Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,926 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? (25731 Views)

Did You Ever Regret The Choice Of Your Course Of Study? / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / Can I Work And Pursue A Degree At The Same Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 3:00am On Mar 12, 2023
OmarBashir:
Everyone no matter how successful they are always feel bad not acquiring a degree especially if they had the opportunity previously. Deep down not acquiring a certificate still haunts your friend. Why do you think most of them do go back to school either for even certificate courses after they are rich.
most of them talk about how well they don't need the certificate once they are successful but deep down it is a subject of pain and regret that they just have to say so as to quench and suppress the regret.

The problem is when you are not rich or way behind BECAUSE you spent a big chunk of your life locked away in school

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by jamesversion: 3:07am On Mar 12, 2023
Sometimes I feel I made a serious mistake going to the tertiary institution.
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel all the efforts, time and money is be wasted.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
Do you ever regret going to school?

Maybe you went to school late, that is why you have this feeling of wasting your time. When I finished secondary school then at 17yrs old, nothing else was worth my time except a university education.

Do I feel its a waste, not in the least.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by prigoz(m): 3:25am On Mar 12, 2023
christejames:

It's obvious the school you graduated from or about to graduate from didn't pass through you as you did the school...

If it did you won't be reasoning this way.
On point

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by DorianD(m): 3:33am On Mar 12, 2023
After 10yrs of joblessness, an back in the classroom studying nursing.....I have regrettably completed
a Bachelor in Chemical Engineering.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by echodrum(m): 3:58am On Mar 12, 2023
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
big mistake. Use the money and go into farming eg, catfish farming, pig farming or poultry. You could have done better.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by IranianSea: 4:00am On Mar 12, 2023
Olachase:
I agreed with you someone told me this too just that after HND even sign board I no day read again
You have yourself the best advice you could ever get now but instead your joking. In years time, you're gonna come in contact with the advice and you cry because you ignored it. The main reason you need certificate is the same reason you should go to University. Do not do OND. Go to University and do your 5 years course which is B.Eng. OND AND HND is a waste of time. Listen now so you won't regret it later in future.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Freelane33(m): 4:07am On Mar 12, 2023
Acquire a skill
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by opribo(m): 4:24am On Mar 12, 2023
I have 2 master's degree from Nigeria after combing the streets I secured a bank job thru man know man the by Gods grace I landed abroad , God worked again I did another master's program on their scholarship but Nigeria refused to release my transcript unless I come down. Long story short out of annoyance I tore everything I faced life. I got a basic salary job in yanky married a yanky and today I am fulfilled by the grace of God.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Godsown0: 4:42am On Mar 12, 2023
1. When your lecturer say 4+4=10 pls write it down for him like that donโ€™t proof to know it all
Olachase:
I went to a technical college 3 years (Mechanical Engineering) within 3 years I have worked with 5 manufacturing companies as Mechanical Technician, I'm currently taking home 100+ salary, by next year I will enrolled for OND then HND, my boss told me I will be needing those certificates in future time for promotions and salary bargain, I'm not ashamed I want to start my OND at the age of 27

Pls nairaland guard me Dos and Dont in polytechnic
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by gentlegenius(m): 5:00am On Mar 12, 2023
haybhi1:
Show me the person in top 10 richest who didn't pass through education - some attended the best schools in their country just to get education and drop out when they did while others graduated - one thing is clear however, they attained education!

Don't fall for the popular ongoing "education na scam" narrative. It is famous for two reasons:
1. The educated ones don't want you educated. They prefer to enjoy whatever prestige it brings alone, alongside their kins. They're glad you continue to look up to them in some ways.
I stopped reading your long post at this point... because...
It is obvious that you don't research or read about some of the most successful people in the world today.
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Henry Ford, Oprah Winfrey, Richard Brandson and others who dropped out of or never attend University at all, yet became rich and successful? Have you thought about WHY people like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates dropped out of school to pursue their business and never went back to complete their education after they became rich?

Personally, I am a graduate, and I regret wasting my time and money in school when I see my peers who never went to school succeeding in their ventures and making more money than I do.
After lots of research, I discovered the sad reality about modern education:
Apart from a few professional courses like Law, Medicine etc, tertiary education is completely useless because...
The world had changed. We are no longer in the Industrial Age. This is Information Age. 95โ„… of the courses we still study today in tertiary schools were designed for the Industrial Age(1920s - 2000). The knowledge acquired through these courses had since expired. People only acquire these expired knowledge for boastfulness, not usefulness. Most of the brilliant students I knew that graduated with 1st class are teaching in private schools today, and most of these private school owners are not even graduates. Education is good, don't get me wrong, but the education that is beneficial today is no longer what you learn from your school curriculum.
Just check around your environment and you'll discover that most of the people who are making good money and are rich, comfortable and successful are business owners who never went to school. Check the top richest people in the world and you'll find people who are investors, business owners, or Information technology gurus who either never attended University, or didn't achieve their feat through the knowledge they acquired in school.
University education was only useful in the past. I believe that the usefulness of a college degree and the knowledge acquired along stops in 2000 when the world changed. In the 90s, I still remember that most of the rich and successful people in my community were those who get good jobs through the degrees they get from Universities. I was in secondary school then, and my father used to point at those people as examples to motivate me to study hard, pass my exams, go to University, get a degree and succeed like them. That is no longer the case today. WHAT HAPPENED? The world changed! Hence, people must change to adapt to the new order or be left behind. Millions of graduates are idle today, and even the ones that manage to get jobs are actually underemployed. It's not only a Nigerian problem, its global.
Pls research about this things and you'll discover even more than what I told you here.
Watch the video below to see what the richest and most successful people are saying about a college degree... they are not saying this to discourage you from reaching their level. They actually know something you don't know: THE WORLD HAS CHANGED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8QY0NDWqzk

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 5:07am On Mar 12, 2023

Without my degree I won't be where I am today and be able to plan for where I will be tomorrow. I am happy I went to school and studied my chosen course. In my next life I will do the same only this time, I will start earlier and put in more effort.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by kaymart: 5:08am On Mar 12, 2023
lordparcel:
Which degree can an art student go for apart from law

All are good except law
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 5:14am On Mar 12, 2023
opribo:
I have 2 master's degree from Nigeria after combing the streets I secured a bank job thru man know man the by Gods grace I landed abroad , God worked again I did another master's program on their scholarship but Nigeria refused to release my transcript unless I come down. Long story short out of annoyance I tore everything I faced life. I got a basic salary job in yanky married a yanky and today I am fulfilled by the grace of God.

Did you also tear the knowledge and skills acquired? That bro, is the real education. The certificate is only proof that you acquired those skills. Dont get it twisted bro
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 5:18am On Mar 12, 2023
kaymart:

All are good except law

I am a lawyer.
I live in my personal house - in designated High brow part of Lagos
I have other landed properties, some outside Lagos
I have reasonable investments in cash and near cash
I go for vacation in choice environments yearly
I run a charity and help people
I have a number of movable assets (choice cars)
I am in my 40's.
I will always be a lawyer.
QED.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:22am On Mar 12, 2023
DevilSignature:

History and International Relations

English studies
Theater Arts and Film Studies
Foreign languages and Literature
Cultural and Religious Studies
Linguistics and Communication
Philosophy
Communication and Media
Fine Arts

What's he going to do with such courses in Nigeria?
Whoever studies such courses in Nigeria will definitely join the ''school is scam'' gang upon graduation.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 5:23am On Mar 12, 2023
haybhi1:
On a deeper note, dear people, please listen.

Do! Not! Be! Ever! Deceived!
Education is not and can never be a scam!

Being helped with miracle centres, and helped with admission, and graduating with lower, 3rd class, pass etc is not education and is barely ever going to fix you anywhere in another person's business! I mean even you will not employ yourself with this kind of result!

How can education be a scam? The question is not education but locking yourself away from real life for 5 years in the name of obtaining a certficate of dubious practical value!
Anyway, this billionaire below says THAT is a scam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad1t6ZjZaXE

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 5:27am On Mar 12, 2023
hardbody:

I am a lawyer.
I live in my personal house - in designated High brow part of Lagos
I have other landed properties, some outside Lagos
I have reasonable investments in cash and near cash
I go for vacation in choice environments yearly
I run a charity and help people
I have a number of movable assets (choice cars)
I am in my 40's.
I will always be a lawyer.
QED.

Ok, what percentage of Nigerian lawyers can say same? Give us a number

4 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Tohsynetita1: 5:35am On Mar 12, 2023
Joeev:

Bro, pls hwfa ur water melon farming? Can we talk about it?
no problem.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Papilagreen: 5:35am On Mar 12, 2023
Olachase:
I went to a technical college 3 years (Mechanical Engineering) within 3 years I have worked with 5 manufacturing companies as Mechanical Technician, I'm currently taking home 100+ salary, by next year I will enrolled for OND then HND, my boss told me I will be needing those certificates in future time for promotions and salary bargain, I'm not ashamed I want to start my OND at the age of 27

Don't give up.. I was on that trail a while back but today I am above all that as long as you have your dream and stay focused.

Are you specialized in automobile mechanic?
Pls nairaland guard me Dos and Dont in polytechnic
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 5:36am On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Have you carried out a research? I haven't. But my colleagues in my year of call to bar are mostly doing well. At least a few are in executive management teams of their companies, including banks, some are doing very well in practise, at least 4 are in the election teams representing different contestants, all of them are SANS, we have 2 judges from our stable, a number relocated , etc. They all studied law. Fact is most of you don't even know what lawyers do and how far their reach can be in the employment market. Ya'll think all lawyers must don wig and gown and go to court. Some of those guys are going through pupillage to learn the basics before they explode. Bring your research based figures and let us discuss, else please do not engage with me any further. Your present minister, Fashola is a lawyer, as an instance.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PythonPros: 5:47am On Mar 12, 2023
Not in the least. I am grateful for it
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PythonPros: 5:49am On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Very good question

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 5:59am On Mar 12, 2023
olisaEze:
If as an adult you still think the only point to schooling is just so you can get a job, all your education is a waste. Knowledge is a tool and not an end in itself, only a bad workman quarrels with his tools. Whoever told you your degree certificate is an automatic ticket to the good life?? If you like dropout in your final year, wetin concern NL, na only you go regret am later! grin
Billgate dropped out and he is richer than your generation cheesy
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 6:02am On Mar 12, 2023
Yoighaman:
@OP

If you think going back to school is expensive or a waste of time, you should have tried ignorance.

Don't let anyone deceive you, education is one of the best and most expensive gift you can give to yourself.

Like I'd always say; it is better to have a certificate you don't need, than to need a certificate you don't have.

Complete your education and go out there in faith. God will sort you out.
lol
A man that believe that certificate and education are the same thing is the biggest ignorant man in the room
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 6:07am On Mar 12, 2023
hardbody:

Have you carried out a research? I haven't. But my colleagues in my year of call to bar are mostly doing well. At least a few are in executive management teams of their companies, including banks, some are doing very well in practise, at least 4 are in the election teams representing different contestants, all of them are SANS, we have 2 judges from our stable, a number relocated , etc. They all studied law. Fact is most of you don't even know what lawyers do and how far their reach can be in the employment market. Ya'll think all lawyers must don wig and gown and go to court. Some of those guys are going through pupillage to learn the basics before they explode. Bring your research based figures and let us discuss, else please do not engage with me any further. Your present minister, Fashola is a lawyer, as an instance.

That's the problem: we KNOW lawyers! Some have been our tenants for some time. You said all your people are SANS. Well, we are not talking of SAN. We all know a SAN already got it made

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 6:08am On Mar 12, 2023
Calibrator:
Until you find it difficult to knock on some doors or air your views in some circles because you don't have the necessary certification.

Formal Education is never a waste... You can get away with some privileges in this country on the basis of having Bsc alone

I can never be associated in a circle that look down on people because of their educational qualification.

That is a small mindset association

Only people with low self esteem will take such a circle serious
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Olachase(m): 6:11am On Mar 12, 2023
Prechgold1180:

I m 25 done my ND and HND almost done with youth service just 3 months remaining
Life has been so good lately

So you free to ask me any questions about polytechnic
did you regret going to poly instead of uni
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 6:14am On Mar 12, 2023
kkins25:

Of the hundreds of players from different countries, there are just a hand full of them that are considered GOAT. Sometimes, opportunities, Genetics, among others puts some individuals ahead of every one else. If i put your remove your brain and put inside mark's head, im sure we wouldn't have facebook.

Change your mindset young man

Anybody can be the Goat in whatever field they find themselves as long as they are dedicated to what they do

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 6:17am On Mar 12, 2023
peoplewww:

Sure. But if you go and use 3 million naira and study sociology instead of using it to find something doing in Nigeria, then you need your head examined.
my brother it pains me that alot of graduate don't know the difference between knowledge and certificate

Many Graduates have certificate but only few have the knowledge
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 6:19am On Mar 12, 2023
ukaface:
My uncle a verrrrrrry riiiiiiich man, had to go back to the uni to get degree some years back and my mum was asking him what the essence of the degree was, me too sef no go bother if I were in his shoes. He replied โ€˜ if they are calling people that went to university to raise up hand, I will be among themโ€™ you may not see the importance now because of the situation of Nigeria, but then itโ€™s like an added prospect for you.
You saw the reason to go back to the uni after your OND let that reason keep motivating, after school you might end up being considered for a seat in an office just cos of your certificate. Make person just Dey pray for grace.

Your uncle have low self esteem ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 6:27am On Mar 12, 2023
APCNig:

Without education, the only jobs you can do in Europe is menial jobs which will also get h you money, but will strip you of your dignity
WTF are you spewing?

Your nigerian degree can not give you any good job in Europe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Unilag Students Sleep Outside Over Re-absorption Forms (photos) / Candidates Should NOT Buy Post-utme Forms As Post UTME Remains Cancelled-nuc / UTME: 1.4 Million out of 1.8 Million Scored Less Than 200

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.