're also in different religions claiming believers their fruit is easy to identify as each of them wants to set his own standard instead of the standard that will carry everyone along! John 17:20-23

Now this is where their stupidity is hiding from them: they will like to cohabit peacefully with their neighbours but on what form of standard? Each of them wants to have a say so by the end this will lead them to the WORKS of the flesh since they have alienated themselves from their Creator {Galatians 5:19-21} and the next thing is picking up weapons to kill themselves! Revelations 6:3-4

But on the other hand those seeking the righteousness of God will be glad they avail themselves for what is fine {Matthew 5:6} as they will come together to teach themselves what God wants {Isaiah 2:2-3} and because God's Holy Spirit dwells with them they will produce the FRUIT of the spirit of God {Galatians 5:22-23} which is resolving their racial disparities among themselves, divert their resources into production of food and information materials, erased the making, buying, selling and usage of weapons from their hearts and vow never to raise weapons against their fellowman! Isaiah 2:4

I wouldn't have known this if not because i've been a soldier noticing how people kill people yet when you talk about PEACE everyone will claim they're for peace! smiley

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by Wilgrea7(m): 12:27pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

MaxinDhouse was a Muslim but ended up being a Christian (JW) after examining the Bible.

Good for him

So if you did examine the Bible and ended up being an athiest, that means you both saw something different and one of you is right.

Examining the bible isn't the sole reason I became an atheist.. But it was certainly the starting point.

Whether a book is authentic or forged, true or false, it could only be determined by using the book itself.

I disagree. That's the circular reasoning i was talking about.

If the book claims that everything written in it is true but there are evidences that shows that everything in it is not the true, the book shouldn't be trusted.

Now we're speaking the same language.

How do we know trusted and tested external sources?

Yeah.. Good question. Depends on the nature of the source, or the type of the source. I can't really give a general answer here.

The writings of the historians would also be recorded in books. So how does that really help?
Are you trying to say that if three or more historians (witnesses) write something about the same event, that would make it true?

If two or more historians independently report the same thing, it makes a stronger case for the truth of that thing. Doesn't mean its necessarily true. Discerning truth from alleged past events or writings is often a very tricky thing.

Are they not external sources that prove that the Bible is true?

What do you mean by "prove that the bible is true". The bible is a collection of books. The fact that one book was proven to be true, does not mean the entire bible is automatically true. Even proving one book to be true is not as straightforward as it seems. Let me explain.

Let's say I write a book about the 46th President of the united states.. I say his name is Joe Biden, and that he has a blue cat named mittens who could fly.

Outside sources could in fact confirm that he is the 46th president of the states... but that does not automatically mean the story of the blue cat who can fly is true. So the idea of "proving a book in the bible" is not really one that holds that much water. Each claim made has to be examined individually, not collectively.

Now you can bring your external sources that proves that the Bible is forged or fake. Let's examine them.

I never said the bible was forged... or fake
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 4:12pm On Sep 14, 2022
kingxsamz:

When you've finally found what part of history corroborates these cock and bull stories below, let me know. grin grin
The creator is powerful enough to do anything.
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 4:15pm On Sep 14, 2022
kingxsamz:

So dry bones rising, a man dividing the sea, stick turning to snakes, someone dying, resurrecting and ascending into the sky, donkey talking and the earth being made to stop rotating for three days so Moses can win a war were never portrayed as real events in the bible? grin grin grin
Or is there anywhere in history where it's written that any of these stories happened?
No be you talk this one before? Now you wan change mouth. grin grin
The creator of the universe can make anything happen.
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:23pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

The creator of the universe can make anything happen.

All what they're trying to say is:

"Stop worshiping God after all we can't see Him" wink

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 4:41pm On Sep 14, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Good for him
Examining the bible isn't the sole reason I became an atheist.. But it was certainly the starting point.
I disagree. That's the circular reasoning i was talking about.
Now we're speaking the same language.
Yeah.. Good question. Depends on the nature of the source, or the type of the source. I can't really give a general answer here.
If two or more historians independently report the same thing, it makes a stronger case for the truth of that thing. Doesn't mean its necessarily true. Discerning truth from alleged past events or writings is often a very tricky thing.
What do you mean by "prove that the bible is true". The bible is a collection of books. The fact that one book was proven to be true, does not mean the entire bible is automatically true. Even proving one book to be true is not as straightforward as it seems. Let me explain.
Let's say I write a book about the 46th President of the united states.. I say his name is Joe Biden, and that he has a blue cat named mittens who could fly.
Outside sources could in fact confirm that he is the 46th president of the states... but that does not automatically mean the story of the blue cat who can fly is true. So the idea of "proving a book in the bible" is not really one that holds that much water. Each claim made has to be examined individually, not collectively.
I never said the bible was forged... or fake
Why did you turn an athiest?
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:49pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

From all his past posts he's been saying he's not an atheist but after Maximus has given him spiritual blows right, left, back, front and center to he's now fully convinced that he is an atheist! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by Wilgrea7(m): 5:01pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

I didn't move from theism to atheism just like that. It was first from fundamentalist Christian, to liberal christian, to christian deist, to athesit/agnostic. And no, it's not because I hate "God".

I asked questions. Lots, and lots of them. And I seeked for the answers, not just from the Christian perspective, but from the perspective of other religions.

I read parts of the Holy books of Sikhism and Buddhism. I read several apocryphal "gospels". I looked at the history and the formation of the Christian, as well as the Jewish beliefs... And then I looked far before that. I compared what I know, with the real world. I examined things for what they were, rather than what I wanted them to be.

And that's how I ended up here. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:04pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

The forty years wandering was a punishment for them.

The whole exodus account is fairy tale
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by Wilgrea7(m): 5:08pm On Sep 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

From all his past posts he's been saying he's not an atheist but after Maximus has given him spiritual blows right, left, back, front and center to he's now fully convinced that he is an atheist! cheesy

You guys have called me an atheist so many times here... I've just gone along with it. Besides, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being called an atheist. It's not something I find offensive in the slightest.

The reason I didn't like to call myself one, was because the vast majority of people, think atheists believe that there is no god, or that god does not exist. Which isn't really the meaning of it.

Atheism is simply the lack of belief, that a God exists, rather than saying affirmatively that a god does not exist. It's the difference between saying "I don't believe there is a pink dragon" and saying "a pink dragon does NOT exist".

But being the genius that you are Maximus, I'm sure you'll ignore everything I've just said and make another wild claim or accusation.
Oh dang it.. I mentioned you again cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:21pm On Sep 14, 2022
Wilgrea7:

You guys have called me an atheist so many times here... I've just gone along with it. Besides, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being called an atheist. It's not something I find offensive in the slightest.

The reason I didn't like to call myself one, was because the vast majority of people, think atheists believe that there is no god, or that god does not exist. Which isn't really the meaning of it.

Atheism is simply the lack of belief, that a God exists, rather than saying affirmatively that a god does not exist. It's the difference between saying "I don't believe there is a pink dragon" and saying "a pink dragon does NOT exist".

But being the genius that you are Maximus, I'm sure you'll ignore everything I've just said and make another wild claim or accusation.
Oh dang it.. I mentioned you again cheesy

No wahala! grin

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 5:32pm On Sep 14, 2022
FOLYKAZE:

The whole exodus account is fairy tale
That's your opinion.
They were true history of the Israelites.

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 5:34pm On Sep 14, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I didn't move from theism to atheism just like that. It was first from fundamentalist Christian, to liberal christian, to christian deist, to athesit/agnostic. And no, it's not because I hate "God".
I asked questions. Lots, and lots of them. And I seeked for the answers, not just from the Christian perspective, but from the perspective of other religions.
I read parts of the Holy books of Sikhism and Buddhism. I read several apocryphal "gospels". I looked at the history and the formation of the Christian, as well as the Jewish beliefs... And then I looked far before that. I compared what I know, with the real world. I examined things for what they were, rather than what I wanted them to be.
And that's how I ended up here. smiley
What are the questions you asked and never got the answers?
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:39pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

That's your opinion.
They were true history of the Israelites.

Hahahaha

True stories like the Vampire movies

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 5:43pm On Sep 14, 2022
FOLYKAZE:

Hahahaha
True stories like the Vampire movies
Do the Israelites claim the same thing?
It's probably an athiest like you that wrote that article you screenshot.
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:10pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

Do the Israelites claim the same thing?
It's probably an athiest like you that wrote that article you screenshot.

Below is from the Jewish website....

The exodus is fairy tale

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:13pm On Sep 14, 2022
FOLYKAZE:

The exodus is fairy tale

Atheists are everywhere so if a Jew becomes an atheist it doesn't mean all Jews are atheists! smiley

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:19pm On Sep 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Atheists are everywhere so if a Jew becomes an atheist it doesn't mean all Jews are atheists! smiley

Bedtime fairies are believed by children and adults alike. This doesn't mean all sane human uphold the exodus as objective truth without any archaeological or textual evidence

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by Wilgrea7(m): 6:22pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

What are the questions you asked and never got the answers?

I didn't say I never got answers... Actually I got a lot of answers.. and i compared them with each other... My deconversion wasn't a case of unanswered questions.

Like I said earlier.. i looked at things from multiple perspectives.. and not just the Christian one. So if i ask a question.. I'm not asking just the Christians.. I'm asking the Muslims.. Buddhists.. spiritualists.. scientists and so on

2 Likes

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:41pm On Sep 14, 2022
FOLYKAZE:

Bedtime fairies are believed by children and adults alike. This doesn't mean all sane human uphold the exodus as objective truth without any archaeological or textual evidence
Good!
So it depends on each person's viewpoint not what anyone say! wink

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:51pm On Sep 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Good!
So it depends on each person's viewpoint not what anyone say! wink

cheesy
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2022

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 7:13pm On Sep 14, 2022
Wilgrea7:

I didn't say I never got answers... Actually I got a lot of answers.. and i compared them with each other... My deconversion wasn't a case of unanswered questions.
Like I said earlier.. i looked at things from multiple perspectives.. and not just the Christian one. So if i ask a question.. I'm not asking just the Christians.. I'm asking the Muslims.. Buddhists.. spiritualists.. scientists and so on
So why are you in this religion thread?
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by cornelboy(f): 7:15pm On Sep 14, 2022
FOLYKAZE:

The exodus is fairy tale
How does that website prove that the records in the book of exodus written some thousands years ago were fairy tales?
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by oteneaaron(m): 7:25pm On Sep 14, 2022
Wilgrea7:

Such a curious and eclectic mind!

If I may ask, did you notice any synergy in the answers you got from these different sources?

Cos from my own personal journey, I have noticed that it is almost as if there is a central theme when you take a wholistic look at different religions and even science.

I would like to hear your thoughts.
Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:30pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

To argue aimlessly! smiley

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by Wilgrea7(m): 8:06pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

Like... that's literally the point of this tread.. To explain why atheists debate religion.. Did you not go through the original post?

1 Like

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by Wilgrea7(m): 8:10pm On Sep 14, 2022
oteneaaron:

Such a curious and eclectic mind!

Thank you kind sir smiley

If I may ask, did you notice any synergy in the answers you got from these different sources?

Cos from my own personal journey, I have noticed that it is almost as if there is a central theme when you take a wholistic look at different religions and even science.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Funny coincidence. I just finished watching a video by "closer to truth" on whether religions are complimentary or contradictory.

In terms of synergy, I'm not sure. At the basic level, they all try to be getting closer to "God", that is for the ones that do believe in God.

I did notice a common recurring theme though, which is that they all make reference to a single, supremely powerful creator deity, far beyond the grasp of humans. But when it comes to how to access this deity, or what and how it wants us to live our lives, that's then they all become at loggerheads with each other.

2 Likes

Re: Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion by kingxsamz(m): 8:45pm On Sep 14, 2022
cornelboy:

The creator is powerful enough to do anything.

grin grin grin
Your clownery has been revealed.
I thought you were smart. Not so smart to argue logically I see.
Creator ko. Creator that only exists in a fictional story book. Goodnight abeg.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Disbelief In Yahweh As The Creator God / What Happened To Striktlymi? / Photos Of Married Pastor Arrested For Sleeping With Teenager, Her Mother And Aun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.