Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. (30261 Views)

ASUU Strike: Why Nigerian Students Can’t Protest Against Buhari Govt – Adeyanju / Ultramodern Schools Built By Governor Zulum In Borno (Photos) / Man Embarrassed As Ibadan School Refused Letting Daughter In Because Of Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by sameks08(m): 5:30am On Oct 09, 2022
such scenarios is common in the north so more hands needs to be on desk to salvage the future of our children
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Obidient4life2: 5:32am On Oct 09, 2022
Generalwoodz:
Half of my class couldn't read or speak intelligibly.

That's if you want to gauge brilliance using the English language as a Yardstick.

I needed to help these kids I said. I went out of my way and for the love of humans and humanity, stopped all of them from one thing you and I relished from way back. Which is? Break time.

For months, when I looked into their eyes all I saw were vile, hateful, and unwell wishes cast and gazed at me. In their teenage eyes, a couple of them had clouds of tears, and fountains of perspirations on their Temples, and I could well picture stress in their bones when I drilled them intensely.

Even outside the high school, when I encounter anyone of that select group I inculcated whatever I thought could go a long way. Titians clashed. I cared less and would make sure I drilled you while I haggled prices of yam in the market.

I saw myself as a Titian. And collectively, I saw them as one too. And all together we were a war. Unspoken war. And uncompensated.

These kids from Kaduna progressed and the changes were marked. I was elated in my heart and directed the joy to knacking 3 of their sisters. Call it compensation?

Well, lately I heard some Sad news from that State. Elrufai cut the school days from 5 to 4. Meaning? Kids from public schools stay at home every Friday.

Elrufai is nothing but a religious bigot.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by jaeyking(m): 8:28am On Oct 09, 2022
Proudlyomonna:

In My State Imo State,are you hearing me, during Owelle's tenure,it was a crime not to take Your child to school undecided
Imo State holds 96% literacy rate, beating Lagos 5 times consecutively in the ranking of the Most Educated State in Nigeria.
A Govt that seeks to educate Her people,are you hearing me?a govt that seeks to educate and empower the minds of Her people will do so at any cost.
The North is very blessed,give this guys quality education and watch them florish,I have one from Kaduna currently working with me,and I always wonder why His parents refused to give the young brilliant boy quality education undecided.
APC MUST GO.

You have one working with you
Okay I'm from the east but born and brought up in the north so I know them more than u

Some primary and secondary school in most of the rural environment here is totally free, with books and even feeding.
Some state owned tertiary institution even pay them bursary just to attend schools

I won't generalize it but the ones who are serious and committed always achieve excellence
Let's just summarize this comment by you that you can only force a horse to the river but you can't force it to drink
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Ulunne777(f): 8:29am On Oct 09, 2022
klonboi:

Don't you think if I'm been taught in school in Hausa as my native dialect my retentive capabilities would be 99.99% compared to when taught in English?

What are you even saying?How will they be able to communicate with their fellow countrymen.What's the Lingua franca for?Are they blockheads that they can't absorb another language easier for them.Is Waec ,Neck,Jamb written in Hausa?Can't you see the reason for their perpetual failure yr in yr out?
My kids under 10 read,speak and write Igbo and still converse flawlessly in English and Lil of French.Igbo only at home.

Stop limiting your ppl with this mentality.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Ahmed0336(m): 8:31am On Oct 09, 2022
Obidient4life2:

Elrufai is nothing but a religious bigot.

Did you bother to know or ask why it was reduced to 4 days as to the normal 5 days before calling him a religious bigot?

The way some people reason is embarrassing.

FYI, were you not in this country when insecurity was ravaging Kaduna state and students of tertiary and secondary schools were being kidnapped? Schools were shut for some months until the level of insecurity was improving. Initially, it was three days now it is fours gradually classes will return to normal.

In the case of incompetent teachers; some time back he sacked a good number of teachers who were put to test but failed then he employed more competent teachers twice. Unlike zulum that chose to be shocked, embarrassed by the situation el rufai decides to act.
Mind you even in your village there are cases like these don't make it look like its a northern thing. It's a worldwide thing and in Nigeria northern Nigeria have the highest illiteracy rate when it comes to western education but are good in Arabic so therefore you cannot call them stack illiterate because the understand, read and can write in Arabic the issue here is Arabic is not our official language but English. If most of them can find their way to Arab nations believe me they'd be fine only that they don't like travelling.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by izubext007: 8:45am On Oct 09, 2022
That's true, they can read the signs of guns
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by klonboi: 10:26am On Oct 09, 2022
Ulunne777:

What are you even saying?How will they be able to communicate with their fellow countrymen.What's the Lingua franca for?Are they blockheads that they can't absorb another language easier for them.Is Waec ,Neck,Jamb written in Hausa?Can't you see the reason for their perpetual failure yr in yr out?
My kids under 10 read,speak and write Igbo and still converse flawlessly in English and Lil of French.Igbo only at home.

Stop limiting your ppl with this mentality.

If you were a good student of history you will realize that The Hausa man contributed over 50% to the early civilizations leading to what we have in today's world (more than the British sef). Early technological advancement of today's world evolved from the Hausa people.

No one should be mocked for not embracing English language. Rather one should be encouraged to so as to communicate effectively in today's world.

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 11:21am On Oct 09, 2022
Well, majority of the parents to give a damn about Western education and beside,in Kaduna state we don't have PTA anymore but SBMC (School board management council) however,the SBMC don't also give a damn about their children Western education development but only care when state or world bank give grant to their respective schools.
Na dia you go see all the committee in SBMC show to chop the grant together and afterwards, disappear.
The only place you see SBMC seriousness is in southern Kaduna.

Creeknigga:

OK.
Seems definitely like a foundational problem.
But there should be a forum (PTA) where teachers meet parents to discuss these things.
Not also disputing the fact that the government have a lot to do in this regard.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 11:23am On Oct 09, 2022
Because they prioritize Arabic and Islamic education over Western education that's why you see them doing good in Islamic and Arabic studies.

chysam:

But they don't have issues reading Arabic language perfectly
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 11:27am On Oct 09, 2022
Na u know day one,I was and breed among them and they've been very good host to me till date.I born in Maiduguri and I enjoyed schoolarship from Borno state government till I graduated from the University, I'm not from Kaduna state but I got employment from Kaduna state government (Kaduna State Teachers Service Board).
I have never enjoyed anything from state of origin except bearing the state as my biological state of origin.
iLegendd:
No matter how dull they are, in 20 to 30 years, they'll still be ministers and commissioners — based on regional hereditary. If this doesn't work, they carry guns and still make millions doing evil. Nothing new.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 11:28am On Oct 09, 2022
That is your experience,where I work and the school I teach is different so don't generalized it.
Yampotatocarrot:

If it's North, let the teachers share in the blame also.

I taught in the North during NYSC, most of the teachers were the same. To the extent they didn't even enter classes, just stay in the staff room conversing in Hausa language, then go home at the end of the day. The students didn't like calling them because they knew even if they came to class, nothing will be taught.

I think the Northern governors should do what Almakura did in Nasarawa state. He employed non-indigenes and started them about two levels above the normal level they were supposed to start or so... That's why Nasarawa have a lot of non-indigene teachers, mostly from Benue and the South east
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 11:30am On Oct 09, 2022
Thank you for the corrections, English is not my language and I didn't study English in school.
Nagode all the same.
[quote author=Awoleesu post=117387879][/quote]
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 11:33am On Oct 09, 2022
I'm a non indigenes and so are many of us, Elrufai employed a lot of non indigenes too
so forget that your point jare.
quotee author=Yampotatocarrot post=117388915]

If it's North, let the teachers share in the blame also.

I taught in the North during NYSC, most of the teachers were the same. To the extent they didn't even enter classes, just stay in the staff room conversing in Hausa language, then go home at the end of the day. The students didn't like calling them because they knew even if they came to class, nothing will be taught.

I think the Northern governors should do what Almakura did in Nasarawa state. He employed non-indigenes and started them about two levels above the normal level they were supposed to start or so... That's why Nasarawa have a lot of non-indigene teachers, mostly from Benue and the South east[/quote]
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Tonim(f): 11:50am On Oct 09, 2022
Ulunne777:
He should be.
This is what an NCE graduate posted in Npower group grin.

OMG shocked

Na waa

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Tonim(f): 12:00pm On Oct 09, 2022
eazyduzit:
I'm a teacher with one of the Government Secondary School here in Kaduna state and I can testify,the case is similar here.
From JSS (now UPPER BASIC School) to SSS ( Senior Secondary School) more especially the rural areas, you'll hardly see students that can read.
Dem plenty for my school.

Wow!

Are you from the south or middle belt?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Spiritualife: 12:11pm On Oct 09, 2022
eazyduzit:
I'm a teacher with one of the Government Secondary School here in Kaduna state and I can testify,the case is similar here.
From JSS (now UPPER BASIC School) to SSS ( Senior Secondary School) more especially the rural areas, you'll hardly see students that can read.
Dem plenty for my school.
shey na you supposed teach them to read? You and your colleagues are failing the students in your duties then.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Tonim(f): 12:16pm On Oct 09, 2022
klonboi:

Don't you think it's better they're are tutored in the language they understand?

All this English this English that is not needed as far as education is concerned.

Would you have your children tutored in a language they understand (e.g. hausa, igbo, yoruba
efik, kanuri) other than English?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by klonboi: 1:26pm On Oct 09, 2022
Tonim:

Would you have your children tutored in a language they understand (e.g. hausa, igbo, yoruba
efik, kanuri) other than English?

It's a thing of choice, anyone/tribes/person should be allowed to make choices and since they have chosen theirs it should be respected.

Mind you it wouldn't make you unrecognizable in the world today rather it makes you unique. The Hausa man are responsible for the grains/groundnut/fresh tomatoes and foods you consume today, and likewise the bedrock of ancient civilizations leading today, all these they did without speaking English.

You see oyinbo consuming tomatoes today on tv, do you think such fruit is from Europe?

Please respect the Hausa man today and watch how your country grows in food supply.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Tonim(f): 1:55pm On Oct 09, 2022
klonboi:

It's a thing of choice, anyone/tribes/person should be allowed to make choices and since they have chosen theirs it should be respected.

Mind you it wouldn't make you unrecognizable in the world today rather it makes you unique. The Hausa man are responsible for the grains/groundnut/fresh tomatoes and foods you consume today, and likewise the bedrock of ancient civilizations leading today, all these they did without speaking English.

You see oyinbo consuming tomatoes today on tv, do you think such fruit is from Europe?

Please respect the Hausa man today and watch how your country grows in food supply.

You didn't answer my question
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 3:14pm On Oct 09, 2022
So you expect a Marketing teacher to teach students (not pupils) how to read?
E be like say you no know wetin you dey talk.
Spiritualife:
shey na you supposed teach them to read? You and your colleagues are failing the students in your duties then.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by eazyduzit: 3:15pm On Oct 09, 2022
My dad is from the middle belt while my mom is a Camerounian.

Tonim:

Wow!

Are you from the south or middle belt?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by kingmsookwagh(m): 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2022
It's same thing in kebbi state where I served.

Even worse..
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Kooldame: 5:32pm On Oct 09, 2022
There are some who can express themselves very well in English language but they are very few
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by fman(m): 8:58am On Oct 11, 2022
Omihanifa:

The problem is Hausa, they see it as a sin if a girl that’s not your wife come to visit you. They will just believe it’s sex that’s joining you guys together.
but na them fück pass!!
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Creeknigga(m): 1:21pm On Oct 21, 2022
eazyduzit:
Well, majority of the parents to give a damn about Western education and beside,in Kaduna state we don't have PTA anymore but SBMC (School board management council) however,the SBMC don't also give a damn about their children Western education development but only care when state or world bank give grant to their respective schools.
Na dia you go see all the committee in SBMC show to chop the grant together and afterwards, disappear.
The only place you see SBMC seriousness is in southern Kaduna.

E be many things o!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Admission In Atbu Bauchi / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right / "Lost My Father In 2007, Lost My Mother In 2014, Now A Doctor In 2017". Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.