Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,897 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. (30256 Views)

ASUU Strike: Why Nigerian Students Can’t Protest Against Buhari Govt – Adeyanju / Ultramodern Schools Built By Governor Zulum In Borno (Photos) / Man Embarrassed As Ibadan School Refused Letting Daughter In Because Of Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:16pm On Oct 08, 2022
mytime24:
Quota system
Which one is quota system again? You guys never miss an opportunity to weep.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Compliant(m): 7:17pm On Oct 08, 2022
This country is far gone.

In 2006 while serving in a Secondary school in Rivers State, among the external students that came from other states to write WAEC in that school, there was this particular candidate that could not write her full name.

It was as if I was dreaming

Honestly things need to change

2 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Ofolete: 7:18pm On Oct 08, 2022
Even some of the lecturers in the northern part of Nigeria cannot write and speak English language very well. Western education is a taboo to a real Muslim.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by lawrenzooo: 7:18pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:

My brother is not bad, I have chatted with a European professor who can't speak English
Not when English is the official language in our schools.

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Angelfrost(m): 7:20pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:

My dear English was imposed on us because Africans were taken as slaves.

Haven't you noticed that the only countries who's leaders speaks English are those from USA Canada and British ?

Sir, you do realize you haven't answered any of my questions?!!

While English proficiency shouldn't be a total measure of learning and education, shouldn't an educated person have a good grasp of his nation's main language of communication across diverse ethnic groups?!!

5 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 08, 2022
VeeVeeMyLuv:
They prefer to play with bombs
lol. Dem donkearn Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by gloryman91: 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2022
God bless Governor Zulum for his personal efforts on turning things around in Bornu State.

If all our governor's and leaders can emulate this gesture, ASUU won't be on strike till now.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Bimpe29: 7:25pm On Oct 08, 2022
Mr performer, kudos to your indefatigable style of governance amidst BH insurgency.

Nonetheless, education in the northern Nigeria is really underwhelming.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Toluwanise247(m): 7:27pm On Oct 08, 2022
Many student like obi 3rd class student. I don’t like listen to obi he speaks bad English and he express himself for 10 minutes he will speak in tongues.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by klonboi: 7:30pm On Oct 08, 2022
Angelfrost:

Sir, you do realize you haven't answered any of my questions?!!

While English proficiency shouldn't be a total measure of learning and education, shouldn't an educated person have a good grasp of his nation's main language of communication across diverse ethnic groups?!!

The only reason why English was adopted in Nigeria is because of our colonial history.

English is not the primary language in Nigeria. It is secondary and it was adopted because over 300 tribes were fraudulently merged to form Nigeria.
Personally I would prefer if I was taught at school in my language and I get to decide whether to learn English or not.

You listen to zelensky,Putin and Macron on CNN, do they speak English? Aren't they doing better than Nigeria?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by drololaaof: 7:31pm On Oct 08, 2022
Creeknigga:

https://punchng.com/zulum-embarrassed-as-jss-students-cant-write-read/
No qualms Mr governor,in as much as you have bought exotic cars for the traditional rulers ba komi,they don't need to know how to read and write after all quota system and educationally disadvantaged, terrorists ravaged zone will cover them . Like teacher like students.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by nedu2000(m): 7:33pm On Oct 08, 2022
That was the case even before boko haram. Even SS3 students majority can't write their names let alone pass an exam
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by klonboi: 7:35pm On Oct 08, 2022
lawrenzooo:

Not when English is the official language in our schools.

Were you part of those that made it official?, The answer is NO and is simply because the colonial Master said it should be your new language and some of you even pay to get the certification grin
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by sayso: 7:37pm On Oct 08, 2022
jaeyking:
Yea there are students who can't speak English
Only their indigenous language, either pigdin, hausa, igbo or Yoruba.

Well he should flush out the teachers and employ new ones
And who will go there to teach? Do you have an idea where they are talking about?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by NonsenseRubbish: 7:41pm On Oct 08, 2022
Toluwanise247:
Many student like obi 3rd class student. I don’t like listen to obi he speaks bad English and he express himself for 10 minutes he will speak in tongues.
Nonsense plus rubbish angry
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:46pm On Oct 08, 2022
eazyduzit:
Teachers are not the problem,their foundation is........
Majority of their parents don't give a damn about Western education but rather they prefer Islamic education,this children sometimes go during break (11:00am) and their parents will send them to go and sale tomatoes, peppers and other food essential ( we call it Tale) and they'll not return to school until the next day.
So many negative issues that I can't explain going on in the northern part of NIGERIA concerning the development of education.

If it's North, let the teachers share in the blame also.

I taught in the North during NYSC, most of the teachers were the same. To the extent they didn't even enter classes, just stay in the staff room conversing in Hausa language, then go home at the end of the day. The students didn't like calling them because they knew even if they came to class, nothing will be taught.

I think the Northern governors should do what Almakura did in Nasarawa state. He employed non-indigenes and started them about two levels above the normal level they were supposed to start or so... That's why Nasarawa have a lot of non-indigene teachers, mostly from Benue and the South east

4 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Allisgud: 7:47pm On Oct 08, 2022
And the fools will later find their ways to gorverment house rulling intelligent people

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by deavicky(m): 7:47pm On Oct 08, 2022
I don't know why he is surprise or embarrassed while some senators from that axis cannot speak or read in English too.

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by virginchaser(m): 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2022
Generalwoodz:
Half of my class couldn't read or speak intelligibly.

That's if you want to gauge brilliance using the English language as a Yardstick.

I needed to help these kids I said. I went out of my way and for the love of humans and humanity, stopped all of them from one thing you and I relished from way back. Which is? Break time.

For months, when I looked into their eyes all I saw were vile, hateful, and unwell wishes cast and gazed at me. In their teenage eyes, a couple of them had clouds of tears, and fountains of perspirations on their Temples, and I could well picture stress in their bones when I drilled them intensely.

Even outside the high school, when I encounter anyone of that select group I inculcated whatever I thought could go a long way. Titians clashed. I cared less and would make sure I drilled you while I haggled prices of yam in the market.

I saw myself as a Titian. And collectively, I saw them as one too. And all together we were a war. Unspoken war. And uncompensated.

These kids from Kaduna progressed and the changes were marked. I was elated in my heart and directed the joy to knacking 3 of their sisters. Call it compensation?

Well, lately I heard some Sad news from that State. Elrufai cut the school days from 5 to 4. Meaning? Kids from public schools stay at home every Friday.

A rear gem.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by NonsenseRubbish: 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:

The only reason why English was adopted in Nigeria is because of our colonial history.

English is not the primary language in Nigeria. It is secondary and it was adopted because over 300 tribes were fraudulently merged to form Nigeria.
Personally I would prefer if I was taught at school in my language and I get to decide whether to learn English or not.

You listen to zelensky,Putin and Macron on CNN, do they speak English? Aren't they doing better than Nigeria?
You still haven’t made any points
Even if we allow the fact that you said colonial masters influenced dominance of English language in the country.
The fact of the matter still remains the northerners still reject western education whether taught in their native dialect or not. And at this point it is to the detriment of the country as a whole.
Also by the way Putin, Macron, Zelensky and co speak good English amongst other international languages too. While Nigerians president only speaks Hausa fluently and English partially

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Allisgud: 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2022
So how come they gave statistics of how borno perform highest in 2021 waec examination
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by klonboi: 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2022
lilfresh96:
It's common here in the North

And even those that know how to speak English don't want to because they are shy or Alfred of being judged by their colleagues. It's so discouraging.

In the North Hausa language is considered as the lingua Franca. And it is degrading educational system undecided

But you will find them to be very intelligent if you speak their language and reason with them

It's not degrading our educational system sir!

I can bet that if the textbooks in our various universities were translated in our dialect and we were also taught in our various dialect, you would have understood better and implement ideas better too.

This is what you find all over the world, books are written in indigenous languages.

But I noticed that in Nigeria and Africa the only book that was translated for us into our various dialect is the Bible.

That was were I got to understand that we actually mess up as a group of people and we were being punished for that.

2 Likes

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:50pm On Oct 08, 2022
Generalwoodz:
Half of my class couldn't read or speak intelligibly. ?

Well, lately I heard some Sad news from that State. Elrufai cut the school days from 5 to 4. Meaning? Kids from public schools stay at home every Friday.

Normal, Friday classes start by 9 and end by 11 when I was there... So it's almost the same as nor going at all
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by RenaissanceGuy: 7:50pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:

My brother is not bad, I have chatted with a European professor who can't speak English
How old are you, bro? grin Is English the lingua franca in that European man's country like Nigeria?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by PeachtreeReside(f): 7:56pm On Oct 08, 2022
jaeyking:
Yea there are students who can't speak English
Only their indigenous language, either pigdin, hausa, igbo or Yoruba.

Well he should flush out the teachers and employ new ones

They could have gotten teachers from the other parts of Nigeria to boost their ill equipped teachers.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Midas01: 7:59pm On Oct 08, 2022
Are you for real ? Na wa o
ednut1:
Chibok girl’s writing waec that year could not speak English
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by tempest01(m): 8:01pm On Oct 08, 2022
bibianna:
They're students but can't speak English in this country! shocked

Experienced this first hand teaching in a village in Nasarrawa State. I gave a test to write A-Z. Only about 5 out of about 25 could.

This is an SS1 class.

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by klonboi: 8:01pm On Oct 08, 2022
RenaissanceGuy:
How old are you, bro? grin Is English the lingua franca in that European man's country like Nigeria?

Imagine implementing ligua Franca in a country with indigenous tribes, it's not like these tribes migrated from somewhere else, they are indigenous to there land.

Don't you think it's a crime?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by 07kjb: 8:03pm On Oct 08, 2022
That's the people ATIKU IS BANKING ON TO VOTE FOR HIM PEOPLE WITHOUT SELF DECISION
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Blaqputin(m): 8:05pm On Oct 08, 2022
VeeVeeMyLuv:
They prefer to play with bombs
Bros easy
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by mrsage(m): 8:05pm On Oct 08, 2022
So so sad
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by RenaissanceGuy: 8:09pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:

Imagine implementing ligua Franca in a country with indigenous tribes, it's not like these tribes migrated from somewhere else, they are indigenous to there land.

Don't you think it's a crime?
Your last line is quite hilarious grin. Reading and writing is not exclusive to English language. If you were born into a Hausa or Igbo family and you are not learned, you'll still not be able to read or write in Igbo or Hausa language.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Admission In Atbu Bauchi / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right / "Lost My Father In 2007, Lost My Mother In 2014, Now A Doctor In 2017". Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.