Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? (25732 Views)

Did You Ever Regret The Choice Of Your Course Of Study? / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / Can I Work And Pursue A Degree At The Same Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Sukkyy2010: 10:25am On Mar 12, 2023
oneolajire:
Regret?

God forbid.

It is just like asking, "do you regret going to primary school?"

It is better to have the degree and of no use for now, than to not have it and need it.
A day is coming, you'll need not just degrees, you'll need masters, PhD, professional certificates etc.

All the certificate is only strictly compulsory to those whom their mindset is programed for job as the only way to earn a living in life. People like me who detest job and embodied with entrepreneurial mindset we don't see certificate a compulsion instead we prioritize creation of wealth which end up pave way for employment for people who believe in job.

From onsets before I enroll for my OND I detest job, and as soon as I finished with my OND, I didn't bother to further, I put hold on further education till further notice, so i embraced creation of cash flow for myself through business and no regression so far.

Life is all about proper planning and good time management, my roommate in poly back then decided to further education to the university, it was a different choice while I decided to start creating wealth for myself. After few years in our different goal pursuit my friend acquired he's degree and while he was in Nysc enrollment that time I was already counting millions and getting myself prepared for my dream business nitch.

Education is good I never detest it, but it's primary for employee mindset people while it's secondary for entrepreneurial mindset people like me e.g bill gate a drop out and lot more.

By the time I finally established my business, furthering my education will be at ease better than having a degree then striving to make a living from paycheck to paycheck while already I'm aged up like my friend now. Education is always available at all time for everyone without age limit but Time is not at the mercy of nobody, if you waste time in the pretex of getting degree and lose opportunity to create wealth and sustainable cash flow hmmm one might not get it right in a lifetime again. The bottom line is

If you see opportunity grab it never forfeit opportunity for education, never make such trade-off because education is always available but opportunity is a bird you must capture failure to capture it and allowed it fly away you might not see it capture again in a lifetime. Shallom

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Mko123(m): 10:39am On Mar 12, 2023
Karlifate:

haybi1 is right.

Not all Engineering discipline are as lucrative as before.

Just do your due diligence before jumping in "Engineering", mae you no go jam kasala cheesy

For someone like me in 400 level studying civil engineering. What chances doni have?
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Cashio(m): 10:40am On Mar 12, 2023
Olachase:
I went to a technical college 3 years (Mechanical Engineering) within 3 years I have worked with 5 manufacturing companies as Mechanical Technician, I'm currently taking home 100+ salary, by next year I will enrolled for OND then HND, my boss told me I will be needing those certificates in future time for promotions and salary bargain, I'm not ashamed I want to start my OND at the age of 27

Pls nairaland guard me Dos and Dont in polytechnic
why polytechnic sir? Any specific reason? If not, why not university straight up instead of OND and HND? I think a University degree would have been a better choice
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 10:45am On Mar 12, 2023
Calibrator:
Wizkid has no place in a circle of intellectuals sharing ideas on how to advance the cause of humanity...

I don't know what you people learnt in school if this is up for debate m
lol

Well according to your explanation Bill gate should be part of the 'intellectuals' that have ideas to advance the cause of humabity

Guesss what...bill gate was also a dropout
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 10:47am On Mar 12, 2023
olisaEze:

The Obi Cubana u mentioned first graduated from school before going into business rather than sitting in one place to wait for a white collar job. Meanwhile, you said things look hard for who? See dis Highway mugu with serious inferiority complex! Be busy imagining other people’s bank statements, instead of being useful to yourself! When u have kids don’t send them to school oo, share them as slaves to others, because your sole purpose on earth is to clap hand. See mentality🤣🤣
albert einsten was home schooled yet he is far more intelligent than your generation

Say something new, because knowledge is not only found in school

You have not answerd why wizkid is rich even tho he is a high school dropout
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by chrisbizplanner: 10:51am On Mar 12, 2023
Sometimes I feel I made a serious mistake going to the tertiary institution.
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel all the efforts, time and money is be wasted.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
Do you ever regret going to school?

You really need to work on your negative mindset.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 10:51am On Mar 12, 2023
Yoighaman:

You sound like an illiterate. When a Lawyer or Doctor writes, you don't need a soothsayer to confirm it.

Fake Lawyer. All your friends are SANs grin You can only deceive gullible people like you. Liar.

Fake Lawyer that is subtly supporting people to drop out of school. Any sane professional will encourage people to get an education and bag goods grades on their certificate.

You better face your low life and go back to school.

I owe you just one more response after this one. I will sent you to your parents and children.

Your problem is you don't know the difference between knowledge and certificate

The reason why we have millions of unemployed graduates is because those graduates went to school for the certificate and not for the knowledge

I will always encourage anyone who wish to go to school to go and get knowledge and not certificate

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Joeev: 10:59am On Mar 12, 2023
Tohsynetita1:

it was a great one.

Oh good to hear! Were you able to transport it to Lagos? Esp without spoilage?
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by ArcFresky(m): 11:03am On Mar 12, 2023
I have two masters degree!.
My earnings is in pounds
I have a Phd offer, I cant accept because I need my company's sponsorship.

Knowledge is not given, it is taken.... you need to explore and read... that's when you have education, not sit down in class and write notes all day.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by oneolajire(m): 11:31am On Mar 12, 2023
Sukkyy2010:
All the certificate is only strictly compulsory to those whom their mindset is programed for job as the only way to earn a living in life. People like me who detest job and embodied with entrepreneurial mindset we don't see certificate a compulsion instead we prioritize creation of wealth which end up pave way for employment for people who believe in job.

From onsets before I enroll for my OND I detest job, and as soon as I finished with my OND, I didn't bother to further, I put hold on further education till further notice, so i embraced creation of cash flow for myself through business and no regression so far.

Life is all about proper planning and good time management, my roommate in poly back then decided to further education to the university, it was a different choice while I decided to start creating wealth for myself. After few years in our different goal pursuit my friend acquired he's degree and while he was in Nysc enrollment that time I was already counting millions and getting myself prepared for my dream business nitch.

Education is good I never detest it, but it's primary for employee mindset people while it's secondary for entrepreneurial mindset people like me e.g bill gate a drop out and lot more.

By the time I finally established my business, furthering my education will be at ease better than having a degree then striving to make a living from paycheck to paycheck while already I'm aged up like my friend now. Education is always available at all time for everyone without age limit but Time is not at the mercy of nobody, if you waste time in the pretex of getting degree and lose opportunity to create wealth and sustainable cash flow hmmm one might not get it right in a lifetime again. The bottom line is

If you see opportunity grab it never forfeit opportunity for education, never make such trade-off because education is always available but opportunity is a bird you must capture failure to capture it and allowed it fly away you might not see it capture again in a lifetime. Shallom

You have this wrong mindset that earning certificates is for seeking job and only earning salary. Where will experience come from if not from getting a job first?

I am a practicing engineering, l need more contracts, I need more professional certificates. I haven't got to the peak of my career and expand.

The sky is just the starting point.

So I should go and learn one handwork or what?

I only reply you cos you only write within your perspective.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by completeskills: 11:31am On Mar 12, 2023
Never .. I stayed some years without getting what I think I deserved with the degree I have earned. But eventually That same degree is what has lifted me today.
I was even beginning to join the bandwagon of "School na Scam," But now...I know better. My degree has helped me and is still helping me today. Am even furthering it now

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 11:41am On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

That's the problem: we KNOW lawyers! Some have been our tenants for some time. You said all your people are SANS. Well, we are not talking of SAN. We all know a SAN already got it made

If you can't argue logically, don't engage with me please.

1. I never said ALL my people are SANS. I said about 4. You just twisted a fact I stated expressly. You are not a person of truth.
2. A SAN is a lawyer first. Your argument says lawyers are never do wells (not in those same words though).

I hate immature conversations.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 11:44am On Mar 12, 2023
completeskills:
Never .. I stayed some years without getting what I think I deserved with the degree I have earned. But eventually That same degree is what has lifted me today.
I was even beginning to join the bandwagon of "School na Scam," But now...I know better. My degree has helped me and is still helping me today. Am even furthering it now

Sure. I encourage people to acquire the degree first. It's better to have the certificate and not use it than not to have it and then need it later. When some people can't make it in school, they're here telling you school is scam. Meanwhile they are writing that nonsense in English which is not even their primary language.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 11:45am On Mar 12, 2023
Sirchiboy:

Can you employ me as your gateman

LOL, bro let's be serious abeg grin
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by wwwtortoise(m): 11:54am On Mar 12, 2023
pansophist:

Thanks, comrade.

I am always open to civil discourse, feel free to table your disagreement concerning my stance. I am also a learner, it is the truth I am after. And yes, the more you know, the more you become conscious of how much you don't know.

Like raalsalghul ask me yesterday one painful heavyweight question like that. I don't even know what or how to answer him. Can you attempt it? grin

Yet another trait I admire a lot ‘being open-minded’
Well then we’re all students and life is the teacher.

Cheers mate!
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by borntoR35(m): 12:09pm On Mar 12, 2023
Sometimes I feel I made a serious mistake going to the tertiary institution.
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel all the efforts, time and money is be wasted.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
Do you ever regret going to school?

Well, while going to school and getting a Degree can give you job. Primarily, school is not meant to give you Job, it is the education (knowledge) you get from school that give you Job.
It is the Education that you receive from school that enables you to get a Job. It can either be that you're self employed or you're hired. Either way education grants you exposure to knowledge to be able to make sound decisions about your life.

School is not meant to give you Job it is Education (knowledge). You need to ask yourself how much of Education (knowledge) have you acquired or has been exposed to in school that can make you self-employed or get yourself hired.

My little cents.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by NoToPile: 12:12pm On Mar 12, 2023
TradingGod:
Ignorant man

Knowledge and Skills gives you jobs and not certificate

If not the millions of unemployed graduates would have been employed by now automatically

The only value your certificate will give you is if you have the opportunity to bribe your way to get a job that is always different from what you studied in school which is actually unethical because it is your knowledge that you studied in the scholl that is supposed to open doors for you and not your 'connections'

So if you have the knowledge and you don't have the certificate which is the basic requirement for that job what happens?

Will organizations reduce their minimum requirement simply because you have the knowledge but not the certificate.

Get the knowledge and get the certificate
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by livinbygrace: 12:13pm On Mar 12, 2023

Chief I had childhood friends who didn't go to the university but they are doing excellently well
I remember a friend of mine during my days in the poly dropped out and went to Italy, today he is doing great also.
I feel the I 8years+ I spent ain't worth it

You had OND 8YRS ago and you already complaining.What of those that have graduated from University and still struggling till date?
You are still young.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Tohsynetita1: 12:14pm On Mar 12, 2023
nony43:

Is there a particular specie it that is better than the rest? Do you need to fight any plant diseases?
species depends on environment you want to plant in.
You will fight disease now, fusarium wilt, verticillium wilt, powdery mildew, Downey mildew, blight, pod necrosis, Anthracnose.
insect like thrips, aphids, red spider mite will also affect it . that where you have to have a better management

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Tohsynetita1: 12:15pm On Mar 12, 2023
Joeev:

Oh good to hear! Were you able to transport it to Lagos? Esp without spoilage?
Yes, it doesn't spoil easily once you store properly.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by OkoAnike(m): 12:18pm On Mar 12, 2023
Olachase:
I Base here in lagos

Assuming you are in East, I would have Link you up to Nekede where you can run a part time program that will not affect your job.
I was once in your shoe, but everything comes easy when I got the Link
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 12:18pm On Mar 12, 2023
NoToPile:

So if you have the knowledge and you don't have the certificate which is the basic requirement for that job what happens?

Will organizations reduce their minimum requirement simply because you have the knowledge but not the certificate.

Get the knowledge and get the certificate
when you are good, companies will find a way to employ you because of your valuable knowledge and skills

Tell me which certificate lionel messi, neymar and wizkid have, yet they are far more richer than 99% of graduates in nigeria

School na scam but na when you handle $1million you go understand
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Sirchiboy: 12:23pm On Mar 12, 2023
hardbody:

LOL, bro let's be serious abeg grin
I am serious please 🙏
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by NoToPile: 1:18pm On Mar 12, 2023
TradingGod:
when you are good, companies will find a way to employ you because of your valuable knowledge and skills

Tell me which certificate lionel messi, neymar and wizkid have, yet they are far more richer than 99% of graduates in nigeria

School na scam but na when you handle $1million you go understand

Okay
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Karlifate: 1:45pm On Mar 12, 2023
Mko123:

For someone like me in 400 level studying civil engineering. What chances do I have?

Civil Engineering is a very good discipline.

Apart from the theories you've been taught in school, learn the practical aspects too. These practical aspects includes site experience & design softwares, like AutoCAD, Orion, Prota Structure, Civil 3D etc.

Familiarize yourself with Construction terms: This is where site experience comes in. When you've been to various construction sites, you'll be acquainted to Construction drawings in your day-to-day activities, you'll also be privileged to ask for clarity on whatever issues that bother you, from the experienced Engineer(s) and the builders.

Also, volunteering works. If you know some big Construction companies or Consultancy firms that has proposed or ongoing construction sites, you can visit the site to volunteer as a fresh Graduate or an entry level Engineer.

This step above👆 is like a small drop 💧 of water, that makes up an ocean. 🌊

Volunteering helps you to build your experience in the Construction industry & also help you to expand your network.
Whenever there's a vacancy in any company or Consultancy firm you've volunteered before, you'll easily be given such opportunity unlike an outsider that's just applying for the role, even if the outsider(s) is/are more qualified than you.

Whenever any of your network decide to start up his or her own firm, they can contact you & easily entrust you with some aspects of their affairs, because of the trust that has been established beforehand.

I won't fail to mention this, good grades are important but your experience & skills are more important & most important. 💯

Besides, we have diverse area of specialization under Civil Engineering. Which area do you want to specialize in?
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by UYEMDO35(m): 1:55pm On Mar 12, 2023
abobote:
Funny enough I have not collected my result since I graduated in 2015
But why? Did you put in for part-time programme?
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by tunize(m): 2:11pm On Mar 12, 2023
Zero regret still want to go back school to obtain another degree one man’s food is truly another man’s poison.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by UYEMDO35(m): 2:11pm On Mar 12, 2023
Our low mentality is too bad
I have problem with black people , must all of us go to school, we are born to be Successful in one way or the other , see mercy and Ronaldo are dey not successful in their chosen career. but since the only way to steal public fund in Nigeria is through paper qualification from university, the fact that some people didn't go to school doesn’t mean they are failures.
Going thru school is jst to make that person not feel inferior amongst his or her colleagues, aside that nothing more.it is possible for someone to go to school and have all necessary academic qualification and stil not be educated so to succeed in life is all about choice and passion.
School is not everything ooo.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Ybholy(m): 2:20pm On Mar 12, 2023
Cox most people spent a lot of money and time to go to school with the hope of graduating to find a job that will give them the money the spent in school back over the years and later, save part of it and find a partner that has saved part of his or her own too to marry and start working and saving and later, start bearing kids and saving to pay their school fees to university level so that they can graduate and find a job to do exactly what their parents did. With hope they can do slightly better or be independent.

What a system 😂😂😂

It’s worst here in Africa cox of the hardships.

I know many western countries has moved past such mentality and structures.

Actually, school is meant to teach you general education. General education is ability to use things around you to find your purpose in life.

It’s so different from our current school system of education. Many graduates can’t define or explain what education is. They’ll always point out to the school system.

That’s why they don’t see someone learning trade as someone acquiring education. They don’t see someone learning mechanic as an educated one. They want the certificate to usually read “University Of bla bla bla “ before they can tag you as an educated one.

Actually, it pisses me off how Nigeria students reason. Esp how they can’t do anything apart from writing and speaking from their textbooks.

A software engineering degree holder can’t format a laptop or install windows software.

A computer engineering degree holder can’t dismantle a laptop or couple back a dismantled computer in Nigeria.

After graduation, he sees himself as a graduate with certificate but he knows nothing about the practical aspect of his certificate.

That’s why most of them go to computer markets to learn the work or serve as apprentice for years.

In that sense, the real education is the one you got in the market, your co-scholars are the neighbors or co-apprentices in the market. Your teacher is the boss that taught you. Not the ones you met at school cox in some years later, you’ll realize you start losing their contacts etc.

Mehn, I got to stop here. I still hate that fact that I hustle to take 1st position while in secondary school and didn’t learn any other skills even though I was very good in fixing things at home. Reality shows itself to me after my Senior WAEC. That’s when I start living.

God will bless everyone living in the real life now. Amen 🙏

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 2:35pm On Mar 12, 2023
I do not regret having a degree.Today I am PhD. And what I have achieved with them are numerous.
THE POOR SEE EDU AS SCAM AND REMAIN POOR AND SOCIOECONOMICALY WEAK. embarassed

THE RICH SEE EDU AS ASSET AND REMAIN RICH AND STRONG. angry
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by pocom16: 2:37pm On Mar 12, 2023
nkemjacob2:
Nope. But I don't like the school I attended
What school did you attend

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Unilag Students Sleep Outside Over Re-absorption Forms (photos) / University Of Ilorin 2015/2016 Admission Thread / Unilag Freshers Seen Climbing Wall To Undergo Their Mandatory Drug Test.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.