Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,226 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. (30260 Views)

ASUU Strike: Why Nigerian Students Can’t Protest Against Buhari Govt – Adeyanju / Ultramodern Schools Built By Governor Zulum In Borno (Photos) / Man Embarrassed As Ibadan School Refused Letting Daughter In Because Of Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:15pm On Oct 08, 2022
jaeyking:
Yea there are students who can't speak English
Only their indigenous language, either pigdin, hausa, igbo or Yoruba.

Well he should flush out the teachers and employ new ones

New teachers?

Where from?

The same state?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Grandmeister(m): 8:16pm On Oct 08, 2022
Omihanifa:
It’s a normal thing in the north. Majority of the students can’t read and write. They are only good in Arabic.

It’s an open secret that the north is seriously dragging Nigeria behind in everything. If you have lived in the north before you will understand why am talking about.
They will become senators tomorrow and some will get federal jobs and appointments before Chinedu in anambra with 300 jamb score and a 2.1 in Agric engineering. This is Nigeria were the abnormal is seen as normal.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Cantonese: 8:17pm On Oct 08, 2022
El Eufai was right after all.
Eventually they get the best positions in the country. What a pity.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by klonboi: 8:18pm On Oct 08, 2022
RenaissanceGuy:
Your last line is quite hilarious grin. Reading and writing is not exclusive to English language. If you were born into a Hausa or Igbo family and you are not learned, you'll still not be able to read or write in Igbo or Hausa language.

Don't you think if I'm been taught in school in Hausa as my native dialect my retentive capabilities would be 99.99% compared to when taught in English?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by kernniejay(m): 8:20pm On Oct 08, 2022
jaeyking:

Where are the new ones, unless he imports them from the south.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by kernniejay(m): 8:24pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:

Don't you think if I'm been taught in school in Hausa as my native dialect my retentive capabilities would be 99.99% compared to when taught in English?
But you wont be able to stand at international level and your certificate will be worthless for job outside because your language is only useful in your country and few other North african countries.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Franking: 8:27pm On Oct 08, 2022
Don't make it seems as if it's because of insurgency. Yhe cut off mark for unity schools for the north is an embarrassment to education itself. Funny, though, how they occupy every juicy position. From the NNPC to OPEC. From the Judiciary to the police, customs, army, immigration, prisons, civil defence, air force, navy, etc.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by RenaissanceGuy: 8:30pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:
I believe it'd certainly improve understanding and retention. But there's never an ideal situation anywhere in the world. That's why there are borrowed words from many other languages into English and vice versa
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by iLegendd(m): 8:31pm On Oct 08, 2022
eazyduzit:
I'm a teacher with one of the Government Secondary School here in Kaduna state and I can testify,the case is similar here.
From JSS (now UPPER BASIC School) to SSS ( Senior Secondary School) more especially the rural areas, you'll hardly see students that can read.
Dem plenty for my school.
No matter how dull they are, in 20 to 30 years, they'll still be ministers and commissioners — based on regional hereditary. If this doesn't work, they carry guns and still make millions doing evil. Nothing new.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by klonboi: 8:33pm On Oct 08, 2022
kernniejay:

But you wont be able to stand at international level and your certificate will be worthless for job outside because your language is only useful in your country and few other North african countries.

Brother see h!

If we had translated our books into our various native dialect and everyone is being taught in it's tribe in Nigeria, we would have been far far ahead of so many countries.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by excel112: 8:56pm On Oct 08, 2022
How can they read when they were taught in their local dialect. What a world?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by SaturnNick(m): 8:57pm On Oct 08, 2022
jaeyking:

Wrong move. They should put more emphasis on the upcoming ones.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by DukeofUmueri247: 8:58pm On Oct 08, 2022
Okealaaye:

Not unlike IPOBians! Every child born in communities east of the Great River is a potential bomber. Quote me and bedwet tonight.
You are just daft....I want to bedwet tonight..
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by kernniejay(m): 9:01pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:

Brother see h!

If we had translated our books into our various native dialect and everyone is being taught in it's tribe in Nigeria, we would have been far far ahead of so many countries.
Most of the people that can't read English can also not read their own languages when written. Being able to speak does not automatically mean being able to read or write.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Spandau: 9:04pm On Oct 08, 2022
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Spandau: 9:07pm On Oct 08, 2022
Ulunne777:
He should be.
This is what an NCE graduate posted in Npower group grin.

What? In my own disjointed English, "inkrebidu"! He even wrote with Fulani accent.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by idahsy: 9:07pm On Oct 08, 2022
that is we re talking about north east where there's somehow quality of education, come to north west o boy no be small thing. naija for us bi dat ooooo
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Linesman(m): 9:10pm On Oct 08, 2022
E don Cast, Last, Last, na Everybody Go Chop Breakfast.
The Fire Wey Major General Mohammadu Buhari and His APCheats Lit For Nigeria Go Touch Everybody in Due Course.
Please, Vote Wisely in Next Year's General Election.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by DukeofUmueri247: 9:17pm On Oct 08, 2022
Toluwanise247:
Many student like obi 3rd class student. I don’t like listen to obi he speaks bad English and he express himself for 10 minutes he will speak in tongues.
Your grammar is just like you...Very terrible...
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by altteemy: 9:19pm On Oct 08, 2022
klonboi:

Sure it would be better but what if the discoveries weren't in your local language?

I think it still falls down to interest. Kids grow up speaking and thinking in the language they were raised up with. If there was an interest in them learning English, the parents should have done so early enough.

Most of the knowledge were achieved by western nations and passing that along should be in the language it was aquired in. E.g is there an Hausa variant of H2O or CH3 or the elements on the periodic table? Unless science and technology had been home grown to achieve that knowledge, passing that info in a localized language would be difficult in any country.

Also, if a child whose language is Hausa could still take on the Quran and write out it's words despite Arabic not being his daily conversational language, what stops such a child from easily writing A to Z and simple English words if not for a lack of interest placed by parents and educators towards that line.

I feel a balance of education and religion should be together. The numbers of today are known as Arabic numerals. Maybe letting them know that the Arabian world played a hugely basic part in the mathematics every nation imbibes today would help break any sentiments of education being a brainwashing scheme.

Schools can run Monday till Thursday while letting them have a full day of Friday for unrestricted religious knowledge.

More bonuses and promotions for school heads that have more students passing standardized and closely monitored exams.

Districts with better educated students per population lation should get increased utilities and amenities from education funded programs and grants.

With time, acceptance will increase.

The world is getting global from just everyone's laptop and to have a global relevance and appeal, global wisdom and knowledge is required else their abilities will be stunted.

Wishing you well - Teemy
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by okoroemeka(m): 9:21pm On Oct 08, 2022
Creeknigga:

And don't you think or feel you people (teachers) are not doing enough?
I don't think the teachers will take the whole blame,the society these children grew up contributed more to the problem,

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by DaRuud(m): 9:25pm On Oct 08, 2022
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by CalabarDude(m): 9:26pm On Oct 08, 2022
80 percent of Northern students cant read or write, The learn only Arabic and Quran
..quota system beneficiaries
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by PhantomThief(m): 10:05pm On Oct 08, 2022
LMAO... Come to Otukpo in Benue State where I'm serving, You'll see SS3 Student that doesn't know how to spell their names correctly not to talk of knowing how to read...

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by chakula: 10:34pm On Oct 08, 2022
nkemjacob2:
Y is he surprised. The senior class are even the worst. I was grading bornu waec script. My dear friend Come & see rubbish. Tell me y won't politicians use for their selfish interest

Bros, measuring their performance in grading waec remain equal with their counterpart from the other side of the country. I came across to the student (Sourther /Easterner) who boldly beg for assistance in his booklet that his parents spent all their earnings for his success. I should kindly assist.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by TheGift: 11:06pm On Oct 08, 2022
Creeknigga:

https://punchng.com/zulum-embarrassed-as-jss-students-cant-write-read/

This is the Educational system He inherited from Shettima who now wants to be your VP and defacto President to a sickly Tinubu.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Proudlyomonna: 11:24pm On Oct 08, 2022
jaeyking:

In My State Imo State,are you hearing me, during Owelle's tenure,it was a crime not to take Your child to school undecided
Imo State holds 96% literacy rate, beating Lagos 5 times consecutively in the ranking of the Most Educated State in Nigeria.
A Govt that seeks to educate Her people,are you hearing me?a govt that seeks to educate and empower the minds of Her people will do so at any cost.
The North is very blessed,give this guys quality education and watch them florish,I have one from Kaduna currently working with me,and I always wonder why His parents refused to give the young brilliant boy quality education undecided.
APC MUST GO.

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by kunkelhanspeter(m): 11:53pm On Oct 08, 2022
he found out that of the 224 teachers on the payroll of schools in the LGA, only six were present during his visit, and none of them possessed the requisite teaching qualification.

Can you imagine
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by ajl: 12:43am On Oct 09, 2022
bibianna:
They're students but can't speak English in this country! shocked

Is it a must to teach in English? The problem is that the IQ of Nigeria public officials is so low that they assume that low intelligence is the same as illiteracy in English. You all are the problem.
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by DJInfluence: 3:40am On Oct 09, 2022
Why not get to the root cause. Who employed those unfit teachers? They should be sacked. How was the recruitment done? Am sure if an investigation is carried out, the recruiters must have collected money from the unfit teachers to give them the jobs.
As long as people know there's no repercussion to their actions they will keep doing such.

1 Like

Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by Metatrondivine: 4:44am On Oct 09, 2022
VeeVeeMyLuv:
They prefer to play with bombs

You mean alahkaboom?
Re: Zulum Embarrassed As JSS Students Can’t Write, Read. by chysam: 5:02am On Oct 09, 2022
eazyduzit:
I'm a teacher with one of the Government Secondary School here in Kaduna state and I can testify,the case is similar here.
From JSS (now UPPER BASIC School) to SSS ( Senior Secondary School) more especially the rural areas, you'll hardly see students that can read.
Dem plenty for my school.

But they don't have issues reading Arabic language perfectly

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Admission In Atbu Bauchi / Popular Sayings That Do Not Sound Right / "Lost My Father In 2007, Lost My Mother In 2014, Now A Doctor In 2017". Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.